dgildy 15-Mar-17
Rickm 15-Mar-17
Bowboy 15-Mar-17
SBH 15-Mar-17
BULELK1 16-Mar-17
ElkNut1 16-Mar-17
hillbender 16-Mar-17
12-Mar-17
I would appreciate input on planning my DIY, public land elk hunt in south central Wyoming this fall.

I'll point out that I am a novice but hunted the area in 2014. I was advised once not to go out to this area before September 14, because the bulls never start bugling in this area before the 14th.

I am planning to take 3 weeks to drive out and hunt. My question is should I plan to leave September 9th and hunt through the end of Sept, or should I leave a week earlier, and gain a "free day" of vacation for labor day? So in that case I would have two weeks before the elk started becoming vocal, and one with bugling - but the pressure may be lighter. Or I would have 2 weeks of bugling, but presumably more pressure.

From my previous trip, it did not seem there was much pressure, but the bugling was really minimal even after the 14th (which was exactly the morning they did start!)

Thoughts appreciated! Thanks for your help.

Dave

12-Mar-17
Every week in Sept has it's pro's and con's Although the odds for bugling action may be better later in the month, that's certainly not a given. There have been years the bulls have been talking good the first week, then become quiet as a church mouse for the rest of the month. Also, If you find a wallow, it's likely to be used more frequently that first week. Long story short, the better you know your area, the better the first week can be.

Although it's true bulls may become more vocal around the middle of the month, therefore easier to find, you're not the only one to think that makes it the best time to hunt. The 2nd and 3rd weeks are a zoo! Another reason earlier can be better is that herd bulls aren't surrounded by a dozen sets of eyes, ears , and noses. They can also be more susceptible to calling in before they gather their harems.

The last week can many times be the best hunting. Not only have the crowds thinned out, but the bulls may still be bugling great.

If I were you, all things considered, I'd go the 9th-30th.

15-Mar-17
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to stick with the 9th- 30th as you suggest. I think if later makes it more likely for them to be vocal, I am going to need that to help locate them. Dave

15-Mar-17
I do like the first week in areas I know well but the 9th on should give you a good window to get on some vocal bulls.

15-Mar-17
Yep, what Wyobullshooter said.

15-Mar-17
That's great you are able to take that much time. That will be a huge advantage. Stay with it and you'll get your chance. Let us know how you do.

16-Mar-17
This year, for me anyways, Labor Day is a few days to early. But I am like 3 1/2 hour drive.

Are you traveling 2-3 days? Then take advantage of the Holiday--freeby day off.

Good luck, Robb

16-Mar-17
I agree, the more days you can hunt the more your odds for success will rise! Once out there do not be afraid to Bugle, this is a huge short coming many elk hunters fail at! Remove yourself from the populace the best you can, it's not that difficult as long as you don't use the same access points. Be creative & choose areas to start your hunt each morning where most hunters wouldn't. This will help you not to be intimidated to call enough in your efforts to locate elk especially in timbered country where glassing isn't ones best bet! Call to locate, once elk are found now go to them with little to no calling, each situation can be different!

I like getting elevation & finding as many large openings as possible for evening glassing, once those elk are found that's where I'd be hunting come morning. This can really pay off well!

If not finding elk after a couple of days of boon-docking through the woods 5-10 miles a day calling here & there to locate & glassing evenings then consider this tactic!

OK, you've hunted hard with little luck, time to pull out the stops! Consider driving away from base camp 1-1/2 hours before daylight it's a great way to locate bulls. Drive to areas you feel your Bugle will carry well in the early morning air, stop, turn engine off & give a location bugle or 2 - 3, stay at each spot 2-3 minutes & move on if no response, do this about every 1 mile, this could take one mile or 15 miles, don't limit yourself, this is best if after Sept 8th but have had it work well Sept 1st too, call to just after daylight if needed.

You will find elk sooner or later, don't do it for only one day & not hear anything & then quit, be willing to do this as many days as it takes, be persistent & in shape because you can hear a bugle anytime & anyplace. Have your packs in rig ready for the days hunt, you will end up needing them. Once elk are located get over their way to start your hunt, make sure you have the wind in your favor as you close the distance, as you head their way listen for additional elk talk so you have a solid direction, let the fun begin! You can do this! (grin) Have confidence & be in elk shape so you get the most out of your hunt during your time there!

Number one piece of advice I can offer is this, good elk hunters are good "sufferers"! Be persistent & don't easily give up! 30 seconds of jubilation with an elk on the ground can erase days of frustration! >>>>>>

ElkNut1

16-Mar-17
Starting later in the month is probably best. Im faced with the exact same quandary. Even though I love the bugling peak I know myself and Im probably not going to be able to wait and will likely head out for the opener. I usually hunt CO and have had good success in the early season on naive elk. And with a little luck maybe this is a early bugling year. Its my first WY hunt and I plan on taking a scouting mentality and looking at a lot of country and then returning later in Oct with a rifle to hunt some lower range stuff. Hopefully one or the other trip will result in a nice bull but either way Ill have a good frame of reference for future hunts . Ill be solo in south central WY as well. If your going solo pm me might be handy to trade phone numbers

• Sitka Gear