HUNT MAN 07-Mar-17
Bowfreak 08-Mar-17
LUNG$HOT 08-Mar-17
jordanathome 09-Mar-17
jordanathome 09-Mar-17
HUNT MAN 09-Mar-17
jordanathome 09-Mar-17
05-Mar-17
I have been looking at 49 but wife convinced me to look hard at Unit 20 for this fall. I will draw a deer tag with my point so it makes sense to elk hunt there as well. Feel free to PM me if you care to share any guidance. I get that there are boundary restrictions with all the small in holding private and the Park. I have a GPS with the Hunt OnX chip so I will be able to track where I am in relation to no go zones and maintain a healthy buffer. Plan to start up the Middle St. Vrain and check out multiple drainages from there, as well as the lower elevation NSF land north of Ward where I know I will find deer from turkey hunting it in the past. Thanks in advance! I've been chasing elk in CO (and participated on Bowsite) since 2006 and have yet to connect, not that I haven't had opportunities. Hoping this year is the year!

05-Mar-17
20 is a pretty tough unit with all the private land. Elk get hunted from August through January so they know where they are generally safe. There is some super rough, remote spots you may be able to backpack into to find bulls. You may need to be willing to climb cliffs and hike some rough, remote country where there may only be scattered elk. Also be aware that there may be cow rifle hunters that are hunting the same time? Sounds like you already have a start having deer and turkey hunted the area. Stick with it, lace up your hiking boots, and you'll be successful!

06-Mar-17
Which state? CO? WY is the only state that has drawn tags so far this year.

06-Mar-17
Colorado....yes I know the deadline for CO is not yet here.

06-Mar-17
Jordan, I'll help you out. Your drought ends this year! One condition, you have to write up your hunt for us here on Bowsite. Deal?

06-Mar-17
Better hop on that Jordan.................

Love that about Bowsite! Good work otcWill

07-Mar-17
If you don't take Will up on his offer. You my friend are missing out! He gets it ! Best of luck ! Hunt

08-Mar-17
Sounds like the drought is over Jordan. I can't wait to read your story.

08-Mar-17
Jordan, Will just handed you the golden egg! You better sit on that thing and keep it warm! :-) Can't wait to read about your hunt!

09-Mar-17
Hell I shared my hunt stories every year on Bowsite....the Tag Soup Series as I like to call it.

Thanks Will. I have my backcountry permits for Indian Peaks but sounds like that is a bit of a long shot. Sure wish I had saved all of John Lear's old scouting trip pics and stories.......very sad that he shut down Elk Heaven.

I have to say, I've had plenty of opportunities. Very few years have I not been close.....last year I didn't see an elk in 13 days of hunting after having them on camera and knowing where a 5x5 was hiding out. That was an exception for me.

My problem is I get an opportunity and hesitate. I need to be decisive and gamble not over think the shot, the angle, and on and on.....sigh.

I thought I had it made in 2010 when I drew into 39 and Aron the Elk Reaper promised to help me on my scouting trip and even on my hunt if he got his other buddies tag filled in time. He got busy and we never got hooked up. I still got into an amazing opp with an old weathered 5x5 and his troop of cows all by my lonesome but didn't close the deal. Coulda, shoulda, shot one of the cows but was too aggressive trying to get close to the bull.

Then there was the time in 25 back in 2006 or 2007 when a 6x6 stepped out broadside at 30 yards on the skid trail above me. Stood there for a good couple minutes looking at me. I was nocked on but afraid to raise and draw.....even when he looked away up the hill (which ended up being his escape route). That one hurts.....he was awesome and I have no excuse......other than hesitation.

Called a young bull and his 2 cows in on the run for my buddy down in 77 one year 5 or 6 years ago. That was cool. It was like the 4th or 5th calling setup where I imitated a cow in estrus and a young bull harassing her. They were galloping in.....almost ran over my buddy who had no shot as he ducked outta the way. Then they stopped, realized they been fooled, and freaked out going for all exits at once. That was a hoot.

Dropped the string on a cow in 77 at dusk in 2013, or 2012, hell I can't remember. She was less than 20 yards broadside. Arrow hit something literally a foot from the boiler room and careened straight up in the air just short of glory.

sigh.......I've had a lot of fun but no meat in the freezer. But is sure as hell ain't been from lack of trying or not knowing how to find or get into the elk.

Poor me. LOL

You want a story. No problem although I always forget to take enough pics.

09-Mar-17
Will is accomplished, for sure, but I was really hoping TBM would step up for me. LMAO

09-Mar-17
Your elk hunting career sounds like one good day of hunting with Will! Until you hunt with someone that gets it you never Will! Hunt

09-Mar-17
Thank GOD his one condition was not that I have to get into shape. LOLOLOLOL! i will

• Sitka Gear