nvgoat 01-Mar-17
TD 01-Mar-17
Jaquomo 02-Mar-17
IdyllwildArcher 02-Mar-17
Lost Arra 02-Mar-17
cnelk 02-Mar-17
Buglmin 02-Mar-17
28-Feb-17
I will (likely) draw a general tag next year, and while I have some areas in mind I am also intrigued by the wilderness. The law sucks but it is what it is, can anyone recommend an outfitter or three I can begin researching?

01-Mar-17
I hunted sheep with Muleshoe Outfitters out of Pinedale. They were great guys and also do backcountry elk with good results. Fun to be around and solid hunters. Contact Dustin Wright.

01-Mar-17
Mistake Justin Wright not Dustin

01-Mar-17
Jaq has a couple, um.... leads you might check out......

02-Mar-17
TD, since they changed the rules and made it so residents have to get some dumb paperwork to be a "resident guide", our impromptu hippie chick idea sort of went away.

Leave it to the government to screw up a good thing. ..

02-Mar-17
Wyoming has a ton of elk outside the wilderness. If you have a General tag and want to hunt without a guide, hunt without a guide outside the wilderness. If you want to hunt with a guide, hunt with a guide. There's nothing keeping you from either.

If you're going to go with a guide, I wouldn't go out of Pinedale - in 97 at least. The elk there are certainly in the wilderness, but that herd is shot to Hell. I'd look into getting into 69 or one of the eastern Yellowstone units that are 100% wilderness if you're going to go the wilderness/guide route with a General tag and take a look at the unit and outfitter's success rates on bulls. The WY F&G lists who are legally allowed to guide each unit - you'll find it on the website. I'd look at it and hit their websites and narrow your search down to a number of outfitters, then come back and list them and get people's opinions on them.

If you're just looking for an outfitted hunt with a General tag, there's a ton of units with private ranches that have great hunts for elk if you're looking to pony up the money. If you're looking for a public land wilderness hunt, you also have a lot of options. Perhaps tell us exactly what you're interested in.

02-Mar-17
I bet the impromptu hippie chicks moved to hunts in non-wilderness areas

02-Mar-17
the impromptu hippie chicks are prob making meth now since the 'guide thing' dried up

02-Mar-17
Hey Lou, I think your Hippie chick is now running hunters down here in the San Juan Forest. From what I've heard, she has donated a hunt to the SCI banquet for the Farmington Chapter...I'm thinking of bidding on it...course, once those guys get drunk, they'll run the price way up...

• Sitka Gear