joehunter8301 11-Apr-17
Hawkeye 11-Apr-17
Brotsky 11-Apr-17
Hawkeye 11-Apr-17
trkyslr 11-Apr-17
SBH 11-Apr-17
Bou'bound 12-Apr-17
10-Apr-17
I made a great shot at 6 yards. The bird walked off about 50 yards then I lost sight of him. I waited about 5 minutes and got excited. I walked to where I last saw the bird and there he was right on the edge of a big blood wall next to a creek. As soon as he saw me he ran and took off, flying across the creek. Huge blood trail leading right to where I pushed him. NO doubt in my mind if I had just waited 30 minutes he would have been dead right there. I executed everything perfectly and still blew it.

Lesson Learned. 1. ordered a prarie drifter string tracker for my THunder Child (riser too small for my gadget adapter and regular string tracker) 2. Set the timer on my phone for 30 minutes and don't move until that thing goes off.

Shot was soo good I got greedy and impatient.

10-Apr-17
It happens. I shot one in the breast last year. Last time I checked, that ain't good enough. First Tom that ever got away from me that I actually shot at with a bow. It sucks, especially since I only get to go once a year now and that was my only shot opportunity.

10-Apr-17
Sorry about the loss. Luckily both of the breast shot toms of mine were recovered but an hour to two hours later and both were still alive. One was hiding under a brush pile after flying 75 yards into a wood lot with arrow. The other ran 150 yards and hid in high grass. I jumped him and he ran another 100 yards across a cut corn field and into the woods. After an hour of searching, I found him still alive with the arrow still in him. Shot him again. They surely do not bleed much.

11-Apr-17
Lou...hard luck for sure! Did your arrow pass through? Which broadhead did u use?

11-Apr-17
I've been on a few hard to recover birds over the years. If they take off flying, walk in a straight line to a landmark in the exact line of flight of the bird. Start circles and be looking for them hunkered down under or in brush piles, logs, bushes. Look for feathers. Sometimes you may jump them again. Repeat the process.

Sorry you lost your bird.

11-Apr-17
Bummer. But, do you practice at 6 yards? Do you know how low your arrow hits at that close a range? A too low shot can look good and bleed for a while, but usually results in a lost bird. A lot of a turkey is just breast.

11-Apr-17
Bird wasn't hit as good as you think if it was still alive. Rule of thumb if a turkey runs outta sight give it at least 20-25 mins. If it's hit good you'll see it drop. If it runs outta view jus let it go lay down. A gut shot turkey rarely lives past 30 mins and usually they go 40-80 yards and lay down. Never push a bird that's hit in the chest cavity as it will die if left alone. Push em an they can go miles. Longer they lay more likely they'll let you get close enough for a second arrow if it's needed. Sorry bout losing the bird. I've been there and that's how I know what not to do anymore.

11-Apr-17

joehunter8301's embedded Photo
joehunter8301's embedded Photo

11-Apr-17
+1 joehunter

11-Apr-17
Lou, don't get too down on yourself. I know a bowhunter who has blown 15 chances at big tom's in 3 seasons. She's still smiling and ready for chance #16:) Get some payback! Sounds like you've already taken your lessons to heart!

11-Apr-17
Rest of my post didn't show. I also wanted to say Ive been there and it happens to EVERYONE in time. Such a deceiving target. Stick with it and it'll happen:)

11-Apr-17
Joebowhntr +2

11-Apr-17
Good post Joehunter. Those pics are helpful. Your point of aim is higher then I would have been thinking on those shots. I've lost two birds in the last two years though. I must be aiming too low.....

12-Apr-17
hang in there

it is a turkey................ another one will wander by shortly

• Sitka Gear