Scar Finga 27-Mar-17
NorCalVineyards 27-Mar-17
Scar Finga 27-Mar-17
NorCalVineyards 27-Mar-17
AZBUGLER 19-Apr-17
BULELK1 21-Apr-17
Bigdan 21-Apr-17
22-Mar-17
I started this post on the AZ forum, but I think it would be interesting to see what you all have and your thoughts.

How many points do you have for AZ archery deer, and are you going to apply for the Kaibab Archery Hunt?

I am an AZ resident, and I only have 5 points, I probably won't get drawn. Next year will be a point only year for deer and elk. I am going to burn over three weeks of vacation in Australia.

God Bless,

Scar.

22-Mar-17
Probably guaranteed to draw early archery 12 with 5 points. Ed F

22-Mar-17
I have 14 points, will apply for the Strip. I'm right on the border of having enough points. Considering my 0 for 5 on drawings in Arizona so far this year, that's right I was even rejected for Javelina..., I'm keeping a distant eye on a last minute Africa trip just in case! I agree, 5 points should get you drawn for Kaibab as a resident.

23-Mar-17
13A/B you needed 18-19 to draw last year in the bonus round. 12 you had a good chance with 4 and a lock with 5. 12 is creeping pretty hard nowadays - especially since they've cut tags the past couple years, which is a good thing.

23-Mar-17
I have 17 for deer and think I am still a few years away from drawing , still going to give it a try. Non resident to.

23-Mar-17
I had 9 but didn't realize you must keep buying points or lose them after 4 years of no activity (in that specie). So now I have 1 (hunter ed). I was buying a license every year and applying for other species but did not know I would lose those points. I mistakenly thought once I paid for them I would keep them as in other states. EVERY state is different. Good luck all.

23-Mar-17
I have 5 points, is 12 worth it ? Tom

23-Mar-17
I thought a nonresident could draw the Kaibab with only a couple of points and that the strip was the tag that you had to be max for. Was I mistaken or has things changed?

23-Mar-17
Bow, 12 has always had huge deer, it is just going to keep getting better with the limited tags. It's not a strip hunt, but it can be very very good!

NJ, Not sure if it changed this year, but I have a friend that drew with 0 as a NR two years ago. killed a nice 5x4 on day 4. Go for it, it can't hurt, except for the license fees.

Scar.

23-Mar-17
As Idy1 noted the point creep in 12 is getting noticeable; combination of fewer tags and the realization by a lot of folks that you will never catch up to 13's. I have a bunch of points, but no where near max, and I'm considering burning them in 12 this year if my August calendar stays open. If not this year then almost certainly in 2018.

23-Mar-17
I have 17, applying for a strip tag

23-Mar-17
25 plus required is my guess. I got 12 points.

23-Mar-17
Last year 12 people applied with 17-19 points in the most popular Strip unit. Out of that group, only 1 person drew a tag, and obviously had 19 points. I don't think that the new rule (that only 50% of available NR tags could go in the bonus round) had begun in time for that drawing, but I'm not positive. Currently, I believe that only 1 tag can go to a NR in the bonus round, and up to 1 additional tag in the random round, if they issue 25 tags.

24-Mar-17
I am sitting on my 16 total points for Az. deer and always do one of the 13's bow 1st choice and late date 12's 2nd choice......

Granted, I certainly am more of an Elk and Sheep guy than Mule deer but------I am 1/2 tempted to offer up for 2018 sharing my deer points with guys in the 2-3 point pool and doing the Kiabab bow buck with them..........maybe Scott and Ryan as he could hunt before his Fall schooling starts....

Good luck, Robb

24-Mar-17
Scoot Robb,

PM Sent

24-Mar-17
Draft Hunt Recommendations are available today online. 25 fewer tags this year. Not as big of a drop as previous years but still less. Getting better and better! Going to miss out this year, but it remains one of my favorite hunts. Good Luck to all applying!

25-Mar-17
Thank you Mark

Scott it would be in 2018 for me too.

Good luck, Robb

25-Mar-17
It's ridiculous. I've found a ranch in Mexico that is probably better. I have to pay for it, but waiting for 15 yrs. or whatever is expensive also. In more ways than one.

26-Mar-17
Years ago I drew one of the few non-res late Nov rifle East Kaibab tags with ZERO points.

26-Mar-17
What's the dates on 12 and 13? I did the early rifle hunt in 12 a few years ago and didn't see shit (literally there was no fresh scat). Best habitat I've ever seen with zero bucks or zero deer period. It didn't matter even at the tanks I got to - no tracks (well some cattle). That all changes big time when Utah starts getting weather and the bucks migrate back in, so hopefully you get the weather right.

27-Mar-17
I don't think a resident needed more than 10 points for a bonus round strip tag last year. I had less than 10 points, drew tag #5, for 13A. Per regs, 25 tags were to be issued, and where I went to school, 20% of 25 is 5.

27-Mar-17
williamtell , you must be talking about 12b. The archery tag is good for the whole mountain not just the winter range. As a nonresident I could draw Kaibab archery every other year with hunter safety and loyalty points. It looks like it might be every 5 years now unless I can swing a random tag.

27-Mar-17
Proposed dates are August 25th - Sept 14 for this year. They moved it back later in the month, I wish they would move it back to September like it used to be. Last year it opened on the 18th or 19th of August.

27-Mar-17
Did I miss something, was the original post about how many points to draw the KB early archery as a NR? I was wondering the same thing? I have 4 points.

27-Mar-17
Actually the original post was just a general question and yes it leaned more towards the early archery season... I am an AZ resident and the OP. Are you going to apply for the Kaibab, How many points do you have? I would say you have a great chance with 4 points... JMO.

Good Luck!

Scar.

27-Mar-17
I am a NR with 4 points

19-Apr-17
Trying to make this difficult decision myself. I saw a HUGE buck last year in an OTC unit I know well. Like high up in the books. But.... can I find him again? And the unit in general stinks for deer. So I have 5 points and can definitely draw Kaibab this year. I suppose I can draw it next year with 6 though.....

21-Apr-17
That is a good problem to have AZB...!!

Good luck, Robb

21-Apr-17
I have 10

• Sitka Gear