Treeline 20-Mar-18
Nick Muche 20-Mar-18
JTreeman 20-Mar-18
huntinelk 20-Mar-18
mountainman 20-Mar-18
INbowdude 20-Mar-18
wannaelk 22-Mar-18
26-Mar-17
I'm in the process of booking a water buffalo hunt with Caza Y Safaris in Argentina. I've read over everything that comes up under the bowsite search that I can find. Everything looks very positive about their operation. Does anybody have any information about hunts with them that aren't already on here? Any tips on traveling there, will be landing in Buenos Aires then taking a smaller plane closer to the hunting area. Other than the buffalo, are there any species that you consider must hunt for as long as I will be there?

Thanks,

Gene

26-Mar-17
Ducks, if you enjoy wing shooting.

26-Mar-17

Treeline's embedded Photo
Awesome! Hope you have a great hunt for those big buffs! They are really cool critters. Love the food and wine in Argentina and they typically treat you very well at the lodge. If you speak Spanish, you will do very well, but I would imagine they will have someone on that hunt that speaks English if you don't.

I talked to Caza y Safaris a couple of years ago when I was looking at a red stag/buffalo hunt. Went with another outfitter down there, though.

As far as other species to shoot when you are down there, I would want to shoot a capybara, white lipped peccary, and a brocket deer (the native species that you can't get in NA). I am not sure how those species are handled - pretty sure you still can not export native animals out of Argentina. You should check on that and make sure they are priced reasonably if you can not export them.

I had a nightmare trying to get my stag out of Argentina and finally gave up after almost 2 years - and I could speak to the export agent in Spanish. Many promises and no results. When they finally told me what I would have to pay just to get the cape and antlers shipped out (more than the cost of the hunt!) I told them to keep it. I was not pleased at all with the way that went. Make sure you have all your export requirements understood. Have heard a lot of hunters have significant problems getting trophies out of that country (or not at all). For all the hunting industry in Argentina, you would think that they could figure out the export issues.

26-Mar-17
Gene - I hunted with Caza Y last summer. Had a great time shooting birds and a few of us shot some big game as well. Saw lots of buffalo, stag, blackbuck, boar, etc. I would suggest spending some time in Buenos Aires. The food is amazing, lots of cool attractions, and many markets on the weekends.

26-Mar-17

Still upset that I could not get my stag out of the country. If I ever go for red stag again, I will make sure that I can get it home. New Zealand seems to have a better process in place. I am not sure how Chile is set up, but would guess it is similar to Argentina. Might end up being a high-fence hunt where I can take the whole animal.

26-Mar-17
I had much the same experience trying to get my trophies from Argentina, although I went with another outfit. It took me two years to finally get my capes and horns shipped to the USA. I had the same "string 'em along treatment" as Treeline had for over a year. Always just a few more weeks until shipment. I had a capybara in the shipment which was the hold up. I do not believe you will ever get one exported from Argentina and do not believe it would be worth it to even try, since it can really delay everything else. Same for any native species.

When I told them to ship everything but the capybara, along with a stern email to my outfitter about his reputation, the remainder of the shipment was sent after two years. I have had stuff sent from Namibia and South Africa over the years and the cost from Argentina was markedly steeper. Friends have said the same about their "shipping and handling" fees from there.

To add insult to injury, after paying through the nose to ship it, my water buff cape came back from the tannery with major hair slip and unusable. Those are difficult to find and expensive to replace. I have never mounted it and every time I look at the European mount, instead of fond memories, I cringe. For my part, I would not ever consider a return to Argentina. Offhand, I can't think of anything that they will export, that you can't hunt someplace else.

Sorry for the negativity, but that was my experience. Your results may vary. But, if you go, I would suggest you clear any concerns with your outfitter beforehand. And maybe use a hunting consultant. You may need all the help you can get later. International hunting is an adventure in its own right. Argentina may be just your kind.

26-Mar-17
Treeline, That is an awesome picture.

I have seen some other reports on exporting the native species being a problem. I will check into that further with the outfitter.

27-Mar-17

Here is another bull that did not want us on his mountain. Kept following us. Kind of spooky.

27-Mar-17
Another question, what month have you hunted Argentina and how was the weather?

27-Mar-17
I went in April and the weather was perfect.

28-Mar-17
April, on my spring break. Cool at night, warm during the day. Great time. Will go back.

25-Feb-18
For those that have hunted water buffalo. How do their senses compare to North American animals? What do you feel is their strongest and weakest sense?

Did you take any pesos or just use American cash and credit cards in Argentina?

Thanks

25-Feb-18
Those buffalo are pretty aware and they seemed to be watching us anytime we were near them. A bit aggressive at times as well. It was possible to get within 40 yards pretty reasonably. You will be in brush country with Caza so a bit different than open mountains where I was. You will want to have a good heavy arrow and solid broad head. They are very big and tough.

American dollars are very welcome anywhere in South America. More stable than any currency down there.

Good luck!

25-Feb-18

INbowdude's embedded Photo
INbowdude's embedded Photo
I hunted buffalo with Caza y Safaris in Santiago del Estero with Leo. He was great. The hunt was fun and I did get a nice buff. Not the biggest on the ranch but still nice. I used a bow set at 75 lbs and an arrow that weighed in around 900 grains. Not the best shot on the buffalo but that was on me. Fantastic outfit. PM me if you want to know more.

26-Feb-18
Pm sent

20-Mar-18

huntinelk's embedded Photo
I had a great trip with Caza Y Safaris. I ended up shooting a couple more animals in addition to the buffalo. I don't have any idea how the shipping of the animals to me is going to go, but the hunt was great.

20-Mar-18

20-Mar-18

20-Mar-18

20-Mar-18
Very nice Gene!

20-Mar-18
Awesome trip. A bucket list for me. Thanks for posting

20-Mar-18
Muy Bueno! Felicitaciones para una grande caza!

20-Mar-18
Nice work!

20-Mar-18
Looks pretty awesome, Argentina has been on my radar. Congrats on nice trip.

—jim

20-Mar-18
Treeline, here is what I say to that....muy poco Espanol...

Thanks for the compliments.

20-Mar-18
Great animals. I'm curious how the shipping goes. I am heading down there next year.

20-Mar-18
Atta boy!

22-Mar-18
Congrats. Looks like a great hunt. Pm sent

• Sitka Gear