jordanathome 25-Mar-17
jims 25-Mar-17
WV Mountaineer 26-Mar-17
donnybowhunter 29-Apr-17
Pigsticker 29-Apr-17
carcus 30-Apr-17
WapitiBob 30-Apr-17
23-Mar-17
Do you guys wear base layers on a active September elk hunt? I know in places like Arizona and Southern NM it's not needed. What about Colorado and the Northern states when hunting above 9000'?

23-Mar-17
Most of the time it's just a Merino Shirt when walking, slip on the puffy vest when sitting. Cold wind, snow, or wet weather...add the Space Rain jacket.

I'll adjust the weight of the Merino Shirt according to the temps when I first head out in the morning. Those light, packable layers get me through anything Colorado can throw at me in September.

Best of Luck, Jeff

23-Mar-17
It has to be VERY cold for me to bust out base layer bottoms. I always have a base layer on my top. The only exception to the bottoms is when rain is imminent. I will then wear just a base layer bottom with rain pants.

So to answer your question...No on the bottoms, yes on the top.

23-Mar-17
elkmtngear x2. Wore a light weight First Lite baselayer top daily on a Sept goat hunt in BC. While walking it was perfect...stop, puffy and layers.

23-Mar-17
Depending on how far I will be hiking in the morning I may also start with merino bottoms. I have been using the kuiu zip offs and usually take them off around 10am, of course depending on the temps. Up top its usually a merino base and a 1/4 zip synthetic to get me through the day until I sit in the evening. The 1/4 zip is stretchy enough I put my puffy under it when I sit for quietness. So yes for CO and Wyoming I usually have a merino base layer on.

23-Mar-17
My base layers are always Merino wool. If it's warm, merino boxers, and merino t-shirt with additional layers in a pack.

23-Mar-17
I should have been more specific, most probably wear some sort of base layer shirt. I was thinking about bottoms. Anyone wear them while elk hunting?

23-Mar-17
I wear just a top as well. I do bring bottoms with also. I can only think of a couple times I actually wore them in September. The merino top I wear is a short sleeve as well. Over that it's a transverse top. On the cool mornings it's a soft shell on top of that.

23-Mar-17
RE Bottoms. Depends. Always wear merino underwear. Whether I add merino long johns is rare. If I know I am going to do some sitting/ambush/glassing and below 40, it is likely. If I am on the move, I doubt it.

23-Mar-17
Merino from blackovis.com and camofire.com are all I use.

23-Mar-17
I would never wear bottoms. Or rain pants. I can't stand to have my lower half sweat when I'm doing "elk aerobics".

Gaiters (for wet weather or snow) along with quick-drying fabric pants cover my lower half.

Best of Luck, Jeff

23-Mar-17
First Lite merino here as well. On those warm, early September mornings, my base layer's also my outer layer. ;-)

Like others, it has to be very cold for me to wear bottoms.

23-Mar-17
Merino base layers for me top and bottom. My upper body generates a lot more heat than my lower body so I'm more likely to take my top off and leave my bottoms on than vice versa...

24-Mar-17
I have found that I prefer synthetic base layers when it is warm and merino wool when it is cold. the synthetics, even though they can get a funk, dry out much quicker and lighter. I normally run Patagonia base legs and LS under armor for the first week and then merino the second and later weeks. UA boxer briefs 1st, merino boxer briefs 2nd and later. morning normally start off at 40-45 with highs 60-70.

24-Mar-17
I wear bottoms when it's cold, especially if I've found elk and know I won't just be doing a lot of hiking. You are a lucky person if any part of your body doesn't sweat on an elk hunt. I can wear shorts and no shirt and still sweat on an elk hunt. The key for me is try to limit the sweating and then be able to dry out decently when you stop moving.

25-Mar-17
Paradox (Google them for more info) makes some nice base layer long johns ($15 Canadian) and long-sleeve zip neck tees ($20 CA) that are a poly/merino blend and are anti-microbial. They work better than 100% merino for me........they dry out much faster, are nice and light, are very tough........never wore any out yet, moths don't eat them and they are about 1/5 the Cost(co) of merino. Only available in black or gray in the tops and black for the bottoms.

I wear the bottoms when it is below freezing, otherwise just merino boxers and Kuiu Attack pants. Top is almost always a Paradox zip neck long sleeve tee with either a Cabelas MicroTex regular or lightweight shirt over it as a minimum unless packing in, then just the Paradox unless raining. Note that I am talking about backpacking, spot and stalk sheep, moose, bears, caribou hunting etc......but would wear the same thing if I went back to hunt elk in CO. I use the same base stuff for tree stand hunting augmented with a lot more layers most days.

25-Mar-17
Under Armour base layer. When warmer, base 2 when cool mornings, base 3 and base 4 for cold weather. The compression fit i believe helps circulation too. My legs dont seem to get as tired when i wear it.

25-Mar-17
As said......Merino Wool

25-Mar-17
I often use Patagonia or Sitka bottoms. Patagonia comes in different thickness's. I try to go as light as possible when actively hiking. I often find myself putting on every layer in my pack when sitting in one spot for any period of time if it's wet, windy, and chilly. The most I wear on early season elk hunts would be base layer bottoms, Sitka 90's pants, and Sitka rain pants. The rain pants also work to cut wind.

26-Mar-17
Nope. It has to be cold and I have to be setting for a while to need base layers. On top or bottom. I use a microtex button up and a lightweight jacket of some sort. Gets me from 25 to 80. Microtex pants on the bottom. God Bless men

29-Apr-17
i never leave camp without wearing a base layer

29-Apr-17
It is nearly May and I am at barely 6k in Colorado and there is a 20MPH wind and hovering at 30 degrees. Considering September at 9k I would not consider taking off into the mountains on a backpack hunt without top and bottom base layers. I may get creative in how I would keep the weight down but I have seen it snow and hail in the Sacramento mountains at 8k so why would I not be prepared for worse a hundred fifty miles north and another thousand feet.

If truck camping you can always bust azz off the mountain at a minimum I would have a merino wool top in that situation.

As far as I am concerned merino wool is unequivocally the standard. I Have been wet and cold in every material there is and I will always go with wool.

30-Apr-17
I wear 100% merino wool lightweight base under a long sleeve t shirt, but thats here in Manitoba

30-Apr-17
I wore black base layer bottoms and short pants almost every day on my AZ Elk hunt.

• Sitka Gear