Sparky27 05-Apr-17
willliamtell 05-Apr-17
SoDakSooner 07-Apr-17
TheLama 07-Apr-17
Brun 07-Apr-17
Fulldraw1972 07-Apr-17
jordanathome 08-Apr-17
31-Mar-17
Name your favorite brands of merino wool base layers and where you purchase them at? Thanks Leo

31-Mar-17
Really like first lite. Always have a llano long sleeve and a Chama in my pack.

31-Mar-17
minus 33 degrees and firstlite are both fantastic! all outdoor clothing companies should offer merino wool. I wear wool socks, pants, shirts, base layers and even a sweater!

01-Apr-17
Core4 I have about a dozen tops, 190 and 2590 from $30-$35.

01-Apr-17
x3 minus 33

01-Apr-17
Ibex

01-Apr-17
I like it all. Depends on you body shape as to what will fit you the best. I own, Firstlite, KUIU, Core 4, Icebreaker, and black ovis. Direct ordering or campfire.com for most of my gear.

01-Apr-17
kuiu best source through kuiu

01-Apr-17
I have FirstLite, Minus33, Kuiu, and several others. I really like the FirstLite for comfort level. I was not as impressed with the Kuiu as I thought I would be. Merino is awesome for silence, temperature regulation and scent control. Much better than any synthetic materials.

Love wool. Still have a lot of King of the Mountain tops (pants have all worn out) that are still very useful.

01-Apr-17
Yep, another vote for minus 33. I also use first lite on tops and light jackets.

01-Apr-17
I got FirstLite as a gift and bought KUIU when it was 30% off.

01-Apr-17
First Lite is my favorite

01-Apr-17
I have several Core4 Merino tops and bottoms from Camofire, and one Kuiu.

01-Apr-17
First lite kuiu minus 33 for me. Really like the first lite best but all work well.

01-Apr-17
Camofire.com for cheaper clothes and equipment.

01-Apr-17
Ice Breaker is unparalleled when it comes to Merino, both in durability and comfort

01-Apr-17
Must of this stuff is " athletic cut", is there any out there that will fit a bulberius figured fella.

01-Apr-17
I bought minus 33 because they were on clearance. They work great. I own three tops and two bottoms, All in mid weight. They seem to be more of a relaxed fit which I like. But, they are warm and they were definitely worth the $30 apiece I paid for them. Base camping, I have enough that I can change out when they get bloody or such. They take a while to dry too. But, I like 'em for tent camping. Keep you warm. But, they do not dry very fast so if you need that, stay with synthetics. God Bless men

01-Apr-17
I'm with ELKMAN. Icebreakers for me.

01-Apr-17
I like the Icebreaker, I also like Smartwool, to me it's a toss up as to which is my favorite.

I have First Lite...not a fan at all, I also have minus 33, don't like that either

01-Apr-17
Minus33 is what I buy

01-Apr-17
Burly, Go up a size on the core4 or black ovis and you should be good.

01-Apr-17
I look for whatever is on sale . Dig First Lite but can be pretty pricey . Ice Breaker has incredible sales sometimes . They discontinued some camo patters a while back and totally slashed prices.

01-Apr-17
Thanks Wapiti

01-Apr-17
I like first lite but the lengths of their pants and shirts have been very inconsistent over time.

01-Apr-17
First Lite and LLBean.

03-Apr-17
Lots of great options. I prefer First Lite and wear it as my base layer.

03-Apr-17
I have Kuiu, smartwool, black ovis (camofire), icebreaker, and first lite. I like to buy on sale:) They are in my order of preference:

1. Icebreaker 2. smartwool 3. First Lite 4. Camofire/Black Ovis 5. Kuiu

The Kuiu for me is just not as comfortable, almost itchy. Never had that problem with any other merino. I have 4 pieces of Kuiu as well and all of them are the same.

03-Apr-17
For hunting any of the big makers have great product. I've used first lite, Kuiu and Sitka. Like them all

For everyday and hunting wear, I own about a dozen Icebreaker t shirts. I wear one of them every day. Either as an undershirt or as my main shirt. I like icebreaker because you can get multiple colors. I have green, grey, bright green, blue, red and light blue.

03-Apr-17
Ullfrotte makes some great stuff also.

03-Apr-17
I have some minus 33 that is going on 7 years old. I wear it alot. Wash it in the washer. Dry it in the dryer. Still in good shape. Bought some more last year. Amazon was the lowest prices I found.

03-Apr-17
Buzkill x2 - whatever is cheap. Moths like them too much to fall in love with any particular brand. Got some Cabelas that are pretty good (plenty long enough) and at a price where I don't mind the holes too much. About time to put away the winter clothes - any suggestions on killing moth eggs (aside from the obvious take them to a dry cleaner?)

03-Apr-17
I have several of the brands listed above. Not sure which is favored. Wool goes in ziplock or vacuum storage bags when not being used.

G

03-Apr-17
first lite

03-Apr-17
Love my First Lite stuff

03-Apr-17
Another First Lite fan.

03-Apr-17
My minus 33 t shirts are full of holes.....damn moths. LOL Still work but I look like a zombie

03-Apr-17
Hit EMS yesterday in North Conway and there was a 60% discount on Icebreaker merino quarter-zip tops. Picked up two for $60. Picked up a first lite Springer vest for $40. It was their last one and was an XL.

03-Apr-17
Nice score Lawdy. I like icebreaker's stuff along with first lite when I can afford it. A few pieces of FL I was not impressed with such as their boxer briefs and the Kanab pants, both of which I believe have been redesigned.

04-Apr-17
I stretched my budget buying it but I love the stuff in the winter and wear it alot in Newfy when jigging cod out in the Lab Straits. It can be warm on shore, and even on the water, but once you hit that cold current, it's like entering a cooler. The air temp drops 10 degrees sometimes. We had frost warnings up there last summer in the last week of July. Of course we are way up on the Northern Pen by St. Anthony.

04-Apr-17
I've only got some kuiu

04-Apr-17
bastards.....reminded me my 33below t's were moth eaten so I had to go buy new ones.......damn.....then I saw the boots post and some $150 Asolo's on STB.......expensive week for my poor arse.

05-Apr-17
I'm also a big fan of First Lite. Really love their merino...I like the AeroWool for hot/early season hunts but the Llano and Chama are my go-to pieces. Don't forget merino boxers and socks too...you've wasted your money on Gore-Tex/Breathable boots and outerwear if you're still wearing cotton underneath.

05-Apr-17
I should probably protect a few new garments from moths by bagging them. Thing is, when it is raining heavy and I just want to go for a hike, they're my go-to underlayer, so I like having them handy on a hanger. Probably if I paid around a hunski each for them I'd be more protective, but at my south-of-$50 bar I figure what's a few holes?

Speaking of which, there should be some deep discounts floating around on this stuff - end of winter, tax time, long ways from (literally) gearing up for hunting season. Once someone scores what you need - send your brothers a solid on sales.

07-Apr-17
Icebreaker, Kuiu. Like them both. I have a bunch of KUIU in solids I haven't even worn yet. GOt them that way so I could wear out in public.

07-Apr-17
KUIU and First Lite.

07-Apr-17
First Lite

07-Apr-17
I just bought 2 merino SS T shirts from Kuiu. So far so good. I think there a keeper.

08-Apr-17
Moths left my grundies alone but ate my shirts.....hmmmmmmmm

• Sitka Gear