drycreek 23-Mar-17
PaWapiti 23-Mar-17
WV Mountaineer 23-Mar-17
theleo 24-Mar-17
ElkNut1 24-Mar-17
22-Mar-17

PaWapiti's embedded Photo
PaWapiti's embedded Photo
I just applied for my tags for this fall and I thought I would recap my 2016 hunt. It was my 9th archery elk hunt and my first taste of success. Me and my best friends usually hike or pack in to the wilderness and chase elk for the week. We have had lots of close encounters and one kill.

2016 was a special birthday year or me so I decided to try something different and book a guided hunt on a private ranch. We hunted the first week of the season so the tactics were much different than what I was used to. We spent the mornings in spot and stalk mode and evenings sitting stands by water and wallows. I passed a few cows early in the hunt and shot the first legal bull in range on the 3rd day. It was an amazing property and an awesome hunt. It seems like every year there is a decision I make that affects the outcome of my hunt. Although I was successful, last year was no different. I have the hunt on video and will try and submit it in another post.

22-Mar-17
Sweet! Nice bull!

22-Mar-17
Congrats on your success, and way to stick with it too! Good luck this fall as well.

22-Mar-17
Congrats on a nice bull! The first one is always special.

22-Mar-17
Thanks for sharing. congrats! They will come much easier now.

22-Mar-17
Congrats!!!! That's awesome!!!

Mark

22-Mar-17
I was really impressed with the property and the Outfitter/Guide. He was a great hunter, knew his ground and the habits of the elk. He had some great setups, ground blinds and tree stands. He was also great company and I learned a lot during our hunt.

On the third afternoon we hiked up a drainage to a double ladder stand that sat below a wallow at the base of the mountain. I had some initial reservations about the setup. First there was fresh bear sign everywhere including mud and tracks all over the seat of the stand. I also felt pretty exposed due to the stand only being 25 yards and at eye level to the wallow. Neither of these things mattered in the outcome of the hunt.

We were on stand for around an hour when we heard a few squeels and half hearted bugles from up the mountain. The elk were getting on their feet! It was a hot day and my guide was sure they would be going to water. I hoped it was the water we were sitting on.

It took a little while but I first heard a few twig snaps above us, I stood up, attached my release to the string and prepared for the rush of adrenaline. It was then I heard walking coming from behind the stand? I didn't dare turn around, but I assumed it was the stinkin bear coming back to blow my chance. As these thoughts ran through my head antlers attached to an elk came into view.

I counted points, 5 left 4 right, good enough for me! He seemed to look right through us. I didn't dare move, blink or breathe. My heart was pounding in my chest. He stared in the direction of where I heard the sound behind us for maybe 5 seconds but it seemed like 5 minutes. I had no idea how I was going to get my bow drawn. He then quartered hard away for a drink! I had my chance. The arrow came back and I settled the pin on his side using his offside leg as an aiming point. Auto pilot set in and the thousands of shots at my elk target at home paid off. The shot was perfect and he only ran 50yds up the mountain before tipping over. What I thought was a bear behind me ended up being 2 cows waiting their turn at the seep. I was stoked! It was then my guide whispered he had it all on film using his Iphone. It was only a few second after my bull dropped and again I heard elk coming down the mountain. I sure hope these links work.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/srpv5l5xj48s5sc/AAAvtUB3GU2jS6sVKVXNKx5fa/1_JacksElk.MOV.mov?dl=0

22-Mar-17
Grats. Nice shot.

22-Mar-17
Dang, it won't let me paste the link in the URL bar and it doesn't work in the post. Oh well, you will have to take my word it was cool.

As I stated in my first post something always happens during my elk hunts where a decision I make changes the outcome. In the past these decisions ended up being mistakes that kept me from getting an opportunity or filling my tag. I chalked those mistakes up to teachable moments and try to use them as I get better at this elk hunting obsession. 2016 taught me that shooting the first elk to the wallow may end up costing me a much bigger elk!

Within a minute of shooting my bull the herd bull and and about 12 of his cows and calves poured into that little seep and put on an amazing show. It was something I will never forget and am very grateful I got to experience it. Everyone asks if I regret shooting the little 4x5. Honestly I don't, not one bit. You never forget every detail of your first, and this first was fantastic in every way!

Here is the link for the herd bull and his ladies. If anyone knows how I can get these links to work please chime in.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/srpv5l5xj48s5sc/AABMPvWaKoFHq0VdDsQ-Vtcxa/2_ElkAfterKill.MOV.mov?dl=0

22-Mar-17
Well I figured out if you highlight the link in the post and right click you can go directly to the drop box site. If there is a better way it's beyond my PC abilities.

Thanks to all for your kind words and best of luck in your future hunts.

22-Mar-17
Congrats sir I am right there with you, I am 0-8. This year is my year and if not next year will be. I would be mighty proud of that elk!

23-Mar-17
How about a photo of your with your bull, after you tracked him and found him?

23-Mar-17
Way to keep trying and definitely a nice bull.

23-Mar-17
Very nice!

23-Mar-17
Good for you

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

23-Mar-17

orionsbrother's Link
This might work. Congratulations!

23-Mar-17
Congrats!

23-Mar-17
Congrats!

23-Mar-17
Congrats - that was a pretty cool video!

23-Mar-17
Nice work...Congrats!

Best of Luck, Jeff

23-Mar-17
Congrats!

23-Mar-17
Congrats on a great bull and successful hunt.

23-Mar-17
Congratulations on the Bull.

OB', Thanks for a really neat link.

23-Mar-17
Good stuff, love the video clip! Congrats on your bull sir!

ElkNut1

23-Mar-17
Way to keep trying and definitely a nice bull.

23-Mar-17
That was a video like none I've ever seen. Bull was not going to budge, the ladies were thirsty. Congrats - you are so correct, the first elk is awesome!

23-Mar-17
I can totally relate and I'm So happy for you! Missed two shots (clean misses - arrows recovered) last year at 2 different cows 5 days apart. These were my first shots at an Elk as I'm now 0-7 with my traditional bow. All my hunting has been public. I have taken 3 bulls (rifle) and 1 muzzy cow but the stick and string thing has been a tough road. My health has now become a major issue. I have applied for rifle hunts for the 1st time since 2006. I only hope to rehab enough to continue the quest for a bow kill next year. Well done Sir! Congrats on a fine 1st bow kill!

LaGriz

23-Mar-17
Just like your very first KISS. One you will always remember. Paul

23-Mar-17
Congrats Pa ! You definitely know the meaning of persistence ! Thanks to orionsbro for posting the link. Very cool video !

23-Mar-17
Orion thanks for fixing the Herd Bull link can you do the same with the kill video?

Thanks to all for your replies. Its tough to see but my arrow is buried in the bank behind the wallow as the big boy is rolling around.

Lagriz, the recovery photo of my 4x5 is at the top of the post. Not sure how you missed it.

Elknut, your audio CD "Worse than Wolves" has been with me in the truck for 8,000 miles traveling from PA to CO. Thank you! You have been a great help in accelerating my learning. So much knowledge to be gleaned from a lot of true experts on this site.

To all who are still scoreless, keep plugging. It WILL happen and it's so worth it when it does.

23-Mar-17
Good stuff right there. Congrats man. That second video made me think, "Got elk?". :^)

God Bless men

24-Mar-17
Congrats! Hunting wallows is probably my least favorite way to hunt elk but for putting meat on the ground it's about my most productive.

24-Mar-17
PaWapiti, thanks, good to hear the instruction had value for you. Good luck this season!

ElkNut1

• Sitka Gear