Trial153 29-Mar-17
Mark Watkins 29-Mar-17
huntabsarokee 29-Mar-17
smarba 29-Mar-17
Kevin™ 29-Mar-17
highmarkX 29-Mar-17
Don K 29-Mar-17
28-Mar-17
I am looking at the Explorer + and wonder what level of detail that the weather forecasts give. Also what is the basis for the forecast like National Weather Service? Thanks

28-Mar-17
I don't know where they get the info, but in my limited experience it was reasonably accurate, and some of that was on the north slope of Alaska. My recollection was that it is broken down into 4-6 hr increments; temperature, wind, clouds, precip, for about 4 days into the future.

28-Mar-17
I used it last year in MT and as stated the weather forecast was good. I could update it when I wanted and it worked well

28-Mar-17
How much extra is the weather forecast subscription?

28-Mar-17
The weather is included in your subscription, BUT each forecast costs a message. So depending on what package you have and how much you use will determine cost.

I had the unlimited package for a month and didn't have to worry about how many messages, or forecasts I used.

28-Mar-17
Don, what is the "average" monthly cost to use the Inreach? I have the spot messenger but it is very limited in function and have to pay $150 per year to use it and not just by the month charge. Paul

28-Mar-17
The barebones "Safety plan" is about $13/month with taxes, which gives you 10 messages/month, after that they are 50 cents apiece. You can also get a "Freedom" plan which allows you to suspend service, and resume when needed, without penalty. That one at the cheapest level is about $16/month (plus $25/year). But if only use it a few months out of the year it that's the way to go. Overall it is way better than a Spot, unless you don't want 2-way communication for a reason. Just Google Delorme inReach Plans, bowsite didn't like the link I tried to include.

28-Mar-17
My invoice last week was $15.83 for the base plan with no extra text charges.

In the fall I switch to unlimited so I can get updated weather and communicate as needed.

Last fall I used my unit in Colorado Alaska Nebraska and Wyoming to get the weather and it was always spot on.

It's a great tool

29-Mar-17
Here's the link Paul where you can see the plans. I use the freedom plan and pay the 25 a year, then activate it for the months that I use it. I have been going with the expedition for 1 to two months and that gives me unlimited messages and weather. So for me its 25 a year, then 65 for each month I use it with unlimited messages.

Now if you are out and about all year like Brad is, then you may want to keep it active on the base plan and have it with when you are fishing, snowmobiling, hunting and in your truck for communication.

One thing that is nice is you can always up the plan for a month and then take it back down, or suspend it depending on what way you go.

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

29-Mar-17
There are also some little tricks to use when you set up your 'pre-set' messages at home so save on text usage.

For instance, this is an example 'pre-set' text to your wife... "Hi. Checking in. All ok. No need to reply"

Also, let your wife/gf/kids know that if or when then need to communicate with you, to use all 240 characters allowed in the message. That way you're both getting the most of each txt.

As far as battery life, my testing showed about 12% battery loss per day as the unit was on standby. Thats a weeks worth easy.

Like I mentioned, the weather feature is great. Mine didnt come with it, but when they released an update it came thru when I synced. It gives a 72 forecast with 6hr intervals

Some guys like the bluetooth feature. Thats where you can use your smart phone to text instead of the InReach. Much faster, easier.

Last fall, when hunting in Colorado with a buddy, it was great when we split up to hunt, he went 10+ miles away to hunt and touching base with other to rendezvous after the hunt was a huge time saver.

For those that dont like/want to have any communication during their hunt, the best solution is pretty easy when having an InReach....

Turn it off

29-Mar-17
In reach is pretty much a must have for me at this point. The weather forecasts are minimal in detail, but all in all good enough and better then nothing. Coupled with my iPhone as a goes and camera and my in reach for communication and emergencies I am good to go...

29-Mar-17
Definitely use Bluetooth on your smartphone to pair to the Earthmate software.....as easy as Everyday texting.

Battery life (on standby) is incredible and can last 10 days. Managing battery life on your smart phone is a bit more challenging but not unreasonable. Keep your "brightness" in your settings as low as possible and keep all unnecessary apps closed. Also, keep your phone in your pocket to keep it warm (sleeping bag at night) and retain battery's full potential. I bring one extra battery on 10-14 day backcountry trips and works great.

Have not used the weather (yet), but have heard similar great comments as those posted above.

An incredible device for sure!

Mark

29-Mar-17
I purchased 1 for this past fall and the weather report was very accurate in the wilderness of Wyoming. I had the unlimited text plan for the month so we would check on the weather every day. I was really impressed with the Inreach. There were times I would leave it outside the tent and text from my phone laying on my cot to check on the kids. For someone with a family definitely worth the cost.

29-Mar-17
Additional tricks to build on cnelk's input:

You can easily get creative with the free messages. You get (3) unique pre-programmed messages that you can send as many times as you want for free. You need to program them in advance from home on computer, so they can't be changed in the field.

My first message is "Location check, everything OK. If sent REPEATEDLY I'm camping here"

I have another one "Elk spotted from here. If sent REPEATEDLY stalk is possible"

By getting creative you can double your free messages and pretty much cover the gamit of general things to relay to family or friends. But they better be GOOD friends, unless you have your location setting turned off LOL!

Carl

29-Mar-17
With Garmin buying them out I would have to believe there's going to be some new product getting the shelves then next year or two that would improve on the in reach

29-Mar-17
I use the freedom plan and pay the $25 a year, then during September - December I go with the expedition so I have unlimited messages and weather. $25 annual fee, $65 for 4 months then $15 for each month for the remaining 8 months. I leave mine activated for when I am out horn hunting, fishing or scouting with the limited messaging plan. Also up here in Northwest Montana we have some stretches of highway that have no cell service for a couple of hours, so I always throw it in my pickup while I am traveling just in case I run into an emergency and need to get help. Last year in the breaks I used the weather feature every day and it was as accurate as a weather forecast can be. But it did give us a heads up that the rain was coming so we could get out while we could and move to a better access road.

29-Mar-17
Another thing I really enjoyed last year was the Earthmate software on my phone. I installed the topo and aerial maps and it was very valuable when I was out and about.

IMO, Spot better come up with something better or they will be left in the dust.

• Sitka Gear