bbates 01-Jun-17
huntinelk 05-Sep-19
kota-man 05-Sep-19
Nick Muche 05-Sep-19
HUNT MAN 05-Sep-19
Mark Watkins 05-Sep-19
DEMO-Bowhunter 05-Sep-19
30-Mar-17
I am booking a moose hunt with Sikanni River Outfitters for 2019. They have all dates available. For those that have hunted with them or in that area what would you recommend for the best possible bowhunting dates?

Anybody have any stories to share from your hunt with Sikanni River?

Thanks,

Gene

30-Mar-17
I would be looking for September 25th, the rut typically is in full swing up north by then.

31-Mar-17
Gene: I am supposed to be up there this year around the 23rd.

31-Mar-17
Not sure where Sikanni is located exactly, but I'll be in Northern BC September 23rd thru Oct. 2nd and according to BSC, those date will be prime for bow hunting.

31-Mar-17
Bit of a crap shoot if you have to book that far out. But generally speaking, last bit of September and early October for that far north. Heavy rain, snow, or excessive heat can all affect how active the moose are as far as responding. They still breed at exactly the same time every year, though.

If you are strictly bowhunting, then timing is much more important. You want the bulls to be fixated, willing and aggressive. Following the main breeding period, their brains seem to regain some survival sense and they become more cautious and less willing to expend valuable energy. Their instinct now is to physically recover and bulk up for the long winter. They feed a lot, which makes them more available to rifles shooters, but tougher to approach within bow range.

I have called bulls in as late as late November and the odd guy will talk about the bull that came grunting and crashing in well after the rut. But that's not the norm.

You do have to book long range, but you also have the advantage of selecting dates. My advice would be to keep October 1st as the early/middle portion of your hunt. Given the choice between September or starting Oct 1st, I'd choose October.

Good luck. Take every opportunity to kill wolves!

31-Mar-17
I hunted Bison with Mike. One of the most fun hunts I have ever been on. I drove up from Pa and got my bison the first day. I was going to Alberta after that but had 11 days before that hunt started. I told Mike I had nowhere to go so he said we'll find something for you to do. Mike had several resident hunters staying there plus a few others . Long story very short I was in a several hunts, pack outs and just had an all-around great time. Had to go out to pick someone up. The guy asked "are you the guide?" told him "I am today, lets go" Great people and a great trip!

31-Mar-17
Thanks for the input. I'm all set for Sept 25 - Oct 4, 2019. It's a little ways out but will be here before I know it. Really looking forward to it.

31-Mar-17
Gene,

I hunted up there in the Fall of 2013 for Moose and bison. Your dates are perfect for both, as you can only bowhunt for moose in late September. Bison opens on October 1st.....at least, it used to.....so you could focus on moose first, and then after October 1, you can hunt for either. I posted that hunt on Bowsite......check out the thread entitled, "Sitting in the Calgary airport".....or something like that. Jake

31-Mar-17
Either before or after sept. 23 peak rut is around the 23.

31-Mar-17
Jake, I had already read your story, that helped push me over the edge to do this hunt... Since I was fortunate enough to kill the free range bison in WY a couple years ago, moose is my main focus on this trip...not saying I wouldn't try to hunt another animal they have there, the moose is first.

05-May-17
I heard Oct 1 to 15th is the peak of the rut up there. I'm confused now. Lol

05-May-17
I would go around the 20th of sept.it's as good as it gets for timing.

08-May-17

jtelarkin08's embedded Photo
I killed my bull on September 28. If your only wanting moose I would probably go Around September 20-22. But if your wanting to add goat go earlier and if your wanting to add bison go last 5 days of september.

08-May-17

I killed my bull on September 28. If your only wanting moose I would probably go Around September 20-22. But if your wanting to add goat go earlier and if your wanting to add bison go last 5 days of september.

01-Jun-17
I'll be up Sept 26 to October 5 or 7th in 2018

Going after Moose and Bison, i think the Bison season opens 10/1

already looking forward to the hunt.

05-Sep-19
Those 2 1/2 years sure went by quick...

Anybody else heading to Sikanni River this fall?

Anybody been there the last couple years with any stories to share?

05-Sep-19
Good luck Gene! Should be an awesome hunt...

05-Sep-19
Good luck Gene, keep that train a rollin!

05-Sep-19
Good luck Gene!!

05-Sep-19
You got this!!!

Look forward to your report!

Mark

05-Sep-19
Good luck, looking forward to the North myself in a couple weeks!

• Sitka Gear