Beendare 07-Apr-17
Jim B 07-Apr-17
Trial153 07-Apr-17
LINK 07-Apr-17
x-man 07-Apr-17
ohiohunter 07-Apr-17
Glunt@work 07-Apr-17
07-Apr-17
The shafts I've shot for the last ten years are .003 straightness tolerance but I'm going to try something different. The shafts I'm looking at getting are the gold tip kinetic @ .006 for 9$/shaft or the gold tip kinetic kaos @ .0025 for 14$/shaft . These are the same exact shafts except for straightness tolerance. My question is will an average archer notice a difference between the two?

07-Apr-17
No

07-Apr-17
No you will not. Not will field points for sure.

07-Apr-17
What about a shooter that can shoot a 2" group at 70 yards? Not me btw.

07-Apr-17
Good question. Cause thats not me either.

07-Apr-17
I've seen ermine post up groups like that at 80, maybe he'll respond.

07-Apr-17
I'm not 2" at 70yds, but there was a noticeable difference in my groups when I went to 0.001's, carbon express 3d selects to be exact. I also have the most robin hoods w/ those shafts.

07-Apr-17
I don't think the average archer will notice the difference, especially at short yardage (30-40). BUT since I can afford the "better" arrow I get them. I think they have better spine/weight tolerance too.

07-Apr-17
I make up my arrows; when I buy bare shafts I always spin them and turn the nocks to have the high/low point the same for all of them...not that it may make a difference but a variable I have control of anyhow. I've shot different arrows with regard to straightness and have never noticed a difference in group. However, my variability is probably greater than theirs! I've always wanted to shoot different arrows with a machine e.g. a Hooter Shooter but don't have access to one. The problem with not using a machine may be the placebo effect. From what I've read, spine difference has a far greater effect than straightness. All that said, I shoot Beman .006"

07-Apr-17
I like the .003" shafts.

I think where most guys make the mistake is in arrow assembly. Your Broadhead could be off three 1000's and it's very difficult to tell if all you do is spin them on a table. .003" over 28" is nuthin..... but on the first 1.5" of your hunting arrow with bh.... its a lot!

Straighten your arrows in a jig and you'll be shocked at how much better and consistent you're hunting arrows are

07-Apr-17
That's a good message there,Beendare.

07-Apr-17
I like to start my arrow builds with the best shafts I can for the application. I can't see using a less straight shaft to save a couple dollars. All my shafts are .001 or .003.

07-Apr-17
Trial I understand completely. I'd love to own the best but with 3 kids and a stay at home wife a difference of 100$ and 250$ for the .001 is abig deal for me. I could buy the most expensive arrows, backpacks, and clothes but then I couldn't go on an elk hunt. I'll choose cheaper equipment as long as it's adequate so that I can hunt more. I just ordered the .006, if they don't work I have the old ones to fall back on.

07-Apr-17
Having been there to see the manufacturing process, I can tell you that "most" of the straightness variations occur in the ends of the shaft. If you cut an inch off of both ends before you build, your .006 shafts become .003 shafts.

"most of the time"

07-Apr-17
Same goes for barrels

07-Apr-17
I've killed a bunch of critters with shafts where the number was in the hundredths instead of the thousandths. Cedar, fir, birch, etc :^). I know, not relevant, just rambling.

• Sitka Gear