MoosePMed 15-Apr-17
UltimatePred 20-Apr-17
UltimatePred 20-Apr-17
UltimatePred 20-Apr-17
UltimatePred 20-Apr-17
wis. bowhunter 20-Apr-17
UltimatePred 21-Apr-17
22-Mar-17
Not sure if these decoys were out last year.. But has anyone try the Wind-Drifter Turkey Decoys out? How did they work? Pro's and con"s? Do they move to much in heavier wind? Thinking of getting a set for this coming spring. Also how about the gobbler stalker decoy, anyone try one? How did you like it, pro's and con's on that one.

I did use the cow elk decoy last fall and would not hunt with out one after see how it worked with elk, but know it turkey season.. >>>>>------------< Nope my broadhead is not backwards... :) Thanks Ed

22-Mar-17
Ed I too am interested in seeing the effectiveness of this decoy set. I am worried about a high wind set up but in lower to average wind they look amazing!

22-Mar-17
I am going to use a set of the Wind Drifter turkey decoys but also have available a couple of stationary decoys available if the wind blows too much. I will use my stationary jake and a prone hen and place the WD decs off to the side, with or without the WD jake. I really like the bobbing action of the feeding turkey decoys in a light wind. Off to the side, I did this using the WD goose decoys and was happy with the results. Any wind motion decoys are at the mercy of the wind so one has to be prepared to adjust for changing conditions.

22-Mar-17

I posted this earlier on another thread but it's very effective. This hen came in twice in an hour. If it's too windy either go home (turkey hunting is usually not good in windy conditions) or put a stick four inches on either side to keep it from going crazy. Something magical about movement.

23-Mar-17
I will be giving mine a try next week. Plan on using them with my avian X decoys. I can't imagine they would do well in high winds.

23-Mar-17
Wow! I would have never thought you could get a turkey decoy to move like that! I think I will have to do some further investigation! Thanks Ed.

23-Mar-17
I do like the concept and the way they move around makes the birds look at ease. To me a still bird is a alarmed bird. I get hangups and you can't just pick up the blind and move or move in like when hunting with a gun. I'm tired of tying a string on my decoys to give them some life likeness. My seasons don't start till about the end of April here in the Northeast. Hunting Pa, Ny for sure and if (big if) :),,,, I get tagged out early I have I couple of nice farms on the north shore of lake Ontairo to go to. You would be surprised on the number of birds there is up there now..

So I got like a month to see how they are working for guys.. Thanks everyone of the posts ED

23-Mar-17
I just bought them! I tested them in the yard just to see how they did on a windy day and they looked outstanding! Cant wait to use them in two weeks.

24-Mar-17
http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Remote-Strut-Stake-Gen2/product/1511091243/

USE THIS! Mount it to your existing decoy...an easy to use remote control will start and stop the decoy. Will not go in a full circle but close before it goes back the other direction. Works great on my DSD jake decoy. Good Luck....

30-Mar-17
Hey guys,

Luke with Ultimate Predator... Thanks for the interest! I'll tell you that in really heavy winds, they can get a little rambunctious. No doubt about it. But we also have multiple stories from folks who said that even though the decoys didn't necessarily look natural to them (people), the birds didn't seem to care at all.

I just got back from a trade show in SLC, UT and met a gentleman who is supposed to be sending in video of a hen attacking the dekes, and him shooting a gobbler.

Luke

11-Apr-17
Got to try the set of three Wind Drifter decoys out this past weekend for my daughters first turkey hunt. She has been hunting turkeys with me for years, but this was her first hunt. It was a shotgun hunt, so I won't post the pic.

We hiked in about a mile to our spot and got set up. I put the Wind Drifter decoys about 20 yards from our setup, which consisted of a small group of juniper trees with some added brush. We were next to a pond with an earthen dam. As soon as we were set, I made some soft yelps on my box call, and immediately got a response from about 200 yards. But only hens yelping back to me. They kept calling, and it was clear they were coming closer. As they came into view, I could see one large tom. The flock looked to be about 20 birds, with the large tom in full strut. But no gobbling. As they were already headed my way, I kept quiet to see if the decoys came into play. As the flock was about 100 yards off, a lone tom popped up on the top of the dam, about 50 yards away. He was looking straight at the decoys. Another tom came up right behind him and was locked onto the decoys. Both of the toms started to walk along the top of the dam towards us, which seemed to irritate the boss tom. He ran over and started a fight with one of the smaller toms, and kicked the smaller tom into the pond. I had told my daughter that once they reached a certain point on the dam, they were in range and she could shoot. But they sprinted right past this point and didn't stop until they reached the end of the dam, about 25 yards away. They seemed confused and started to walk away from us, down the far side of the dam. I was worried they were going to leave, so when the boss tom stopped for a moment, I told my daughter to shoot. At the shot, he dropped and flopped out of sight on the far side of the dam. The two other toms disappeared, but popped back up on the top of the dam, and milled around for a bit. I think if I had done some calling, they would have come back. We got up and went to find the tom. He had expired in the creek below the spillway and his fan was a bit frazzled. Turns out the birds were not walking away, but had encountered the spillway full of water and had started to walk down to where the spillway narrows so they could cross and make their way back up to the decoys. If I had not told her to shoot, I feel certain they would have come across and we would have had some exciting footage of them interacting with the decoys. Overall, I am impressed with the decoys. Light and easy to carry and setup. The wind this hunt was very light, so they were merely moving around with none of the "feeding" motion seen in higher winds. But the movement was enough to pull the three toms away from a flock of about 20 hens and caused them to fight when they had not been fighting at all prior to seeing the decoys. These decoys will see more action over the next several weeks.

11-Apr-17
Excellent write-up! Congrats to you and your daughter! C

Post the pic if you've got a good one of your daughter.

11-Apr-17
I just bought a set and a bag to carry them in. I can't use them yet but will be traveling to Virginia this week for 5 days of hunting, and then when I return home they will get plenty of use in NY and Ct. Can't wait!

11-Apr-17

AlleninNM's Link
Here is my daughter and her turkey. Hope for many more years of hunting together.

11-Apr-17
AlleninNM, that's AWESOME! Thank you for that excellent writeup! We're happy to hear that your daughter had some success with the Wind Drifters! Luke @ Ultimate Predator

11-Apr-17
Great write up...congrats!!

I just bought a set of three at Pope and Young.....that movement will be killer (in the right conditions)!!!

Mark

12-Apr-17
Mark Watkins, Thank you for your purchase! We certainly appreciate it. Good luck!

12-Apr-17

aboks's embedded Photo
aboks's embedded Photo
My 16 year old son Tony shot his Tom at 8 yards this morning with the Wind Drifter Decoys.

12-Apr-17
Nice!!! Just using the two feeding hens, or did you have others?

12-Apr-17
I had a third out there.. didn't make it into the photo

12-Apr-17
Hey guys,

First and foremost, I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has purchased our products. We GREATLY appreciate your business and wish you the best of luck this season. I also want to thank everyone for all of the interest in our Wind Drifters. We barely had them out for a couple of weeks of the season last year (which made me want to cry a little bit). Therefore, I have been dying to see what people would do with them this year. Just in the last 3 days, pictures and videos have started to flood in to us. I will shared a little Osceola video here in a few minutes.

I am by no means going to sit here and tell you they will make you successful every time, but when they do it is AMAZING! The number one question we get is about high winds.....justifiably so. There is no doubt there's a window in the wind speed that makes the Wind Drifters look killer. Then, there's a wind speed that most definitely makes them look like they're on crack.....lol.

Now, you can take this with a grain of salt considering I'm the one selling the decoys (ha), but I fully believe the hunters are more worried about their erratic movement in higher winds than the birds. I am basing this statement off of two things. 1- Customers' success stories and their experiences in high winds.

2 - My experience last year.

The very first day we received our shipment, I was bound and determined to hunt with our Wind Drifters even though it was SUPER windy. Even I was skeptical, because they did NOT look natural. I set 4 of the decoys up on the edge of a hill/ridge and was truly shocked that I had turkeys coming right up to the decoys to check them out.

One of the dudes walked up the line of the decoys within maybe 2-3 feet of each of them. Then, he walked back down the line before disappearing in the brush. Well, my legs were hurting from the position I was filming in so I decided to stretch after he left. Here's the craziest part. I thought he had disappeared for good. However, he was just feet below the ridge and probably only 12-15 feet from the Wind Drifters. That guy stayed there for 45 MINUTES watching the Wind Drifters. I was blown away.....no pun intended. I've NEVER had a turkey stay that interested for that long in a decoy. I don't know if he was try to build up the courage to ask one out on a date, wanted a shot of what his buddies were drinking, or what, but it was crazy! As soon as I get a chance, I'm going to try to dig through all of my footage and find at least the clip of him walking beside the spastic decoys. I'm pretty confident I can find that for you guys.

I am fully aware windy days may spook them away, but I can say without a doubt it doesn't always.

I'll leave you with this thought.......I treat my hunting products a lot like I do my toolbox. I have a lot of tools in my toolbox, and I most certainly do not use EVERY tool on EVERY job. I pick the best tool for that situation. We all know just how valuable the right tool is for the right job. There have been times when I have been ecstatic when I had the right tool and devastated when I left it at home.

Thanks again, Lance

12-Apr-17
Here's a few turkey hunts using the Ultimate Predator Wind Drifter Decoys. A special thanks to Jeff Budz of Tag It Worldwide for all of the killer footage!

Osceola Hunting over the Ultimate Predator Wind Drifter Decoys! from Lance Hallum on Vimeo.

12-Apr-17
Teeton, we couldn't agree with you more!

Aboks and AlleninNM, those stories are FANTASTIC! Thank you for sharing. We are so happy to hear your children had success with our product. The only thing that makes us happier here at Ultimate Predator than hearing about our customers having success is when we hear about youth having success!!

13-Apr-17
Teeton, we couldn't agree with you more!

Aboks and AlleninNM, those stories are FANTASTIC! Thank you for sharing. We are so happy to hear your children had success with our product. The only thing that makes us happier here at Ultimate Predator than hearing about our customers having success is when we hear about youth having success!!

14-Apr-17
I hate to be the one to "ruin someone else parade" but I'm very frustrated with my Wind Drifter decoys. Yesterday, on 3 different occasions I had big Toms split when they got within bow range of my 3 Drifters in "breezy" conditions. The Drifters looked like they were dancing a jig; jumping up and down and completely out of control. I've hunted turkeys for 40 years and never have I seen turkeys split as fast as they did. Very frustrating for sure. I may give the Drifters another try but only if the wind is 5-7 mph and that is rare here in Nebraska. I guess I can use the Drifters to scare away undesirable birds in my back yard.

15-Apr-17
Windwalker, I'm sorry to hear about that... At the end of the day, you're dealing with living, breathing animals... They won't always react the exact same way. I'll be the first to tell you that they won't work every time. No decoy, no camo, no scent does. If you'll look at Lance's post a few up, you'll see that even when you have Crack-Decoys, they don't always bolt out. We've had several customers say the exact opposite, that even though the birds looked like they'd drank too much coffee and did a few lines, the birds didn't seem to care and still ended up dead. We certainly hope that you'll give them a bit more of a chance before they're relegated to lawn decorations! LOL.

20-Apr-17
As promised, here is the video of the very first day I ever hunted with the Wind Drifters. It was super windy. I especially like the spastic turkey that's the 3rd from the left. She looks like she's riding a bucking bronco....lol. Again, the really neat part of this experience was how the bird hung below the decoys for 45 minutes.

20-Apr-17

20-Apr-17
I did not realize the discussion with Windwalker was on two different posts. Some of you might like to know what my response was. Here is what I said on a different thread. All has been resolved.

Windwalker, I am VERY sorry you had a bad experience a few days ago. I wish I had the secret to making a hunter successful every time they go out. I would be a billionaire....lol. What I can offer you is a refund. If you would like to return your Wind Drifters, I am more than happy to issue you a refund. At the end of the day, we are in this business to make hunters happy, not to leave a bad taste in their mouth.

20-Apr-17
Also, let me offer a few suggestions to everyone for reducing movement on those windy days. Paul@thefort, touch on a couple of key tactics. 1. Use your terrain as a wind block.

2. Use vegetation to restrict the rotation of the decoys. For instance, you can set the decoys up in grass that's a little bit taller.

3. Lean the stakes with the wind. That generally reduces the orbital rotation down from 360 degrees to about 90 degrees.

20-Apr-17
I used my winddrifter decoys weds. for the first time. The wind was about 10 mph which gave the decoys a lot of movement but not so much that they were bouncing. I had three hens come in to them and hang around for about 20 min. A little while after they left I had a Tom come in on my blind side strutting the whole way until I shot him. I had a dave smith jake and a hen out with 2 of the wind drifter hens and noticed that even though the paint job on the winddrifters was not as detailed as the dave smith decoys at 30 yards they didnt look all that much different and I think the movement is going to help convince a lot of birds to come in. One thing I did notice was a glare coming off of the bent wire that the decoy rides on and I sprayed the wire with black paint and that took the glare away. I don't know how these will work in really high wind gusts but the 9 to 10 mph that I hunted in seemed perfect for these decoys.

21-Apr-17
Wis.bowhunter, That's awesome! I'm so glad to hear you had a little fun/success with the Wind Drifters. I completely agree with your point about the paint. There is no doubt other decoys have us beat hands down. However, that was not the niche we were trying to attack. We think movement is key and has been overlooked for SO long. That's why I always tell customers, "If you have some Avian X's or Dave Smiths, just add the Wind Drifters in the spread to bring them alive, and you will have the best of both worlds."

• Sitka Gear