muzzy 10-Apr-17
spike78 10-Apr-17
muzzy 10-Apr-17
muzzy 10-Apr-17
spike78 10-Apr-17
spike78 10-Apr-17
Deafbowhunter 10-Apr-17
08-Apr-17
After Hoyt, what is the greatest bow company. :)

08-Apr-17
Probably one of the many bow makers that make bow without such a horribly squishy back wall.

08-Apr-17
If you are not shooting Mathews you will not kill anything or win any tournaments or 3D shoots.

08-Apr-17
I apologise to Peco for any disparaging remarks I may have made in the past.

He is obviously very wise!!

08-Apr-17
Ohhh, I had a little trouble figuring out where you were going with this, then I had the aha moment and realized you were talking about bow companies that make bows that can double as boat anchors! Nothing compares to a Hoyt in that sense! ??

08-Apr-17
Probably Mathews and then who knows after that.

08-Apr-17
I agree, Mathews comes in after Hoyt.

08-Apr-17
They all have parts that could possibly fail, so there's no room for that in my tree stand…

(Doesnt matter who is next, if it aint a Hoyt, it aint nuthin...)

08-Apr-17
Yeah, a few buddies bought Hoyts and kept going on about how soft and warm it was in their hands.

They went back to Mathews and when they want that Hoyt feeling, they just stick a hand down their pants.

08-Apr-17
You first couple of guys are just trolling my thread. Thanks for getting us back on track Matt.

08-Apr-17
"They all have parts that could possibly fail, so there's no room for that in my tree stand…"

Were you trying to be ironic?

08-Apr-17
Wasnt sure if it would land

08-Apr-17
Black Widows are even more over rated then Hoyts. If you want a good stick bow then Stalker, Caribow and a few others. Scooby

08-Apr-17
He has spoken. Mathews it is. Glad there's no disagreement there.

08-Apr-17
Makes the best bow or sells the best bow? I choose Darton for making and Mathews for selling.

08-Apr-17
Words like Darton will leave the youngins scratching their head.

08-Apr-17
Elite ! Because it's, well......elite !

( and that would be at no. 1, well in front :)

08-Apr-17
Ohio I don't know if I'm young(33). My first bow was a Darton. Loved that thing, shot lights out whisker biscuit and all.

08-Apr-17
i'm scratching my head cuz I don't know why you'd want to shoot anything but a hoyt...

09-Apr-17
You're younger than me but not 20's young. I used to drool over the darton viper, seems darton faded with overdraws.

09-Apr-17
"seems darton faded with overdraws."

naaaa..... they just sold their patents to Hoyt..... =D

09-Apr-17
Trick question....since Hoyt is last on the greatness list no bow comes after them.

09-Apr-17
I remember a Bowtech commercial filmed in Hoytland USA.

Darton is still around.

09-Apr-17
If yer not first, yer last.

Reese Bobby

09-Apr-17
Where's cityhunter and his hatred of Elite? Personally, sold all my Hoyt's after 30 years of owning them and drank the Elite koolaid.

09-Apr-17
Mathews may be loud but they sure are slow! :)

09-Apr-17
U guys need to get serious...;^)

09-Apr-17
I think Bear comes before Hoyt. And Pearson is right up there too. Without those two archery would be a lot different.

09-Apr-17
Bear archery, Damen Howatt, Black Widow, Samick make some decent recurves and long bows.

I have been shooting a Bowtech for 8 years now, happy with it. All my buddies shoot Matthews, one complains about how sllllooooowww it is. A brother in law shoots Hoyt and wounds a nice P&Y just about every other year :(, but did the same thing with his other bows too.

My son was outshooting a girl using an Olympic Hoyt set-up last week. He is shooting a 70s era Shakespeare recurve , hunting set-up given to him by his uncle...

It all comes down to the athlete, their level of practice and making sure the bow is set up right. Everyone has an off day too.

09-Apr-17
Seriously, Who is Hoyt??????

09-Apr-17
Hoyt Axton. Great Americana singer and songwriter back in the day. Hoyt Wilhelm. Great pitcher back in the day. Hoyt Archery, made great bows back in the day...

09-Apr-17
Not many AFTER Hoyt on the greatest bow manufacturer list. Most are BEFORE Hoyt.

09-Apr-17
I to sold all my Hoyt's after 30 years of owning them and drank the Elite koolaid.

09-Apr-17
I like my Obsession bow. Never could find a Hoyt that made me want to drop the debit card on the table.

09-Apr-17
Agree about Darton, but Darton didn't selling their patents to Hoyt. Hoyt and several companies that market a cam & half system leases the rights from Darton. I love the Darton 3800, and learning to love the new Maverick.

09-Apr-17
In order:

Mathews PSE Bowtech Elite Darton Parker Hoyt Barnett

09-Apr-17
Hoyt sucks

09-Apr-17
The air outta lungs. Yup, Bohntr, seen it many times...

09-Apr-17
PSE is on the come up. In 2017 Mathews has officially fallen to dead last on the list. Maybe some day Matt will come back and pull them out of this 8 pound 31 inch mess they keep sinking into... (It's actually sad.)

09-Apr-17
Haven't seen Xpedition posted yet...

09-Apr-17
Honestly have been looking to upgrade my bow recently and am considering many options. Shot a few different brands and models. Mathews is officially off my list after shooting the no-cam and Halon. Much better bows out there imo. Hell, my Bear mauler hits harder than both of them.

09-Apr-17
"Wasnt sure if it would land"

Only lands if the parts fail.

09-Apr-17
I keep wanting to go test some new bows and see if I can find one I like better than my Hoyt. Only problem is I'm always so busy skinning, packing, processing, and taking to the taxidermist all the stuff stuff I kill with my Hoyt!!! ;) <--- Winky face indicates attempt at humor.

09-Apr-17
Lol matt and greg

09-Apr-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
For all the Mathews shooters

09-Apr-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
and for the Hoyt guys

09-Apr-17
Ha

10-Apr-17
Was always worried i torqued my bow so much that Hoyt riser was gonna bust my wrist..... heheheh....

10-Apr-17
New bows are outrageously priced IMO. I can buy a new Kimber rifle for what most high end bows cost. The rifle holds its valve, and the bow....not so much. A PSE Mach 4 sold for about $245 when new and we thought that was crazy. Now, $1900 for a carbon whatever is insane.

10-Apr-17
I believe at least 80% of us here would not shoot a Mathews or Hoyt if we all tried out the Xpedition, Obsession, and Elite bows. I think all the big names are falling behind these days. Darton still makes some great and fast bows as well.

10-Apr-17

Bowfreak's embedded Photo
Bowfreak's embedded Photo

10-Apr-17
If it doesn't have dual static yokes you couldn't give it to me, one static yoke is better than nothing at all but 2 is the gold standard!! For me, I torque like a mother focker

10-Apr-17
"Ohhh, I had a little trouble figuring out where you were going with this, then I had the aha moment and realized you were talking about bow companies that make bows that can double as boat anchors! Nothing compares to a Hoyt in that sense! ?? "

Well Mathews outweighs just about everything nowdays. I'd take a Hoyt over a Mathews. I'd like Bowtech if I didn't fear for exploding limbs so they get third. But I sold my Hoyts for Elites, so that tells you where I stand.

10-Apr-17
Get serious...well you'll need to be to kill anything with a Hoyt :) The rest of us hardly have to try! Ha!

10-Apr-17
So far none of those mentioned even MAKE bows, just wheeled arrow launcher contraptions

10-Apr-17
"shot a rage with a Hoyt" LOLz

10-Apr-17

muzzy's embedded Photo
muzzy's embedded Photo
Spike78, 80% wouldn't shoot Mathews or Hoyt! Where did you come up with that number?

I bought a Hoyt carbon Spyder zt 34 long-drawn last September, I like the draw cycle with the z5 cam and 7 1/2 inch brace height. Very forgiving and I broke it in with a big doe on a ground stalk last November. Is it for everyone, nope. It works for me though. Lots of good bows out there including the ones you mentioned but to say 80% wouldn't shoot what we like is kinda extreme. Oh, did I mention I shoot a Hoyt!

My old Hoyt Ultra tech got me a 157 inch buck, no I didn't drown it with my boat anchor or throw it like a spear. I drew it back and placed a Muzzy 3 blade through both lungs, he didn't know what happened and only jumped a couple feet. As he stood there I was trying to nock a arrow and he trotted off 40 yards and he was down.

I admit I'm a little brand loyal.

10-Apr-17
Muzzy, I'm just trying to ruffle some feathers lol. I just meant that some are so brand loyal that they don't won't even try a different brand and some believe that their in fact no better bow than a Mathews.

10-Apr-17
Hahaha, it's all good Spike. I'm ruffling a few myself. I would like to try some different brands of bows but with a 32 inch draw not many shops around me have anything set up for long draw guys like me to try out.

My nephew and his buddys are 29 inch draw and trade off bows all the time comparing each others bows, I tried to draw a couple but really can't get the feel for them with the draw being so short.

10-Apr-17
ohiohunter, it comes with shooting a Hoyt! I'm going out to do some target shooting now, I just warned all the neighbors and told them to hide the kids and pets.

With two quivers full of arrows and a couple more arrows in my back pocket I'm sure to get one near the target, maybe even two. With 12 bales of stacked hay, a 6x6 foam backstop and a 3 foot bullseye I'm going to get a arrow in the bullseye sooner or later. Watch out turkeys, when I figure out how to hold this thing it's going to be lights out!

When I twist a Rage onto my bent arrow I won't have to pull it out of the target if I hit it, it will just bounce off and reload into my quiver.

10-Apr-17
Muzzy, that sure beats my 26.5" draw length. I have to decide between a smooth slow bow and a hard drawing speed bow to make up the difference. I settled on smooth and am at 286 fps so I guess that will do.

10-Apr-17
Ohio, I thought about going the 80lb route with an Elite since they draw smooth but decided my 71 pounds was plenty. My arrows are 360 grains. 4.5 out of an 80lb is pretty ballsy!

10-Apr-17
I've only owned two types of bow in 25 years of bow hunting and shooting in tourneys....Hoyts and Mathews. Love them both.

I did have my eyes on the Oneida Eagle bows when they were popular in the early 90's but never got around to purchase one.

• Sitka Gear