BOX CALL 09-Apr-17
wildan 09-Apr-17
Titan_Bow 09-Apr-17
sfiremedic 09-Apr-17
Fields 09-Apr-17
ahunter55 09-Apr-17
eddie c 10-Apr-17
08-Apr-17
So after 30 years or so of shooting longbows and recurves, a terrible bout of tendinitis in my bow arm elbow, has forced me to shoot a compound this year. I picked up a used Hoyt Sypder 34 for a good price, 55-65lbs. I can draw the bow with very little elbow pain compared to my most recent hunting recurve. So, now comes the time to set it up. I have been shooting and hunting with trad bows my entire life. I've never actually even shot a compound bow. As I think about how I want to set this bow up, I want to take advantage of the added range a compound bow might afford in hunting scenarios. What I'm looking for is feedback and input on a good reliable accurate sight,rest combo that is simple yet still allows for accuracy and extended range, beyond 30-40 yards. Am I crazy to go with a whisker biscuit rest? Single pin or multi? If multi, 3,5, or 7? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

08-Apr-17
Personal preference on all the above. If you can handle all them pins, and think clearly at the shot (I can't) then go with 5. I am using a single pin adjustable now and love it. I would avoid the whisker biscuit, no reason to use it. There are so many good options for drop aways now. If you're in the 55-65 lb range, a 3 pin adjustable would be perfect I think. Good luck this year with your new setup.

08-Apr-17
No you are not crazy to go with a WB rest. I have been shooting with that rest for a long time, 20 years, for all big game. Easy to use, fail safe. Recently I have applied the Montana Gold single green pin adjustable sight. No confusion when using the single pin. Does take a little time adjusting to it but in the long run, a very good choice for me.

What will you be hunting and what is your effective range?

08-Apr-17
I've recently made the same transition after 2 shoulder surgeries. I got a Mathews Chill and put a 5 pin sight on it. I use a Rip Cord fall away rest. I am very confident out to 45 yards, and am having more fun than I thought I would. Though I still feel the tug of my "real bows" I am enjoying their grandchild a lot.

TMBB

08-Apr-17
As I got older and the eyes got worse, I went from seven pin to a five pin, both Spot Hogg wrapped. Then I took one pin out of that for one bow and put a Tommy Hog three pin slider on the other bow. Unlike many guys, I use my top pin for my slider. I can just see the top pin and target much better that way.

There is such a variety of rests that it's near impossible to pick. Just replaced a Ripcord with a QAD. Not sure if one is a whole better than the other. I'm still using the ten year old Mathews "smack down" rest on my ten year old Drenalin. Has never missed a beat, but it sure seems like a brutal way to drop a rest.

Lots of limb driven fans.

08-Apr-17
I made the switch last year. Miss my recurves, but I felt I would miss my bowhunting more! Lol I think whatever you go with will be your preference, honestly. Everybody is different and they all work. I prefer a single pin slider (Apex) and NAP drop way rests. But whatever works for you. You will no doubt probably change a few things out via trial and error along the way, unless you are the exception. :-)

08-Apr-17
I am heading this direction too. been shooting stickbows for a long time now. I have been looking at used compounds but afraid I will buy the wrong one.

08-Apr-17
I recently switched back to a compound. I use a 5 pin system and picked a WB as starts. I had a drop away installed today. WB was really hard on my vanes. I used one 17-18 years ago without this problem but, according to my local shop, when bows are spitting the arrows out at 270 or better, the WB's are hard on the blazer vanes. I like the easy use of the WB and on one of my newer compounds, it does fine. On the new ballistic, it is flipping them out there. 271 fps with a 430 grain arrow. It made the blazer vanes flimsy. So, I put a QAD drop away on it today. Couldn't be happier. God Bless

08-Apr-17
"I am heading this direction too. been shooting stickbows for a long time now. I have been looking at used compounds but afraid I will buy the wrong one."

Borrow a bow or go to the local bowshop and shoot some demos, shoot them a lot. Get comfortable with the process and think about what your likes and dislikes are per individual bow. Buy used to gain familiarity as your knowledge increases so will your preference.

WB is a fine starting or lasting piece of equipment, but if you want to shoot long range as you suggest it can be more of a hindrance.

You'll get a plethora of opinions, best to put hands on.

08-Apr-17
A good drop away is hard to beat, but some good hunters ( like Paul ) put plenty of animals down with the biscuit. I never would have thought I'd like a single pin until I bought a used bow with one on it. Me likey !

08-Apr-17
I bought one after more than 40 years and decided I like it. I now have a Mathews and a Bowtech, and like the feel of the Bowtech better. Honestly, I wouldn't have bought a Mathews to start with if I'd have shot multiple bows first. Just like the feel of the other one better. I'm using QAD and Ripcord drop-aways, Black Gold sights with pins set at 20-30-40.

Not done with trad bows, just taking a "vacation" for awhile.

09-Apr-17
Go with the biscuit, it is still one of the best rests out there. I would also start out with a multiple pin sight, say 3 pins as it won't look cluttered. Once you get used to shooting that way you can decide which way to go, either single pin or add more. I have been putting off a total shoulder replacement and have not hunted as much the last couple years with my recurves either. Anything to keep you in the game. Scooby

09-Apr-17
I shoot single pin adjustable on my compound. No pins on the recurves or longbows. Had to step down to 58# on the compound shooting 46-48# on the trad stuff.

If you have to go lower I know of a several people who have killed animals with bows in the 33-38# range. Its all about the set-up and choice of good COC broadhead that flies straight and being really, really fussy about shot placement, angle and reasonable distance (inside 15-18 yds).

Good luck

09-Apr-17
Will you be working on your own bow? Some drop-aways you need a press to adjust. I lIke the WB, I can tune it myself and shoot great out to 50 yards.

09-Apr-17
If you want a simple, accurate, fail safe res,t get the Whisker Biscuit. I like 3 or 4 pins on my site. I shoot compound some, but mostly still recurves and longbows.

09-Apr-17
Like many, I decided to spend more time with a compound this year, and I'm enjoying it. I've been struggling a lot lately with the struggle stik, seems the new Halo and RK1 just isn't fitting my hand. I went with a New Breed gx1, and I'm enjoying shooting competition with it, looking forward to carrying it in the woods this fall. QAD rests, Black Gold sights, Stan thumb releases. Started playing with an offset rear stabilizer, and love how the bow balances and feels during and after the shot. Know I won't use it for hunting, but liking it now. Good luck to all that switched over. There's nothing wrong with it at all. Feels good to shoot great groups again at 40 yards...

09-Apr-17
Oh the horror! I sure hope I never have to shoot a contraption bow but would if health issues forced me to. My wife shoots both longbow and compound; really likes the WB on her contraption: has been absolutely reliable and no tinkering. Good luck.

09-Apr-17
lol...Rob, You and elknut are killing me!! I had to actually unstring and take my stiks apart to keep me from grabbing them!!

09-Apr-17
I've always used a flipper 2 and a plunger.I like old school compounds.Jennings,PSE,and martin.

09-Apr-17
Are you going to shoot compound "fingers" or release.Makes a big difference which bow/rest to recommend.

09-Apr-17
thanks for all the feedback, I think I am going to go with a Whisker Biscuit and a multi-pin sight. So, why does the Whisker Biscuit seem to not get much love? Is it because everyone wants to be like Cam Hanes and shoot 175 yards? I really like the idea of the WB as far as simplicity, so we'll see how it goes once I get it setup.

09-Apr-17
You can shoot a compound and not shoot with all the associated gadgets. For example I don't shoot with a peep site or kisser button. I shoot with a single site pin set at 30yds (shoot a little low if they're close and a little high if they're far). Shot fingers many years and just recently started using a release.

You can do it!

09-Apr-17
I shot/hunted with a recurve for over 25 years.. I made the switch 4 years ago... I still shoot a whisker biscuit and a 1 pin sight. The hardest thing I had to get used to was my form in shooting the compound out of a treestand... with the recurve, I'd "hunch" down, with the compound bend at the waist...... It took me 2 years to get out of my recurve stance... The biggest surprise to my compound shooting, was the accuracy they have. I was never a great recurve shot, hitting the exact spot, I was looking at, was a once in a while occurance... shooting with the compound, that has changed dramatically, in a good way... Good luck!

09-Apr-17

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
It's all archery. I shoot Longbow AND Compound. More compound than traditional. Your decision on sight, rest ect is your choice. I use a 5 pin, son a 3 pin. Nothing wrong with whisker for hunting (4 family members use them). As far as extending your distance beyond 40 is a thing you have to decide. I shoot fairly well (started in 1956, 20 years b/4 compounds took over). IN HUNTING & with over 100 assorted biggame with a compound my average kill has been under 25 yds.. Hunting I "rarely" even think of taking a 40 yd. shot. I see tons of archers/bowhunters at 3-Ds, field & target tournaments (I shoot many) & trust me, after 40 yds 98% of the groups really start spreading out.. Your compound will do great at longer distances BUT the one releasing the arrow must be capable & a large potion of those "thinking" they are, Are NOT..

10-Apr-17
only thing I can say is be careful with your release until you get used to it. after shooting a recurve for some time, I drew a compound to shoot it and accidently hit the trigger too soon. like to not found that arrow. I was concerned it was stuck in an AC unit or someone's house.

• Sitka Gear