ohiohunter 05-Apr-17
Deafbowhunter 16-Apr-17
trackman 16-Apr-17
t-roy 16-Apr-17
karlofdawild 16-Apr-17
Deafbowhunter 18-Apr-17
Deafbowhunter 18-Apr-17
04-Apr-17
Hey everyone, I am new to Arizona. I moved from Iowa last July for a job. One of my hobbies is shed hunting which I was pretty successful in Iowa but here in Arizona I am having hard time figuring out where/how to find some elk sheds. So far I have gone out 5 or 6 times with no success. I am asking, does anyone have input for me on how/where to look for elk sheds?

04-Apr-17
My advice, wait a couple more weeks until most of them drop. Just a bit early except for an occasional biggest one. Unless you are looking for unpicked areas with possible whites laying around, you will be hiking for the fun of it right now. Or go scouting for bulls, but my experience with that is you push them out of the areas and scatter them. Plus that is not good for wintering elk esp in colder climates. Probably no big deal in AZ.

04-Apr-17
Up high in elevation, south facing slopes. That's a good start.

04-Apr-17
Make certain where you shed hunt is legal. In some states such as Wyoming, sheds are now being planted with microchips and transmitters so trespassers and chain of custody can be traced. I also heard that Montana has a similar program but not certain about that, Wyoming was in the news reports. Live animals are also carrying microchips, which helps prosecute poachers and trespassers.

04-Apr-17
Start finding and watching bulls earlier before they drop if possible. See where they are hanging out and general areas they will be dropping.

05-Apr-17
Saw a spike yesterday, so the little guys still have antlers.

Terry

05-Apr-17
Spikes will hold for a long time, no use using them for timing.

16-Apr-17

Deafbowhunter's embedded Photo
Finally found a shed, up in the mountain in unit 22. Not a big one but my first elk shed.
Finally found a shed, up in the mountain in unit 22. Not a big one but my first elk shed.

16-Apr-17
I have seen spikes hold on the end of May

16-Apr-17
Congrats! Keep at it!

16-Apr-17
congrats on the score. I'm going to out on a limb and say there's probably no chip in it

18-Apr-17

My youngest daughter found those sheds within minutes apart. She's like her dad!
My youngest daughter found those sheds within minutes apart. She's like her dad!

18-Apr-17

• Sitka Gear