cnelk 12-Mar-17
dgildy 12-Mar-17
wyobullshooter 12-Mar-17
dgildy 12-Mar-17
cnelk 12-Mar-17
r-man 12-Mar-17
AZBUGLER 12-Mar-17
11-Mar-17
Last year while hunting in Oregon I was introduced to the FoxPro inferno, I have to tell ya I was totally impressed with the elk sounds the person had loaded on it and how it sounded. I just got my FoxPro and will use it when hunting solo and from my tree stand. This will just be another tool to employ when needed, last year I made a couple cow calls from my tree stand and a large bull approached from behind me and stopped about 50 yds no shot, the FoxPro would of helped to bring him past my stand. What are your thoughts and have you used one for elk hunting, only legal in a couple states.

11-Mar-17
They're cool for predators. Personally wouldn't use it on elk even if it was legal. For me half the fun of a solo elk set is calling and moving. Plus I enjoy making turkey and elk sounds way more than screaming rabbit sounds with mouth calls haha.

11-Mar-17
Same as Dyjack...even if legal, I wouldn't use one. Making elk think I'm one of them gives me darn near as big of thrill as killing them. No way I'd let a machine do it for me.

12-Mar-17
As a tree stand hunter you have a different situation than these ground pounders. A FoxPro 30-50 yards away in some good cover might be good in some situations. I would never answer a bull that bugled off in the timber somewhere. I have found they often do that before they walk into a water hole. If you call back, they leave. With the fox pro, I would try a short bugle 2-3 times then leave it alone and watch to see if something came around to investigate. I would certainly not press the button frequently or whatever you do to make it sound off.

12-Mar-17
Actually Washington, Oregon, Nevada and AZ allow electronic calls for elk. There are also 15 other states that allow their use for deer.

I doubt if I would use an electronic call, as I like mouth calls for all species as it seems it allows me a closer tie to the animals I hunt when using a mouth call. I can put more feelings into a mouth call.

12-Mar-17
swede, I don't know which "ground pounders" you're referring to, but I've hunted exclusively out of a treestand in the evenings for over 20 yrs, and called in many elk to my stand over those years. My previous post was not exclusive to "ground pounding ".

12-Mar-17
"I've hunted exclusively out of a treestand in the evenings... and called in many elk to my stand. "

Me too

12-Mar-17
Wyobullshooter and Cnelk, As a novice, I'm curious why you exclusively hunt out of treestands in the evenings? Is it mostly because of your familiarity with your area or are there other reasons?

Thanks, Dave

12-Mar-17
dgildy, three words...constantly swirling winds. I had more "sure things" screwed up in the evenings than I could stand. I had to either quit hunting evenings, or find a better way. I chose the latter.

12-Mar-17
Thanks, that makes sense!

12-Mar-17
I started hunting tree stands in the evenings because after putting miles and miles on chasing elk each morning, it was a nice way to rest up, listen, make some soft mews, see some elk and make a plan for the next day.

But I have been known to sit in a tree stand in mornings too :)

All depends...

12-Mar-17
its on my wish list , for predators . lost my last one to a brain fart

12-Mar-17
Not a fan of electronic calling for elk at all! That being said, if legal, it's a personal choice.

• Sitka Gear