moch 14-Mar-17
smarba 14-Mar-17
Frank Sanders 15-Mar-17
master guide 16-Mar-17
LINK 16-Mar-17
moch 16-Mar-17
elkmo 17-Mar-17
08-Mar-17
Looking to put in for 16E this year but have no knowledge of that unit. Hunted 15 last year and was wondering if 16e has access via truck or is this area utv-quad friendly only? Any pointers for this unit would be greatly appreciated..

08-Mar-17
First page of the New Mexico forum has three threads on 16e that's all I know.

08-Mar-17
It has been years since I hunted it, but it was mostly just boot friendly.

09-Mar-17
I haven't hunted it. but it has very limited access via truck/atv. and the roads are terrible from what I understand. I would make sure I had my access worked out before applying. I understand there are only like maybe a couple roads that will get you in and then its boots on the ground

13-Mar-17
Hunted it in 1999. My first and only elk hunt. KILLED a 300 inch 6x7 on my second day. Was hunting with my cousin who was a very experienced elk hunter. Watched him call in and pass a bunch of descent bulls. He was after a monster or nothing. Ate his tag... fun trip. We hunted them in the short grass. Unbelievable experience.

13-Mar-17

Big Fin's embedded Photo
Big Fin's embedded Photo

Big Fin's Link
This episode will give you a feel for what the unit is like. I've archery hunted it three times and helped another person who had the rifle tag. The places that are ATV-friendly will have the majority of the hunters, due to a large part of the unit being private or with access complicated by private. Daily hunts of 8-12 miles per day are the norm for this unit. Not an easy hunt.

13-Mar-17
Looks real familiar randy..... I killed my bull fighting another right in that open stuff. He was engaged with another bull at arrow impact. My cousin said you might as well quit elk hunting now you will never top this.

13-Mar-17
Killed my 1st bull off the flanks of Pelona in the open grasslands. Missed a couple in the thick oak brush. Have good hiking boots and a plan to get the meat out. Beaverhead outfitters used to operate in there.

14-Mar-17
Randy, So when u say its 8-12 miles a day, why cant you just camp back in there on BLM and not hike in and out? Ive considered this hunt several times, but honestly the draw odds are only slightly better for E

14-Mar-17
Thomas - Biggest reason is no water source from which to filter, so setting a camp would require bringing your own water for enough days, which I am not strong enough to carry. Also the elk here are ridiculously transient, so no matter where you set camp you will be hoofing it a lot to get to where the elk are that day. And, the configuration of private lands causes you to make 2-3 mile loops just to navigate around private parcels to reach elk that are only a mile away. Some places have a lot of State Trust Lands, but New Mexico law prohibits camping on State Trust Lands so you have to come in/out every morning/night.

14-Mar-17
And there is no BLM in the entire eastern half of the unit. Only State with no camping.

14-Mar-17
The elk definitely move around a lot in this unit.

14-Mar-17
Yes and the outfitters have gotten smart and start their hunters off on the public land and work towards the private land in an attempt to push elk where we can not get them. had this happen a couple of years in a row. by the third day I was seeing bunches of elk on the north slopes running out to the plains. all private land. really sucked. it is a tuff hunt and is totally hit and miss. Good Luck

14-Mar-17
Say it ain't so, outfitters trying to steer elk onto private land?! Why would they want to do that, since the elk compete with cattle for grazing, so landowners complain about damage and losses and are allocated more landowner tags that can be sold...oh wait, methinks there might be an ulterior motive there somewhere...

15-Mar-17
Killed a 340 bull in there, incredibly tough to access a lot of good areas. I got lucky and a rancher let me through his place and I hiked in from there. Whoever mentioned water is SPOT ON, it was tough to find. Took a couple days to get my bull out. Rancher has since passed and no more access. Cool unit for sure

16-Mar-17
Yes water can be a problem. one morning I glassed down a open ridge and saw three hunters scattered out walking , but something did not look right. I got back on my mule and rode down about one mile to them. when I rode up to them,one guy said I will give you 1000.00 dollars for a bottle of water. They became lost in the rain and fog for 2days and 1 nite. all were walking bare foot packing there rubber boots,feet covered with blisters. these guys were in serious trouble. I sat them down with my water and pack, then rode out to our base camp and got help. they were about14 or 15 miles from there truck and moving away from it. bad things can happen in strange country with no water.in storms fog. trucks break down,roads wash out. trucks get stuck.dead batteries don't mean to rantbut this is just some of the things I have found over the years. In New Mexico when something goes wrong often no one comes along.!

16-Mar-17
Rubber boots hunting elk. Sounds like TBM's relatives.

16-Mar-17
Gees, and that unit is all Rocks up top!

17-Mar-17
Luera Peak area is all state land, so no camping. The road is a cobbled mess, a truck will take a few hours, atv about a hour due to the low speed to get back in there. You get to do it twice a day if you want to hunt that area. Bring lots of gas if you decide to go that route. Hunted the unit in 2009, but not up Luera.

• Sitka Gear