AZ~Rich 30-Jun-17
Buffalo1 30-Jun-17
Buffalo1 04-Jul-17
AZ~Rich 05-Jul-17
AZ~Rich 05-Jul-17
Buffalo1 05-Jul-17
AZ~Rich 05-Jul-17
05-Apr-17
Buffalo1 sent me the link this morning as we are flying Delta to Alaska next month. Delta has revised their travel regulations for firearms, and to a smaller degree, archery equipment. The biggest change to the archery it looks like so far is only one bow per case. Not sure how having two bows in a single case makes a difference other than a bunch of yahoos got together in a meeting up at corporate and thought up all this crap. https://www.safariclub.org/what-we-do/freedom-to-hunt/first-for-hunters-blog/first-for-hunters/2017/04/04/delta-airlines-new-requirements-for-carrying-firearms-in-checked-luggage

05-Apr-17
They want you to pay for an extra bag.

05-Apr-17
Delta is NOT friendly to hunters. They changed their cargo policy and will not accept freight from Africa that includes ANY of the Big 5. Supposedly based on the Cecil the Lion nonsense. My importer says that this policy is so information-based that Delta has now also included Asian water buffalo from Australia and South America, apparently assuming that a "buffalo is a buffalo."

Pete

05-Apr-17
I posted this at the Ken Moody Safaris Facebook page as well. Also, posted there is a piece on Delta NOT transporting Big 5 trophies from Africa back to the US any longer. The new trend for the lib crowd now is to get massive on line petitions started to stop companies from doing anything they think is wrong. Change.org is where it usually begins. They have executed these ops with great success. Tony Markris' TV show was pulled from NBC Sports after a petition was started over an elephant hunt. The lib/anti movement continues to grow and make change while many here would rather fight each other over broadhead choice and the like. If the hunting world continues in fighting and doesn't wake up to the big picture ....draw your own conclusions.

05-Apr-17
"One bow and quiver of arrows and maintenance kit enclosed in a case or container strong enough to protect the bow and quiver from accidental damage"

This is not new, and I'm pretty certain that it was not intended to be interpreted to restrict you to only 1 bow per case.... If they were looking to collect more bag fees, why would they still allow you to have more than one rifle per case, but restrict you to one bow per case if that was the intent? It makes no sense... I have flown on Delta with 2 bows in a double bow case many times without issue. I intend to have 2 bows in 1 case when I fly Delta to RSA at the end of the month. If I have any issues, I will be sure to pass on that info here.

05-Apr-17
Perhaps the policy is driven by damage claims when two bows, quiver, arrows, jacket, socks and 14 other items are crammed into a bow case by travelers.

05-Apr-17
firehuntfish, I'm with you. Come next month when we arrive at the airport, I will have mine and my daughters bow in a one case, BUT, I will have the other empty case in the truck, just in case. If they try to gig me for it, I'll run out to the truck and grab the empty one. Now to hope they don't measure them. :)

05-Apr-17
Delta is NOT hunter friendly...time for all of us to boycott them....

Alaska Air and Southwest are great!

05-Apr-17
I hear ya on the boycott....but I have to confess, on this particular trip, my brother had a gazillion Delta miles and got our two round trip tickets from San Antonio to Fairbanks for a whoppin' $22 For the Namibia trip, we will not be flying Delta.

05-Apr-17
Never had Delta or any other any airline tell me that it was not permissible to put 2 bows in 1 case. Nor have I ever had an airline measure my bow case or give me any grief over the size of any reasonably sized case made specifically for bows. Now, overweight is another story.... You won't get any slack there...

While we are on the subject, another tip I would offer is to write "Bow & arrow only. No guns. " on a piece of masking tape and put it across the top of the case where it can't be missed. The Delta agent actually did this for me a few trips back and I have never had a problem since with the bow case going to the police office with the guns upon arrival in Africa.

05-Apr-17
Being the cynical bastard that I am, I imagine Delta is doing this out of ant-hunting sentiments and it goes no deeper than that. I could be wrong, I was once before :)

16-May-17
Just got home from Africa today and I wanted to follow up on this topic with my most recent experience.... (full hunting report to follow when the jet lag wears off)...

I had no issues flying with 2 bows in one case on Delta. In fact, the Delta personnel I dealt with were very accommodating and informed on this particular trip. I asked the Delta reps both here and on the Africa side and both said that they were not aware of any new policies pertaining to limiting one bow per case.

However, one development that was new is that the bow cases are apparently now going to the customs office with the guns upon arrival in back into the USA. At least this will be true for customs in Atlanta.... My bow case was taken to the customs office where firearms are inspected and claimed upon re-entry to the USA. I was informed by the customs office that this a new practice to inspect the archery equipment for "animal blood & bodily fluids''. They sprayed my bows, arrows, and broadheads with a disinfectant solution.... I am not kidding... They were not concerned with the blood splatter all over my hunting boots, but they were adamant about the bows and arrows. Just something to be aware of that may or may not occur upon re-entry into the USA. Depending on where you end up in line and how many hunters were on your flight, this inspection/decon may add 30 minutes to an hour to your travel time.

16-May-17
Thanks for the heads up Dan. Forrest

16-May-17
Thank you for the follow up! I will keep that in mind for my Australia trip.

Scar.

16-May-17
Good valid info Firehuntfish. Thanks for sharing.

17-May-17
Thanks Firehuntfish, we leave for Alaska in three days, flying Delta, and will be putting two bows in a single SKB case. Hopefully all will go well.

18-May-17
Delta has changed executives recently...the previous executive was a hunter and listened to the NRA and SCI when it came to what hunters needed/wanted.

The pressure is coming from insurance companies. If it was up the the insurance company they would not allow ANY weapons on the plane...PERIOD.

SCI is in talks with Delta to explain and come to an understanding when it comes to traveling with a weapon (bow or gun). The reason they are interested in speaking with SCI and NRA is that hunters/gun owners actually make up a surprising amount of their first class passengers on certain flight routes.

This is a somewhat slow process....but it is being worked on

18-May-17
I seem to recall on our last trip back to ATL on Delta our bowcases went to the area where all gun cases were taken for inspection, but after talking to some of the rifle hunters in the long line we determined that if you had only a bow you could just got to the head of the line and state that you are only picking up your bow....(lots of scowling faces from those guys in line). But now it appears you will have to wait in line with all of them so they can spray down your equip. I do have a question though, I usually carry my arrows (with broadheads on) in 2 hardcase arrow cases packed in my regular luggage and just maybe six arrows in the bowcase. Do you think they will satisfied with only those items in the bowcase or will they think to ask about any other arrows/broadheads. I am guessing they wont. On another note, I'm sure they are still taking more time spraying down any boots or shoes you wore while hunting to prevent possible anthrax spores from getting in.

19-May-17
AZ Rich....as a general rule anymore I advise people to travel with their arrows in a case with no tips (field points or broadheads). Then carry the broadheads in either original packaging or in some other hard sided container.

It only takes one ignorant gate agent to make your trip start or end badly. Just do everything you can to make it hard for them to find an issue.

I have personally been there....traveling home on the eve of Thanksgiving from New Mexico. I had traveled with my firearm the same way for many years...and now one gate agent teamed with a rookie TSA agent....I spent hours arguing, got written up, and lost my TSA Pre-check for 1 year. If I would have went above and beyond...instead of barely....I would have saved myself some headaches.

20-May-17
Good advice. THX

22-May-17
I hunted SA in 2015 and the policy firehuntfish is addressing was already in place then... All the archers on my flight were unaware and had a difficult time finding their cases not knowing they went to the firearms inspection. I had 2 bows in one case but was not an issue. I have had a WAY more difficult time going to Newfoundland. Toronto is very anti=hunter.

04-Jun-17
Update on our trip to Fairbanks and flying with Delta.

My daughter and I traveled with two checked bags apiece. As per Delta, each passenger is allowed two checked bags. We each had a Granite Gear luggage bag and inside of each one of those we stored one arrow tube containing a dozen arrows. Since we were packing cold weather clothes, rain gear, bug jackets, and taking gifts from Texas we needed a third piece of luggage to haul all that we needed. In hindsight, we (I) packed way too much gear. The fourth piece of checked luggage was our SKB double bow case containing two bows, hers and mine. That case is well over the 63" linear length allowed by the airlines, coming it at 74" by my measurements. Fearing I would get dinged at the Delta check in station inside the terminal, I turned to the Skycap at the curb. He immediately asked, "bow case?" to which I replied "yes, bows only, now firearms, no ammunition, no arrows" He didn't ask anymore questions, just took care of business, and gave us our boarding passes. I tipped him $10 and wished him a good day. We had an two hours before lift off and I checked online as we boarded and all four pieces were showing to be on-board our plane. First stop was in Salt Lake and we only had 30 minutes to make the next flight on our trip. We literally ran from one terminal to the other and immediately boarded as we got to the gate. Again, I checked online just before they closed the airplane door and all four bags were showing to be loaded on the plane. Next layover, Seattle. We had an hour this time, so we grabbed a bite to eat. As we boarded that flight I again checked online. All four bags were loaded. Last stop, Fairbanks. Upon arrival, the three pieces of luggage came on the carousel without incident. Peyton told me the bow case would go to the oversize baggage claim counter. We went there, were told to go check with the Delta people at the check in station. Went there and asked her if she had it and about that time a fella starts heading my way from the oversize baggage claim dragging my bow case. He didn't look happy. He came to us at the Delta station and told her the case was supposed to have TWO tie wraps to secure it. According to him, it was supposed to have been done in San Antonio before it was put on the plane. Now mind you, I replaced all six of the normal latches with TSA locks AND used a TSA cable lock through one of the holes to further prevent the case from coming open, so a total of seven TSA locks. He said that didn't matter, because of an incident recently in a Florida airport with a firearm, ALL weapons cases are supposed to be secured with TWO tie wraps. So guess what? They pulled out two tie wraps that were extra heavy duty, about two feet long, and zipped them through the holes. Then, and only then, did they allow us to walk the remaining fifty feet to the exit door with the case. Peyton was just getting started on them and their rules when I gently hastened him towards the doors and freedom.

The return trip seven days later. No Skycap at the Fairbanks airport so we have to take our chances at the Delta check in. The lady looks at the bow case and said, "Firearms huh? I need you to open it?" I told her, "No firearms, just bows, no firearms, no ammunition, no arrows." She replied, "Oh, okay, great." Tagged it and handed it back to me telling me I'd need to drop it off at the oversize baggage station. No mention of tie wraps, two bows, anything. Here's the kicker though. She tags the three other pieces and then tells me I owe her $60 and I ask why? Well, you are allowed two bags of luggage but your daughter is not. Hers will cost $30 per bag. I ask her why and she said something about my daughter not being a skymiles customer or something, I'm not sure what exactly, and when I started to protest, she said matter of factually, "Look, I don't have time to argue, there's a long line behind you, here's the phone number you can call tomorrow and protest with them." At the time, I was thinking the $60 dollars for the two bags was still cheaper than the cost of having one oversize piece, so I paid it and walked away heading to the gate. I haven't had time to call yet, will try to call Delta tomorrow and see what they say. Now, on the return legs, I didn't track the luggage at each stop. I figured they did so well on the trip up, they'd get it right on the return trip as well. Yeah, right. First stop Seattle, thirty minute layover, ran from one plane to the next. Next stop, Minneapolis-St Paul. SIX hour layover. YES, a six hour layover. Sat in the terminal all day with Emily surfing the internet, watching movies, etc. Next stop, home. San Antonio at last. The three pieces of luggage come out on the carousel. No bow case? I ask the Delta employee at baggage claim. I'm told it should being coming out on the carousel. We wait, all the other passengers have departed. Emily, me, and the two Delta employees are the only ones left, it's late on Sunday night. I'm figuring they're about to turn out the lights in the place it's so quite. I give them the tracking number. She finally pulls it up and tells me, "Well, it made it to Minneapolis okay, it just doesn't show that it made it on the plane." I said, Are you kidding me? Six hour layover and they can't get it on the plane?" Three layovers of approximately thirty minutes and no problem, six hours on the ground and forget about it. Good news though, that was Sunday night, 9:45 PM. They delivered the bow case to my door Monday night at 10:30 PM, case intact, bows intact, and still no mandatory tie wraps. Next hunting trip is in June of 2018 to Namibia, can't wait to see what that adventure entails.

05-Jun-17
I just travelled to Anchorage on Delta and for the life of me can't figure out what putting a "twist tie strap" accomplishes. On the way to Anchorage, they attached one tie strap to my firearm . However, when I switched airlines in Anchorage, the tie strap had to come off. On the way home they didn't put any tie straps on my firearm. If this is their answer to stopping a "bad guy", they have their head in the clouds.

05-Jun-17
After all the bad experiences with Delta Airlines by myself and hearing, and reading countless other horror stories from Delta customers, I have made the decision to avoid them whenever possible. They are clearly ANTI HUNTING and there fees and service SUCKS. I will be flying to South Africa this month and it will not be on Delta Airlines. I would rather walk or swim then travel on Delta Airlines. To each his own but I think DELTA SUCKS, but....oh yea...I said that already.

05-Jun-17
Delta has always been my airline of last resort anyway.

05-Jun-17
So are you saying that Delta required your SK double bow case to be zip-tied or strapped all the way around the outside? You said it was through the holes; (I assume you mean the steel slot brackets on front and rear of the case)? This would be news to me as well. I wonder if webstrapping with buckles would satisfy them. I might have some handy just in case next week when we go to RSA.

05-Jun-17
They zip tied my SKB Firearm case all the way around the outside. For sure that heavy duty zip tie will deter any wrong doing.

05-Jun-17
Ok thanks Kota-ma. So Delta did provide the long zips then. Thanks! I will ask Delta about this when I check it in next week. Can't imagine they would require the passengers to provide long heavy duty zips and not have it worded specifically to that effect in their baggage regulations. I'm sure the confusion on Delta agent's part was in the interpretation of any "weapons" case which they mostly observe as a firearm case. The SKB double bow case looks very much like a rifle case to them. Obviously, many Delta agents are not trying to differentiate archery from firearm here, they're just adhering to their recent "extra security" policy by blanketing all weapons cases. I just have to remember to bring a large toe nail clipper in my backpack or other checked bag.

05-Jun-17
Correct...They did it. I did not even know they zip tied it until I picked it up at baggage claim. Then, had to have Raven Airlines cut it off so I could open the case to put in a new firearms declaration from Raven before I checked in with them. Crazy...

05-Jun-17
I flew Delta for one reason. My brother worked the oil fields for years up on the north slope, flying from DFW back and forth for years. He racked up a ton of airline miles and when he heard I was taking my daughter, his niece, up there to hunt, he graciously offered to take care of the airline tickets using his air miles. He had to pay the taxes on the tickets, a whopping $22 a person. So Delta sounded pretty good to me. And the guy in Fairbanks did not work for Delta to my knowledge, but he made the lady that did work for Delta put two zip ties on the case before they'd allow us to leave the terminal. And the SKB case has about four, maybe six, holes around the edge. I had a TSA cable lock through one of them already.

For our trip to Namibia next year, I am looking at flying on Qatar Airways. Anybody have any dealings with them? They fly out of Houston. One stop in Doha, eight hour layover there where we intend on sleeping at the hotel inside the airport. Then straight flight into Windhoek.

06-Jun-17
Update on the fee they charged my daughter for her two check in bags. According to the nice lady on the phone, ALL passengers on Delta get charged $25 for first checked bag, $35 for the second, UNLESS you have a Delta credit card or in my case, a first time flyer on Delta with a SkyCard membership. So when I dropped them off at the Skycap on the flight out, he didn't care two hoots if I had a membership, a credit card, etc. Therefore he took them without questions and he received a $10 tip. I advised her I'd probably not be flying Delta anytime soon as that policy stinks.

06-Jun-17
Its interesting though that every time I've flown Delta to RSA that as a rule, the ticket agent checking in my bowcase instructs me to stand close by (within sight) after the locked case is sent on the conveyor to TSA's Xray. If for any reason TSA wants to open the case I am readily available to provide the agent with the key which they bring back to the TSA agent. Once they finished checking and relocking it, the ticket agent brings the key back and waves me up to retrieve it. Then I proceed to security and onto the gate. Now it seems Delta agents are putting their own zip ties around the cases in addition to existing keyed locks, so if the TSA agents want to inspect inside they will have to cut those ties, plus get your keys, negating any usefulness Delta envisioned by using them. I might add, my SKB case is pre TSA so the four locks are not TSA locks. I have never had them request any further inspection of my case here in Tucson but I always hang around the baggage check-in another ten minutes until I get direct word from the ticket agent that TSA did not need my keys and it cleared X-Ray. It's all insanity but so far I have never had any problems with Delta on these particular trips to/from JNB.

06-Jun-17
My SKB case came with the standard six latches. I ordered the TSA lockable latches and installed them myself, then as an added precaution, I used a new newfangled TSA cable lock that has an indicator button to show if anyone other than the owner opened the lock. But that wasn't enough, those two zip ties made it completely safe though.

06-Jun-17
Has anyone recently returned from Africa who can report info recent experiences regarding this thread ?

06-Jun-17
Greg...Nothing to worry about. Delta will zip tie any and all threats.

06-Jun-17
So here is a ? If you write on the outside of the case... "No firearms, field archery equipment" do you think it would make a difference? So many people are absolutely clueless when it comes to archery equipment.

Thanks,

Scar.

07-Jun-17
It may not make any difference. I also have "Archery Equipment" labeled on my case too. Just because a case is labelled as something they do not simply assume that is what it is actually being used for. It looks like a weapon case therefore it gets their special treatment.

07-Jun-17
In South Africa archery equipment is treated the same as firearms by the government.

07-Jun-17
"In South Africa archery equipment is treated the same as firearms by the government."

I respectfully disagree with this statement. The first time I went to South Africa I allowed my bow classified as a "firearms". Was a new kid and did not know the difference. My bow case was found in the police office.

After I learned my lesson - that bows and arrows are classified as "Sporting Equipment" not "Firearms" my bow case arrived in the oversize luggage area and the police were out of the picture.

I have traveled with bow case classified as "Sporting Equipment" in Germany and Namibia and the police have not entered the equation. My bow case always arrives in the oversize luggage area.

08-Jun-17
Ditto. That's been my experience in JNB also since 2011. Ten years ago they had a completely inefficient system that required bows to be physically inspected and full descriptions of case contents and personal info to be logged/registered by some "official" who painstakingly printed all this information into a large ledger with every bow or firearm taking a new entry line. The line of guys with rifles and bows waiting for this person to fulfill their job was numbing. I think it took me two hours to clear that nonsense, (not including waits forclearing regular customs on landing). It is much better now.

08-Jun-17
"In South Africa archery equipment is treated the same as firearms by the government."

I firmly agree with AZ Rich and Buffalo 1 that this is not the case... You bow case is often "mistaken for firearms" but not regarded as the same by any means in RSA... I cannot emphasize strongly enough what I have already mentioned earlier in this thread, and that is to mark your bow case with bold lettering on 3 sides declaring it as "Bow & Arrow... No guns".... This will greatly increase your odds of your case not being misidentified by the baggage handlers and ending up in the SAPS office with the guns...

08-Jun-17
I forgot to mention an available option that goes to AZ Rich's point about clearing immigration... Both the Afton and Africa Sky guest houses offer a VIP meet & greet service that will allow for you to avoid the lines at passport control and clear immigration at the VIP desk and proceed straight to baggage claim. My wife and I opted for this service on our last 2 trips to Jo'burg, and it cost $50 for up to a party of 4. We were met in front of passport control by a guest house rep with our name on a sign. We were escorted past the long lines straight to the VIP immigration kiosk and cleared in less than 5 minutes. Then we were escorted to baggage claim and they load your bags on a trolley for you and you are out the door..... If you are clearing guns and opt for the rifle permit assistance service as well, you will proceed right to the SAPS office to their VIP line. They will get your guns cleared in under 5 minutes as well.

For us it is worth the money. It can take anywhere from 30-90 minutes to clear immigration depending on how many flights have arrived. In my past experiences, the average wait is about 30-40 minutes without the VIP meet & greet. Just something to consider depending on how quickly you wan to get out of there....

08-Jun-17
A Porter and VIP service goes A LONG ways at the Joberg airport. I always try to use a "Meet and Greet" when I go in. Exiting AFrica, the first thing I do is find a Porter. He usually takes me right to the front of the check in line.

08-Jun-17
Great advice from Firehuntfish & kota-man.

09-Jun-17
Thanks for that advice Firehuntfish. We are going to be at the Afton House this coming Wed so I will check into their Meet and Greet service for sure.

10-Jun-17
AZ-Rich, The Afton, now called the Afton Safari Lodge was recently bought by a gentleman named Richard Lendrum. He is also the publisher of the African Hunting Gazette magazine. Needless to say, they are very "hunter-friendly". Richard has plans to expand and update the services and accommodations that the Afton offers. He is a good friend, and I'm sure he will do some great things with the place. Anyone visiting there will be well taken care of...

10-Jun-17
Thanks, Yes, we've stayed there in the past. I already signed us up for the VIP meet/greet service. It's now $60 for up to 4 in a one group coming off a single flight. If you stay they already have a meet/greet service included in the price of the room but it's in the arrival lobby after you've already cleared baggage, customs, etc. They have free shuttle service to and from. Highly recommended and very reasonable prices. Great people there too.

13-Jun-17
Currently waiting in ATL for our Delta flight to JNB. Arrived from Tucson this AM on Delta. We had absolutely no issues checking in our bowcases. Easiest process ever, and they did explain to us that TSA is really not at all concerned with Archery stuff just the firearms, so I did not even have to wait for mine to clear before going on through security. No zip ties required. Now we're just hoping they all arrive with us intact at JNB tomorrow.

17-Jun-17
We had about the most uneventful process getting through immigration and customs with our bowcases that I can recall. Only one question was asked which was somebody at oversized baggage wanted to know if they were firearms. Once we told him no, they were just archery equipment, he waved us by. No other questions were asked at customs as we just walked out with them. Turns out we did not really require the VIP meet greet service from Afton. There was some mixup and since they were not at the plane to meet us we were not charged for the extra service. If you've done it before at JNB and are comfortable than I don't think you really need this service but a first timer could certainly benefit from it. We finished 3 days touring Kruger so now our hunt begins tomorrow!

17-Jun-17
Thanks AZ

17-Jun-17
Thanks for the update AZ. Know you enjoyed Kruger.

Already 3 days into time change acclimation - good luck on a successful hunt.

Looking forward to your hunt thread.

17-Jun-17
Thanks Rich...shoot the big one !

20-Jun-17

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
I did!!

20-Jun-17
Beautiful sable- Congrats

20-Jun-17
WOW, congratulations! And thanks for the update on the travel stuff. Enjoy your stay/hunt.

28-Jun-17
Just returned on Delta this morning into ATL. It appears that when you check in with Customs agent after using the passport kiosk/scanner to answer four questions it will come up that you hunted and they will arrange for another window agent to have you escorted to the Glass room where all weapons cases are placed. The third kiosk question if answered yes, indicates you traveled on rural farmlands including game areas for hunting and your receipt will show a black circle. They will also be interested in having your footwear available for treatment when you get your bow. For Bows your passport, kiosk receipt, etc is placed in a clear envelope with green borders. Blue for rifles. There will be some other customs ladies collecting these and escorting all the hunters for whom she has envelopes to baggage claim where they direct you to collect you bag then get in line at the glass room door facing the baggage carousel. The don't tell you that once there are sufficient number of customs agents in the glass room they will want to get all the bow cases taken care of first followed by the rifle hunters. Don't be afraid to ask about having a bow vs rifle since announcements are not made overhead you have to listen when the open the door to call for bows first. Once inside they will inspect your opened bowcases and treat the footwear you provide to them while your bow is being inspected. Once cleared you are on your way.

28-Jun-17
AZ-Rich

Did you have 2 bows in your bow case? If yes, was there ever any issue over the fact? Were your arrow/BH's in bow case or suitcase/duffle?

Tks

29-Jun-17
No just one bow in the case. When asked by Delta at checkin, I just said there were no firearms in the case just bow and arrow. They never asked about number of bows nor did they check inside case at any Delta checkin. No questions were asked about where any broadheads were, but I did pack them separately (in my duffel). I had 6 arrows in the bowcase and again no questions asked about any of this. The rest were in an arrow case packed inside my rolling duffel. There was no concern by customs in ATL at all about dirty or bloody arrows or heads only any shoes worn in rural farm areas. I believe the customs agents in ATL are practical in some sense because they only make a superficial inspection of the bow case contents; folding back any clothing or other stuff to expose just a portion of the bow. If they approached this with more vigor then the time it would take to get everything repacked exactly so that the cases close right would take so long that the backup would be too much. As it was the rifle guys outside the glass room were getting frustrated that they wanted to inspect all bowcases before firearms.

29-Jun-17
That's for the feedback AZ-Rich. And again, congrats on a really nice trophy sable. It is a real beauty.

30-Jun-17
Glad if it helps anyone going soon and thanks for the that. My other buddies both took their sable 40" and 41" so we were all pretty happy. I shot another five , they shot another five and six respectively. Not that it matters much to me, but I was fortunate enough to have three of these in the top 20 for bow. My sable should be in top ten to fifteen depending on the 60 day drying period.

30-Jun-17
Why are you having to wait 60-day drying period for a sable? It does not come under B&C or P&Y scoring rules.

30-Jun-17
Apparently, (and I did not know this), according to SCI if an animal is to be considered for a top twenty ranking it will need to be officially measured again by a Master measurer after 60 days. I looked it up on the SCI site. Outside the top twenty a green score is allowed for an entry. Problem is most hunters going to Africa never see their trophies until after they are boiled down, dried for Dip and Pack and shipped back: (far past 60 days). After all that processing they really shrink down from green scores. So, ideally you need to have a master measurer tape it again at 60 days before it is sent to Dip and Pack .

30-Jun-17
Straight from SCI Measurers Manual: WHEN TO MEASURE: GREEN OR DRY? 15.Most animals may be measured immediately, with no drying-out period required. However, any animal that ranks in the overall Top 20 of a Record Book species category, must be certified by a Master Measurer 60 days or more after the date of harvest. At no time during the 60 day drying period is the animal permitted to be frozen or manipulated from the natural drying process. (Exceptions are crocodilians and darted animals, which are measured green and, therefore, cannot be certified as a Top 20 animal). An animal that is a potential Top 20 that is taken within sixty days of the Major Awards deadline (March 31st of the year prior to the convention) should be measured by a Master Measurer and submitted to the Record Book Department to qualify for the following year Major Awards Program.

30-Jun-17
Great explanation of the rules. Hopefully, your skull/horns can be handled properly and measured,if up for a Top 20 contention.

04-Jul-17

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
In the famous words of Buddy Guy, "Damn right I got the blues!"
Buffalo1's embedded Photo
In the famous words of Buddy Guy, "Damn right I got the blues!"
My latest attempt to camo bows when flying. Finished my decals application today. Decals on both sides, plus will have a decals in lock area noting "No Firearms Inside."

We'll see what happens. Hopefully the luggage gorillas will not bother my musical instruments.

05-Jul-17
Just returned on Delta this morning into ATL. It appears that when you check in with Customs agent after using the passport kiosk/scanner to answer four questions it will come up that you hunted and they will arrange for another window agent to have you escorted to the Glass room where all weapons cases are placed. The third kiosk question if answered yes, indicates you traveled on rural farmlands including game areas for hunting and your receipt will show a black circle. They will also be interested in having your footwear available for treatment when you get your bow. For Bows your passport, kiosk receipt, etc is placed in a clear envelope with green borders. Blue for rifles. There will be some other customs ladies collecting these and escorting all the hunters for whom she has envelopes to baggage claim where they direct you to collect you bag then get in line at the glass room door facing the baggage carousel. The don't tell you that once there are sufficient number of customs agents in the glass room they will want to get all the bow cases taken care of first followed by the rifle hunters. Don't be afraid to ask about having a bow vs rifle since announcements are not made overhead you have to listen when the open the door to call for bows first. Once inside they will inspect your opened bowcases and treat the footwear you provide to them while your bow is being inspected. Once cleared you are on your way.

05-Jul-17
Not sure why my post from June 29 was reposted above since i did not reply to last post???

05-Jul-17
Why are shoes such an issue in the "Atlanta Shakedown" not clothing or equipment? They too have been on game farm and around wildlife. Often wondered about this.

05-Jul-17
Just a superficial attempt to reduce contaminants in the African soil from entering the US.

• Sitka Gear