moch 07-Mar-17
master guide 07-Mar-17
butcherboy 07-Mar-17
BULELK1 07-Mar-17
butcherboy 07-Mar-17
HDE 07-Mar-17
ohiohunter 07-Mar-17
02-Mar-17
Who can recommend a outfitter for this area? I would like to apply but the Valles Caldera website showing outfitters who are permitted to guide is not working like it should. Thanks for your help.

03-Mar-17
I don't know an outfitter out there but I can sure hook you up with the biologist for that area and I bet he knows one. PM me if interested.

07-Mar-17
Contact Dave with Droptine Outfitters 505-320-6036. He probably has more experience than anyone else.

07-Mar-17
You don't need a outfitter in the VC. I think you would be better served saving your money. There are lots of elk and you will have multiple shot opportunities a day.

07-Mar-17
I would go DIY, way to many elk to hire some one to take you.

07-Mar-17
Call Ric Martin in Jemas Springs outfitter on the Baca Location now Valas Caldera a made up name by the gov. ric was the outfitter there for years before it went down hill.

07-Mar-17
It won't increase odds as a NR. You can't scout even as a resident until the day before the hunt. The only value I see in hiring a guide is if you don't have any experience hunting elk. Lots of elk there.

07-Mar-17
The NMex Guide $cam is in the appl. Not the Guiding

Give the OP an honest break

I would go with USO IF I wanted to use the guide $cam option

Good luck, Robb

07-Mar-17
I meant that it won't increase his odds in killing an elk. That's why I said you can't scout until the day before the hunt. Resident or NR

07-Mar-17
You can get backcountry permits now prior to the hunt...

A lot of the roads have now become mountain bike trails.

But as mentioned, too many elk to worry about not getting one unless you can't shoot.

07-Mar-17
I agree its practically elk mecca and a guide is not needed, but gotta have a golden ticket before you can cash it in.

• Sitka Gear