whipranger 13-Apr-17
Dyjack 13-Apr-17
whipranger 13-Apr-17
HDE 14-Apr-17
Brotsky 14-Apr-17
JSW 27-Sep-17
whipranger 27-Sep-17
13-Apr-17
I was lucky enough to pull a 6B tag and could use some help on where to start. Anything would help, access points (roads trails etc.), camping spots, things or places to avoid.

13-Apr-17
You really won't need much help. You can camp inside the Caldera, even backcountry now. Most places you go there will be elk there. If you don't shoot one it's usually because of two things. Either too picky or you missed! Lol

13-Apr-17
Great!!! Thanks for the info. I can't wait hoping to drive down and take a look this weekend. Not to picky but hoping for something over 300

13-Apr-17
I'd say the calderas is about the closest thing to fish in a barrel as you can get. Not to mention its the size of a folded postage stamp.

13-Apr-17
So you are the one that drew my tag!!! good luck

13-Apr-17
No he drew my tag.

13-Apr-17
Sorry guys but it feels good to be the bad guy for once

13-Apr-17
You'll get a backcountry special use pass on check in for the hunt and they give you gate combos for hunting. Then you'll be able to have 24 hour access. I believe you still need to check in and pay for entering the park + vehicle access. It won't be like shooting fish in a barrel. Especially if you have a bow tag. It will be a fun hunt. The elk don't hang out in the front meadows come hunting season, and odds are they won't let you hunt the easy to get to places anyway. Good luck! I'm jealous.

13-Apr-17
Considering it probably has the highest rate of success in the state, relatively speaking its as close as it gets to a barrel of fish.

13-Apr-17
+2 --Ken & JP...!!!

Damn him haha

Enjoy the VC my fellow bowsiter.

Good luck, Robb

PS-Ask the 'Fish in a Barrel types" about their hunt on the VC....ya know.

13-Apr-17
Congrats. It's prob as close to a elk in a bucket you'll you ever be. If you put in the effort you will have multiple shots daily. Some big bulls but most bigger bulls are in the no hunting zones. If you can pull your string on a 320+ I wouldn't pass it. Don't worry you already defeated the hardest part and that's drawing out. It's still hunting but odds are on your side 100 to 1 if you and your equipment are ready. Awesome country.

13-Apr-17
Congrats on the tag, man....you should have a blast!

13-Apr-17
You may want to call them prior to making the drive this weekend. They usually don't open the backcountry roads until the middle of may sometime. Those of us that have had the pleasure are envious......even if they don't admit it!

13-Apr-17
I've hunted there 3 times and helped on several others. I'll try to find my maps and make some notes. It is a great hunt and you have to take advantage of this opportunity. Be sure and plan to hunt the entire hunt. Which tag did you get?

13-Apr-17
I drew the first archery. What are the snow conditions in that area currently? I was lucky enough to be headed to Colorado when I got the sacred e-mail. I'm real thinking of driving down tomorrow from my familys place in Co. (approx. 3.5 hrs) to the Caldera in the am. Even if just to see the area and possibly take a walk.

13-Apr-17
Should be fine snow wise. Just keep an eye on weather. All roads are closed for winter until they decided to open them. While you're there you may as well buy your annual back country pass and whatever else, so you have less to worry about down the line. It's a beautiful place, enjoy it! If you feel like walking a lot you can get a fishing pass and fish some special trout waters within the park.

13-Apr-17
Thanks to everyone

14-Apr-17
We've had a pretty wet winter for the most part. If the summer is wet and cool, look out...

14-Apr-17
Please take lots of photos and post them on Bowsite and tell us the story of your VC elk hunt once you tag that NM giant! I dream of drawing in NM every year and so far have been disappointed every year. Let me at least live vicariously through your luck!

27-Sep-17
So how was the hunt?

27-Sep-17
Hunt was great but a bust. Hardest hunt I've ever been on for getting game in range. Sadly I lost a big bull on the tenth day. Looking at the video it's a good hit and the bull tears out on a death run, great blood trail a couple beds then after about 400yds blood just stops. Spent the next 5 days looking for any sign, smell, crows, bears but nothing.

• Sitka Gear