Mathews Inc.
Heads up turkey decoy--Anyone using 'em?
Turkey
Contributors to this thread:
Timbrhuntr 12-Apr-17
Bake 12-Apr-17
kscowboy 12-Apr-17
Butcher 12-Apr-17
Butcher 12-Apr-17
Paul@thefort 12-Apr-17
lewis 12-Apr-17
crazyhawksfan 13-Apr-17
crazyhawksfan 13-Apr-17
Southern draw 13-Apr-17
Brian M. 13-Apr-17
LesWelch 13-Apr-17
GRoe 13-Apr-17
Scoot 13-Apr-17
Windwalker 14-Apr-17
BOX CALL 14-Apr-17
Matt Palmquist 14-Apr-17
Matt Palmquist 14-Apr-17
Paul@thefort 14-Apr-17
Matt Palmquist 14-Apr-17
Paul@thefort 14-Apr-17
12-Apr-17
I just bought one on sale in Kansas and hoping to try it out soon. I have had good success using a fan to bring them in in fact last friday I was walking and saw a redhead down at the end of a field 100 yards away. I tucked in next to a big cedar pulled out the fan and after getting their attention with some calls I let them see the fan a few times. The next thing i knew 4 jakes were standing at 7 yards . I wasn't going to shoot a jake but I don't think I could have shot them anyway. So I bought the decoy hoping it would help out with drawing part ! Good luck let us know how it works.

12-Apr-17
I have one. I use it in Missouri for run and gun shotgun hunting. I haven't had any success on our easterns using it as a shield to move, but I've flashed it when working a hung up bird in the timber, and I've staked in the open a time or two and brought birds in. I especially like it late in the season in the fields, when the grass is high. More visibility than a regular decoy.

I've tried to crawl or move behind it a couple times with our birds. Hasn't worked out here. Maybe the birds haven't been hot enough. . . But they take off when I've tried to use it that way

12-Apr-17
I tried the Ultimate Predator Shoot-Through decoy last weekend on a bird 400 yards across and open field and it worked. I will definitely have this in the blind for "reaping" a hung-up bird. They too are a Bowsite sponsor.

12-Apr-17
I shot a bird last Sunday on a field bird about 300 yds away. At first he wouldn't commit so I crawled out too him. I crawled about 125 yds until he felt threatened. He had 2 other jakes and 2 hens. He finally got pissed and ran in to me and I shot about 25 yds. Killed 3 last year, 2 in ms and 1 in tn. These are private land birds. Have not used them on public land mostly because most of it is forest and calls work. Most field birds here that are henned up won't pay any attention to call cause they already have what they looking for

12-Apr-17

Butcher's embedded Photo
Butcher's embedded Photo

12-Apr-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
he came from 150 yards way up to 15 yards.
he came from 150 yards way up to 15 yards.
YES in Nebraska last year. Worked great.

12-Apr-17
Works for me

13-Apr-17

crazyhawksfan's embedded Photo
Crappy screen grab from the video but here's a buddy putting one to use! Brought 3 longbeards into his lap last Saturday as I sat back and ran the camera! Using bullheads he ended up hitting it low in the neck in the feathers and it was unharmed. Fun hunt tho

13-Apr-17

Crappy screen grab from the video but here's a buddy putting one to use! Brought 3 longbeards into his lap last Saturday as I sat back and ran the camera! Using bullheads he ended up hitting it low in the neck in the feathers and it was unharmed. Fun hunt tho

13-Apr-17
Great decoys and lightweight .

13-Apr-17
Anyone using them on recurves? Will a turkey avoid the decoy if it's too high? Modern bows are so short, you can keep them low, but a recurve or LB would place the deke 2' or more off the ground.

13-Apr-17
Yes, absolutely, BUT...you need to be ready. I've killed 4 bow birds inside of 5 yards. Sometimes when they commit, it's crazy fast. You're missing the boat if you are not using a HUD, IMO.

13-Apr-17

GRoe's embedded Photo
GRoe's embedded Photo
GRoe's embedded Photo
GRoe's embedded Photo

GRoe's Link
They can work very well for sure...but like anything they can have some adverse reactions. I think the best part about them is that you can take them on and off your bow and use them to fan a bird in...add movement. I have "crawled" in on birds, but use that as a last resort. Some birds are just shy. Since we've had the decoys in production for nearly 6 years we've pretty much checked off all the possible ways to kill a turkey with the Heads Up Decoy off the list.

To use them with a recurve...very functional and recurve friendly. Strap a gadget adapter to your lower limb and the bow mount bolts directly to it. Here's some pics.

13-Apr-17
My son had one of our coolest interactions with a turkey last year with a HUD. It was SO cool! Too bad he mistook 29 yards for 20!!!

photo P1060507-01_zps23snbvmu.jpeg

14-Apr-17
I've had great luck with Spin and Strut decoys and very bad luck with Wind Drifter decoys. Yesterday; on 3 different occasions I've had great Toms split when they got close to my 3 Wind Drifter decoys. It was "breezy" but the Wind Drifters jump up and down like they were dancing a jig. Very frustrating; did not look naturally at all and the big Toms knew it. The Drifters may work in a very slight breeze (5-7mph) but here in Nebraska that is rare.

14-Apr-17
JMHO,these look like a good way to get shot.I'll pass.

14-Apr-17
That is an AWESOME picture!!!

14-Apr-17
Box Call....that is understandable if you hunt in an area that is heavy timber with lots of hunters, or you are in a state where rifle is legal. Look at Scoot's picture....that is the kind of stuff that can be done using a HUD. The risk of getting shot is less there than it is hunting traditionally with 3D decoys and a shotgun imo. To each their own though. I have killed lots of birds fanning. If a vehicle ever slows I just put the decoy down and stand up.

Matt

14-Apr-17

So I can use my recurve bow and the Heads Up, I attached the decoy to a light weight tripod using hose clamps, as pictured. I extended the level of the decoy by raising the tripod mech so that I can be hidden and also my bow. The only downside will be if the wind is blowing too much then the tripod may tip over. I have yet to use this set up but it will have a future in my next turkey hunt. Paul

14-Apr-17
Love it Paul!!

14-Apr-17
I was giving the tripod blowing over issue. I am going to carry an old hunting sock and if needed, just fill it up with some dirt or stones for weight, to stabilize and hold down the tripod. A pound weight should work. Worth trying. Paul

• Sitka Gear