Charlie Rehor 19-Apr-17
ND String Puller 19-Apr-17
ND String Puller 19-Apr-17
btb 22-Apr-17
willliamtell 23-Apr-17
07-Apr-17

btb's embedded Photo
btb's embedded Photo
I put this on the elk forum because I hopefully be packing one out in September. On March 8th I had a bicycle accident and smashed my T-12 vertebrae and ruptured the L-3 and L-4 and L-4 and L-5 disks. On April 14th I will get a vertebroplasty on the T-12 and shots in the disks. Hopefully the pain will be gone and I can hunt again.

07-Apr-17
Good Luck Brother! Prayers and good wishes your way for sure!

God Bless,

Scar.

07-Apr-17
Good luck and I will be thinking of you.

In 1988, I was in a treestand that collapsed and I had a compression fracture 20%. Luckily I didn't experience disk damage or worse. I am hunting today but my back is still susceptible to setbacks.

07-Apr-17
Ouch! good luck on the repair and future hunting. Paul

07-Apr-17
Good luck man, remember all you can control from here is your attitude and your effort during rehab.

07-Apr-17
Best of luck. Time to find a young hunting partner with a strong back.

07-Apr-17
Oh dear Bruce! Praying for full recovery, please keep me posted.

Let me know when you're ready for help packing an elk, as I probably owe you one ;o)

Carl

07-Apr-17
Last May, I fractured my T-12, L-1, L-2, and aggravated the discs previously injured below there. Did not need surgery but did have injections in the discs. The pain is nearly gone but I have some numbness in my left thigh. I have to be careful with lifting, twisting, etc. My hunting season was somewhat subdued.

Good luck to you.

07-Apr-17
dang bro. I hate that

07-Apr-17
I ride a bike a lot too. How did your accident happen?

07-Apr-17
Well you see, he was riding his bike along the road and noticed a sasquatch chasing a deer...

07-Apr-17
Sorry to read about your misfortune. If it involved an auto, I hope they paid a LOT. Been there myself with a low back vertebra compression fracture. Do ALL the rehab, stretching/excercising. Recommend making it a daily routine for the rest of your life. Core strength is key - gotta support that spine. Neutral back position exercises. It's a long road - keep your head down and just do it. Pain can be managed.

Interestingly, after over a decade of some level of discomfort, on the advice of a friend I went to a NUCCA chiropractor and after 2 weeks the pain was pretty much GONE. Give it a try - NUCCA features non traumatic adjustment (with an interesting theory behind it). It worked great for me.

I have never taken a year off hunting, though as a recall I wasn't hitting it real hard or lugging much weight the first year. You definitely will want sherpas. Work with your PT, and listen to your body. You should have a pretty good idea ahead of time what your body can handle. My advice is stay conservative for the first year, backs are tricky, and you don't want to spasm in the middle of your hunt. Longer term, a quality, well-fitted backpack support weight on your hips, below your spine. Imo you definitely want to minimize or avoid upper body weight-bearing exercise.

07-Apr-17
Sorry man, back problems are the pits. Hopefully, you'll have a full recovery !

07-Apr-17
Ive been living with back pain for 30 years. Had surgery 30 years ago, then blew another disc out 10 years later. Bone spurs and arthritis has be grumpy So I pray that you heal well. If youre young , get in all the hunting you can now!

07-Apr-17
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

08-Apr-17
I broke my l-1 vertebrae in November 2007 when I cut a tree down on myself. I packed an elk off a mountain that next fall with no issues. U should be fine. I have had virtually no pain since it healed and that's been ten years. I know how bad it hurts now but it will subside. I wish you the best of luck with the recovery of the back and a big bull this fall!

08-Apr-17
Ouch! Never give up. I cant think of a better goal to set then packing out an Elk.

09-Apr-17
I broke my back 4 years ago the summer I was to go to Alaska for my first moose hunt, broke it on April 14th, I was in a back brace most of the summer and got the brace off middle of July. While I had the brace on I did as much leg exercise as possible, indoor bike, up and down the staircase and walking a lot, I couldn't do anything with upper body or arms. I also scheduled rehab with a PT right after the accident because it takes so long to get in, as soon as the brace was off I was into PT rehab for the end of July. In August I took an exercise class 3 times a week for 4 weeks, I couldn't do everything the class did but I did what I could, it was a mental challenge for sure, oh and lots of swimming. I went to Alaska in September and didn't have any real issue to speak of, I am not sure if it was a blessing or not but I didn't get a moose, I did however have a great hunt. Work hard, stay focused and do what they tell you, good luck!

09-Apr-17
Recover well and smart!

Prayers for ya man

Good luck, Robb

09-Apr-17
On April 3, 2010 I fell 17 ft. out of a tree trimming limbs. Broke L1,L2, L3, L4. Was in a brace for 8 weeks and off work for 4 months. Dr. wanted to put in rods and screws. I asked him what would he do if it was him, he said he would wait to see if it would heal on its own first, so that is what I did. Like mrelite I did a lot of therapy, a lot of treadmill and elliptical. In sept. went on an elk hunt w/ an outfitter I already had booked and road 6 miles in on a mule to camp. ( outfitter said a mule would be easier to ride due to its gate) Hunted 9 days w/ no problems to speak of. I did not take pain meds after 3 day. But toke 2 ibuprophen at bed time to relax muscles to help get to sleep. Did not get an elk, but passed on a cow. Went back out in 2013 and shot a 5 pt. the first 45 minutes of the hunt. The outfitter (Dan Harrison) was great. I pay every day for that fall but I am active and life goes on. Just adjust. Go have fun.

09-Apr-17
Some bike wreck, good luck with your recovery.

10-Apr-17
Lets us lift up a prayer to the Lord God of all creation for you, that you maybe healed and your suffering be relieved. Amen

10-Apr-17
Heal quickly!!!

14-Apr-17
I had the Kyphoplasty procedure this morning and all went well. I was awake through the whole thing. The worst part was breaking into the vertebrae, he used a needle that resembled a knitting needle and a hammer. It took 20 blows to get through and he was not gentle. Once in, he inflated a balloon to bring the bone back to its original shape then shot in cement. So far the pain is gone.

15-Apr-17
Great news!!!!!!!! keep at it!!!!

17-Apr-17
Good to hear Bruce, pls keep us posted. Carl

17-Apr-17
Prayer sent buddy, take care and good luck.

17-Apr-17
Good luck. I had Ulnar never transposition surgery in DEC and still have not recovered. I am able to shoot again but tingling in the fingers and numbness in the elbow still exists:(

19-Apr-17
Definitely keep us posted.

19-Apr-17
Amazing what these "Body Mechanics" (Doc's) can do. Best of luck! C

19-Apr-17
Glad to hear your on the mend! I had back surgery 2 years ago, definitely puts the important things in life back into perspective! Family,Elk Hunts,etc. :) No more snowmobile trips for this guy. I read the title of you post and thought of this clip, it's a classic. Get well man! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GP_0BhCw2rg#

19-Apr-17

ND String Puller's Link

22-Apr-17
Seems like the T-12 repair is a success. Now I will get shots in the L-3 and L-4 and L-4 and L-5 disks on May 4th. I should be pain free after that. Thanks to medicare and my supplement it is zero out of my pocket.

23-Apr-17
btb, taking it head on - good on you. Conscious heavy work on the body is a weird feeling eh? Do you have the ability to multiple days/week rehab once you get to that phase?

• Sitka Gear