Destroyer350 04-Apr-17
LesWelch 04-Apr-17
jordanathome 04-Apr-17
Jaquomo 04-Apr-17
jordanathome 06-Apr-17
Jaquomo 06-Apr-17
25-Mar-17

jordanathome's Link
It has been since 2010 that I have had a chance to hang out with Aron Snyder, whom many here know as Elk Reaper. He and Brian Call (Gritty Bowmen) along with several other folks and sponsors organized a group hike on a trail above Red Rocks to the Cell Tower. It sucked. LOL Had a great time but I am destroyed. I now know how far I have to go to get ready for this fall in Unit 20.....I have alot of work ahead of me OTCWill! This darn trail starts steep and stays steep with only 3 or 4 relatively level sections. 1.7 miles with 2000' gain. I hate me.

25-Mar-17

jordanathome's embedded Photo
Pretty much like this all the way up....and down.
Pretty much like this all the way up....and down.
I believe they are going again next Saturday morning on the Fire Road on the other side of 470 from Red Rocks. Going to give away some pretty cool swag from their sponsors. :)

25-Mar-17

Denver in the background and another good example of how steep this was to hike.

25-Mar-17

Nice view from the top back to the West. Mt Evans I presume.
Nice view from the top back to the West. Mt Evans I presume.

25-Mar-17

The start......see. Steep. All. The. Way. I am curled up in a ball crying still.

25-Mar-17
What weight did they request/require in the packs for the hike? I've seen a few invites come around with 40-50# packs. Would love to get out for one!

25-Mar-17
Looks like a fun time. I'm envious.

For fun/training, I prefer to do more mileage and elevation with less wt. I think I get the same workout and get to see more stuff and spend more time in the sticks.

25-Mar-17
No requirement. Day pack. People did what made 'em happy. Same dealio next Sat. going up Green Mtn.

25-Mar-17
nm

25-Mar-17

Pics of the hike. About 70 more on FB on the Gritty Bowman feed/page.

Here is Aron taking a snow bath to cool down at the top......and my prodigious belly in the background.

25-Mar-17

At the top.....Aron close and I am back center in tan pants with the huge grey belly

25-Mar-17

25-Mar-17

25-Mar-17
Man, things have changed - I can show you photos of a guy with elk who was not into hikes at red rocks and shot some big elk in unit 20 when it was an otc tag, he's my dad. We hunted 39 when as a resident it took zero points to draw, I shot a cow after school, with my old Barnett, in 88, not far from where that photo was taken. Love the photos and wish you guys the best, miss the old days.

26-Mar-17
Aron is an animal, but I know better than to do that sort of hike with him this early in the season. You have some stones!

Did a mountain/pack hike-climb today with my 11 year old lab. She and I operate at about the same speed since we're about the same age, except I was carrying the heavy pack.. :-)

26-Mar-17
That was such a great hike Jordan! It kicked my butt and made me realize what I need to do before the end of August. I didn't realize you were there but would love to see some more Bowsiters out there. Maybe next time we can meet! If any other guys are interested they are going to have do another hike next Saturday. Dont worry about how much weight other people are packing - just get out and do it!

26-Mar-17
Good for you all.

Still lots of snow here in my mountain area.

Good luck, Robb

26-Mar-17
Hill of Dreams..." if it sucks, they will hike" PS I live at just over 70 feet above sea level, so going upstairs gives me a nosebleed...I'd have to come out at the end of August this year to acclimate for a hunt NEXT season

26-Mar-17
Lou......more stupid then stones. But it is good to set a benchmark to work from and this hike set a good one for me. Hope to see a bunch of bowsiters in the future.....I hope to make it next Saturday but will have to see since I work that afternoon. This hike put me down for the balance of the day yesterday but I am alot less sore than expected today. WIN! In 2010 I was 200 lbs......got 50 more than that now that need to go by August.

26-Mar-17
Would love to do this!

26-Mar-17
Saw it on Facebook I would have made it at the 10% part and been done

26-Mar-17
Sounds fun (kinda)

26-Mar-17
I will I could be there. Closest thing we have here is climbing steps or hiking a flood dike.

26-Mar-17
Nick we should fly out and spend a long week-end! Roundtrip is around $200. I usually make 2-3 trips per year. Always fun.

26-Mar-17
Aron looks like an animal. And, Chuck Liddell.

Looks like it was a good day for some good fun in the outdoors. God Bless men

27-Mar-17
Les, I'll be out there in July. Girlfriend might get pissed if I go play on the mountain on OUR vacation. :)

27-Mar-17
Load up a pack for her :)

27-Mar-17
I would likely have to load her in the pack. lol

27-Mar-17
You knew what Aron looks like before you went hiking with him, right?

27-Mar-17
SB Your question makes no sense. Yes, I started the thread saying its been since 2010 since we hung out together........ Oh....you mean he's a freakin' physical beast.....duh. LOL

28-Mar-17
Looks like a great get together! Good luck getting in "elk shape" Jordan! Hope you get a good one this year!

Just starting to thaw out up here a little and actually got the targets out - then got snowed on... Definitely need to start making some hikes.

29-Mar-17
They took a video of the hike and put it up on their YouTube channel.

It wouldnt let me attach a link so try to cut and paste. https://youtu.be/3Vu1KwrO1Jg

29-Mar-17

29-Mar-17
Thanks midwest

29-Mar-17
Next hike is this Sunday at 4pm. Meet at the Fire Road Lot. Take Alameda west over 470. Right at the T. Lot is another mile. Lots of parking. Freebies include a sitka hoodie, knives, kifaru swag, vortex swag, mtn ops supplements, Aron Snyder print, Gritty t-shirts, and a kifaru prototype pack! Hike is a loop up and down 4-6 miles total. Pack as you please. Must finish to qualify for free swag.

29-Mar-17
Unfortunately, I will probably not be back from a family trip to Iron Mtn Hot Springs in Glenwood Springs to make this hike....... :( No worries...I never win chit anyway.

04-Apr-17
Great seeing you, Jordan!

Sorry you couldn't make it on Sunday, but I hiked a little extra for you :)

Great meeting everyone else as well!

04-Apr-17

Aron@kifaru's embedded Photo

04-Apr-17

04-Apr-17

04-Apr-17

04-Apr-17

04-Apr-17
That's awesome. The gritty "cult" is growing! Goonies never say die haha! Great pictures guys.

04-Apr-17
Aron needs to keep posting more on this site. I remember back in the day he was a staple here..................You provide great content...............

04-Apr-17
The last 2 hikes were a blast. I think there was around 100+ people on Sunday. Can't wait for the next hike in a couple weeks!

04-Apr-17
Sivart that's easy to say.......but in reality not as easy to do.

04-Apr-17
Dude is busy and focused. I think it is inspiring to see what he set out to do, then did, regarding building his career in the outdoor industry. It is cool to have seen it happen over the years, including his time here on Bowsite. Thanks for posting up A-Ron!!!

Let us know the next hike so we can get a Bowsite contingent going.

04-Apr-17
With all the women and little kids there it looks like a Sunday afternoon church outing!

Good on you for organizing this, Little Buddy.. Wish it wasn't such a haul down there from my NoCo outpost, but I have my own mountains to climb. :-)

06-Apr-17
Little Buddy......LOL! Are you the Skipper? :)

06-Apr-17
Ha, thats a joke between me and Aron. :)

• Sitka Gear