WapitiBob 02-Mar-17
Ward's Outfitters 05-Mar-17
OFFHNTN 06-Mar-17
Mike-TN 06-Mar-17
midwest 15-Mar-17
StickFlicker 15-Mar-17
SteveB 15-Mar-17
28-Feb-17
Myself and 3 buddies have 14 points for elk in AZ after this year and are "non-residents". When we started getting points, we all agreed we wanted to do an archery hunt during the rut. Now 14 years later and getting older, we'd like to do this hunt in 2018 if possible (but would be willing to wait another year or two at the most if it would mean a MUCH better hunt). Anyone have any advice on which units we stand the best chance at drawing with 14 points, and/or outfitter recommendations?! I realize being a party of 4 may hurt some of our options, but I need to get this started!!!

28-Feb-17
Pm'd you John...

28-Feb-17
Would be easier to predict 2018 when the draw odds for 2017 are out. One thing to look for with your big group is how many NR tag can go in the bonus round. With the change last year it is capped at 5%. That means you need to be the top point holders to get those 4 tags to guarantee a draw. That being said, you should draw early archery in all mid-tier units, and have a chance at some of the better units.

28-Feb-17
For what it's worth...if I were in your shoes, I would apply individually for a unit one archery tag. That way you could possibly hunt three times. The rut hunts in AZ are awesome and I would go just to call and experience. I believe you might be a year maybe two away from the unit 1 tag.

28-Feb-17
I don't know much about Arizona but I would do as 400 suggests. Hunting monster bulls with a friend and a camera in your hand could be a lot of fun.

28-Feb-17
Thanks Cory, PM'd you back.

wildwilderness, thanks. And I agree!

I do like the idea of applying individually as well, BUT we all have lives, jobs, families, and OTHER hunts we want to do so simply getting the 4 of us to go together ONCE has been found to be a chore. I highly doubt we would be able to pull it off 2 or 3 times.

28-Feb-17
Luckily AZ looks at your first 2 choices. You could put a good unit that you have a chance at 1st, then a decent one that you would be fine hunting as 2nd choice. Looking at the odds, If I were you I would do unit 27 as 1st choice, as it appears to be the only "good" unit you guys will have a chance at. Horses, at least to pack out, would be a benefit there. and with 4 people be prepared to split up to hunt, even for days apart, if you all want success on good bulls.

28-Feb-17
I would do EXACTLY what 400 told you to do. All of you go each time. You will have 3 great trips rather than one.

01-Mar-17
With that many points I would be careful about your choices. You could put a 2nd choice that would go in the bonus round and end up with little to no chance of your first choice being drawn if your points don't qualify you for that unit. AZ rut hunts are fantastic even in the mid tier hunts.

01-Mar-17
I shouldn't be a negative nancy...

WildWilderness has the hunt you can draw in your time frame.

01-Mar-17
do what 400 said

02-Mar-17
WapitiBob - Negative about what?

Still looking for thoughts/input/outfitters/etc.?

02-Mar-17
Give us a call at Wards Outfitters , We can give you advise on units to apply and what to expect. Steven Ward 520-404-5114

02-Mar-17
I sent you a PM

02-Mar-17
Steven, You are on the shortlist of calls I am going to make!!! Thanks!

02-Mar-17
Ward's kills some giants in units you guys can draw right away.

02-Mar-17
yep

05-Mar-17

Ward's Outfitters's embedded Photo
Just a few Ward's Outfitters Bulls

06-Mar-17
Steven, KNOCK IT OFF ya big tease!

06-Mar-17
You might also look at 7 west which you would have a good chance at drawing this year. Make sure you take the whole two weeks of the season to hunt if at all possible.

15-Mar-17
AZ card hits soon?

15-Mar-17
They should start Friday morning. Good luck all...except those that put in for MY HUNTS!

15-Mar-17
I'll be watching starting Friday morning!

• Sitka Gear