Mathews Inc.
DIY OTC Goog scout only 1st time succes?
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
LaughingWater 12-Mar-17
ToeKNEE 12-Mar-17
Paul@thefort 12-Mar-17
Rocky D 12-Mar-17
elk yinzer 12-Mar-17
WV Mountaineer 12-Mar-17
pav 12-Mar-17
elkmtngear 12-Mar-17
oldgoat 12-Mar-17
Jaquomo 12-Mar-17
Old School 12-Mar-17
ElkNut1 12-Mar-17
Geno 12-Mar-17
cnelk 12-Mar-17
Scar Finga 12-Mar-17
Rocky D 12-Mar-17
LaughingWater 12-Mar-17
Jaquomo 12-Mar-17
Bake 12-Mar-17
Franzen 13-Mar-17
The last savage 13-Mar-17
LesWelch 13-Mar-17
stealthycat 13-Mar-17
txhunter58 13-Mar-17
Rocky D 13-Mar-17
Jaquomo 13-Mar-17
Rocky D 13-Mar-17
Bull-Tipper 24-May-17
808bowhunter 25-May-17
LesWelch 25-May-17
hardcore247 25-May-17
Scar Finga 25-May-17
RTJ1980 25-May-17
stealthycat 25-May-17
12-Mar-17
Lets hear from the guys who were successful on their first trip to the elk woods, when they were doing all of their scouting from a few hundred miles away.

I have been researching units and looking at how low the success rates are, but I know that a lot of that is because of the guys who buy tags but then never spend the time in the woods, or never leave camp etc. I figure the guys that are lurking around here have the passion and the drive to be "above average" even if they are new to a unit.

If this describes you, what tips do you have? How did you narrow down your unit search? How did you narrow down your trail head search? What do you think contributed to your success when the odds are against you?

For me, I have one trip under my belt where I did not tag out, but I learned a ton. However, I am considering a different unit for my 2nd trip, so I feel like in many ways I am starting from scratch. I am searching for some inspiration - and I am sure there are many others that are in the same boat - so please share your stories! The more details the better!

12-Mar-17
I'd be curious to hear first trip success stories

12-Mar-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I missed two elk on my first trip from Ohio in 1988 but scored on my second trip out to Colorado in 1989. Pictured. This was before the use of computers and hunting sites like bowsite. com. or the use of Google Maps, etc. I did all of my scouting via, phone calls to biologists and Nat Forest staff and used topo maps. and then did a lot of reading about elk and what they needed to survive and where ( summer range) they would be concentrated.. Not sure what state you will be hunting in but in 1989 there were only 17,000 resident and nonresident bow hunters in Colorado. Today, 42,000 so much more pressure on the resource and competition for space. Plus Colorado's elk herd has been reduced from 320,000 elk in the 1990 to 264,000 currently. I found out from the biologist where the highest populations of elk were in the state and then concentrated my efforts there. Once focused on a good area or two, I contracted the DOW staff and narrowed down a few drainage. Being a solo hunter/ hiker, I chose a Wilderness area, (no trucks, ATV, carts) and hiked in 5 miles. I had made arrangements prior with a packer that if I killed an elk, I could get it out ok. Today there is tons of information and resources to get info one needs.

My big advise is-- do not try to find the perfect "honey hole" by continuing to jump around from unit to unit and region to region across the state. If you find elk and the correct habitat that fit you hunting skills and abilities, just stick with it and learn that area like the back of your hand. I believe you will be more successful in the long run. Also from being out of state, you need to have at least 9 days of hunting to give yourself a fair change of success and that is if you hunt until you drop.

my best, Paul

12-Mar-17
I was successful on my first three elk hunts. Do not focus on the negatives. Focus only on success and learn as much as you can about your area, the animal, and you.

You are the critical element in your success. My first hunt was during a heat wave and the elk totally shut down. Being a turkey hunter proved key when I went in and blind called subplty over a 4 hour period. I do not go camping on a hunt. Camp is merely a place eat and sleep so that I can continue the hunt. Hunt daylight to dark and cat nap on the mountain during periods of inactivity. I have been awakens by a bull bugling at 2:00 in the afternoon and even though I did not shoot the bull because of it's size it could have just as easily been a shooter. My last on everyone? was saying the bulls were not coming to calls which was a surprise since I had called in 8 bulls. I say this as way to inform to not listen to the negatives. Negative emotions, statistics, and people do not promote success. Recently there was a thread posted on the low success of elk hunters. I found it hard to believe that it had a huge following with over a hundred comments. No animal is impossible to kill and frankly in the right situation can be much easier than most would lead you to believe.

Now I am not advocating that it is extremely difficult going OTC in Colorado or Idaho but sometimes we create a monster in our own minds that is hard to overcome. Staying positive is absolutely? critical to your success and even more so when the odds are not your favor. Get in great shape, fatigue makes cowards of all and at a minimum fosters seeds of doubt. When hunting an area of low success focus on enjoying the hunt instead of the kill is even more important.

Have a game plan and execute the plan and be willing to adapt as conditions demand. I am not an expert elk hunter but what I have stated applies all animals and all hunts. Consistent success is a mindset that empowers instead of undermining your outcome.

I would not go on a hunt if I did not think that I would make the shot. Put in the time and practice be mentally ready to close the deal. I have two friends that missed their last shots at elk and made the long drive home knowing that the guy in the mirror had been the difference in their quest.

Sorry if I rambled to much but I want to impart on you to focus on the actions that make for success. I have a friend who was part of the selection process in getting special people? in the military that do special things and he said the common denominator in all the successfull participants was the assessment was just a step in the process and that they would determine their fate.

12-Mar-17
I had success finding a lot of elk first hunt but fell apart at the shot, twice. Figured that part of it out the second time out. It can be a real mindscrew thinking you are going to find some epic magical honey hole on google earth. Ain't happening. Just toss that idea out the window.

No matter how much work you do, you are still just making an educated guess. Just pick an area that appeals to you based on whatever characteristics are important. Then get to know that area really, really well using the maps. Commit its features to memory. Go there with a plan A, B, C, and D. Use your woodsmanship in conjunction with that plan to find elk. They are loud, stinky, and leave a lot of sign. If the sign isn't fresh and the stank ain't there, move on. Once you find them, slow down and hunt them.

12-Mar-17
11 years ago, I called the CDOW, USFS, talked with biologists and rangers, picked a unit, got topo maps, drove out the end of the second week in September with 5 guys that were just as determined to find the elk as I was, and shot a 5 by 4 the third evening of the hunt. I did it again the following time out too.

There are more resources available today then there was then. So, I looked for Units with large parcels of NF. Hunting pressure is going to be an issue. So, we looked for areas that for one reason or the other, looked like they offered ek sanctuary from that pressure. We used Topo maps for that. We ended up picking a unit that is heavily hunted and, we've batted 100% success on shot opportunities every trip. Not all of us killed one every trip. I think I'm the only one in our bunch that can claim that. But, we all had our chances every trip. You can have the same kind of luck

Elk hunting is tough. From start to finish. You gotta have a plan. The start of that hunt is finding the area you intend to go. We have found, in our very limited experience, the nostalgia of elk hunting usually tends to push hunters higher and, elk lower into steep, rough drainage's. You don't get the luxury of knowing the hidey holes that hold elk in nostalgic places when hunting pressure is involved. So, find the places that uses the pressure to your advantage and got get 'em bro. Elk hang out at 6000-7000 feet just as much as they do at 12000 when there are hunters in the woods. This is just my experience and, it is no means the gospel.

Good luck and God Bless

12-Mar-17

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Man, last thing I want to do is jinx myself....but here goes! Hailing from Indiana.....

I've been on six elk hunts to date....in three different states....all DIY bowhunts. Went 3-3 on raghorn bulls in the same low demand LE Colorado unit. The photo is my 1st bull arrowed at 17 yards on day seven of the hunt. Since then, I've been more particular about the size of bull I shoot and have filled my tag on 2-3 trips. That said, I should be 3-3 on mature bulls. Let's just say I had one bad arrow out of the six.

My advice for a newbie living too far from the mountains to scout in person....

- Get yourself in decent shape. You don't have to be a marathon runner, but you do need to get in decent shape. You are not going to be able to train for altitude and you will get winded, but you can recover rather quickly if you train for it.

- Picking an area is tough, but there is alot of information on the web these days. I went with a low demand unit in Colorado that I could draw every other year. Limited tag numbers and a decent harvest percentage on bulls is what caught my attention.

- Plan at least two weeks! You will be going into an area that you have never set foot to try and put an arrow in animal you've never hunted. A week is just not enough IMO. Killed my 1st bull on day seven as mentioned. If I had only planned a week of hunting, it is likely I would have been pulling camp that evening instead of elk hunting.

- Don't be afraid to move camp. You must hunt where the elk are...not where they have been. Big difference between fresh elk sign and two week old elk sign.

- Play the wind...and the thermals! Most flatlanders don't have to deal with thermals very much....but no so in the mountains.

- Learn to cow call and bugle....but don't rely on calls alone to kill elk. My biggest bull never knew I was anywhere around. I never made a peep.

- Understand you can be more aggressive with elk than for whitetails back east. You can get away with alot as long as they don't smell you!

- Enjoy the mountains....even when you are not into elk. There is no other place on earth like the Rockies!

12-Mar-17

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
Every one of these responses is pure gold. I was lucky enough to be able to drive out to Colorado from California in 1998, and hunt with an Elk Killer with 20 years under his belt.

I learned volumes of info about elk hunting on public land on that first trip.

Needless to say, the hook was set, and I've been an elk addict ever since, mainly hunting the same area.

If there's one thing that has led to successful hunts over the last 19 years, I would have to say "persistence". Have a plan every morning, regardless of weather, silent bulls, etc...never quit !

Best of Luck, Jeff

12-Mar-17
Wasn't my first elk hunt, but I put us in a good spot in a new unit I had never even visited via the CPW maps, then Google Earth and because I live in Colorado I was able to get out and put boots on the ground. It's one tool in the tool box and is as much a way to eliminate a spot as find stuff to check out. These days I mostly use the same program I GPS navigate with versus Google Earth. Backcountry Navigator, I can Google back and forth from topo to Forest Service(trails and trailheads) maps to Satellite. Now if the stinking draw results would come out I could start serious planning!

12-Mar-17
I've been learning a totally new unit the past three years. I'm lucky to be able to scout on the ground in the summer, but that doesn't help with figure out hunting pressure. On CO public land, pressure is the #1 variable. About 75% of the spots I summer-scout are tossed-out after season starts for various reasons.

All but one of my current best spots were discovered during the season, while hunting, often based on where others were hunting. I did a ton of driving around during the day and comparing where I believed other hunters would push elk with topo maps, DIY Hunting Maps (to figure out old closed access roads), StartMyHunt maps (for habitat information) and Google Earth maps I'd pre-downloaded and printed. Sometimes I didn't hunt for a morning or evening but instead looked for where others were parking to hunt to triangulate where they'd push elk.

On day 5 of the first season I called in and shot under a solid 340-class bull (shot low with a recurve, underestimated the range). A pair of other hunters came in and hunted in bad wind so I moved over the ridge to a different new spot where elk would flee. On day 8 we worked a 300+ bull in for my buddy who came for the weekend, but not quite in range. Day 9 I watched two 320-class bulls bugling back and forth but ran out of daylight. We'd never been to that spot before. Since then I keep finding new spots based on hunter pressure, and abandoning other marginal spots. Sometimes other hunters in camps will let some clues slip if you listen carefully and don't try to pry.

The key is to be extremely mobile and flexible until you find elk. Elevation isn't as important as where they go to escape from pressure. Even where there is no pressure they move a lot. Use your wheels, optics, and maps and you'll find elk.

12-Mar-17
I'm 0 for 3 on DIY OTC archery hunts in Colorado. The first 2 trips I had absolutely no idea what I was doing and still had 2 close encounters. It would've been sheer luck if I had killed one. Last year was the first time that I really studied and prepared and felt like I had a legit chance. My boys and I walked over 55 miles and still were not successful. So it wasn't because we were sitting around camp...

My advice is this - don't wait too long to pack up camp and move 30 miles away. We hunted the first week and put probably 40 miles on our boots seeing no fresh sign before we packed up and moved to a different OTC unit. There was way less pressure at the new spot and we were into elk the first night, but only had 3 days to hunt and never closed the deal. If only we had moved sooner.

--Mitch

12-Mar-17
You newer elk hunters & some older ones should read Rocky D's Post. It's a Home Run! You may want to read it twice! (grin)

ElkNut1

12-Mar-17
I agree with elknut, rocky's post is spot on. As well as the others, a lot of good advice.

As for my experience - we (5 guys) got skunked on our first trip. We had lots of fun and saw elk but couldn't close the deal. One of our guys could have shot a cow but he didn't and later he was wishing he did because he didn't have any other opportunity to shoot anything. Our next trip didn't happen till 7 years later which was in 2014 and we hunted for 2 weeks and come home with 5 bulls. Which I don't know if we will ever be able to do that again but I really believe in the success can be part of a mindset thing.

Hunt hard, all day, don't give up, be aggressive, set up in front of trees or brush, not behind them.

The main thing though for me is to go and have fun and enjoy the time spent with fellow hunters and to see God's beautiful country! And hopefully see elk..... ?

12-Mar-17
There is no magic script or potion.

What works for me may not work for you, and what works for you may not work for me. There are just way too many variables.

Hell, first time elk hunters dont even know if they like it! [Highly unlikely but it could happen :) ]

1- Just go elk hunting.

2- Dont over think it.

3- Do the best for yourself and take away what means the most

Good Luck!

12-Mar-17
Elk will hole up in the least likely places... you don't always have to be 6 miles to be in elk. Go slow, but not to slow. :)

Good luck and go for it!

Scar.

12-Mar-17
Elknut1, thanks and I really need to post via the puter instead cell or at least proof and edit!

12-Mar-17
great responses guys. even with my very limited experience, i strongly agree that the mental game is key. that being said, I'd love to hear some more specific thoughts, without talking about specific spots etc.

For example, how did you pick "your" unit before you ever set foot in it? i know there is alot of info from the CO website, but the descriptions of the units are pretty vague.

how are you using maps? are you starting with topos to find drainages etc, and then looking at google earth to get an idea of the vegetation?

how are you thinking about access points? Are you starting with the mass trail heads, and then looking for alternative access points where the people coming from the mass trail heads will be pushing animals?

keep the ideas coming guys!

and please share your first time story!

12-Mar-17
I picked my new area largely because it has low elk density, low hunter success, relatively low pressure, some designated wilderness to occupy the "way backer" go-getters and keep them out of my hair, and lots of ATV roads in other areas that keeps the ATV guys close to their ATVs. That leaves hundreds of square miles of roadless National Forest that hardly anybody hunts.

PM me your email and I'll send a copy of my article from Bow&Arrow Hunting from year before last describing how to unravel a new elk area.

12-Mar-17

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
This was some first hunt success. Just total luck. We didn't know anything about this unit. We had a unit picked, but it was overrun. So we moved. Didn't even have a map. Tore a page out of an atlas and hiked into a wilderness area. Killed this bull 3 days later.

Just total luck

13-Mar-17
I started out looking for "mass" trailheads, and quickly realized that was dumb. You CAN hunt these mass trailheads and have some luck, especially if you hunt the nearby overlooked areas that people are walking past or are just the opposite side of where the trail leads. However, sometimes the mass trailheads have hunting pressure in all directions.

I'm low success on kills so far although I've been in elk on all my more recent hunts, but a lot of it can be chalked up to "learning the hard way" so far (I think). For me, picking units is all about hunting the type of terrain and style of hunting I want. Yes, to some extent, that means the hunt itself is in some ways as important as the kill for me. I believe general and otc areas generally hold distributed elk populations in similar densities if they are mostly public and have the habitat to support elk. Of course there are outliers that you would like to be able to spot from your comfy seat in front of your laptop. However, this can be a difficult task.

Parking at the end of a FS road that has no other vehicles can sometimes be a good thing, putting you into rutting elk galore near the road. Other times it means that there isn't an elk within 4 miles. Hard to tell without putting down the leather because there are just SO many variables.

13-Mar-17
I'm currently in my planning and research for my2018 trip West to elk hunt..I've read hundreds and hundreds of threads that vary from one extremity to the other.THIS IS THE BEST AND DOWN TO IT THE MOST INFORMATIVE THREAD IVE EVER READ..FOR US NEW GUYS... CAN'T THANK ALL OF THE POSTERS ENOUGH!!

13-Mar-17
Cheesehead Mike and I have done it many times.

13-Mar-17
My first elk hunt was piggy backed off a mule deer hunt. I'd hiked in, found a lot of elk sign, killed my mule deer and went home (Arkansas) and was telling my buddy about all the elk sign and he said "lets go" and we did, drove right back to CO and hunted for a week. Didn't kill (missed a big bull) and when we got back to AR he said are you going back and hunting the rest of the season? I figured why not, I was off work, and did.

3 weeks, 3 round trips from Arkansas to Colorado and I killed a small 5x5 on that last trip out.

Walked a lot, found elk, hunted hard. That's my only keys to success I guess

13-Mar-17
An area can vary from year to year. So if you encountered any elk and not a ton of hunters, you may want to rethink moving to a new area. And I would recommend killing the first legal elk that gets in bow range (male or female). Those chances can be few and far between.

13-Mar-17
Make sure you use all the layers on Google Earth. Knowing where water sources are critical.

Prominent point are good places?to start scouting and save in both time and distance.

I killed my second and third elk based on a tidbit of information from a fellow Bowsite. He called and said he was leaving early and didn't like the area but had seen a monster bull. I figured that I only needed one.

The spot was fabulous and I killed an 8x6 and another hunter killed a 380+ bull. Come to find out that the state elk biologist took his wife into the same area.

Many times a single peice of information can determine success. Many times seasoned elk callers favor cow calls but I keep in mind Big Dan's opinion of them lest I forget to use the bugle.

13-Mar-17
One thing I forgot to mention is the time slider on GE. Two of my areas have time stamps of the second and third week of September. I was able to "pin" camps and also parked vehicles, which saved a lot of driving time because guys tend to use the same camps year after year. Helped with triangulating where others were and weren't hunting.

13-Mar-17
Guys, I love elknut1 playbook. I do not know the critique from more experienced elk hunters but for me it's a thumbs up.

24-May-17
Oldie but a goody.. still one of the best threads on Bowsite.

25-May-17
This september will be my 7th season in a row. I have shot a bull every year but couldn't recover one of them. Each bull was a little bigger than the previous. I stay in shape for my hunts, but I have noticed with my partners that mental strength gives out on guys before their physical. A lot my success in all bowhunting has been because I stuck with it until the end and was persistent. Easy to get demoralized and beat and want to head to town for a warm dry bed and a beer, but it won't help you kill elk. Prepare mentally and tell yourself you are gonna leave it all in the mountains. If you do, you won't be disappointed oil or no kill at least you gave it your all. Also, I do a ton of google earth and marking up a topo map with saddles, benches, preferred routes to take, camp spots, etc. I have noticed over the years of hunting new units and states is that the areas we run into the best hunting, I had circled on my topo and put a star while google earth scouting.

25-May-17
Many times between myself and MTC.

25-May-17
Many moons ago we went to a new spot with 1 year elk experience. We spiked in and our first morning had an opportunity within a quarter mile of the tent and then killed a different bull a half hour later probably a quarter mile up the hill. Never had put boots on the ground in that unit before then.

It can be done.

25-May-17
First year in Wyoming, we called in four bulls on opening morning half a mile from the trail head. Bull Down. It can be done and you don't always have to be 6 miles in.

25-May-17
I didn't kill the first year, but I thought that we were still successful. First morning we had 3 opportunities on different bulls within a 4 hour stretch. My cousin passed up a nice 5x5 that he regretted on our first set up, and I was a step away from getting a shot at an ok 6x6 on our second set up. Then we had another legal bull that just never gave my cousin a shot on our third set up. Not sure if he would have shot him or not. All of them were less than 25 yards. At the end of the day we looked at each other and just laughed. It was a blast. We ended up having 10 good opportunities on that trip having never elk hunted before. We went out with an open mind. We got to where we parked at 4PM the night before, after a drive in from Wisconsin, and decided that we were just going to "take a hike" with our gear and ended up finding some fresh sign. If that area wouldn't have panned out we had about a dozen others we wanted to check out. I think going in with reasonable expectations is key. If you get in an area and don't find steaming sign or hear elk, move on until you find it. Have a bunch of spots picked out and stay mobile until you get on the elk.

All of our scouting was done electronically. We looked for drainages that ran east/west that had food, water, and heavy timber. We found that our best spots were in those drainages that had a spring or a seep on the north facing slope. Sometimes they can be tough to spot from Google Earth or a sat photo, but look for changes in vegetation on the north facing slopes. Typically these tend to be the bedding areas. If you can find those areas get near by with the wind and thermals in your favor. We never ventured into the bedding areas, but were able to call or intercept elk coming and going from them. In some cases, these areas were only a couple hundred feet vertical from the valley floor and in other cases they were 600-1000 vertical feet.

Last year we ventured into a new area and my cousin called a nice 6x6 that I shot. It was the 6th day of our hunt, but the 4th spot we tried. Never saw the spot before, but just went off what we saw on GE and we killed the bull 200yards from where we dropped a waypoint on the GPS while we were sitting in WI planning in July. Each spot we tried prior to that we worked bulls, but just couldn't seal the deal. All those spots were found on sat photo or GE.

Like I mentioned earlier, keep an open mind and a positive attitude. Learn as much about elk as you can until your hunt. I would highly recommend Elk101's University of Elk Hunting. It will help shorten the learning curve. Looking back on that first year I hunted I think my cousin and I both would have tagged out if we had some of the knowledge from UEH. You will never forget the sound of that first bugle or the picture of the first bull you call in. It is addicting. Good luck!

25-May-17

stealthycat's embedded Photo
stealthycat's embedded Photo
I asked a Colorado guy what the toughest area was, he said Weminuche was tough. I went there - killed a bull first rookie year and made a lot of mistakes

• Sitka Gear