fubar racin 14-Mar-17
Kurt 14-Mar-17
Scooby-doo 14-Mar-17
lewis 14-Mar-17
WFG in NM 14-Mar-17
txhunter58 15-Mar-17
Kurt 15-Mar-17
13-Mar-17
Anyone tried any of these and how did it work I would use it for light camping but thought it would be neat for me and my wife on short trips.

13-Mar-17
My hunting partner had one like that and we had the same impression as Ohiohunter. A bigger detached tent is a better deal and leaves you free to drive around in your truck.

13-Mar-17
Shared one with a buddy. Temps dropped big time during the night, wind and snow. Never been so cold in a tent. Was surprised how much heat was lost being up off the ground. I wouldn't invest in one either

13-Mar-17
I think Lewis is describing the Cabelas tent that is a conventional ground mounted tent, except you can back up against one end of it and attach it over the rear of your pickup canopy with the tailgate down and canopy rear window up. You can unhook it from the truck and use it as a conventional tent in about a minute as well. I have one, as does my brother.....bargain basement $150 specials. They work very well, as you have about a 9'x9' (or 10'x10' tent?) to use. The tailgate of the truck makes a good table to cook on with the propane stove, prepare supper, etc. And you can sleep in the bed of the truck on a big foamy and/or set up a cot in the tent. Serves two people very well and is lighter, faster and easier way to camp versus a larger tent that achieves the same square footage (which I have as well....an 8 man Cabelas 6 pole dome with vestibules that is my choice for fly-in base camps). Not a bad tent to have in in your arsenal.

Anyway the tent that attaches to the truck (not on the truck) is going strong after about 9 years of moderate use. It isn't too bad in the wind but not as good as a dome tent. Any special questions just fire away.............

13-Mar-17
Damn Kurt that's what I'm talking about ill check it out thanks all Lewis

13-Mar-17
Now I want to check it out too! Like I need another damn tent, but I'm not familiar with this one and it sounds great.

13-Mar-17
I've got one exactly as Kurt describes. Very handy and lets the back of the truck or SUV add the extra room. Sadly I haven't used mine since I got an old trailer. Mine is a Cabela's also.

13-Mar-17
I see some that attach to an SUV, but none to a pickup? Link?

14-Mar-17
My bad. Thought you meant IN the bed.

14-Mar-17
My thinking on this is to sleep in truck bed and step out on dry ground with good head room get dressed and go hunting.As long as set up time is not too bad should be pretty cool.Lewis

14-Mar-17
Got a link? Seems like a pretty good idea!

14-Mar-17
Google Cabelas truck tent. They have two models now......$400 and $450. Inflation! They call them a SUV tent....but work fine with a pickup with a shell on it (canopy, topper, whatever). Not for a pickup with a bare box or even a tonneau cover though. One drawback to consider is if your truck is caked in fresh mud you will get the attaching end of the tent dirty. Good luck.

14-Mar-17
100% on the Cabelas truck tent, I had one until the misses was in a hurry and jumped in the truck and took off. She got about 50 yards before she heard me screaming. I bought the one that fit my GMC Canyon perfectly with my cap. Believe it or not Cabelas was willing to sell me one for half price when I called them with the story. I ended up buying a pop-up and I beleive that was at least 10 years ago. Scooby

14-Mar-17
Thanks all for the info good ideas Lewis

14-Mar-17
My Bride recently got me/us a Kodiak truck tent. Haven't used it yet, probably will only use it as a 2 or 3 season tent. I know this isn't helpful, just interested in your post.

Take care, --Bill

15-Mar-17
Kurt, the only thing Cabelas search shows that meet this threads description (ground based tent that attaches to rear end of camper/suv) run $229 to 369. Not sure what you are talking about. Always helps with a link. :-)

15-Mar-17
I was on the Canadian Cabelas site. They are cheaper in the US. Napier Sportz SUV tent model 82000 and 84000. Ours is similar to the 82000 but Cabelas green and light yellow color scheme.

No photos or links from me. Sorry.

• Sitka Gear