Mad Trapper 13-Mar-17
kota-man 13-Mar-17
rdohn 13-Mar-17
loprofile 13-Mar-17
t-roy 13-Mar-17
Buffalo1 13-Mar-17
TD 13-Mar-17
08-Mar-17
As I prepare for our upcoming hunts, which will require air travel, I have learned that most airlines allow two checked bags. And obviously there are size and weight restrictions which determines if they fly for free or if there is an additional charge.

Well, I thought I was smart and savvy several months ago when I purchased two SKB double bow cases and assumed at the time that they'd be no problem to fly with. Wrong, according to the regulations, anything over a total measurement of 62" is considered oversize and is an additional $200 to carry. Those SKB cases measure 71" total, which is length + width + height.

Just wondering, does everyone just pay that extra cost or is there an alternative method I'm overlooking? Saving the extra money sure would be nice and it could be spent on other costs related to the trip.

Today someone at work mentioned that the luggage could be classified as 'sporting equipment' and that reduces the cost considerably. I will call Delta tomorrow and ask.

Thanks

08-Mar-17
Delta has never charged me extra for my bow case under the "sporting goods" provision I believe. My bow case has always just been treated as an extra piece of luggage.

08-Mar-17
Some guys use golf cases, mine looks like a guitar case. Some airlines had no problem since I mentioned I had a bow in it, others measured out the length, width and depth. Best of luck.

08-Mar-17
Bow / arrows and any other archery equipment is considered "Sporting Equipment"

The above equipment should not be tagged as "Firearms". To be tagged as "Firearms" is incorrect and you will be spending unnecessary time in the "popo office" in Africa because you luggage was improperly tagged at origin.

08-Mar-17
I have a badlands Terra glide. I lend it to buddies and used it a few times on Southwest airlines. NEVER got a second look. JUST keep it under 50 pounds. The Terra glide with a second duffle and my pack for a carry on were perfect for my hunts.

08-Mar-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
All of my gear and my bow on top of the soft golf case
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
All of my gear and my bow on top of the soft golf case
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Foam removed and my clothes packed under and around my bow
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Foam removed and my clothes packed under and around my bow
I just flew American airlines in January for a hunt.

They could have cared less that there was a bow in my luggage or that it was over 62" and charged me the $25 regular baggage fee.

I've been running my regular bowcase inside of a soft golf cover bag for a while now.

After taking out everything I didn't think I needed I was at 41 pounds. And after hunting for a few days realized I had packed way too much crap even after minimizing everything.

08-Mar-17
Bowfile by Lakewoods works well. They are big enough for your bow, arrows and a lot of clothing while still being under 62"

08-Mar-17
I checked the 'sporting equipment' section on the Delta website. Archery is considered sporting goods equipment but they go on to say if it's oversize, extra charges apply. Maybe I'll get lucky at the counter like you guys have and they'll run it on through?

For our clothing, gear, and arrow tubes I bought us each a pretty nice backpack/roller bag, Made by Granite Gear, 32" long, and a lower compartment for the arrow tubes, boots, etc. I haven't tried putting the bows into that compartment yet, will give Delta a call tomorrow.

Thanks again for helping a rookie out

08-Mar-17
The TerraGlide also, never a problem with either SouthWest or Alaska, which I fly on the most now...

08-Mar-17
I was getting ready to post something about my experiences a few months ago and what i had found in a bit of limited research.

I flew American last Sept and for the first time in my life was charged oversized for my bowcase. It was not charged when I left on the trip, in fact the personnel said something to the effect it was exempt under sporting goods......two weeks later It was charged leaving phoenix, $150 on top of the second bag charge. At the time their website said archery equipment had a special waiver but had to be 50 lbs or under, but when they printed up the page at the airport there was fine print that said the bag still had to meet the 62" combined measurement.

That is no waiver, those were the exact same rules as any checked bag. Where was the exemption also stated on the page I asked? At the time they DID waive golf clubs, my bowcase was smaller than most of the golf clubs we had stacked around us. They were pretty bad about it, the managers were pricks. Told me to quit bowhunting or find a smaller bow. I was spitting nails.

I wrote them with a complaint and the first time wasn't answered. Had to finally call and got the name of another party to at least make a clear statement on their policy. I was referred to the NEW web page..... NO exemption for archery gear and if over 62" it was now $200 for oversize..... on top of normal baggage charges. EACH WAY. Golf bags still exempt from oversize.... BUT a big notice they will search the bag and if not golf equipment inside it will be charged as oversize if over 62". Hell will be iced over before I ever fly American again.

Went over to United and their policy exempts archery gear from oversize, same as golf clubs. "United accepts one item of archery equipment per customer as checked baggage. All items must be properly encased in a suitable container. An item of archery equipment consists of:

One bow case containing bows One quiver with arrows Maintenance kit of sufficient strength to protect items from accidental damage.

First or second checked bag service charges may apply. Archery equipment carried in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge.

United is not liable for damage to archery equipment that is not contained in a hard-sided case."

Pretty much the same statement WRT Golf clubs. Interestingly enough, they ALSO made an effort to state that if you have anything else but golf clubs in the golf case..... "Golfing equipment containers measuring over 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + H + W) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate golf equipment will not be subject to an oversize checked baggage service charge." They don't care, all the same to them, just ship it Shirley..... Whatever your thoughts of United (Pat....) they had a fair policy WRT archery gear and other sporting goods.

I have checked Alaskan and was a bit surprised..... they state archery cases over 62" will be charged oversize, but their oversize fee is $75, same as their 3rd bag charge. Sigh.... golf clubs are exempt. They didn't say anything about inspecting the golf cases though....

Those are the only ones I have checked so far, Southwest doesn't fly here. I'm looking at other options, but if I recall even the badlands was technically oversize. I'm looking into options, but to get under 62" is near impossible. Found a couple golf club cases that were actually pretty cool. We will see.

But I'm all for spreading the word about American's attitude towards bowhunters. Never been on social media much..... maybe now I have a cause.....

08-Mar-17
I just looked at the Bowfile as mentioned above and believe it or not it came it at 64", which I would only hope & assume would be close enough to be overlooked. Hate to invest another $200 apiece for her and I.....

08-Mar-17
Most airports have curbside check in for bags. You almost always get the benefit of the doubt, even if they do not see the $5 you are going to tip.

08-Mar-17
glunker, great tip....I'd even drop a $20 in their hand....

08-Mar-17
Anyone know if a Nitrum 34 will fit in a Terraglide?

09-Mar-17
Several tips when flying with a bow.

1. If relying on a GPS to fly to an airport you have never been to before be sure to take a map so you end up at the correct airport.

2. Have as little as connecting flights as possible. It sucks how you can never be in Chicago but have 1 layover in Seattle and when you land in Alaska your bow case and gear end up in Chicago.

3. If they do lose your gear they have so many days to get it to you so when that time expires tell them you have thousands of dollars in equipment and gear and you will be overnighting it from cabelas at 1 minute after their allotted time to get you your lost luggage to you. Amazingly your gear will show up on the very next flight in.

09-Mar-17
Here's another idea. Have the written policy with you at the counter, (assuming that it works to your advantage). Many of these agents do not even know their own policies. If a competitor has a more advantageous policy, have a print out of their policy, you may be able to say: "I know that United Airlines allows it, look at this, can you please match it?" It's worth a try. I find that being nice but insistent works for me most often. If things aren't going my way, I get increasingly loud and argumentative and make sure that people around me know what's going on. Calling it "archery equipment which falls under your Sporting Goods catagory" vs "bow hunting equipment" is worth a try.

09-Mar-17
I have a very large gun case on rollers that I gut the foam. I put my largest gear in it (trekking poles, fishing rods, bow/arrows/rifle, etc. Then I pack it full of cloths. I just make sure it's around the weight for a max bag. It's nice having rollers in the airports! I put my other baggage on top of the gun case and roll them around the airport. On my self guided Alaska trips I often have around 200+ lbs heading to Alaska and over 300 lbs returning home (meat, salmon, halibut, capes, horns, etc).

09-Mar-17
I've flown a lot with my Pole mountain case. If you measure it, it is a few inches over. I have never had anyone measure it. Most seem to be most concerned that it's not over weight.

I suppose you could always run into an agent that wants to make an issue about it. I will admit that I always fly southwest or United when I can.

09-Mar-17
Alaska bound

photo 1_zpsdes6uzcz.jpg

09-Mar-17

woodguy65's embedded Photo
Badlands Terra glide, 8 trips to Canada never a problem. It comes in solid color like black green etc.

09-Mar-17
If you fly your gear a different country be sure to thoroughly understand their entry restrictions. Both of my bow quivers were confiscated at the Brisbane airport and that put me in a real pickle.

A friend flying to Mexico to hunt Coues this January had to leave one bow and a bunch of gear behind in Phoenix due to new restrictions down there. He missed his flight, had to scramble around and find a bow case they would allow on the plane. Finally got to his hunt a couple days late.

09-Mar-17
Lou,

What was their reason for taking you quivers?

09-Mar-17

Bushwacker's embedded Photo
cnelk, your clothing bag alone looks overweight and oversized. Did they say anything or charge extra?

Here's the Granite Gear bag we bought for our trips.

09-Mar-17
I've looked at that GG duffel, but it's only 32" outside, cam to cam my bow is 37". Just fits in the badlands 38" duffel at a bit of a diagonal.

It is true, much depends on who you get at the counter. If they decide to be difficult, even the badlands duffel is oversize, if I remember it came out to 67". Really like the Sitka duffle too, but it's even a bit larger at 72"

American in Phoenix had a lady with a cloth tape measure going down the line of folks waiting and was measuring ALL the bigger bags and pulling those people out of line with oversize and going to another line on the side. I though at first it was just special handling issues..... then I figured out it was so the rest of the passengers would not hear the screams of the damned........

09-Mar-17

Buffalo1's Link
Got this article in an email from SCI today. Even though Boddington is writing about traveling with "firearms", some of the info could be applicable to traveling with "sporting equipment" (bows & arrows) in the eyes of TSA agents who can make life hard on a traveller. I always carry 4-5 extra TSA locks because invariably 1 or 2 will get knocked off or broken on departure flight and I will be short of locks for return flight home.

11-Mar-17
Kevin, Customs determined that the impregnated leather in the hoods of Selway quivers wasn't treated "enough". I ended up buying an identical Selway quiver from a friend of the guy I was hunting with, after stopping by his house for beers enroute to our hunting spot. Go figure.

11-Mar-17
That is. CRazy.

11-Mar-17
"cnelk, your clothing bag alone looks overweight and oversized."

Negative on both. Scale and tape measure at home pre-determines that

11-Mar-17
I fly with a terra glide which is camo. I think if I bought another it would be in black, less conspicuous. also the biggest bow would be a 32 inch bow like the elite e32. nothing bigger which kinda narrows it

11-Mar-17
X2 on the black vs camo Badlands bag. Mine is camo as well, however, my Switchback XT is 36" L by 14" W and it fits in my Terraglide barely.

11-Mar-17
Mathews z7 in my terraglide. Snug but fits

11-Mar-17
Have two terraglides. Been to Africa, Canada several times, Mexico, Bahamas. And dozens of US hunts. Only problem was in Vancouver they grilled me because it was camo, searched for guns. Last year the curbside guy in Phoenix tried to charge me oversized so I insisted on a manager (American). She laughed and said no problem. They also have a lifetime, unconditional and transferable warranty. Last year my camo bag got trapped in the luggage system at the airport and had significant damage. Was in SLC for a trip and Badlands simply replaced it, no questions asked. It is great for non hunting trips too and I agree with Brantman, mine are now all black. If u cannot find one to put your bow in call Badlands for their input. My Mathews Drenalin fits with little to spare. Usually can also stand on its end straight up. Great piece of gear!

11-Mar-17

I found this one on OpticsPlanet but I'm unable to find much information about it, especially in regards to exterior dimensions.

11-Mar-17

Oh, that is an SKB 4117 hybrid bow case. They may have discontinued production, it was hard to find info.

We will probably take our SKB double bow cases and roll the dice at the curb with Skycap.

12-Mar-17
With the terraglide I sometimes use it as my only bag

12-Mar-17
If they want to get sticky..... the terraglide is oversize. 38+18+11= 67". Only 5" over... but my bowcase was only 3" bigger 46+16+8= 70".... 8" over. Guess mine just screams "Over here! A hunter we could hit up for oversize......"

SKB makes some cases that look like just make the 62". Nice thing is you could throw in a firearm as well and be good flying with it.

12-Mar-17

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Used this one on two trips. No extra charges if weighs 50# or less.

12-Mar-17
"Anyone know if a Nitrum 34 will fit in a Terraglide?"

I know my Impulse 34 won't fit in the one I had. Cnelk got mine out of that quandary and used it on his Alaska trip this past fall. I'm back to square one.

12-Mar-17
Bushwacker when you roll dice with your old stuff you probably get snake eyes. Most of the posters recommended a terraglide or something similar. The amount you will pay for your stand alone cases in extra baggage fees would probably pay for the terraglide. Just a thought.

12-Mar-17
I dont use my SKB double anymore now that i have the Sitka Nomad. It kicks butt at 10.5# with the baggage restrictions

12-Mar-17
Sold my SKB - now I just put my bow(s) in a checked duffel and they always arrive in perfect shape.

13-Mar-17
I always bring a back-up bow. For me, it's two Terraglides, and they are black.

TD, that's a pretty F'ed up story. If you want to start a thread to get bowsighters to post negative reviews on American's Facebook page, I'll support it. If we can get several dozen one star reviews, stating that we will not use their airline for any business or pleasure travel, and that we will be spreading the word, it should make an impression.

Good Luck

13-Mar-17
Double post

13-Mar-17
How long a bow will those Terraglides accomodate?

13-Mar-17
Depends on cams. 30 " easy 32" maybe.

13-Mar-17
Tom...I agree with petedrummond...32" a to a max unless you want your cams crushed. I know guys have "angled" 34" a to a bows and got them in, but I'm not comfortable with my cams pushing on the zippers. Asking for trouble IMO. If you want a luggage type case that will accommodate 34" bows, go with the Sitka Nomad.

**I'm talking axel to axel...Definitely makes a difference what cams you have, but I've found most 34" Axel to Axel bows just don't work in a Terra Glide.

13-Mar-17
Looks like the Sitka Nomad is a discontinued product, but even still, it measures out at 74" with the Terraglide at 67"

If those are going through on a regular basis, then mine have just a good of a chance. Either way, everyone seems to be rolling the dice?

13-Mar-17

Terraglide pic with 37.5" Bowtech Experience at an angle. I put a cam wrap on as well. 8-9 trips flying to Canada, 2 trips to Alaska, 4 trips to Texas, 2 to Colorado. Prior to the bowtech I had a Mathews. Never a problem with bow once I reached destination, never been waved or checked at airport.

13-Mar-17
traveled with the skb double bow case several times. Kept it under 50lbs with bow and bunch of clothes. Never got charged extra. Bow always untouched.

13-Mar-17
"traveled with the skb double bow case several times. Kept it under 50lbs with bow and bunch of clothes. Never got charged extra. Bow always untouched. "

thanks Shot, did you check it inside or with skycap?

13-Mar-17
Have you been hit with oversize charges with the Sitka bag?

13-Mar-17
Tom...I've never been hit with oversize with SKB, Sitka or the Bad Lands. And I've taken a few trips. ;) I've heard rumors of oversize charges with all of them, but that has not been my experience...YET>

Here's a question: To follow up on Tom's question...How many guys here have been hit with oversize charges with ANY of these three?

13-Mar-17
I have never been hit with oversize charges on the SKB I series case. Its been to Canada many times and to Africa. But it always comes out at the oversize baggage claim in lieu of the luggage claim.

13-Mar-17
I use the Lakewood 41" case but just noticed that it measures 64" with the airline formula. You can pack a lot of clothes in it to cushion your bow

13-Mar-17
I've never been charged oversized fees on my Terraglide or my Pole Mountain bow case on 5-6 trips.

13-Mar-17
In 38 yrs. I have been caught one time with a possible penalty fee. I was overweight with a duffle bag and got busted in Capetown with South African Airlines. I paid the counter attendant $20 (under the counter) and the bag traveled on to my next destination.

I have found that airlines are really more concerned with overweight than oversize. I have traveled with numerous bow cases, duffle bags and back packs. I only deal with counter attendants and would not dare deal with a skycap especially on an international flight. I know my trip destination labels and make sure my luggage is properly labeled with the correct tag before it is put on the outgoing conveyor belt for loading.

13-Mar-17
I've been flying with my kalispel case for maybe 15 years, many many thousands of miles. Never charged oversize in all those years, and even in the last, um, several years when they lowered the 70lb limit to 50 lb (weenies) have never been over. But they got me this time..... and not 100% sure they didn't change the game on me in mid trip.

The times are changing..... with the newer pay per checked bag game, comparing fares and online booking..... they are going to push to see what they can get. But that doesn't mean I/we have to sit down, shut up and take it. Competition is what's keeping the price of flying down, sometimes WAY down. We used to have several companies in the HI market, when down to the last two and Hawaiian basically bought out Aloha.... prices doubled and more in just months. It's $200-300 for a round trip interisland now on the jets, I've found round trips to the mainland 2500 miles away in the $350-400 range.

If they are made aware people are now shopping with luggage policy and charges in mind as well.... competition is a good thing.

Thanks Dooner! If I get this facebook thing figured out...... that's likely a good avenue. =D

If I remember something similar happened several years ago, could have been American too. They started charging big fees for bows (and firearms too I think) There was a big deal on bowsite,Pat was pushing it and lots of folks wrote and called the airline and they backed down. A good deal of it was the other airlines didn't follow suit. If they can now start getting away with it with little protest..... you can count on the other airlines to follow.....

• Sitka Gear