Bullhound 15-Mar-17
Missouribreaks 15-Mar-17
ROUGHCOUNTRY 15-Mar-17
Bigdan 15-Mar-17
08-Mar-17

houndy65's Link
This needs to stop.

08-Mar-17
Not going to happen - tribal laws and issues are so complex and rooted deep into our countries history.

Not saying I don't agree with you but once you get into Native American issues and a population that really doesn't care what we say and we have no real recourse.

Frustrating I know.

08-Mar-17
They ought to invoke the halfbreed rule. Take Dna test of the individuals and if they have European and or Oriental trace they don't qualify for treaty rights. treaty rights were for the tribes not the halfbreeds . That should cut down the eligibles. Non of this upto 1/36 rule crap.

08-Mar-17
There is Federal jurisdiction over the treaty rights. If they break Federal Law they can be prosecuted, though I doubt the FBI or Bureau of Indian Affairs cares that much about these hunts with so many other violent criminal problems and social issues on Reservations.

08-Mar-17
It's just as bad in Idaho around Lapwai and in the SW corner by Owyhee. Many critters just shot and left laying around. I've seen it way too many times and it makes my blood boil.

P.S. I am a registered tribal member and it frustrates me so bad.

08-Mar-17
Treaty or not, shooting across roads is wreckless use of a firearm and a chargeable offense.

"Indian rights" only pertain to common human decency and all other civil rights and liberties, not the hoop and hollar display of "hunting".

Time to end reservation treaties...

08-Mar-17
I don't know the answer, but yeah that has to stop. But the FWP Rep was totally hypocritical talking about "Not hunting them when their vulnerable on their winter range"... JS

09-Mar-17
Yeah this is a bad situation. It doesn't look good on anyone.

09-Mar-17
It's not just up north. We've got huge issues with the Southern Ute here in sw Colorado as well. Some are allowed up to five bucks a year, and they hammer the huge mulies during the rut and on wintering grounds. Now, they found a loop hole and units that are high demand units that guys wait over 20 years to draw tags, they hunt whenever they want and can't be stopped. Most are hunting now strictly for the trophies.

09-Mar-17
"allowed up to 5 bucks a year" come to Canada - it's unlimited slaughter for anyone with native descent. UN - limited. One guy I ran into in Sep killed 29 bucks by early Sep this past year.

I'm actually shocked I thought it was just our country that was so backwards. In reality the more these types of things hit the news - the better it is. The more the masses become aware of the stupidity the closer I feel like we get to a legitimate resolution.

09-Mar-17
They march to their own drummer and not anything we outside can do. they have their own game and fish departments and Draft their own laws. at least here in NM they understand the dollar value associated with trophy animals and run their operations pretty good. I said most of them their are still some that well I will stop there.

09-Mar-17
I understand that they can "march to their own drummer" on their own lands, but it is obvious they lack that spiritual connection to nature that we have all been told so much about all through our so called "education"... The old "They only take what they need" joke.

09-Mar-17
There was a 208" ram killed in idaho by a Subsistence hunter, Locally they have basically killed several deer units in Oregon.

Beyond that I have no comments left that are even close to politically correct.

09-Mar-17
Buglmin is correct. I do know, however, of an incident where some SUIT hunters were pinched for shooting a cow elk in December that was on SUIT land while they were on state land. Poaching basically...

09-Mar-17
A complex issue probably tied in some way into the historical treatment we gave native tribes. That being said, I'm sure there are lots of tribal folks who are as disgusted by wanton waste as anyone else, and this Gardiner situation didn't used to occur. Sad that hasn't reached some level of tribal shaming and self-policing. Maybe certain treaty elements can be renegotiated - there is a lot of money flowing to reservations.

09-Mar-17
I think you're dealing with the same problem on Indian reservations as Black ghettos......Fatherlessness and lack of role models. The one photo floating around looked like a group of young guys. They probably have never been shown the proper way to hunt or take care of animals they've killed. Happens when you feed generations of people government commodities who used to be self sustaining warriors.

09-Mar-17
There is no need to renegotiate anything as we aren't at war still, are we?

Plain and simple,reservations really aren't needed anymore...

10-Mar-17
I hunted deer on a reserve in Alberta one year. There was 5 of us, it was a guided hunt. The other guys got there a couple of days before me. None of them had shot anything. The day I arrived, the outfitter learned one guide had shot 7 bucks that week, doing it at night. The ground was snow covered and we had a full moon which made it possible. The guide was fired but the damage was done. I was the only one who got a deer that week. I don't hunt on reserves (reservations) any more.

10-Mar-17
Phase out the reservation system immediately. Let the tribe members homestead and the remaining Lands be disposed off onto public and private entities .

12-Mar-17
Was over shed hunting in Paradise Valley yesterday and watched 3 guys kill buffalo just outside the park. It's a helluva a scene and a I can see why the antis would get a bad taste in their mouth. Plus the use of resources was insane. That hunt was expensive to the tax payer, there were FS cops, Wardens, Indian Bureau and Park people there for 4 hours while they gutted and drug them the 75 yards from the road they shot them on. It's really not a good situation.

13-Mar-17
I agree with you elkman. What ever happened to the guardian of mother earth? They all claimed to be one with the planet. That is history. They don't give a rats behind about conservation.

13-Mar-17
I once had a member of a SW tribe tell me that most of those guys (fellow tribesmen) don't know what they believe in...

15-Mar-17
I have nothing good to say....travel to one of these places and you too will see what I'm talking about.

Sorry, but I did absolutely nothing to the people on the res, nor did anyone in my ancestry. Time to stop whining, stay in school and get a job..rather than drinking themselves to death (among other things)

Those animals do not belong to anyone, res or otherwise, but those people are stealing from the tax payers by destroying these animals needlessly.

15-Mar-17

15-Mar-17

akbow's Link
We got you beat up here in AK. Check out the attached link or search Point Hope Caribou Slaughter. Not an isolated incident, but one of the more publicized. https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/article/eight-charged-point-hope-caribou-slaughter/2009/03/17/

15-Mar-17
Mt. Man, you are right. These clowns give you a bad rap, and it is happening all over the place around here. Absolutely no respect for the animals, themselves, or anyone else.

And it IS NOT a complex issue.

15-Mar-17
They are simply examples of the modern day entitled democrats.

15-Mar-17
Out in the middle of Timbuktu and replete with ATV's and Pepsi:)

"The discovery and a subsequent lack of cooperation from community elders launched an eight-month investigation, replete with phone taps, undercover operations and examination of Pepsi cans left in the area. "

15-Mar-17
These guys our not even residents of Montana they Have no business killing animals in our state

• Sitka Gear