IdyllwildArcher 18-Apr-17
Candor 18-Apr-17
t-roy 18-Apr-17
JohnB 19-Apr-17
midwest 19-Apr-17
Charlie Rehor 19-Apr-17
orionsbrother 19-Apr-17
15-Apr-17
I just returned from a scouting trip in Arizona for Coues deer. This was a new unit for me. I now have a couple good spots in a couple different units and really like the idea of hunting out of a tree.

Most of the areas, the trees will not be climbable with my Summit climber. So, I'm looking for two things:

First, I'd like a portable hang-on stand. My spots are 1/2 mile to 3 miles into the mountains so for the first stand, I'd like something that was as light-weight and portable as possible, no matter the price. I love my Summit because it's very comfortable and not too heavy, but I feel like it's not that easy to lug around and is a bear to take more than a mile - besides the fact that you need a tree with a straight trunk that doesn't have huge limbs or a V-shaped main bough more than 8 feet up. I've also found that it's limited in the west by large trees.

Secondly, I'd like some hang ones that are also light-weight and maneuverable, but won't break the bank and the purpose of these stands will be to be left permanently in the woods at my better spots so I want them to be the best balance of affordability and light-weight/easy to transport. My plan would be to carry my climbing sticks in and out, but leave the stand.

Third, what do you think the best climbing sticks are when it comes to light weight and portability?

What do you guys think?

15-Apr-17
Don't have one personally, but i like the looks of hawk stands. You would probably want the helium.

15-Apr-17
I would sure take a look at the Twisted Timber Dominator stands. They are just a bit pricey. I just bought 1 for a friend that did me a huge favor. I think they are 24" x 30". Hang in just about any tree. I think they only weight 10 1/2 pounds. I liked it so much that I think I am going to buy me one.

15-Apr-17
Ike, I had a thread on this very topic last month. Ill see if I can dig it up. Got lots of great feedback.

15-Apr-17
Chippewa wedge-loc and make yourself some home made brackets. Scooby

15-Apr-17

TODDY's Link
I use this stand. I carry it with me IN my backpack. Only a few pounds, no clanging, can sit all day. I do lash Lone Wolf Steps to my pack to climb. I can sit in a much smaller and much larger tree than most stands. $$ well spent and I really like it! TODDY

15-Apr-17
Dang Toddy I'm in the wrong business if people are willing to pay prices like that. Go to a rock climbing shop and save yourself a ton.

Get a lonewolf assault with the bat wing on it and you can get in any tree with a little practice. Any lite weight stick will do, there's not much difference any more. Practice with the sticks and stand and you will find out the climber is not needed. Use the money saved by not getting a climber and invest in a good pack for hauling everything comfortably.

15-Apr-17

ohiohunter's Link
I've never used these but they look pretty slick, I'm sure there are other companies that offer something similar.

15-Apr-17
The muddy stands and sticks are great for mobile setups. I have a pile of sportsmans guide hang one, the price is great but they are fairly heavy. Just as good or better than the mid range stands I've had.

15-Apr-17
The Lone Wolf Assault works well for me. I think XOP makes one that is....similar.

15-Apr-17
Lone wolf sticks and stand for your lightweight carrier. Any knd of sand for your hang in and leave setups. Just replace cables wth chain. 4 or 5 lone wolf sticks will be all you need for every setup. Ike, be careful. Had a friend fall moving a hang on stand yesterday. Broke his neck and his pelvis. Climbing belt when hanging every time. Be careful and God Bless

15-Apr-17
I have refined my setup to contain a Lone Wolf and 3-4 sticks and like it

16-Apr-17
If you can find one, the LocOn Windwalker is extremely light and very portable.

16-Apr-17
I too use 4 LW sticks but have found the Chippewa stands to be much easier to hang and take with me when I head out. Shawn

16-Apr-17
Ike, lots of options here but to simply what others have said get a set of 3-4 aluminum packable sticks along with an aluminum light weight stand. My total setup weighs around 18 lbs with three Leverage brand sticks, two screw ins and a Gorilla 9lb stand. Lone Wolf, Muddy, Millennium and Twisted Timber are great options. For versatility, Twisted Timber is hard to beat in a stand.

16-Apr-17
The problem with the Lonewolf sticks is that some of these oaks I'm looking at need to go from one bough to another. I'm thinking the Muddy Sticks would be better for that. Has anyone used them? They look like they'd spin like a propeller when you step on the top of them.

17-Apr-17

Franzen's Link
Here is Jaquomo's thread.

17-Apr-17
Sometimes more important than packing weight is how well you can get them to pack horizontally so the sticks aren't progressively farther from your back. The LW climber packs very flat if you were to go the climber route.

Here in the east through the mid-west I think the sticks are a good option for hang-ons.

If you can penetrate the trees the screw in steps by Cranford EZ Climb are sometimes helpful in addition to the sticks or sometimes in place of. I have a loc-on Limit that i have a bag of screw in steps strapped to that is great when I have to go someplace thick where my agility is important. I hate having something far from my back and above my head. Tight to the back and not sticking too far up or down is important for climbing or maneuvering. The steps that strap to the tree individually are a bit of a pain.

Something else to consider is if you are going to leave a set-up in a tree and you are looking at longer sits, you might go the receiver route (like the Millennium) and just set some sticks up with the stand receiver. ...and then you can buy a more comfortable stand that you could carry from set-up to set-up; climb up, drop it in the receiver and hunt.

3 miles is a long way to tote a stand for morning sits.

18-Apr-17
buy a 12ft ladder stand , put some ballbearing wheels , small from lawnmower , you can use stand as a cart for your gear . A cart will help with long walks and give you easy game removal .

18-Apr-17
Some of the areas I'm going, there's no trail and it's up dry creek beds with tons of boulders. It needs to be on my back. A ladder stand would be a good option in one place I scouted though, I'll have to consider that.

Candor, the area is only oak trees - I'm guessing screw-ins would be tough.

18-Apr-17
If you go with the Cranford, they work fine for me with oaks. I have used them on water oaks and hickories with relative ease. A water oak is what i use when testing a self tapping screw for anything I use when I hunt. They have a very smooth bark which is difficult for most screws to bite into... However the Cranford does a great job. While I haven't used them in every tree in the US, they have never failed me. I use the single piece and the step that has the single fold on it. I am very cautious going up or down if the steps have any sort of moisture on them.

The difference between say an Ameristep and the Cranford is night and day. I will use the Ameristep on permanent set-ups where I can use a starter spike but not on anything that requires any sort of speed or energy efficiency. Also- if you decide to go the sticks route, check out this guy's video (the 2nd one). He has a nice gadget (stick talons) for attaching the sticks to the side of the hang-on stand that I plan to order shortly.

18-Apr-17
I agree with Candor on the EZY screw in steps vs the others. I've screwed them in locust trees as well as hickories and oaks with ease. A leather glove can help save a little wear and tear on your hand too.

19-Apr-17
If you are going with climbing sticks the millinium is light weight. I prefer them for the added safety factor of being on my own in the mountains. Good luck with your hunt!

19-Apr-17
If t-roy says they screw in to a honey locust with ease, they will screw in to about anything short of iron wood.

19-Apr-17
Everyone's comfort and experience in climbing and sitting stands is different. Based on my experience I would use a very light portable hang-on and screw in spikes. Minimal weight, no carrying bulk and spikes allow you to work with existing healthy limbs. Many will call this risky but if I have at least three of my four limbs secured at all times I'm good. That said go back to my first sentence and do what your comfortable with. Your odds are good when you hunt from above like a hawk. C

19-Apr-17
I've got some River's Edge Grip Rails that I like. A little more room for your foot, you step into the center instead of off to the side. They are less expensive, but they're not as light or compact.

• Sitka Gear