kellyharris 23-Mar-17
Thornton 24-Mar-17
8point 24-Mar-17
elk yinzer 24-Mar-17
jjs 24-Mar-17
Mint 28-Mar-17
tradmt 28-Mar-17
18-Mar-17
I saw a story in a local sportsman's paper touting the benefits of an "airbow". It is a crossbow like apparatus that uses compressed air instead of a string to propel a bolt at 450 fps. They were saying how wonderful this device will be for hunters and especially the very young and very old.

Just when I thought I'd heard everything.

TMBB

18-Mar-17

Too Many Bows Bob's Link
Here's the link. Jim Shockey is pushing them.

TMBB

18-Mar-17
Fred Eichlers pushing them too.

18-Mar-17
Of course they are pushing them. Anything to make a buck. Some people have no conscience. None of this is archery and has gotten just plain ridiculous. There is already underway a movement to allow them in archery season. Just like xbows, the game depts. will give in to further expand their own agenda. If the young/old need extra consideration, then just give them a 30/30.

18-Mar-17
The ~10 prior Bowsite threads on the subject were informative.

18-Mar-17
It's a high end air gun that shoots a custom arrow. Really nothing archery related about it.

18-Mar-17
The funny thing is people think these are new. FX airguns has been making one for at least 10 years. It is 10 times the quality of the Benjamin and NO THEY ARE NOT A BOW!! Shawn

18-Mar-17
Fred Eichler evolved as a "bowhunter", lol. Same bullsheet we heard with those who use crossbows.

18-Mar-17
Someone said Maryland has already allowed them. I could not confirm this but it was posted on the LW. Scooby

18-Mar-17
I've known Fred since he was a teenager. He would shoot stuff with a slingshot, BB gun, atl- atl, toothpick through a straw, whatever. Fred just likes to shoot stuff. But he's a bowhunter first, and a really damn good one.

He uses GASP! rifles to shoot predators. He's a hunter, not an elitist with a chronic personality disorder. The difference between him and the rest of us is that he's killed the Super Slam with a recurve, the first to do it, and we haven't. So we're free to bash him however we want.

If its on the LW it must be true, lol. The "airbow" is already legal in most of the country for varmints and predators. The world is ending......

18-Mar-17
^^^^Lol jaq you nailed it! Not to mention he's having the time of his life!

18-Mar-17
Well I want one before the world ends. :)

18-Mar-17
Lou did not even imply it was true, just read it. I actually had a chance to shoot the proto type at an airgun shoot Crossman puts on about 3 years ago. As I said FX out of Sweden makes some of the best airguns in the world and they have made one for years. I have no problem with them! I just do not want them allowed in archery seasons. Scooby

18-Mar-17
Misleading name. They should call it the Arrowgun.

18-Mar-17
The question becomes....the weapon is defined by its projectile or by the launching mechanism. Personally I think the launching mechanism is the determining factor.

19-Mar-17
A bow is a weapon that shoots an arrow via energy stored in drawn limbs. By this definition a crossbow is most certainly a bow. An airbow isn't.

19-Mar-17
Scooby-doo, didn't mean to imply that you said it was true - just poking at the LW, which is like an elephant-sized pinata. I understood what you meant and sorry If it came off differently.

BTW, a few years ago some internet bowhunters were all tweaked out about a gun that shot arrows with a .22 charge behind it. That didn't get any traction in bow seasons either.

19-Mar-17
X2 Woods Walker. X2 Lou and Fred getting the grand slam with a recurve. I like watching Fred's shows, he is a genuine character and his excitement is honest. Plus he doesn't wear WWF or Rock Star face paint. So what if he likes to shoot something besides a real bow, I bet every one of you do also. As for the airgun, not for me and it does not belong in archery season.

19-Mar-17
So the question in my mind, is whether Shockey or Eichler are endorsing these things as bows, or have just used them to some extent. Personally I don’t care if they drop a rock on something from a tree stand if it’s legal, however to use celebrity status to push this hardware, in my mind would have an odor to it.

19-Mar-17
No apology needed Lou, people do get worked up about some stupid things. The thing is these things are worst then even a crossgun. Now airguns on the other hand are awesome. I own a few that I paid a couple grand each for and I love to kill varmints with them. Scooby

19-Mar-17
I think they are great for rifle season and I applaud anyone who uses them in that season as they are certainly more limited in range and more of a challenge. No place in archery seasons, however.

19-Mar-17
worthless IMO. They have been making .50 cal airguns that shoot arrows more accurately long before the airbow made an appearance

19-Mar-17

David A.'s embedded Photo
David A.'s embedded Photo
First legal buck by airgun in Arizona. .50 cal. Twenty yd. shot, 75 yd. recovery. It was fun, but again does not belong in bow season.

20-Mar-17
I think they are cool but I like to shoot stuff that I've never shot before.

These would be HUGE for kids. Not to replace bowhunting but many kids hate the boom of rifles. This would be a great way to get them interested in hunting and also teach them to get them close to game.

I agree should never be allowed in bow season.

20-Mar-17
Follow the money trail. Some of the so-called big name celebrities out there are sponsored by Crossman...who just happens to manufacture the air gun/bow or whatever the heck it is.

20-Mar-17
"These would be HUGE for kids. Not to replace bowhunting but many kids hate the boom of rifles. This would be a great way to get them interested in hunting and also teach them to get them close to game." - Sage Buffalo

Trust me that Airbow BOOMS. It is quite friggin loud

Old old news though this thing

23-Mar-17
I agree with JVT, It should be called a pneumatic dart gun. It should not be allowed during archery season.

23-Mar-17
Yes I have and in a few years Crossbow hunters will be bitching that they don't belong in the regular archery season and that they are ruining hunting!

24-Mar-17

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
If your kids hate the boom of a rifle, buy a suppressor.

24-Mar-17
So what’s the difference? Propulsion: • Gun o A bullet is expelled from the barrel by gas created by powder burning • The AirBow o Projectile is launched by compressed air (gas) Projectile: • Gun o Bullet, small aerodynamic metal • AirBow o long aerodynamic with a metal point Method of use: • Gun o Held to the shoulder, activated by pulling a trigger • AirBow o Held to the shoulder, activated by pulling a trigger ??????????????

24-Mar-17
Common sense tells us this is neither archery, nor a bow. Don't think we need a Supreme Court ruling to clarify that. Then again these days, maybe we do.

Actually, it looks fun. I'd love to play with one. But no doubt they need to stay out of archery season. Heck if the mfgs play their cards right they can buy, ahem, I mean lobby, for a separate season in some of the more gullible states.

24-Mar-17
The NRA will do an end-around to the bowhunters as they did in Wi. for the x-bow and the RNC all voted for it except for 1 DNC, go figure. This will be coming to your season very soon, probably so your 6yr old can shoot the buck to feel good. Enjoy your hunt.

28-Mar-17
To me it is about the same as the crossbow. I do find it funny that the pro crossbow people are saying it shouldn't be allowed in archery season.

28-Mar-17
Lol, bingo!^^^^^^^^^^

• Sitka Gear