Whip 06-Apr-17
Paul@thefort 06-Apr-17
Brotsky 06-Apr-17
Paul@thefort 06-Apr-17
Brotsky 07-Apr-17
04-Apr-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Let's just say I had a reaction to my jake decoy the other day that wasn't quite what I usually get, and another encounter the following day that didn't go as scripted. Now it could just be early season turkeys being turkeys but things like that keep me up at night! Ha! As I contemplated my jake decoy I noticed that the red on his head wasn't as bright as it used to be, or should be IMO. I'm thinking it's time to give him a little update. Anyone paint the head on their jake? What color/type paint worked best? This will be a great project for Kia this week. Thanks guys.

04-Apr-17
Justin on mine even the new ones I get a red paint pen and add some more red.

04-Apr-17
Do you have any before and after photos trkyslr?

04-Apr-17

Ridge Wraith's embedded Photo
Ridge Wraith's embedded Photo
I brightened the red on my Jake this past winter also.

04-Apr-17
Thanks Chris, I was actually comparing pics of my jake to pics I took of your jake and that is what got me going on it due to how faded mine is. He's taken a few too many beaks to the melon over the years!

05-Apr-17
Not only that I add fingernail polish (with glitter) to give the feathers that multi-color sheen of blue, purple, red, etc.

Just a few highlights here and there do the trick. My daughter noticed it from 15 yds out when she hunterd with me. Dad... is that my polish??? Heee, Hee..Yup.

Better not let her look on the jigs in the tackle box.

05-Apr-17
Haven't tried that but I am now. I did turn my eastern decoys into Rios by adding cream and ivory highlights in the right areas. I believe the bright tail tips and the white on the back are visual triggers, much like white butts on mule deer. Before muley decoys were available I repainted whitetail does with a prominent white butt, and it totally changed the way bucks responded.

05-Apr-17

Bowfreak's embedded Photo
Bowfreak's embedded Photo
Picked up a can of Krylon real red. Sprayed onto a foam brush and did this in 5 minutes. If I find blue to suit me I'll touch it up and then do the white. I'm happy with how it looks. I may leave the blue as is and only touch up the white a bit.

06-Apr-17
Interesting

06-Apr-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
How'd she do? After on the left, before on the right.

06-Apr-17
DVD sells a touch up kit. I had to redo my breeding hen a couple of years ago. I shot a Tom out of a group of 5, then spent the next hour watching as the remaining four took turns having their way with her over and over. I kind of felt like a voyeur as she was used and abused. Now she's good as new and looking for love again.

06-Apr-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Justin,. I looked at your first picture of the jake and the hen but the hen is at least 6-8 ft away from the jake. You have followed along on a lot of my turkey hunts and can see I place the hen right in front or under the Jake as pictured. You might give this a try and I am sure you will not experience toms not coming in to investigate your setup as this set up seems to piss them off, they want to fight for the gal.

06-Apr-17
Thanks for the advice Paul. I'll give that a go this weekend. I have another feeding hen pit you can't see on the other side of the Jake as well.

06-Apr-17

try this setup. and then place the other hen off to the side but 10-12 ft away looking in the other direction, like it was feeding away.

07-Apr-17
This is "Kia's decoy" so she touched him up of course! Hopefully we splash a little more red on him in the morning!

• Sitka Gear