midwest 01-Apr-17
TD 01-Apr-17
tcosmic 02-Apr-17
Mule Power 02-Apr-17
Bake 03-Apr-17
BigRed 03-Apr-17
BigRed 03-Apr-17
30-Mar-17
Does anyone have a forest river 17rr toy hauler? If so, looking for opinions good or bad.

31-Mar-17
The Grey Wolf toy haulers seem to be a really good deal compared to similar brands. I'm about to buy the 22RR. I'm picky about floor plans. I don't want to have to walk through the bathroom every time I exit the main bedroom. Have you priced any a bit larger? The price and weight doesn't go up much. In Ohio the 22 is 16K. The reason I ask is because the number one reason people sell or trade is because they wish they'd bought a bit bigger.

31-Mar-17
No matter what, buy used, not new!!!! Get one a little bigger than you think you want, or need! You won't regret having a little more room, but you will regret not having enough. Yes the Forest River are pretty good, I have a Big Big Forest River 5th wheel toy hauler and I love it! A walk around bed is a must, at least for me, and a separate shower/ toilette... I hate the combined ones.

JMT,

Good Luck,

Scar.

31-Mar-17
I would love to have a 17 or 18 foot toy hauler, tall enough to drive my Ranger into. I just can't justify one for 2 weeks of hunting trips a year.

I've looked at the Grey Wolf ones. I like them, but I've never seen a perfect floor plan for my purposes. I don't really need much of a kitchen. I mainly just want a bed to sleep in, and a shower and toilet. Bunk beds that fold down where the ATV sits too for buddies.

Maybe one day.

31-Mar-17
Forest River is the parent company for many many campers. They have low, mid, and high end brands. I own a Forest River stealth. I needed one capable of hauling two machines, so it is about 28 foot long and loaded weighs probably 10-11k. You don't really mention what your pull vehicle is but when you start pushing 7k or more it can become unpleasant with a 1/2 ton. I've got a 3/4 diesel with a jake brake and allison tow haul mode tranny and steep mountain passes are no issue.

That said, if your buying used, inspect the roof really well. I had a wind storm blow down a giant tree on mine recently. Had insurance, but the repair quote came back at $8,100 to replace the roof. Also beware and look at the tire wear. Some guys take their toy haulers down awful roads and you beat the crap out the axles when fully loaded. Another expensive repair.

For elk hunting, I prefer my pickup camper and I trailer my ATV. Not to many forest service roads that are compatible with Toy Haulers.

31-Mar-17
If the roof sheathing/ wood was not damaged, there are way cheaper repairs!!! PM me if you want information. I did forget to mention to stay away from anything that is listed as light weight! the weight reduction is usually done in the frame and main wall framing and it will not hold up if you take it off road! Good tip on checking the tire wear, but remember that all axle bushing eventually wear out and they are not that bad nor expensive to replace as long as the axles and leaf springs/ suspension parts are not bent.

Scar.

31-Mar-17
Yea, I took the check from the insurance company and bought the 15.00 roll of rubber roof repair patch. It reduced my cost basis on the camper by 50%

01-Apr-17
+1 Bake

That is why I still have my 2007 Stellar 22FBlite Toyhauler ( all paid off 2 years ago) as I only use it 2-3 times a year and it has been years and years since I even have had the 'Toy' part in there.

I mainly stay in a Cabin or Condo after it gets freezing at night though!

The new ones are real nice ---------->

Good luck, Robb

01-Apr-17
Thanks for all the input some good things to consider.

01-Apr-17
"I just can't justify one for 2 weeks of hunting trips a year."

Easy fix, Bake....schedule more hunts! ;-)

01-Apr-17
I've found I can pretty much justify anything if given time to come up with a good story.....

02-Apr-17
I have to agree with you about not buying new. This unit is a 2011. I see they went from the wheel base being outside the body back to wheels under the unit. This unit they are outside which makes for a wider axel. His asking price is $6,500. I have a 1 ton power stroke so not a problem towing. I did read some reviews about axel bow but some claim that is from over loading.

02-Apr-17
That's a damn good deal. If it's in good shape I'd jump on it.

03-Apr-17
I hear you Midwest. Problem is most of the hunts I wanna schedule are out of the country :)

03-Apr-17

BigRed's embedded Photo
BigRed's embedded Photo
I have an XLR Hyper Lite which is around 6700 lbs. dry. GVWR is 9800 lbs, but I don't load it much over 8500lbs.

03-Apr-17

BigRed's embedded Photo
BigRed's embedded Photo
It'll fit two utility ATV's and can be pulled by a sturdy half ton. Although mine has the max trailer tow pkg with a max tow weight of 12,000 lbs. It pulls it no problem, but the mileage is nothing to write home about.

• Sitka Gear