SDHNTR(home) 15-Apr-17
arctichill 16-Apr-17
bigred 16-Apr-17
jsgold 16-Apr-17
Big John 17-Apr-17
ki-ke 17-Apr-17
bow-hnt 17-Apr-17
15-Apr-17
First time ever to put into a draw anywere and I drew a New Mexico 16b first archery elk tag. Iam going with Wilderness outfitters. The question is what is this unit like and what type of animals does it hold.

15-Apr-17
Lots of trees, hills, snakes, spiders, mosquitoes, bears, lionscoyotes, wolves, deer, and turkeys. I'm sure a left out a few specifies.

15-Apr-17
It's a great tag! But if I may, I'd like to offer a little unsolicited adviceā€¦ Coming on here, stating that you drew one of the best tags in the country on your first try anywhere, and have no knowledge of what you have in your possession, is going to rub many guys the wrong way. Many here have done their own extensive research and applied for 10+ years without drawing that tag. Hearing what you've done is salt in the wounds. There's a protocol to this process. Do some research, show a little humility, ask specific questions that show you've done your homework and you will find that many here, myself included, will gladly lend you a hand. But with your approach, I'm afraid all you'll get are snarky responses like the one above.

15-Apr-17
Since you are going with an outfitter, I would think they'd be a great source of info.

Congrats on a fantastic tag!

15-Apr-17
All in fun. Great tag. You'll be in elk everyday. Enjoy the hunt and stop to pay attention to the bigger picture while in that unit.

15-Apr-17
Listen and do what your outfitter and guide say. Get in shape, and learn to shoot your bow. You've got a great tag, so don't waste. Get comfortable with 50 yard shots, get good at that range, and learn how and when to shoot a bull...

15-Apr-17
Saw 15B in the title and thought we were taking a trip back in time.

15-Apr-17
First, you've drawn a tag in the first nationally designated wilderness area. This means there are no roads to access the interior of the unit. You'll enter the unit from a trailhead and use the trail system to get around. The only quads allowed are the ones god gave you. So, get in shape. Be in the best shape of your life. You'll still lose weight and break down physically. Without being in top condition you'll have no chance to keep up.

Second, keep moving until you hear elk. Then go get em. It won' take long. They'll be bugling so if you're not hearing them you're probably not near em.

Third, no cell service. So if you want to communicate with the outside world (yuk) rent/get sat phone.

Lastly, your guide knows all this. Use them.

You were very lucky to draw this tag. Take full advantage of the incredible opportunity.

15-Apr-17
Thanks for all the info. Iam sorry that i rubbed people the wrong way didnt mean to at all. I relized this is a very hard tag to get. I was given my outfitter from lots of recomendations and this is the unit he hunts. I have hunted elk before all diy and have saved lots of money and worked lots of overtime to do this bucketlist hunt. I am already getting in shape have lost 15 lbs and shooting good . Again sorry for hurting peoples feelings didn't mean to. All the luch to all of yall and greatly appreciate your help.

15-Apr-17
Best of luck, bigred! Come back and post some pics!

15-Apr-17
Geese, what an attitude to demand the guy almost apologize for getting a good tag. His post was entirely innocent.

15-Apr-17
You only rubbed one guy the rest of us are happy for the luck of the draw. Enjoy the hunt and as was mentioned your guide should be able to put you on elk. Getting in elk shape is important.

15-Apr-17
It's all good man. No bad blood. Wish you the best.

16-Apr-17

arctichill's embedded Photo
arctichill's embedded Photo

arctichill's Link
I started hunting the backcountry of that unit at 12 years old [for turkey]. I killed my first elk in there with a bow at 15 years old. I love it more than words can describe.

Although the NM draw has beaten me to a bloody, pulp the last two years, I'm excited for you. I can [and do] jump in the truck and be at my favorite wilderness boundary within 6 hours. 16B is where I am truly at home. Whether it is your first time applying or you've applied a hundred times, I'm excited that you get to visit the area that helped grow me to be who I am today.

Here's a post I wrote in 2010 about a turkey hunt in that unit. If nothing else, it should illustrate how passionate I am about that area. I'm confident you'll give the area thw respect it deserves.

16-Apr-17
Thanks for info. Artichill the area sounds awsome and i wish i lived close to public areas i could visit instead of all private land in Texas. The area will be respected. And to all good luck on all hunts.

16-Apr-17
Artichill....sent you a PM.

17-Apr-17
PM sent

17-Apr-17
bigred

Great tag! I've hunted the unit a number of times over the years and twice with Curtis. He is an interesting character....in a good way!

PM me if you're interested in the details.

Have a great hunt!

17-Apr-17
Great unit, big elk! One of my most fun hunts, should of had a 7x7.... Lost of lava rock, wears on you. I was in big herds every day, lots of eyes , watching you, I named the bull Stewie, he saw me every day and could care less he wanted those cows! I screwed up so many times..... Went home with great memories and no elk. One more thing the nats and mosquitos were relentless, lol Straight shooting!

• Sitka Gear