LINK 13-Apr-17
Buffalo1 13-Apr-17
Bowfreak 14-Apr-17
Mr.m2 29-Apr-17
Buffalo1 30-Apr-17
Mr.m2 01-May-17
Buffalo1 01-May-17
13-Apr-17
I'm interested in a scope lens. I've never used one and was curious what your guys thoughts are. I shoot a spott hogg tommy hog and it will accept a 2x or 4x. How well do lens work for hunting and which one do you think would be best? Also is there anywhere to find them where they aren't 80$?

13-Apr-17
I have 3 HHA sights and have a 4x lens on each. Wouldn't leave home without it !! Love'em !!

2 cons you must consider- dust & raindrops. However, the pros outweighs the cons. $80 is cheap. $90 is the best going price I have found for lenses, but they are worth it to me.

13-Apr-17
You will need a clarifier peep if you want a clear target.

You will not be able to hunt the first or last 15 minutes of shooting light.

I might be able to send you one to try before you buy. What is the diameter you need?

You probably won't be happy with anything that costs less than $150

13-Apr-17
Ouch!

13-Apr-17
I bought a 2 power from a guy on AT who makes them. I think it was around $35-40. Was not there best one, but I just bought it for spots during the winter to try to keep up with the target guys. Certainly helped some. I wouldn't want to use it for hunting. I am more of a hunter than target shooter so would rather save $ for better binos or something.

13-Apr-17
I think the 6x magnification lens requires a clarifier, but not the 2x or 4x.

I have never had an issue with low light conditions. With the 4x I can see hair on animals and specific dots/marks on targets very clear.

I have 70 year old eyes that have had lasik surgery and cataract surgery. Absolutely no vision issues with the 4x magnifier on sight. I personally would not spend money on a 2x magnifier.

13-Apr-17
Very nice of you x-man!

Mark

13-Apr-17
I will say my eyes a very good at the moment. Buffalo what brand of lens do you use.

13-Apr-17
Just noticed x mans offer. I didn't see it initially. It's the large spot hogg scope, I believe 2 3/8

13-Apr-17
I've tried "just about" everything out there. I used to be quite competitive (and successful) on the 3D Target circuit. I've used everything from 2X to 8X with and without clarifiers. Small peeps to large peeps.

If you hunt open areas like antelope for example, you will have better luck. If you hunt timber, you will hate having a lens. We would have difficulty finding a spot on a 3D target in the timber at 2:00 in the afternoon. I can't imagine how hard it would be 15 minutes after sundown. You can't keep both eyes open without perfect light. Looking through the peep, it's hard to tell shoulder from but.

13-Apr-17
I will measure when I get home. I might not have one that large. I've got a half dozen or so in my tool box at home. If my CR Apex 3D Scope housing is that size, you're in luck.

13-Apr-17
Thanks x man.

13-Apr-17
One thing to mention about magnification is that not only is the target magnified but your pin movement is also magnified. If you have issues allowing your pin to float, you may not like a lens.

Personally ?I would never consider a lens for hunting if my eyes were even slightly better than bad.

13-Apr-17
Bow freak you may be right, I might not like it. I don't know if they are made but I lens housing that would flip out of the way or unscrew would be nice. I like to practice at further distances but at 80-100 yards a 2 inch dot, or bigger area, is covered up by my pin. I'm not going to shoot an animal that far and could take it off to hunt. I just like the thought of fine tuning my distance practice.

13-Apr-17
May not be an issue for you, but they're not legal in some states for hunting.

13-Apr-17
Link,

I use the HHA brand lens

13-Apr-17
I have used a 0 power for hunting and a lens for target for 46 years. Whether you need a "clarifier" is dependent on your eyes, the power of the lens, and the peep hole size. To say everyone needs one is nonsense.

The combination of parts works exactly like a camera; the more powerful the lens, the smaller the peep hole required (aperture dia), which will reduce the light thru the system and create a greater depth of field. For a 20/20 person, a 2x lens (2.5 diopter) will probably clear with a .090 peep hole. For many, a 6x will require a 1/16" peep hole to clear and the light transmission is cut enough that in darker situations you can easily lose your aiming dot. The same conditions as a camera, aperture dia, and f-stop. The quality of lens also plays a part. You can test the physics by simply holding a lens at arms length then looking thru a hole made with the thumb and index finger. As the hole gets smaller, the target gets clearer.

On the other side of the spectrum, if your close vision has gone away, it can benefit your archery in that the target is clear without a peep. I have that "problem"; with a 5x lens and no peep, the target is as clear as looking thru binos. My dot has a slight blur but not enough to where I think about it. If you are worried about dot size, which I am, I use the Gunstar "crosshair" reticles as they allow me to see thru them.

Conditions for the lens use was no different than conditions on a field range or at a safari shoot like redding; Rain, sun, cloudy, etc and not a big deal but again, I've had a lens in my sight for the last 46 years.

13-Apr-17
Wapitibob,

Am sitting in dr offices today so have more time than normal to be on Bowsite.

With your experience, have you found any correlations of sight size (.019 , .029, etc.) and clarity in magnification strength of the lens, i.e. 2x vs 4x, etc.?

13-Apr-17
My biggest round lens is 1&11/16". I have a larger "D" Shaped lens, but that won't work in your SH either.

I can look through my $300 Sure-Loc Black Eagle 6X lens without a clarifier. I cannot see the target clearly enough without a clarifier through my $80 Feather Vision lens.

I do not know who makes the lens for SpotHog, but for $80 I would bet the 4X lens would need a clarifier if the peep is larger than 3/32". The 2X lens may work with an 1/8" peep, but is that really worth the trouble for anything other than target or 3D?

13-Apr-17
Feather Vision makes spot Hogg lenses

13-Apr-17
Buff,your close vision will determine the clarity of the dot/fiber provided it's on the near side of the lens.

13-Apr-17
Thanks anyways x man.

13-Apr-17
My formula that has been working for several years now: 1/4" peep sight & 4x sight lens. I have killed animals from early light to last light.

My next test is scheduled to be at night over bait with a reastat light. I hope to share my test findings and results later in the year.

14-Apr-17
Link,

I hope it works for you. Having all of these equipment choices makes it great.

29-Apr-17
I shoot a 6x for indoor and out door target . For some one new to using glass I suggest starting with a low x lens. With a higher power lens you will see a lot more movement this can cause target panic in some new shooters.

30-Apr-17
Mr.m2,

Are you using a clarifier with your 6x lens?

01-May-17
Yes

01-May-17
Thanks for feedback Mr.m2. Your situation matches everyone I've talked with using the 6x lens. For me the breaking point is the 4x lens. All I have to do is keep it clean and dry. Plus the "shakes"(pin movement) are not magnified as much.

• Sitka Gear