willliamtell 06-Mar-17
Glunt@work 06-Mar-17
12yards 09-Mar-17
Ironbow 09-Mar-17
LINK 09-Mar-17
28-Feb-17

HerdManager's embedded Photo
HerdManager's embedded Photo
So I'm watching Savage Outdoors tonight, and see an episode I saw a while back. Guy bowhunting in Texas, and it appears to me his draw length is way, way off. When I first saw this episode months ago I actually emailed the show and suggested he try to shorten the draw length. Not being a smart ass. I used to have a draw that was too long and it really hurt my shooting. I know cameras can be deceiving, but it looks to me like it needs to shorten by 3"-4"?? Never seen anyone with a draw that far back.

28-Feb-17
DUHHHHH........lol

28-Feb-17
Oh my.

28-Feb-17
Yeah, but with that extra speed he can sure miss fast!

01-Mar-17
Every time I hear of the "behind the neck" anchor......

I'm sure it works on the range, most of the time, with field points (or mechs). IMO too long a draw length is right up there with grip torque as the most common form issues. Hands..... um, down.... so to speak....

01-Mar-17
Retina lock is not supposed to be touching your peep to your retina.

01-Mar-17
I saw this earlier in the year when this episode played before(either that or I saw a similar situation with the same deal on an older show with Mike Stroff). I took a picture of it just like you did and texted it to a friend. LOL!

01-Mar-17
Lol idyll

01-Mar-17
He never replied to my email.

I think he rep's Elite bows. You'd think someone at Elite or another Elite shooter might help him out.......

01-Mar-17
He's supposed to be a Pro?!!! What a jerk! He doesn't even know how to shoot a bow! I'm much better than him!

There, I feel a lot better about myself now.

01-Mar-17
Is there a guy sitting behind him drawing the bow while he holds it?

01-Mar-17
I always anchor with the caliper on my release barely touching the back of my neck.;)

On the bright side, my 32" draw length is longer than yours, be jealous you short armed losers. ;)

01-Mar-17
Hey, come on now, those guys know what they're doing... after all, they're on T.V.!

01-Mar-17
Hey, EVERYTHING is bigger and better in Texas ! When he was hunting " up north " his elbow was probably in the corner of his mouth ! :)

01-Mar-17
Wow!!! I was over-drawed about 1 1/2 inches for years. I didn't know any better. Pro-shop apparently just wanted to sell a bow. . . Anyways, it REALLY hurt my shooting. And made fixed blade shooting darn near impossible.

How the heck can he even draw that? What's his anchor?

01-Mar-17
It's hard to tell from the camera angle when he actually shoots, but it appears his hand is way back, maybe touching his neck??

It's the off-season, we need something to talk about....

01-Mar-17
That's funny, because I've watched this show in the past and ALWAYS commented that his draw length is WAY too long.

01-Mar-17
Is that Mike Stroff? Looks like he is just coming to full draw. Bet it looks nothing like that when he settles in.

Been a few years but he grew up with a buddy of mine and last time I saw him was a good guy living the dream.

01-Mar-17
Good way to get his honker smoked if he turns his head to far into the string. God Bless men

01-Mar-17
Rickm is correct, once he settles in it looks nothing like the pic. I have been in a camp with him and trust me, he is a way better then average shot. Scooby

01-Mar-17
WV, I ain't had my honker smoked in awhile, but I can still remember..............faintly........

02-Mar-17
So he's just got a weird draw where he doesn't straighten his front arm until after his back hand is behind his ear or neck? Otherwise he's out of the valley if he settles his anchor anywhere near normal. Makes my shoulder hurt trying it even without a bow.

02-Mar-17
I'm confused? How do you "settle in" to a shorter draw from that position? Is his bow arm bent a great deal when he draws and everything moves forward when he gets to full draw?

All modern bows I know of have a draw stop. Your draw is what it is.... it hits the stops and there is no more..... if you creep your anchor forward you're moving out of the valley and about to get tossed on your face.....

To me, not seeing the whole thing I guess. He looks like a proponent of the thumb behind the neck anchor. Having seen a bunch of em defend that anchor and form on AT.... It's like some speed cult.... I'd bet a beer or three he shoots mech heads as well, because with a draw like that constancy needed to shoot a fixed head is pretty tough. That stuff is the poster child for HAVING to shoot mech heads. That a person actually kills things with it does not mean it is "good" form in any way, shape or, um.... form.....

I'm no archery coach, but set up several bows for folks every year, some I "guide" them on shooting by default. If I had someone come to me set up to shoot like that I'd strongly recommend some serious changes to their bow and their form. If they said no thanks.... I'd say have a nice life..... get somebody else to work on it....

02-Mar-17
TD, what I am saying is that at the moment the picture is showing it looks like he is just getting to full draw. The string looks to me like it is several inches to the side of his face and his head is thrust forward. Overbowed maybe or in an awkward position? You can find dozens of picks of him at anchor that don't look too bad. I'll bet that a screen shot at the right time can make anyone look bad.

Or I could be totally wrong. Won't be the first or last I'm sure.

02-Mar-17
That's the action shot for all the new hunters, nothing like teaching by example.

02-Mar-17
That's the action shot for all the new hunters, nothing like teaching by example.

02-Mar-17
His bow arm is straight in that photo. I didn't get the entire screen in the photo, but his arm is straightened.

It looks super awkward just to watch it, gotta be even more awkward to try and shoot like that.

I guess guys will do anything to get a few more FPS?

02-Mar-17
It must have worked for the Japan based archers a few centuries ago.

06-Mar-17
Found this video on Youtube where he is practicing and shoots a couple of arrows at the 2:30 mark.

06-Mar-17
Looks to me like his draw length is too long and he turns his head to the right to bring his nose to the string, otherwise the string is drawn beyond his nose.

06-Mar-17
I agree with Mike. He adjusts his body/head to fit the bow. Crappy follow through also. I will bet he kicks puppies too.

06-Mar-17
I would tell him his draw is too short in that video. Bow comes back with his head up and relaxed and the string is still 1" away. Probably shooting a dinker 32" a2a bow and he has to drop his head to get to the string and peep.

06-Mar-17
Mike looks like a real hunter, and his settled in position doesn't seem nearly as rearward as the first image. I personally give him a pass on the variance in his form, though as others note it's probably not the one you'd teach somebody (unless you're Mike).

06-Mar-17
Ever seen pro golfer Jim Furyk swing? Looks pretty funky but it works for him.

09-Mar-17
Good job TD! Always get a slam against mechanical heads if you can! LOL.

09-Mar-17
Looks like he likes to turn his head to the left and then turns it back. Draw is still a bit too long, but a lot of folks learn to do things wrong and make it work.

Some guys like to do all kinds of weird turns and bumps and things getting settled in. Michael Waddell used to do something similar where he would bump the string into his face 3-4 times before actually anchoring. He no longer does that (last time I watched which has been awhile).

Watch the best shooters in the world. They come straight back, anchor and get on target. Maybe these guys just do this for the camera ;-)

09-Mar-17
I have to watch next weeks to see if he gets the effin bear. No thanks!

• Sitka Gear