midwest 26-Mar-17
Ken Taylor 26-Mar-17
greenmountain 26-Mar-17
Bill Obeid 26-Mar-17
Ambush 26-Mar-17
TD 26-Mar-17
Paul@thefort 26-Mar-17
25-Mar-17
How did you come across your hunting partners?? I've been a Midwest hunter all my life. Now that I started hunting out west I can't seem to find that one partner that's willing to put the time, effort and money to hunt out west chasing elk every year. Any suggestions or thoughts would greatly be appreciated! Until then I will continue to hunt them on my own. Thanks LuckyLeo

25-Mar-17
Want mine? Kidding. Kind of. Unless you find the right person, you might be better off on your own.

25-Mar-17
AMEN. I had hunting buddies back home who ventured out first than dragged me then our 4th into the fray. Like minds hunt best together. If you want to bivy out and the partner wants to truck camp.....you might as well be solo. Find common ground and build upon it.

25-Mar-17
I submit that it's harder finding a compatible hunting partner than it is a wife than can cook, clean, looks good, smells good and doesn't complain. And we all know how hard that is...

Individuals are just that, individuals..I've found guys that hunt hard and are good folks, but they don't have comparable schedules or finances. I've found guys that are compatible schedule wise, but are lazy, too old, too young, etc..guys that I can hang out with for a few hours drive me nuts after 7 days alone with them.

Unless I can clone myself, I guess I'm out of luck. That probably wouldn't work either, as I can't stand myself half the time. ;)

I don't mind sharing a base camp with good guys, but I prefer to hunt alone. I see it my way at least 80% of the time...

25-Mar-17
Every guy I know who had a bad hunting partner experience was convinced it was due to the other guy. Many times I knew both guys. As stated above, its like marriage or business. Finding a match can be hard and partnerships that last require compromise.

26-Mar-17
Most my hunts are solo. But I met my first western hunting buddy on Bowsite in 1997. I didn't even know what the internet was until then. None of my friends here in Indiana wanted to go, so I started applying to AZ & NV with him. We drew NV deer in 1997 and AZ elk in 2004. A few other hunts afterwards. Last week we drew the same AZ archery elk hunt we did 15 years earlier. I'm looking at the 340" bull I took during that hunt. Will be interesting to return.

I did get one buddy here to do a few NM hunts but then he had family obligations. Now have a few others I hunt with locally but they won't go west. So for out west it's still just the same Oregon guy.

26-Mar-17
I found the perfect wife on the second try. Gave up on hunting partners after 15 or so. Thankfully, didn't have to pay them to go away.

26-Mar-17
I hunt with lots of guys but only consider 2 of them my hunting partners. Having the luxury of living in elk country affords the opportunity to day hunt with guys. That gives you a lot of insight into what a longer time together will be like. Lots of the guys I hunt with I enjoy being around for a day hunt but we are not on the same page for anything more then that. That's what makes a good hunt with a good partner so special. With the commitment required to be successful at bowhunting having someone else on the same page as you is priceless. Not easy to find but they are out there. I think theres a lot of them hanging here on bowsite.

26-Mar-17
Met in first grade, been rockin ever since...

26-Mar-17
I hunt alone.

26-Mar-17
I wouldnt want to spend 14 hours in a truck and two weeks camping with me so I dont expect anybody else to do it either

26-Mar-17
"I found the perfect wife on the second try. Gave up on hunting partners after 15 or so. Thankfully, didn't have to pay them to go away. "

That made me chuckle. Thanks

26-Mar-17
I don't know your age, but I find that the older you get, the harder it is to find a good partner.

Some have died, some are not healthy, some are not in good shape, and some have lost a lot of enthusiasm.

I often/mostly go alone, or with my wife, or with buddies that are anywhere from twenty to fifty years old (I'm 64).

26-Mar-17
I hunt alone with great hunting partners. Yes we hunt alone and yes we are partners. Doug, David and I have shared a camp for almost twenty years and walked into the woods together for over forty years. We seem not to invade each other but we have all been known to push a deer toward each other. At night in camp I feel sharing the high points of a day afield is a pleasure that is far too uncommon.

26-Mar-17
Join your local chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. Meetings are a good place to see who is easy to get along with. There's always a few great guys that share your interests. No guarantees, but a starting point.

26-Mar-17
In this day and age I'm always very careful to say, ".....and my HUNTING partner, Adam....."

26-Mar-17
"I found the perfect wife on the second try. Gave up on hunting partners after 15 or so. Thankfully, didn't have to pay them to go away. "

Thanks x2. FWIW.....likely not funny at the time.... but made me chuckle.....

I forget where i read it.....paraphrased.... "next time..... I think I'll just meet a girl somewhere that I dislike and buy her a house..... would save everyone a bunch of time and drama in the end..."

The best hunting partners push you..... make you better, not give you a reason to quit or whine...... if you're the one whining.... then you might be the problem......

26-Mar-17
I had a good friend from Michigan that came out to elk hunt each year. He followed my advise and learned to be a good elk hunter. Well, that was until he started to bring along his girl friend who stayed in camp and really did not add anything to the camp environment. He then was late in the morning and for the afternoon hunt. He finely caught on when I started to leave without him.

• Sitka Gear