Bowriter 09-Mar-17
Treeline 09-Mar-17
wilhille 09-Mar-17
Mark Watkins 09-Mar-17
Bowriter 10-Mar-17
08-Mar-17

Bowriter's embedded Photo
Bowriter's embedded Photo
CU is Cumberland University,a great, four-year college in Lebanon, TN They are starting a collegiate archery team. If you know a high school archer that may be interested, this could help pay for a quality education.

CU Archery Coach, Looking for Recruits.

For Mike Hudson, the new archery coach at CU, the first month has been a process of settling in. Now he has to go to work. Among the many duties, paramount is recruiting archers. “Right now,” he said, “it is recruiting, recruiting and recruiting. This month, I will visit two major tournaments, watching and visiting with young archers.” The tournaments are The Indoor Nationals in Cincinnati March 17-19 and the state tournament in Miller Coliseum in M’borro March 30-31. Hudson also wanted to stress, “Anyone can compete in archery. We want not only kids who are already accomplished archers but one who maybe just getting started or are even, just interested in learning. There has been tremendous interest here, on campus but I want anyone who is interested to feel free to call me.” His contact number is 615/372-4179. In addition to recruiting, Hudson is also working on lining up places for an outdoor field archery range and a 3-D course. “I have had a great visit with Larry Tomlinson at the fairgrounds and we have tentatively picked out a place for those two ranges. The indoor range, we can have in the gym, here at the Dallas Floyd.” Hudson plans on eventually fielding both field and 3-D teams. “Ideally we would have 10, accomplished archers.” He said. “They would be divided into a field and indoor team and a 3-D team, split into traditional and compound equipment.” Hudson has been in the archery business a long time. He started as a boy in South Dakota. “When I moved to TN, I realized that if I could get some good coaching, it would save me a lot of time over learning by trial and error.” To that end, he sought some of the top coaches around and that eventually led him into coaching. He plans to host a minimum of two tournaments a year, here, one field archery and one 3-D. “Every NAIA school has a team and makes eight that I am sure would be here. The cooperation has been tremendous. In fact, I am going to University of the Cumberlands in KY, to observe their upcoming tournament and get ideas.” “The cooperation has been great between the athletic department, Ron Pavin and Mitch Walters and of course, CU president, Dr. Paul Stumb, who gave us the green light. I’m looking forward to building a competitive program here at CU. ###

08-Mar-17
Nobody knows a shooter needing money for college?

08-Mar-17
thanks for the info, will look into it!

08-Mar-17
That is awesome news. Hopefully it starts to spread to other schools.

08-Mar-17
I am passing this on to a friend. I assume female shooters are wanted. Thank you.

08-Mar-17
This would be a great opportunity. Hopefully it spreads to other locations. I have a few young shooters:)

09-Mar-17
Yes, male or female-At present, there are eight colleges in this region with teams.

09-Mar-17
Got a boy graduating from high school this year. He has been shooting bows since he was about 3, but not competitively. Unfortunately, he does not have much interest in going to college, despite my efforts. Thinks he wants to be a fishing guide... An archery program in college might provide him with some ambition to do something. Tennessee may be a bit of a stretch from Colorado.

09-Mar-17
Here in 3 years my nephew is highly interested in Archery opportunities in college. Thanks for the heads up!

09-Mar-17
A great opportunity!

Will pass it on!

Mark

10-Mar-17
Hey Treeline- They are starting a fishing team next year and if I can get them talked into it, a rodeo team within three years. Might not hurt to research Cumberland University in TN. See just what a class school, they are.

• Sitka Gear