Chasewild 07-Apr-17
ELKMAN 07-Apr-17
SoDakSooner 07-Apr-17
WV Mountaineer 07-Apr-17
caribou77 07-Apr-17
DonVathome 01-May-17
LKH 01-May-17
04-Apr-17
I am looking for an internal frame extremely light backpack to use to pack in and as a daypack. I do not care about a lot of pockets, 2-4 is plenty. I want something comfortable and light both are VERY important. Under 5#, preferably 3#-4#.

Ideas?

04-Apr-17
I have a Kuiu Ultra 6000 that I've used on a goat hunt and a sheep hunt, it is under 5 lbs but don't recall exact weight. I bought two belt pouches as an option. It is a nice pack, but for me it is not my favorite for carrying a heavy load (> 50), that's for sure.

It does make a nice daypack, and you can carry out a good first load of meat in it, but after that I'm switching to a meat hauler.

04-Apr-17
Check out Stone Glacier packs. I really like my sky Archer and I believe it is under #5. There are other lighter options I think. Great company also very helpful to talk to.

04-Apr-17
I used a Kifaru UL5200 with a few pockets for 6 yrs. 3-¼ # with pockets, 2-¾#s without. Makes a great all-day day pack and just OK to pack in for two weeks. Not very good for packing out big game though. Obsolete now and only available used.

04-Apr-17
If you're talking about a FULL SIZE frame pack (say 5000+ cubic inches and able to haul 75+ lb loads) then I don't think you'll find many choices that are much less than 5 lbs. As Kurt mentioned, Kifaru once did make an UltraLight pack, but they stopped doing so a few years ago. I believe the main reason was because of the large number of complaints and repairs they processed due to the fabric being too thin/fragile for it's intended use. I wore a hole in mine during the first extended trip.

04-Apr-17
Stone Glacier is exactly what you are looking for. Pick the pack bag for your needs. I just use the little Approach bag when day hunting cause I don't need to carry much, but with the load sling I can easily haul out a whole boned out deer or an elk hind qtr, etc.

04-Apr-17
Many options...but personally I wouldn't buy one of these packs without trying it first...or a good 30 day money back return policy...that frankly some of the cult pack makers don't offer.

I wanted one of those latest/greatest cult packs many years ago that a friend connected with the Company got for me to test- luckily. It barreled badly with only 40# in it...and swayed a little from side to side...I con only imagine it would be much worse with a meat load.

Not my cup of tea though a couple buddies bought it....as did many at the time.

Test it first if you don't want a pile of packs in your garage.

04-Apr-17
Which pack was that Benndare?

The kifaru I use isn't the lightest pack out there but it's comfortable and holds more than I can carry.

If I were to go "ultralight", I think I'd get a bikini frame and a highcamp bag.

That said, the stone glaciers are very nice and most of my friends use them without issue.

04-Apr-17
I use my old pop up blind bags , those cheap 50-60$ blinds get torn up but the carry bag is great for day sits.

04-Apr-17
I use my old pop up blind bags , those cheap 50-60$ blinds get torn up but the carry bag is great for day sits.

04-Apr-17

tobinsghost's embedded Photo
tobinsghost's embedded Photo
I use a kuiu ultra 1850 as a daypack and in three trips brought out this bad boy. I only had to go 1.4 miles with no steep terrain but it worked for me. It was not comfortable but I got it done.

04-Apr-17

Predeter's Link
Seek Outside makes some nice light packs.

04-Apr-17
My Kifaru T1 is right around 5 lbs after modifications. Removed snow collar, sleeping bag compartment divider as well as some internal lashing spots.

I have never had more then 70 lbs in it. It did perform very well with that weight though. It will compress decently for day hunt mode.

Kifaru's ultralight frame lists at 3 lbs. The DT1 lists at 3 lbs 2 oz's. With the mods I spoke of you will be in the 5 lbs range.

04-Apr-17
The Ultralight Kifaru frame fulldraw mentions with the Mt. Warrior would get you to about 6 lbs and it has a few pockets, but not many. The Tahr would get you to 5 lbs, but it appears to be one big bag, so not much organizing opportunities, but it's fairly small (3400 ci). I only have experience with Kifaru and Mystery Ranch, neither of which are light packs and it's difficult to get robust, light and comfortable although having all would be ideal. The Kifaru does pack down really small for daypack mode so I wouldn't shy away from a larger size than you think you need (of course you do get the weight penalty with larger).

04-Apr-17
Kifaru 26"UL frame is 3#, a Tahr bag is 1# 12oz, couple pockets would put you right over 5#.

04-Apr-17
You may want to consider one of the lighter Kifaru frames and lightest bags. The frame will be comfortable and capable of 100 lb loads. I have 2 Kifaru bags and interchange them on the same kifaru frame depending upon what I am using it for. There are a lot of Kifaru followers out there and I hardly know 1 that has any complaints!

04-Apr-17
For the $$$ Kifaru has some great options that go from daypack size to 5000 c.i. and more. I love my Badlands Ultraday pack for just what you describe. And has held up to 6+ years of use and abuse.....not just for a week a year.

05-Apr-17
Thanks guys! Comfort for daypack use is a must, comfort for weights over 70# not as important.

05-Apr-17
Don, I think I sent you a PM. Let me know if you did not get it. Cliff

07-Apr-17
I used a kuiu Ultra 6000 last fall caribou hunting. Pack weights under 50 pounds carried very well. Compressed nicely for a day pack as well. But when i got a bou on the ground and tried carrying it out in 1 load, well it was probably the must uncomfortable pack I've used. I carried out a bou the previous year with a external pack frame (cabelas alaskan guide) and the comfort between the two was night and day.

07-Apr-17
Everything you've described, you could get by with a Kuiu. But, on the day you NEED to carry even more than 40 pounds, you'll wish you went with a SG or a Kifaru bikini with tahar or high camp bag. There is no comparison between SG or Kifaru and a Kuiu.

07-Apr-17
Kuiu Ultra 3000 or the Kuiu Icon Pro 3200. For smaller go with the same packs in the 1800. By far the lightest, and best pack value in the industry and it's not close.

07-Apr-17
I've got a KUIU Icon 5200(also have the 1850 bag) that I really like. Quasi Internal frame.

For just a daypack, don't discount non hunting packs. My brother uses an Osprey Atmos. Really likes it and it will carry some weight if needed.

07-Apr-17
Im glad you started this thread Don. It got me involved into making some decisions for myself. I'm thinking the icon pro 1850 is going to be coming to WV.

Like the OP suggests is his plan, It's not a pack I intend to haul out a whole elk on. But, I can haul out a whole deer and a days worth of gear. Plus use it for the first trip on an elk. Then revert to meat hauling Pack frames for elk second and third trips.

I don't need a pack capable of carrying 80 pound loads comfortably as a day pack when I'm looking for an ultra light daypack. That's what an external framed meat pack is For.

I keep hearing people say bikini framed Kifaru packs but, their web sight has no mention of a bikini frame. Am I missing something?

SG's 1700 and 1800 look good for my purposes but, OUCH. They aren't cheap.

Any other alternatives besides the three or four mentioned already?

God Bless men

07-Apr-17
The bikini frame is an older model.

01-May-17
I am kind of "stuck" because of flying bringing 2 packs is not really ideal. That said I do not mind a little discomfort hauling meat - considering most of the time I will be hauling lighter loads - and deer hunts etc.

A second pack often is not going to make the cut to fly with.

01-May-17
I've got a frame that breaks down and fit's in a bag about 13" by 6" diameter. I've hauled 85# quarters with it. It's made of aluminum flat pieces. I've also hauled an entire cow caribou with the leg bones in. It was made by Rocky Mountain Pack systems and is perfect for fly-ins. Didn't come with a bag, but I simply hang one of my homemade packs on it.

• Sitka Gear