Sitka Gear
Food Plot Program 2017
Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
Glats109 05-Apr-17
05-Apr-17
My main QDM property is 75 acres in the Catskill Mountains of NY. We have a surprising amount of agriculture in the area. Mainly a corn & alfalfa rotation.

My property is 25 acres of mature hemlock, 10 acres of old pasture (honeysuckle), 37 acres of hardwoods and around 2-3 tillable acres. All of my soils have been limed and fertilized. My PH on all plots is inbetween 6-7.

Camper field 1 Acre:

This plot is closest to the road. Last year I did a mixture of purple top turnips, radish and rapes. This plot saw little to no early season draw. What was surprising to me was how it was used when it was. It was used around 3-4pm almost as a pass threw. The deer did not use this as a destination plot. They really started taking to the brassica around january.

2017: My original plan was to get some soybeans in this plot to try and restore some nitrogen. Last year I had mixed results with soybeans. Awesome early and late season but was pretty much vacant for the rut. Im curious if im better off just getting a plow down clover frost seeded and then retill come august with a mixture such as grandpa rays grains and greens.

My second plot is a plot that I have turned an area of bush honeysuckle into a foodplot surrounded by cover. Presently its around .2 acres of round up ready alfalfa. This weekend we rented a bobcat and we will be expanding it to almost 3/4 of an acre. I would like to plant a mixture of radish, kale and turnp as per Pats suggestion in this plot.

honeyhole plot 1 acre. I harvested a 9 point outside of this plot two years back, Its planted in perennial white clovers (alsike & ladino), I havent been completely in love with clover on this property. All summer long it is loaded with deer but come bow season it seems like the cold weather sends the clover into dormancy and it doesnt have much draw. Im uncertain if I should leave the plot in the clover that is already doing well or take advantage of the nitrogen filled soil and convert it to an annual. I really feel like this plot is the most crucial to my hunting success as all of my travel corridors come and go from this plot.

This past year I also planted all of my travel corridors in alsike & white dutch clover. I also did many hinge cuts (with help) to help guide the deer down these corridors.

Green Mile: The green mile is a small staging area that leads to the honeyhole. Last year I used a BOB mix and it had little to no draw. This is a small area, maybe around 1/10 of an acre tops. The corridors leading to it are planted in clover, i was thinking maybe chicory for this?

Going forward I plan on seeding all of my annuals with clover for the following spring as a plow down. Any brassica fields will be seeded with berseem or red clover as a plow down as well.

My main concers are the camper and honey hole plots. I cannot decide if I should try the soybeans or if I should just go with a clover as a plow down. Secondly, should i leave the honeyhole in clover despite the corridors being planted in clover?

Thanks for the help

• Sitka Gear