PA-R 25-Mar-17
Rickm 25-Mar-17
Guardian Hunter 25-Mar-17
Charlie Rehor 25-Mar-17
rtkreaper 25-Mar-17
WV Mountaineer 25-Mar-17
kellyharris 26-Mar-17
22-Mar-17
For those that 'try' a new guy in camp, how do you 'pre-qualify' or vet someone in hopes they will be a good fit? What do you look for? What are some red flags?

For those that have good a hunting buddy, what traits do they have that are in line with yours? [Other than the obvious of hunting and the outdoors]

Many of us have had those ones that just didnt work out too, why didnt they?

22-Mar-17
Smoking would be an immediate dis qual for me. Excessive bragging I can do without as well. That is usually an indication of some underlying asshat-ery.

22-Mar-17
First thing I do is look at where they are from. Iowa is top of the list as being out. Next I see how fit they are. If they are in better shape then me they are scratched off the list. Next thing is if they run races, yep they're gone. :)

22-Mar-17
Spend time away from hunting first. That is the first test. If I can't enjoy being around you much on just a social side, we won't get along hunting too well. Then try some small hunts before you commit to a week long hunting trip.

I had one buddy that I got along with pretty well. But when hunting he would just do some things that would drive me crazy. I still hunt with him some, but I don't make it more than a half day trip.

22-Mar-17
First question is always "Have you ever spent a week or more away from your wife and kids without contact?"

22-Mar-17
I hunted with a couple of Bowsiters on a NE turkey hunt a few years ago. One of them traveled with me from Iowa with his young daughter and we got along great. The other guy met us there coming from Colorado and barely made it because of his junk car that blew up and had to get a rental. Then, the first morning we were to hunt, he locked his room key in his room along with his bow so he couldn't even hunt. He finally got to hunt with us one morning then had to head home to try and buy a decent vehicle.

I'd hunt with the first guy again in a heartbeat but that other dude....I don't know. I guess he's a pretty good hunter and kills stuff once in awhile. :) :) :)

This year should be epic and I will be hunting with several Bowsiters this fall...hopefully, I pass muster! I don't kill much but I'm a hell of a packer!

22-Mar-17
I slept with my current one for about a year to make sure she could cut it

22-Mar-17
In non-griz country, I look for guys with a nice truck that can cook. In Griz country, I look for guys I can outrun.

22-Mar-17
3 things....You have to love to hunt, you have to be a decent guy to talk to, and you have to pull your weight.

You guys that have hunted with guys that quit half way through, etc. I couldn't imagine doing that to someone. How is a person wired that makes them think it is okay to back out or hamstring their hunting partner by quitting early? Outside of some type of serious emergency I couldn't imagine how someone could do that.

22-Mar-17
I hear you, Les. Anyone from Wisconsin who does IronMan events is definitely no effin way going to hunt with me! lol

22-Mar-17
I have a really good friend I'd love to hunt with but he smokes in the elk woods. Claims it helps figure out wind direction.

I want to hunt with someone who has a positive attitude, who works as hard as I do in the off-season with fitness and scouting, and who will honor where I'm hunting and not jump on top of me.

22-Mar-17
@Les Welch

Why no love for Iowegians? :)

15 years ago I hunted with a guy couple years. Each day he would go hunt his places and I would go hunt mine. Some days we would hunt together. Then one day he got all pissy because I was seeing elk in my spots and he wasn't so he left.

Another guy I hunted with for a couple years kept saying he was practicing shooting his bow. Well that turned out not to be true when we shot at camp. He couldn't even hit the target at 20yds. After 2 wounded elk in a week, I told him it's prob not gonna work out.

22-Mar-17
One of the things that I think is important is a generally positive attitude. If every little setback gets you lower than low then I won't hunt with you very long. I second the comment above about doing short trips at first to see if you are compatible. There are plenty of people that I like to hang out with but won't do an extended trip with.

22-Mar-17
My hunting partner has always been my brother. This year I'm trying an old college budy. I asked him if we need to take separate vehicles in case someone needs to leave early. He said, "leaving early isn't an option with me, if someone needs to leave early they can hike to a spot with cell signal and call for a ride". Bingo we have a winner.

I think for elk hunting it's probably best to find someone that's hunted elk, for a week or more straight, on a diy serious hunt. My buddy and I are going to a place neither of us have been. I said so do we need to sign a contract that if we find elk in said spot we can only return in future years with each other or with consent of the one not going. Violation of contract is a self inflicted gun shot wound, again he said, " I thought that was assumed to be understand by all envolved". It's best to lay out expectations up front. I'll let you know how it turns out in October.

22-Mar-17
Longer trips can be tough. For some guys the camp itself is high priority, packing as much goods and gear as possible. They revel in the luxury. Others are minimalists, concerned only about the hunt itself. Do what it takes and put up with the deprivation.

Most of us like camp to be as comfortable as reasonably possible, but the definition of reasonable is where things diverge. Being on the same page here will head off a lot of other differences.

I've had the same hunting partner for over twenty years. And now he's mid thirties and I'm mid sixties. A totally dedicated hunter and bowhunter that always goes above and beyond to be a good partner. Every old guy should be so lucky!

Sometimes the only way to find out is to go and find out. I've met some good people doing just that.

22-Mar-17
I think a deal breaker is if someone is constantly blowing stalks by being too aggressive because they are the one who wants to shoot then they are out! Or if your hunting buddy starts inviting other people to your spot then they are also out!

22-Mar-17
I thought I had "vetted" a guy properly last fall based on his experience with the animal and area I was headed. One friend said he's the man and while another agreed he also gave me other info that I regrettably discounted. Not saying the outcome would have been different but I can guarantee the trip would have been better without him.

I won't make that mistake ever again, certainly not on a very special tag that I'll likely never have again.

22-Mar-17
I've taken strangers a number of times. Most were at least okay. Once I took a guy and we had a great time, then later I took him an he brought a number of others. It was a disaster and I'm still working it out in my mind.

First trip I would bring separate vehicles so you can leave if necessary.

22-Mar-17
Got lucky and found a guy that works as hard as I do. That's the main reason I split off from my original hunting partner. Hard to find people that are willing to physically and mentally prepare for a public land elk hunt. Don't get me wrong, I like to have fun, but my main focus is always the harvest, and I need someone that's willing to go above and beyond to get it done. If I can't insure that, I just go solo .

Best of Luck, Jeff

22-Mar-17
"Ass-hatery". LMAO!

I only require that you bring your own bottle of booze and bag of weed. That's it. I'm easy going like that. Oh, and your bow.

;)

22-Mar-17
Rick, that's a good one. I'll bring my 30 pack. Gonna be on the bud this year?

22-Mar-17
I always wondered why Embry's daily hunt threads ended at 4:20. :)

22-Mar-17
I have had 2 partners that hunted as hard and dedicated as I do so i considered myself lucky. unfortunately one passed away 2 years ago of Cancer, he was 46 and the other is 75 years old and is just now showing signs of slowing down a bit, which he deserves! Im not sure i could replace either of them nor do I think im ready to. Past few years I've been going solo for the most part.

22-Mar-17
Ended at 4:20? I thought that's when the real 'trip' started for him :)

22-Mar-17
LOL... Dale, don't think so. We're trying to get our house sold, so things are local until then. "The bud"... huh huh huh.

4:20, whut!?

22-Mar-17
Embry, that was a good pun LOL.

22-Mar-17
There are some basic regional douchebag filters like being a fan of #uckeyes, ravens, or flyers (ok, I know one decent person that's a flyers fan). I don't get along too good with pessimistic people or boring teetotalers. Or the flatbrim brostaffers that video/social medializing everything they do. Add about 1000 other factors and I guess that's the reason I am very apprehensive to ever hunt with a stranger. Thank god I hunt with my dad and brother.

22-Mar-17
I have a fear of ruining a spot to someone who would bring others in, or tell everyone about it. The last few guys I thought about seriously hunting with I took to some easy to get to predator spots and asked them not to tell anyone what's in there, or about the spot. Then waited a few weeks to hear about the new predator spot so & so heard about from them. Haha!

Someone that enjoys thorn brush treks as much as I do is a decent candidate.

22-Mar-17
I can tell after chatting with a guy if it will work. As long as someone isn't a tool and likes to bowhunt I am pretty sure I will get along with them.

Also the guy from Colorado with the crappy car never kills anything, he's just good at photoshop.

22-Mar-17
We once had a guy who went with us ONCE . He could not handle that things in the wilderness ( like float planes ) do not run on an exact time table . Drove us nuts with his complaining . Also , I've never had this happen , but I'd hate to hunt with someone who can't handle failure to harvest . If you absolutely must harvest to have a good time then don't hunt with me . My buddies and I wanna kill but just being there is fun.

22-Mar-17
Was that car a Subaru by chance? If so, he has the propensity to get lost on mountain hikes. That's what I hear anyways.

22-Mar-17
Ask them to send you a facebook friend request, then do this: - "what's facebook?" Proceed to round 2 - When you get the request, check how many friends they have. Greater than 10, eliminate them. - Check how much total crap they post, if things like "my daily crap report" eliminate them - Ask how they call home when there's no cell signal. If they whine, eliminate them (no issue with calling home, but if' it's a must, they're gone)

22-Mar-17
No Cheeseheads or Irish! LOL! Just kidding, I can be talked into hunting with the Irish! (Paraphrasing "Blazing Saddles")

Actually my criteria is much the same as others. Someone needs to be on the same wavelength as me and my hunting styles. Nothing wrong with having a celebratory beverage or shot of scotch. But if you want to get hammered every night, probably will be the last hunting trip we do together.

To be honest, I have never had an issue. Maybe I am the @hole and no one wants to hunt with me!

And Wisconsites are welcome!

22-Mar-17
Went with a guy at work and when I got to the camp,and I use the word loosely,his son and brother in law was there.we all slept in a shed the size of a frigerator box seemed like.I didn't smoke,but two did.the son complained and whined all the time,and brother in law always was saying let's try a new spot for a big one.he always had a sock pinned to him soaked in the old school skunk scent.this was during deer gun season.no deer,but some good lessons on who not to hunt with.

22-Mar-17
I have one buddy who I hunt with, he is quite a bit younger then me and did not start til he was around 20. He is still learning so I get a bit upset with him sometimes. We hunt locally together. If I am hunting out of state, I much prefer to hunt by myself as I am very scent conscious and like doing things my way way. Scooby

22-Mar-17
Punctuality. Pisses me off when someone makes me late.

If I say "Keep up or catch up" usually solves that issue

22-Mar-17
Ohiohunter... your last paragraph is a GREAT point. That's the way I feel as well. If I'm hunting with someone in the elk woods that is all about themselves, that's a deal breaker. Example... my old elk hunting buddy from OKC area, we did just that on our first elk hunt together. We flipped a coin and he won first day and we switched the days thereafter. He shot an elk the first day. It was his first ever elk hunt and my third. I was still elk-less to that point, but was able to connect the last day on my first.

Elk hunting is a different deal when you've worked hard to learn an area and then you bring someone you don't fully know. I've seen here on bowsite where people got burnt more than once. That would suck. Can't blame folks for hunting solo or never taking anyone to their "spots".

22-Mar-17
I must have passed the vetting process. Lol! Robb (BULELK1) invited me out to WY and it went just fine....in my opinion anyway :0) Robb may want to chime in as he has invited quite a few off of this site out to hunt. TODDY

22-Mar-17
The only thing worse than going on a long hunt with the wrong partner is coming home to the wrong partner.

So generally the guy I hunt with will be a team guy when works needs done. He'll be a glass-3/4-full guy and not a complainer. We share a few other things in common outside of hunting. He's chasing adventure as much as the animal itself. He's not selfish in any way, and is a good compromiser. He also isn't afraid to say what he thinks about how we do things. Humility and a manageable ego are pretty important. More sportsman and conservationist than killer. Doesn't waste time in judgment of others' methods. Favorite mood-altering substance is a combination of mountain air and cold creek water. If he likes good Kentucky bourbon, or maybe a dry red...in moderation...bonus points. He's probably a little salty in terms of hunting experience and the skills that go with it. He doesn't use any form of tobacco and that's something I don't compromise on....period.

Also, his wife is generally very attractive and kind in nature. Wives like that tend to NOT be married to creeps and men of bad spirit.

22-Mar-17
I always knew I wanted to go hunt with Embryo for a reason... I'm always amazed how his deer hunts turn into hog hunts before it's all over with. LOL

22-Mar-17
Boot... I just can't help myself. Especially if it's a big old seed spreaders boar or a sow with tits dragging the ground. Arrow launched. You're always invited after the deer season. Come on...

22-Mar-17
I enjoy hunting with others, but I generally hunt alone because I'm not going to be held back or slow down or give up.

22-Mar-17
I just go by myself, I'm not real good company, I work in a profession where I talk all day and I am not usually looking for added social time. I'm not going far from town, and friends/family know where base camp is and that I will eventually return if they need to find me. friends and family know that in general if I am elk hunting I am in general area x, if I am deer hunting I am not far from the cabin unless I have spotted a biggun, or have gone after mulies. If I am wolf hunting I am in area Y, Bear hunting area Z, grouse hunting in area k. etc, etc.

22-Mar-17
Pretty much narrowed down to two guys I will go on an extended hunt with. Burned through a couple others years ago..Have one possible newbie that I have known for a few years. I don't mind not finding or killing but can't stand bad attitudes and complaining.

I do have a couple Bowsiters I have hunted with and would do so again in a heartbeat. Hope they feel the same about me.

It is too important, expensive and time commitment to have a spoiler in camp.

22-Mar-17
I've hunted with several guys on this thread and are fortunate enough to call them friends. Just all around good people who I plan on many more hunts with God willing.

Some have "vetted" me before as well ;^) which did not bother me one bit. One even asked if I was a firefighter, long story (Embry). I also should work on punctuality more too ;^)

I will say this though. I have hunted with guys that I simply won't anymore. Most are still friends but I just didn't click with them in the field, camp for whatever reasons. It's just not worth the discomfort and awarkdnesss to do it again or ruin a non-hunting friendship.

Like Lou said, if guys are thinking and doing what your are doing year round to stay prime is a good start.

23-Mar-17
Nowadays I only hunt with my son or my wife. I don't like to hunt alone and before I changed hunting partners to family only, I was always looking for a good hunting partner. More than once I've had my new partner come back to "my" area with his friends. Ultimately I had to find a new place to hunt.

Once I drove to Wyoming in my truck with another guy. After a few days he said he had to leave. Turns out he was having trouble with his girl friend and had to smooth things out. Like a fool I drove back home. I've regretted that many times since.

Another time I drove from WV to Wyoming with a guy in his truck. Before we left I got him to agree we would be there X days. Well we got our animals early and I said fine now we can fish and see the sights. No he insisted we should leave even though a blizzard was forecast for our route home. The drive was terrible, we finally had to stop in SD and spend the night since we could barely see past the hood on the truck.

Now that I only hunt with family I don't have these problems.

23-Mar-17
Eight times to CO only took one other hunter but I am starting to think about teaching a younger guy the ropes before I can't go anymore. Seems like a good idea but like the thread states they would need to be compatible!

23-Mar-17
I'm thinkin' I find anybody that meets all this criteria I'm gonna have to ask em to marry me......

I'm blessed with a hunting partner that I can barely keep up with. Just drives me more. Now and then I might even get the upper hand, not often. We've got many thousands of miles under the bridge.....

"Can't kill em on the couch" and "can't kill it sittin' here" ring in my ears..... But I use it as much as I hear it too......

23-Mar-17
I don't pre-qualify anyone. I respect each and everyone of us that we are going to be different.

I could care less how great a shape someone is in---they 'aint' on my back while out hunting ~~ we all huff-n-puff cruising the mountain so they do what they can to get in shape.

I state to each that this is their vacation and their tag and their hunt, that there are NO camp rules, no wives in camp and that we are tax paying Adult men that have earned an opportunity.

If ya wanna take a day off from hunting and run up to Jackson Hole and play tourist--go for it, ya wanna get shit-happy drunk around the night campfire go for it---simply enjoy your vacation and hunt.

Come out and enjoy Wyo bow elk hunting/camp.

That stated----------->

I do weed out before any invite the 'Score' types, ya know; 'I want an opportunity or two of at least a 300 bull' that would be like me telling them if I take them up on an invite for a Whitey Buck in their state that I want a 150 buck! And the I am in great shape and can do 2-3 miles in no time type guys---there is no race while hunting elk---is there?

I can honestly say I have learned something from each and every guy that has come out to my Wyo bow elk camp every year, that has improved my bow shooting or my woodsmanship skills ect.

Good luck, Robb

PS-the only hunt I have any regret on is when Lou (cityhunter) came out to my home state to bow hunt muleys and I had a commitment via BOU (Bow Hunters of Utah) for a Mentor bow elk hunt youth winner that I was taking/Mentoring up on the North Slope of the High Uinta's so Lou had a different deer unit tag and couldn't come up to my Mentor Youth elk camp. Although he still hunted his NY-butt off in his tag unit.

23-Mar-17
I am easy to get along with and get at least as much joy out of seeing/helping someone else kill something over myself. I could find a common ground and make friends with nearly anyone. The only exception would be the constant complainer or the pussy type. We are hunting which is awesome so I don't want to hear you complain ever. We are men so I don't want to hear/see you acting like a bitch/pussy either. As long as your not that kind of guy, you'd be welcome in my camp.

23-Mar-17
My first vetting question would be: How good is your spot and can you put me on a bull?

;^D

23-Mar-17
"I do weed out before any invite the 'Score' types" Amen, BULELK1! I don't like to hunt with those who carry a tape measure. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but I don't hunt with those who're all about the rack and don't care about enjoying the whole hunt experience. And I don't hunt with those who can't whisper (that includes my brother).

23-Mar-17
Thankfully I've actually grown up with about 4 guys that I would do any kind of hunt with. We all share the same values,morals, and determination and positivity. One of them is my brother, and somehow we've never done a big hunt together. That changes this year for moose!

23-Mar-17
I hunt with three different guys, three different personalities. I have hunted with some of the toughest people around (physically and mentally) and everybody whines once in a while, just don't do it to much! We all have different hunting styles for deer and elk so once we get to or "Spot" it's every man for himself as far as hunting. Once an animal is down, we all chip in and get the animal serviced and in the cooler. We take turns with meals and help each other around camp. I think that is the way it should be.

Scar.

23-Mar-17
More and more my hunts ar turning solo...

23-Mar-17
Been fooled a few times.

Best bet, take some time to,

Listen, Observe, Be Cautious, Be Very Selective,

A bad hunting companion equals a miserable hunt.

To many folks need to much catering to, have more BS than I want to hear. To much ego. A lack of woodsman-ship and are just plain slobs in camp. They want to move in on your area or another hunters area if a sighting occurs. "Big-time Selfish" !

Only surefire requirement's, "Patience, Respect of Others"

This said, I don't mind helping anyone or giving advise to them.

As we all know, experience can come at any moment :^}

23-Mar-17
I've been blessed to have the same 3 guys for the last 30 yrs. We talk all year and look forward to september. Heck , one of my partners is even a TRADITIONAL hunter, suspenders and all. It can work ...

I don't know what I'd do without those guys.

We did have a guy in camp once that washed his underwear in our cooking pot... Yikes!!!

23-Mar-17
You'll never look at that pot the same

23-Mar-17
Most of the people I hunt with are either family or coworkers. I did invite this guy named Ike to hunt with us one year. It was such a big mistake we are hunting together again this year and we even applied for new mexico tags together last year.

Is it September yet? Ready to do some elk hunting with Ike and Chuck.

23-Mar-17
Fulldraw, You poor bastard....can't imagine. ;-)

23-Mar-17
I would just like to say if anyone has a land owner permit in any premium unit and state that they want to share with me to hunt with them that would probably override any of my prequalifiers...

23-Mar-17
Any more i usually just hunt by myself...lot less headaches.

If i do go on a hunt with somebody else i only have one rule...they have to drive their own truck to camp. That way when they get that pussywhippped call 5 days in they can go home....and not affect my hunt at all ;)

23-Mar-17
Friendship must be about more than just hunting for me.

It is better if you share hunting related activities during and outside of hunting season.

Must hunt with a low impact approach. No smoking.

Take it serious, but not so much the fun is eliminated. It is not a contest.

Respect the land you hunt, treat it as if it were your own.

If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, move on. Life is short.

24-Mar-17
I had my chance with Fulldraw for like 3 Novembers in a row but some one always drew a Sheep tag and I was off to help them instead------so some guy from Cali/Ak. takes my spot!!! haha

Good luck, Robb

24-Mar-17
Well Robb what would be even better is that Cali/Ak guy and yourself both make it one year.

24-Mar-17
Great thread. I enjoyed reading everyone's take on it. For those of us who have more days behind us than in front of us, I think having a hunting partner is paramount. I've hunted with my kids for the past 7 years and enjoyed every second of it. But my son has found the bright city lights more enjoyable than the open spaces of the deer woods. My daughter is in her first year as a RN and gets the shitty shifts so her hunting time is very limited. Hunting with someone you can laugh and strategize with is a gift and should be cherished. I'm jealous of all you of who have hunting partners that take your yearly adventures!

24-Mar-17
First requirement they have an income, got stuck with a gent that came along that was almost broke, charity can only go so far. I need to spend some time with the person to know the character, same goals and responsibility and how to take on adversity, it is a process. Got caught with a gent for 12 days in upper Manitoba that did not go well and my other hunting bud was going to literally kill him, had to strip the gun out of his hand, we ended up leaving him at the border for everyone's wellbeing, happen back in '78' and it still comes up in our hunting experiences.

24-Mar-17
Man, some of you guys sound so miserably unaccepting, it's little wonder no one can "keep up"!

Maybe they're just dropping back to get away from your moody self centeredness.

24-Mar-17
I have a hunting partner from another state that I met in a wilderness area on an elk hunt. We have been on 20+ two week min elk hunts, several mule deer and a antelope hunt. One main reason for me that we hunt together is he has my back. He has the savy to save my bacon if the situation should arise. In our hunts before GPS it would not have been helpful to have someone leading you away from camp rather than to it after the sun was down. We know each other just from hunting together to know when to agree with or not. We have about the same hunt ability which helps, he can read maps, terrain and animals and we do not let egos become problems.

24-Mar-17
Bowfreak, I'm on a less crappy car, but still use photoshop.

I look for someone good in camp, first. Inexperienced hunters that want to learn, and don't think they know everything are welcome. Inexperienced hunters that "read it in a book" and then go out and blow other hunter's stalks, or get lost because they wouldn't stay where they were supposed to, etc, get written off the list.

That being said, I've hunted with several Bowsite folks, including Bowfreak and Inbowdude, and they've all be great to hunt with. Some even are too lazy to go the stand so they just shoot a pig on the way out. :)

24-Mar-17
I am lucky to have a solid hunting partner and best friend! The kind that no words need to be spoken and shit gets done. I have hunted with a few from this site and they make the cut. Well there was that one guy but that's another story. Hunt

24-Mar-17
Amazingly?, I have hunted with very few people 0 On a limited number of hunts over the the last 40 but if I don't draw New Mexico I may be reaching out to see if anyone wants to hunt Montana for elk...

24-Mar-17
Last fall a friend and I were sitting on a ridge, listening to a bull bugle on a ridge across from us. I mentioned that it's too bad it's so hard to get across the bottom of the canyon over to where the bull was, and he said "You do realize that 38 years ago we would already be there".

It had been that long since we first hunted that area, and we've hunted together from Alaska to Africa to Australia since then. We've been hunting with the other guys in camp for about 25 years. A pretty good group of outstanding hunters.

24-Mar-17
I won't hunt with some one who is:

1) Is Late 2) Stays up all night with the wife, girlfriend, or work the night before 3) boozer or smoker 4) Can't shoot 5) Can shoot (or think they can) and shoots a animal you are already drawn on, then looses it due to poor shot placement 6)Shares your spots with everyone 7) Gets lost, a lot 8) Forgets their bow, boots , gloves, release, you name it... 9) Forgets their lisc. OR didn't buy it in time to hunt 10) Loses the car keys then goes nuts on their kid who had nothing to do with it 11) Forgets their share of the gas, food, liquids, gear, etc. , etc. 12) Always wants to leave early-usually cause they are out of shape 13) Always talks about the good old days, when you hunted someplace else, and they weren't that good. 14)Doesn't like to eat venison, fresh fish.. Packs in piles of candy, Mountain Dew, coffee, then can't sleep 15) Writes 15 things wrong with the people they still hunt with...

24-Mar-17
I have a core group of buddies that I'd share camp with. I learned several years back to stop planning hunts "with" someone. I plan a hunt, and if it lines up that two of us go, then great. If not, I'm still going solo. Works out way better this way and i never feel like my plans are ruined by someone else anymore.

24-Mar-17
LOL Tonybear61!

24-Mar-17
The longer I hunt the more I enjoy doing it solo. I find it easier for my sanity to do it alone. To me one of the main enjoyments of hunting is taking a break from life and the drama that surrounds it. If drama is introduced it's time to move on. I've hunted with some solid guys, but the list of who I enjoy hunting with is smaller than it used to be. However there are some top notch folks out there that make hunting with them very fun and enjoyable.

I think that all really successful hunters have their own way of doing things, from gear selection to hunting techniques. Sometimes it just causes issues when you get two roosters in the same hen house. Funny thing is I've never had that problem when I'm hunting solo. The more time goes on I'm finding that, with elk hunting in particular, my favorite hunting partner is my horse. He doesn't say a whole lot, does more than his fair share of the work, doesn't snore, and never argues with me on which way to go. (Well, maybe sometimes but we usually get it worked out alright;)

24-Mar-17
At my senior age and still active, I can not find anyone my age to go hunting with (for the whole season), and everyone younger is still working and with family and has limited time to hunt. So solo I go. No venting, no issues, no problems and if I make a mistake, it is on me. Now, the few times I have had a partner, I tried my best to get them an elk so I felt like I was guiding them but that was ok as I enjoyed the challenge and I know they appreciated the help. Those that I did partner with realized up front the challenge of the elk hunt and we had that conversation prior to the hunt. So no whining and lets hunt 24/7 if needed. The did and they carried their own load and commitment. my best, Paul

25-Mar-17
I hunt with brother, son, grandson and very good, longtime friends. I wouldn't even consider going on a hunting trip with someone that doesn't fit those criteria.

25-Mar-17
Paul, I can relate to your post, at my age I have the same issues, but not a problem. Been hunting alone for years. Peter

25-Mar-17
Everyone has a different level of commitment, expectations, physical ability. Attitude is probobly the most important thing to me.

Maybe we can start Bowsite hunting partner reviews. Kinda like a dating service ??

25-Mar-17
My partners are my sons and my best bud. When others in camp find out my profession and that I own a Hunting company, they want free advice and free products. For goodness sakes, I am on vacation! I am also not in the business of giving my hunting money away by giving away our products. That's why I stick to what I know. Wish everyone well. Hope that doesn't come across to harsh. Gary

25-Mar-17
I had friends that I hunted with when I was younger but most have stopped hunting because of broken bodies, minds or a second wife via "www.Ourtime.com".

Now most of my Western hunts are solo however I've never been somewhere where I didn't meet some great guys or hook-up with some Bowsite dudes. It's a lot of fun walking around responding to wherever the animals lead me. It surprises me how many people are never alone. C

25-Mar-17
Anybody that drinks. Rory

25-Mar-17
They gotta be willing to put in their share of the work and funds. They can't be staying up late drinking and hollering. After that I don't care as I usually hunt alone in the woods.

If I elk hunted a lot I got a group I deer hunt with that would fit the bill just fine. The groups I have went with elk hunting were awesome except two guys. I enjoyed hunting with everyone else. Basically, as long as they respect others and do their part, we'd get along fine. God Bless men

26-Mar-17
I feel very fortunate in the years of the so called hunting camp.

I will say being the so called El' Presidente of a camp of 9 dudes can be a royal pain at times. Especially when dealing with issues that go on beyond the hunting season at camp.

Only ever really one bad egg and it took several years to boot him. But also had guys who were there as a guest who have never been invited back. Had issues with one other person but usually an adult discussion gets things back on track so everyone is back to being groovy.

I will say I have had 1 person who has been in my camp now for maybe 6 or 7 years? JayG he is a sloppy mess in camp with his cargo full of gear spread everywhere but he is without a doubt the most phenomenal tracker I have ever seen. But when your a Ranger and they send you to South Africa for a year or so to learn to track blood you should be that good. So that makes up for stepping over all his stuff. Haaaa JayG has become one of my best friends he is 100% golden the reason for the dig.

SerbianShark was a camp member for 3 years before he moved to Colorado Springs. Hopefully he makes it back to camp for a hunt or two in the near future. He would always be welcome.

Been lucky to have some guest in camp from Bowsite and they all would be welcomed back at any time. Never once did I have a bad Bowsiter in camp.

Being good in camp for me is just sharing the responsibilities that go with having a camp. If I take you to my spot just do as I ask or go hunt the back 40 and do what you do.

• Sitka Gear