flyingbrass 27-Mar-17
IdyllwildArcher 27-Mar-17
Smtn10PT 28-Mar-17
elkstabber 28-Mar-17
Treeline 28-Mar-17
26-Mar-17

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Cruising the draw odds for Wyoming 2017 elk. I came across this. Regular draw.

Another applicant cashed in 6 points in Unit 7 for antlerless (Type 4) when then are still 122 after zero point applicants. (Regular draw)

Application lesson 101. If have PP's and you want to hunt these units for a cow, apply for these unit/hunt types as your 2nd choice. Ouch!

26-Mar-17
Happens every year.

27-Mar-17
Wow! Colorado is similar unless I am miss reading there chart there are numerous cow tags going for ten plus points. double ouch

27-Mar-17
Oops wrong pic

27-Mar-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Here is one

Resident used 10PP for a cow tag that was available as a 2nd choice

27-Mar-17
I remember that one Brad.

Folks. When it comes to picking your unit/season/weapon choices, measure twice cut once. (Or check it 3 times!)

27-Mar-17
at least in Colorado he can return the tag and get his points back

27-Mar-17
I get anxiety just thinking about that kind of error. I just applied for a point in CO. Hope I didn't mess it up. I did notice they increased the amount of money they hold until June though. That's frustrating.

27-Mar-17
Last year in CO a resident burned 19 points to draw a zero point unit with the lowest archery success rate in the state. Twenty others used between 5 - 11 points to draw the same unit....

27-Mar-17
Maybe they knew something Lou....

27-Mar-17
They'd better have known something the rest of the hunters in the unit didn't, and haven't. Historically it's pretty much the toughest elk bowhunting unit as far as difficulty and low elk numbers, made even worse now by all the fallen beetle kill. My game warden friend told me he didn't check a single elk in an archery camp all season, except for an illegal spike.

The guy with 19 would have been in the draw pool for Unit 2 this year. Even if he realized he made a mistake and got his points back, he's now 1.5 points behind in the creep race.

27-Mar-17
Don't be a "Fool" do your own apps! Nobody cares as much as you care about your hunting. Everyone makes mistakes but I will make fewer mistakes on my AZ elk apps than a hunting application service will make.

27-Mar-17
I triple check AZ. I've checked it a 3rd time and noticed that I'd put in for a cow tag.

28-Mar-17
This will be me when I spend 11 on a 5 point unit for mule deer. At least I know it going in.

28-Mar-17
So maybe I should quit drinking and applying?

28-Mar-17
Colorado has big mule deer in a lot of units that do not take many points (even in units that have leftover tags!). The only downside to accumulating more points than necessary to draw a particular tag is that you may have missed some opportunity by building up the points. It definitely opens more options with more points, though. Since it is my backyard, I try to draw on 2nd-4th choice to get a point and a tag. When I decide where to burn my points, I will likely have more than I need for the tag but in the meantime, I have had the opportunity to hunt every year.

• Sitka Gear