willliamtell 30-Mar-17
sticksender 30-Mar-17
Paul@thefort 30-Mar-17
Twanger 30-Mar-17
Treeline 30-Mar-17
Aluminum Rain 30-Mar-17
Treeline 30-Mar-17
30-Mar-17
For those of you applying for big game hunts or hostage points in Colorado, if you want your points and have not yet purchased your 2017 fishing license, the deadline is tomorrow, Friday 3/31 I believe. Otherwise you are subjected to the fee/point deal. Not looking it up to confirm too busy. Don't forget the $5 for an extra rod, but taking one rod to the shorts for a permit I will not use is enough for me.

30-Mar-17
What points do you get with a fishing license?

30-Mar-17
Thanks for the reminder, my son & I need to get our's today because we didn't hold a CO big game license last year, for the first time in a while.

Yooper it just saves NR's a few bucks on the total PP fees.

30-Mar-17
Doesn't it have to be the previous year license? I thought to beat the points fees for 2017, you had to have a 2016 license? I always buy the Small Game license. $56.00

30-Mar-17
Right you have to get the 2016 annual license if you didn't have one last year. Fishing Annual or Small Game, either one is 56.00. Just bought ours and they will be valid for one day..lol.

30-Mar-17
I'm not sure if I understand what you are saying...

You're spending $56 on a fishing license that you won't use to save you what fee...???

30-Mar-17
The fee is $40 per species

See bottom of page 2 of the Regs under 'Preference Point Fees'

30-Mar-17
If you didn't have a fishing, small game or big game license from 2016, when you put in for points, they will charge you an additional $40 per species for elk, deer, pronghorn and bear.

There is something about the $40 not applying if you actually receive a license thru the draw, but not sure if that would just be for the one species you draw or for all of them.

Next year, the system will be changing to 100% on-line. Not sure to what extent, but will likely require everyone to purchase a Hunting License for 2018 and then put in for permits like we do in most of the other western states. It sounds like they are going to structure it so that you won't have to put up the full license fees, just the application fee and then they will charge your CC if you draw. Should be easier on the pocket book than the current system and CPW will make more $$.

Should cut a huge expense out of the CPW budget to cut checks for all the unsuccessful or preference point only applications and they will make more money by making everyone that applies buy a hunting license.

30-Mar-17
Scenario:

2017 will be your first application. Since you didnt apply/get a license in 2016 you will be charged $40 per species you apply for [$30 RES]

If youre only going for one species in 2017, you would be best to get charged the $40 instead of buying an annual fishing license. But ONLY if you didnt apply and get a license in 2016

At least thats how I understand it

30-Mar-17
Ahh, I understand now.

Like cnelk said, if you were only buying the elk point it would be cheaper to pay the fee rather than buy the fishing license.

Either way, I had an elk license last year so I don't have to worry.

Tavis, in 2018 will we also have to buy the license if we are only buying a preference point or will we only have to buy the license if we are applying for a tag?

30-Mar-17
AAAAAAAAAHHHH! (whimper) I am getting so tired of evil add-on fees. Sort of like the phone company or an airline ticket, except it's double digit.

Ok, I am calmer now. Where do I pay?

30-Mar-17
Treeline where did you get the info on the possible details of the 2018 system? Is there a proposal posted somewhere on-line? Thanks.

30-Mar-17
If the new fees go through the Legislature for 2018, for residents, the increase may be be up to a 60% increase per license. Not sure if it will happen all at once or spread over a few years. Also a cost of living increase might be factored in, per year. Also, for all applicants, res or non res, there will be a $20 app fee charge for draw licenses, compared to the $3 fee charged now. The $20 charge will bring the administration cost to where the CPW will not lose money every time they process the licenses and return fees. According to CPW polling, the majority of hunters support the fee increase.

30-Mar-17
Thanks for the heads-up. I just bought a small game license that expires tomorrow.

30-Mar-17
That was the scenario brought up at several Sportsman's Roundtable meetings that I went to.

Knowing Colorado, it will probably be what Paul said and they will still cry that they are losing money when they could save tons of money by not dealing with mailing out refunds! Also, they would gain significant revenue without having to deal with the hassle of mailing refunds if they charged for a straight up hunting license fee - even if it was only $50 for resident and non-resident for everyone applying rather than an increase in the application fee for every species.

You would think that they would review the processes in other states, learn from them, and utilize the most efficient methods for our application process.

Same could be said for Colorado's hunting season structure... Overlap of modern weapons and muzzle loaders during archery seasons... Methodology for estimating game animal populations and utilizing that information to determine tag allocations... etc., etc.

We as hunters and fishermen have and will continue to foot the bill for wildlife in North America. I am OK with increasing fees, if the increases are justifiable and our public service providers do not waste money.

There is still a significant amount of waste and inefficiency in CPW. Just spend a little time wandering around the main office and look at what the employees are doing and then look at the number of vehicles in the parking lot. Not to mention the massive expenditures to remove non-native fish (and leave no sport fishery afterward) that hunters and fishermen are funding. Heck, hunters have to beg the CPW to allow feeding during bad winters even if the hay is being donated by organizations or private individuals! Otherwise, they threatened to write citations to anyone caught feeding the animals if it was not approved! Pretty much the issue with any governmental agency that gets to spend other people's money though...

Would love to see some fees generated by the "non-consumptive" users - backpackers, bicyclers, kayakers, rafters, tubers, backcountry races, etc, etc. that have become so prevalent all over Colorado. Really annoying when the "non-consumptive" users blow all the animals out of a basin letting their dogs run wild (sucks even worse when it is during a sheep hunt that took 20+ years to draw!) or getting yelled at and threatened by total A-Holes as you and your son are packing an elk out down the trail. I am paying for the privilege to be there and they are not.

Sorry to get wound up. It is a sore subject.

30-Mar-17
If i had a 5 day non res fishing license last august for $25 can I upgrade it to a $56 full license for the difference?

30-Mar-17
Sorry AR, doesn't count and they won't upgrade for the difference.

• Sitka Gear