MK111 01-Aug-17
Stressless 03-Aug-17
Stressless 26-Aug-17
Stressless 11-Sep-17
drycreek 11-Sep-17
28-Mar-17

Stressless's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

Established September 2016 with annual cereal grains and clover Alfalfa mix. Put in Frost seed Alfalfa Clover chicory mix late February looking at what type of maintenance recommended. 100 acres Woods ponds 4 Acres in six plots. Thanks for any advice haven't seen any Alfalfa clover chicory food plots in the Forum so think I might have screwed up LOL.

28-Mar-17

28-Mar-17

All the plots look like this, ph and fertilizer is right on.

28-Mar-17

28-Mar-17

29-Mar-17
Shoot a bunch of those turkeys

Keep it mowed (Before weeds head out, or at full bloom if clean). I mow half when required, then come back a week later to do the other half

Mow now lower than 6". Do not mow when dormant

Ensure base saturation K stays above 4% , best at 6% for clover forage

Spray any grass weeds with Cleth (Arrow) when very small

This mix has been the best /most consistant draw of any during SEP - DEC hunting season

29-Mar-17

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Early alfalfa before the red clover took over. 40 days after germination and after mowing and spraying 2-4DB.
Early alfalfa before the red clover took over. 40 days after germination and after mowing and spraying 2-4DB.
Same plot in October. Very little trace of the Alfalfa left. The deer selectively browsed it and the red clover exploded. Pretty decent red-clover plot however....
Same plot in October. Very little trace of the Alfalfa left. The deer selectively browsed it and the red clover exploded. Pretty decent red-clover plot however....
I did a 80/20 mix of alfalfa/red clover. Started out great, then the red clover took over the field. Just remember that the ratios may not stay where you want them to. I am going to see if it stays this way and if yes, burn it down and replant with a 95/5 ratio or less.

Alfala is always my top spring draw above all others.

29-Mar-17
I planted an alfalfa/clover/chickory mix last year. Mowing kept the weeds out but the chicory didn't like the mowing either. Also sprayed the plot with a generic for slay called "thunder" and sprayed clethodim. Although I do think spraying helped during the dry summer months when I didn't want to mow I think the mowing helped the most. The alfalfa and clover are both coming back strong! Good luck with your plot!

29-Mar-17
Thanks guys, Pat how is that plot in your picture?

30-Mar-17
Not trying to step on your thread Stressless. I think that Pat's plot is Plot 9 in the 2017 seed review.

I will be planting an alfalfa chicory + mix, High and Dry from Grandpa Ray's this spring.

I have planted chicory with Durana clover in a couple plots. The chicory had come up and was hit pretty hard last year.

Nice observation on alfalfa, clover and chicory. Maybe we can get some opinions.

30-Mar-17

Stressless, I'm not sure what you are asking me? If it's how did it perform the answer is excellent. But after the alfalfa got wiped out the utilization dropped way off. But within a quarter mile of this plot I have soybeans, ladino clover, durana clover, and a hay field overseeded with red clover. So there was very little diversity value in the field. But during the explosive alfalfa growth, the results were incredible and until my soybeans were a month old the alfalfa was the #1 draw. I love alfalfa - but it definitely is high maintenance.

My results with Chicory have been mixed and I've cut way back. First, I've had terrible results with WINA brand chicory. They rarely touched it until all else was consumed. I had better luck with Commander and Six-Point Chicory but its way down the list behind clover. So I'm cutting it back a lot.

30-Mar-17
Hi Bob, I saw the plots and they looked familiar so I check who it was. This is your neighbor. There sure are a lot of turkeys in the area. I am going walleye fishing tomorrow and hope to have fresh fish for turkey season. I am planning on hunting the first week of season. I can bring some fish and single malt. Your plots look good. Cliff

30-Mar-17
Pat, a couple of thoughts for you to ponder. For a full season blend with alfalfa, ladino clover might perform much better than red clover in the summer months, especially if the weather is hot. Ladino clover does not lignify like red clover and alfalfa, this makes it much more palatable in the summer heat. Secondly, I would not underestimate the benefits of chicory in a food plot blend. One of the biggest benefits of chicory is its ability to bring minerals to the deer. I run a small grassfed beef farm and my pastures have chicory blended into them, it has reduced the mineral supplements I feed by a tremendous amount. I don't think we always recognize the total benefits of individual plants in a mix, nor do I believe that we reap the full benefits of most plants when they are planted in a single species plot.

31-Mar-17
Purchased alfalfa this year and plan on putting in a couple of acre plots based on Pat's success. Now if I could just get Pat to plant it for me....

10-Apr-17
So fellas what I was wondering 1) is there is a herbicide that will work on a Red/White clover, Alfalfa, and Chicory mix plot? 2) If not then a mowing schedule to keep the weeds at bay?

Twanger - Howdy partner! I plan to bring some of the wild boar I got this winter and it definitely goes well with single malt. If you get lucky fishing I'll wip up that Walleye Marsala again. I will be there the first week as well.

10-Apr-17

Dennis Razza's embedded Photo
Dennis Razza's embedded Photo
Here is early stages of plot I planted 3 yrs ago. Like Pat, the clover took over. One mistake I made... I waited to long to mow and lost all my chicory. It seemed like it was to mature and never grew after I mowed it. Hoping the the roots will produce new chicory this year. Good luck!

10-Apr-17
Stressless, I have a lot of grass in my clover plots and need to spray them. Looking to do that in May. If your plots need to be sprayed let me know.

18-May-17

OK, looks like a spot spray of Clethodim 26.4% Herbicide for the plots with Clover (red/white mix), chicory, and alfalfa to knock back grasses, as well as regular mowing. This is what it looks like late Apr. Will spray in mid-June after mowing. Thanks for the input and advice, new to the plot kabuki dance - just learning the steps.

18-May-17
My experience with cleth is the sooner, the better. It takes a while to work and mature grasses don't die easily. Yours looks like it needs to be sprayed pronto.

18-May-17
Is it better to plant the alfalfa in the spring or fall Lewis

18-May-17
Drycreek - the stems you see are the nursery crop of cereal rye and oats from last fall. I jsut established the plots in Sep '16 those oats and rye they will die off in the next few weeks and make some mulch for the somewhat poor soil in the plots.

05-Jul-17

Didn't use any spray just cut it twice and it still has chicory Alfalfa and Hearty clover.

06-Jul-17
Looks great!

06-Jul-17
So many people don't realize that many of the broadleaves in your new food plots are annuals. If you clip them, they might regrow but the 2nd time you clip them they pretty much are gone. How do you think organic farmers make a living without the use of chemicals?

A firm seed bed that allows your perennials to germinate fast, getting ahead of weed canopy is essential.

06-Jul-17
Has to be vastly superior for promoting good soil health.

24-Jul-17

This is the field Sep 10, 2016 at in initial planting, the neighbor organic farmer that disc'd it did it three times over the summer to kill all native grasses / veg - not a drop of herbicide on it to date.

24-Jul-17

Same field in June with the cover crop of cereal rye and oats up, we cut the grains after seeding (as you can see) to provide a straw mulch and to put the grains where the poults and other critters could get at them.

25-Jul-17
How short do you all cut the clover chicory plots? I cut mine about 3 weeks ago with my brush hog up about 8-10" but afterwards thought I should have cut shorter. I think I could mow again this weekend with all the rain we have gotten.

Thanks, Bill

25-Jul-17
Cut it 7 inches high roughly but it was the first cutting actor the cover crop went down so we felt it could take it and it's responded very favorably. Note that there is chicory and Alfalfa in it as well.

26-Jul-17
Best time to plant alfalfa spring or fall Lewis

27-Jul-17

Lewis based on my limited experience Plant in early fall with a nursery crop of annual rye and oats, frost seed it in Feb - if you have woods near - blow the leaves before frost seeding for best seed/soil contact...

29-Jul-17
Thanks yes leaves can be a problem Lewis

30-Jul-17
Stressless, I can see that grain now that I look at it again. I'm gonna try that myself in about a month. I'm planting Granpa Ray's Mass Builder on a 3/4 acre plot and using wheat as a nurse crop. Hoping to get something in there that the deer can't outrun.

30-Jul-17

Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Rob in VT's embedded Photo
New clover/chicory plot planted mid June.

01-Aug-17

Good stuff, Rob-VT - glad it came in thru summer. The clover here in Ohio is fading some in the heat but the alfalfa and chicory is doing well. All are producing good root systems helping push N back into some poorish soils. Here the utilization, chicory is getting beat!

01-Aug-17
Stressless where about in Ohio are you? I'm SW Ohio. Your plot looks great.

Will mowing thistles before seeding get rid of them. I got thistles with some seed I planted. Never had them before.

03-Aug-17
I'm South of Millersberg, Coshocton county. Def mow before they go to seed, also make sure your soil samples are up to date and follow the agronomists advice for your plots. Also Ohio DNR has a Private Lands Biologist program where they will come out to your farm and review your management plans for the entire farm, ponds, woodlands, food plots... for free.

26-Aug-17

Things that go bump on your cell phone..... on the back plot, sweet dreams

27-Aug-17
Nice!

11-Sep-17

Very happy with 6-7 of the 8 plots I put in last fall, got this pic almost to the day a year since I plowed the ground to establish the plots. The tire marks are the winter wheat overseed, 11-52-0 and 0-0-60 fertilizer I put on three hours earlier then this pic.

11-Sep-17
Looking good !

• Sitka Gear