Paul@thefort 19-Apr-17
Beav 19-Apr-17
Native Okie 19-Apr-17
Dan Mallia 20-Apr-17
SJJ 20-Apr-17
Paul@thefort 20-Apr-17
Carcajou 20-Apr-17
06-Apr-17
I guess if you hunt turkeys long enough, the number of toms keep mounting up. Some of you might remember how many trips I took to Nebraska last year. Yea, four. I tried with my recurve bow and wearing my Gillie suit to try something different. The hunt would have been over the first morning but I missed a chip shot at 10 yards. Finely on the forth trip using my compound bow and a HeadsUp decoy I was charged by a big tom and had to kill him at 15 yards in self defense. So this year I decided to try again and LOADED up the truck with every thing but the 'kitchen sink', so to speak.

06-Apr-17
Paul,,Good luck, have fun and be safe. Looking forward to hearing a story. Ed

06-Apr-17
Anticipation!

06-Apr-17
Anticipation!

06-Apr-17
One of my favorite threads of the year! Hope you had a great trip Paul! Looking forward to your tale!

06-Apr-17
Good luck Paul, although I highly doubt you'll be needing any!

06-Apr-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
A gobble for sure in the distance
A gobble for sure in the distance
ONe has to give Nebraska a lot of credit for developing a three week long, bow hunting only for turkey and prior to the gun season. A hunter can purchase up to 3 tags, at a cost of $109 EACH,. and also a one time $25 Habitat Stamp. I purchase only one tag. So last Tuesday at o"dark thirty I leave the house for the 5 hour trip over to my hunting grounds on SWA. I want to arrive right at pre-light so I can hear any toms sounding off still in their roost trees. I arrive right on time and hear a few toms gobbling. That evening I set up the blind and wait for returning birds to their roost areas. Around 6pm I see a hen at the edge of the field 50 yards away, and then off to her side a tom but he is staring in my direction very intensely. All of a sudden , they bust out and run away. I thought. 'what was that all bout'. I glanced the other way and two deer step out into the field. I bet they spooked the turkeys. O'well. I sleep in the truck and am back in the blind before first light.(WED morning) The only tom I hear is 500 yards away and he flies out a long ways and lands out in the bushy/short grass hillside and over the boundary of the state land. I access the situation and decide to pick up and head to another 100 miles east to another SWA.

I do the drive and after a brief lunch, arrive at the state land and check out a few spots were I have been successful in the past. One area, no good sigh. Another area, a parked truck. I drive down the dirt road one half mile and pull off in a clearing where I have camped and truck camped before. It is now 2 pm. I make the decision to set up the blind in a food plot a half hour hike and then return to have dinner and just hang around, or maybe walk the dirt road and listen for turkey sounds. While back at the truck another hunter stopped by and we chatted for nearly an hour. It is now 4pm. He leaves. It had been a very windy day but now the wind speed was diminishing and it might just be a good evening to set in the blind. I could still listen for turkey sounds so I picked up the recurve bow and a bag of decoys and I am in the blind shorty after. What a great evening for a hunt. WED EVENING. Wait, what was that sound off in the distance?

06-Apr-17

Now only 10 yards from the decoys but not coming fast. Just taking their time.
Now only 10 yards from the decoys but not coming fast. Just taking their time.
I check my watch, 5pm. My Quaker Boy box call sends out some tantalizing hen cackles and is answered by a double gobble. I wait, not wanting to over play my hand. Five minutes later I activate the box call again: another gobble but his time closer. I make sure my camera is in a good place for action if needed. I pick up my recurve bow and aim and draw a few times at my Jake decoy 10 yards away. I remember last year when I missed a 10 yards chip shot. I see movement to my right at the edge of the field 40 yards away. These two toms step out and spy the decoy setup. 5:32 PM.

06-Apr-17

the tom hit the ground without much of a quiver, and then dropped his head
the tom hit the ground without much of a quiver, and then dropped his head
it had all happened so fast that the other tom did not know how to react except just stand there
it had all happened so fast that the other tom did not know how to react except just stand there
it took him 10 minutes to finely leave, still looking back to see if his buddy was coming along. NOT!
it took him 10 minutes to finely leave, still looking back to see if his buddy was coming along. NOT!
I have tried in the past to keep the camera in hand and take pictures of the tom (s) right at the decoys BUT, just can not seem to do that, and here again, I put the camera down and picked up the bow. The two toms are now right at the jake decoy and slightly pushing up against it. Ten yards away, a grand sight for sure. I draw, pick a spot on the largest one and release in one smooth action. WACK!!!!!

06-Apr-17
Love it! Thanks Paul for your time to write it up for us!

06-Apr-17

06-Apr-17
Sweet!

06-Apr-17

Number 45 down and out. Thanks for following along my best, Paul
Number 45 down and out. Thanks for following along my best, Paul
HERO SHOT

06-Apr-17
Good stuff Paul!

06-Apr-17
Good job Paul ! Great pics too !

06-Apr-17
Way to go Paul!

06-Apr-17
Awesome! Well done and fantastic pics!

06-Apr-17
Beautiful, Paul! Congratulations and great shooting!

06-Apr-17
Way to go Paul! Congrats on number 45. I only wish it had taken longer so we could enjoy more pictures and story telling :) Good luck back home!

06-Apr-17
Nice job, good pictures. Congratulations on a gobbler with your recurve. Thanks for sharing with us.

06-Apr-17
Well done Paul !

06-Apr-17

I would guess that this tom was a 3 year old, right at 20#, 9 in beard, one inch spurs but sharp. I was GLAD to remove him from the peck order :). A two day hunt. Not nearly enough time to get the "turkey bug" our on one's system. I thought about purchasing another tag but did not, as I can redirect the $109 towards my Nebraska deer tag. I will be mentoring a young girl on here first archery turkey hunt towards the end of April so maybe I will get a change in Colorado for another turkey hunt.

I hope my story gets you guys fired up as I know in some states the season as not started yet. They are out there strutting, so go get them. my best, Paul

06-Apr-17

I would guess that this tom was a 3 year old, right at 20#, 9 in beard, one inch spurs but sharp. I was GLAD to remove him from the peck order :). A two day hunt. Not nearly enough time to get the "turkey bug" our on one's system. I thought about purchasing another tag but did not, as I can redirect the $109 towards my Nebraska deer tag. I will be mentoring a young girl on here first archery turkey hunt towards the end of April so maybe I will get a change in Colorado for another turkey hunt.

I hope my story gets you guys fired up as I know in some states the season as not started yet. They are out there strutting, so go get them. my best, Paul

06-Apr-17
Great job Paul!! Thanks for the post and pics!

Nice shot too!

06-Apr-17
Great story and pics Paul! Thank you for sharing! U r at 45...I am at zero, hoping for 1 in Idaho! It takes us over 9 yrs in Alberta to get drawn, so we look elsewhere.

06-Apr-17

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Great job, Paul! Right now I'm not too far from where you were but my birds are still basically in two big flocks of 50-75. Not much gobbling. Have passed up a bunch of jakes but no shot at a tom yet. Lots of time left!

06-Apr-17
Great job Paul! I really like killing a turkey with a recurve! It is so invigorating to call one in to 10-15 yards and thwack, bird down! What a rush.

06-Apr-17
Great recap of the hunt Paul. Congrats on the tom.

06-Apr-17
Congrats on the recurve kill Paul! Only 1 tag?

07-Apr-17
Congrats Paul! Great story...thanks for sharing.

07-Apr-17

Ben, "what a rush" with the recurve, that is a good bet. The majority of the toms I have killed have been with the compound bow and while most were killed within 20 yards of the blind, it surely is a pleasure to have them only 8-10 yards away and in most cases, a "slam dunk" with the stick. Using the recurve bow has sort of brought the "hunt" back into turkey hunting but do not get me wrong, I have not stored away the compound bow.

07-Apr-17
I am reading this driving thru WY headed to Nebraska ! This just got me even more excited ! Congrats on number 45! Hunt

07-Apr-17
Hey Hunt, yea I sort of wish I was still out there but then I can change my mind tomorrow or the next, or the next, etc. Have fun and good luck. Paul

07-Apr-17
Congrats Paul....and thanks again for the pics and story!

07-Apr-17
Nice job Paul!

07-Apr-17
Congrats on a great bird and hunt. God Bless

07-Apr-17
Nicely done Paul....congrats!!

Mark

07-Apr-17

bowcrazyJRHCO's embedded Photo
Morning set up.
bowcrazyJRHCO's embedded Photo
Morning set up.
Paul, great job. I'm in NE now trying to get # 2 for the year. Terrific pictures, I'm need to snap few when birds are on the way in.

07-Apr-17
Thanks guys, I was asked what BH did I use. I had just purchased 6 VPA for elk and deer hunting so I had a few 125 gr. Montex 5 BHs to use up. As you may know I have been using NAP Shock Wave Mech BH out of my compound bow for years with good results but prefer cut on impact BH for turkeys with the recurve bow. As you can see, they did the trick. Where did I aim? Dead center on the body mass knowing that there were 4 inch of feathers over its spine when the tom is in strut.

Another observation was made concerning the two sticks in the ground on both sides of the Jake's tail. Those are to keep the jake decoy from spinning around but placed far enough from the tail to allow some back and forth movement caused my the wind. The Jake decoys was facing the blind and the two turkeys came in from its left side and slightly behind but ended up right on his left shoulder. The bedded hen, I just place a stick in the ground and place it over it to keep it in place. The two toms did not circle around to the front to be head on and face to face. It was interesting to watch them approach in a sort of stealth- full mode, feeding along as they came closer until they were within a few feet of the decoy and then they made their move. They were not real aggressive at first, just some light pushing but I am sure, that would have changed if the arrow had not interrupted their challenge. I have had in the past a tom that came charging in and then like this time, more reserved at first. Anyway, tons of fun and like always, looking forward to the next hunt. my best, Paul

07-Apr-17
Thanks for sharing your story Paul and congrats! We head to the woods here in MO tomorrow for the youth turkey hunt.

--Mitch

07-Apr-17
Good Stuff Paul, Good Stuff!

Looks like a great time!

God Bless,

Scar.

07-Apr-17
Well done Paul. Congats

07-Apr-17
Congrats. Good luck to you this season. I have about a month to wait.

07-Apr-17
Another great adventure, thanks for bringing us along again and congrats sir!

07-Apr-17
Paul, i was already fired up, just got donr packing for NE youth opener tomorrow and picking up my son after school. I also drew a Beaver Creek SWA tag here in CO, so thanks for taking it up a notch for me! I hope to video tape MJs hunt this year.

07-Apr-17
I tried just buying one tag in Nebraska before too Paul. I even left the state once with only one bird but turned right around and went back. Just too much fun.

07-Apr-17
Congrats paul.

Glad you got it done before HUNTMAN showed up...... Last known turkey in Nebraska headed east rapidly.

Good luck on the youth hunt. Our nearest youth hunt still one week out... we will be ready.

07-Apr-17
That is awesome Paul!

07-Apr-17
NE has a cool new app so you can buy more tags on your phone. Right from the blind. Except for Paul, who has a corded rotary dial phone.. :-)

07-Apr-17
Lou, give me the $109 you owe me and I will purchase another tag. What phone? I still use "smoke" signals. ( I do believe it is legal here in Colorado but maybe not Nebraska)

08-Apr-17
Paul, you need to talk Pat into paying you a little for all this fantastic material you share on the Bowsite. Then you could afford that extra tag and maybe even a used flip-phone!

08-Apr-17
Great job, story and pics!

08-Apr-17
Congrats Paul and thanks for sharing again. You and Lou are two of the best on Bowsite. You both share many great write ups with awesome pics, lots of encouraging words and just the right amount of humor. Thanks again, Jeff.

08-Apr-17
Good work Paul! I'm itching to get out there. My season starts on the 24th.

08-Apr-17
congrats

08-Apr-17
Congrats Paul! I just killed my first 2 turkeys (Rios) but I'm gonna try Magnus Bullheads next time. I didn't have goodluck with my Slic Trics, I had to shoot my first bird twice. Take care Paul.

08-Apr-17
Awesome Paul thanks for sharing.

08-Apr-17
Congrats Paul, great hunt! Gets me fired up for my Michigan hunt.

08-Apr-17
Fantastic Paul.....Thanks for the inspiration!!!!!

08-Apr-17
Good job with the stick, Paul!

08-Apr-17
Great stuff as always Paul:) Always enjoy it! Congrats.

09-Apr-17
good job.

09-Apr-17
On the plane flying home from P&Y Convention and guess what's next?? Turk hunt! Thanks for getting me stoked!!! C

09-Apr-17
Congrats Paul! Thanks for sharing.

09-Apr-17
STOKED! thanks, hope you do well this season. paul

19-Apr-17

interesting application of photo

19-Apr-17
Paul I missed this thread earlier. Congrats on the bird and thanks for the great recap of the hunt. Take care.

19-Apr-17
Good work again, Paul. Enjoyed the read as much as the story in person.

20-Apr-17
Very cool Paul, thanks for sharing!

20-Apr-17
Is that Recurve a RER Arroyo Paul?

20-Apr-17
SJJ, the recurve bow is a Great Plains bow,model Cazador with yew limbs. 55#. Company located in Texas and now under new ownership but the original owner Tom, did a great job not only making but promoting . I won this bow at the CBA Jamboree in a drawing, a few years back and this year, I will be using it to elk hunt. Thanks for the question. Paul

20-Apr-17
Thanks Paul, for the inspiration as our season up here is still 2 weeks away, way to go, my friend!

• Sitka Gear