Browning bull 1000 external frame pack
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
Geno 28-Mar-17
ElkNut1 28-Mar-17
Glunt@work 28-Mar-17
Geno 29-Mar-17
28-Mar-17
Has anyone used this pack frame? Pros or cons....... I can't seem to find any reviews on it anywhere online.

28-Mar-17

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
Geno, I checked out your mentioned pack & it's similar to the Kelty Hauler frame pack. I've packed a few elk out with it over the years & still have 3 of them. Haven't been used in years by me! (grin) All in all it will haul fairly heavy loads in the 100# range. It doesn't have load lifters to remove some of the pinch on your shoulders you will get from the shoulder straps. As long as you're a good sufferer & don't mind some shoulder discomfort under heavier loads the pack will be fine!

Here's the Kelty Hauler with a load of elk meat on it, it's on the left!

ElkNut1

28-Mar-17
Looks like a decent one if you are into external frames. I saw the ALPs freighter frame is $80 at Sportsmans Guide. I used an external for years to haul meat and it did the job but I use an old Mountainsmith internal frame pack now. It is much more comfortable and carries nicer. Its also good for regular backpacking and carries my blind and decoys during turkey season. A full bone-in rear elk quarter will just slide in the main compartment. Boned out meat in game bags works better and I can load more than I want to carry. I still have the external around for others to use and for packing a tree stand and ladder sticks in somewhere.

29-Mar-17
Thanks for the input guys. I could have gotten this frame for like 45 bucks but I missed the deadline. I have an old kelty backpack that I used in 2014 to pack out all our deboned meat, I'll probably just end up using it again this year.

• Sitka Gear