Pyrannah 15-Apr-17
Ucsdryder 15-Apr-17
ElkNut1 15-Apr-17
David A. 16-Apr-17
TD 17-Apr-17
Jim B 17-Apr-17
Jim B 17-Apr-17
15-Apr-17
Hey, all! I just ordered a new KME broadhead sharpener that should be arriving shortly. I plan on using it to put a wicked sharp edge on my 150 grain magnus 2 blade stingers. I have sandpaper in various grits from 220 all the way up to 2000. I was planning on starting out with the 220 to 400 grit stuff and progressing to finer stuff. Will sandpaper work well for sharpening these heads or will I be better off springing some money fro some quality stones? If you did use sandpaper, what grits would you start on, and where would you finish? Does stropping on cardboard give you pretty good results, or would I be better off getting a good strop and some compound? Thanks for any help you might be able to give me with this. I'm kind of a sharpening noob. I followed the "poor man's broadhead tutorial" that was posted on this forum awhile ago, and I had fair results, but I found it was tricky to keep a consistent angle using the binder clip to hold the head in. This is where the KME should really come in handy. Oh, one more question. Approximately what angle would you sharpen the 2 blade stingers at? I'm thinking somewhere between 22 and 25 degrees?

15-Apr-17
Just follow the KME directions and you'll do just fine. Great sharpening system.

15-Apr-17
KME is a great system. I have the knife sharpener as well as the BH sharpener.

I shoot Stingers also. But I for the most part use the knife sharpener. About angle. Run a sharpie on the edge of the dull blade. You want sharpening surface parallel to edge. (Which you can see easily) Somewhere around 22 deg is where I end up. The last hint above is what elevated my heads from sharp to insanely sharp.

I do strop the blades on leather block for finishing touch. (With yellow compound)

15-Apr-17
Just get the Rada knife sharpener for a few bucks. Strop if you want, but the Rada is awesome and much better than similar looking sharpeners. I have KME and don't use it.

15-Apr-17
i have both as well, i prefer the kme by far...

i use stones for best results. ive tried sand paper but didnt work well for me though...

good luck man, have fun

15-Apr-17
I used the smith with the 2 little teeth then stropped. It seems sharp but I'm not sure how to tell sharp from really sharp from scary sharp. It'll take the hair off my arm as well as a new razor and catches on my finger nail even at the shallowest angles. I tried the rubber band test but every rubber band was a little different and thus different results. It seemed subjective. Any other ideas?

15-Apr-17
KME, it's incredible! You want the knife sharpener not the broadhead sharpener, that way you can sharpen hunting knives, broadheads & kitchen knives until razor sharp! I've had a couple for years, best sharpener I've owned!

ElkNut1

16-Apr-17
Paul, try the Rada knife sharpener. You can get it on Amazon for under $10. Nothing faster and works on almost anything. No other wheelie sharpener can compare to it. I have a KME and will be glad to sell it.

17-Apr-17
Doesn't KME make some diamond inserts as well? Once you use the diamonds likely never use any stones again, they "cut" far better and they keep their shape pretty much forever. Just wash them now and then to "unclog" the diamonds.

IMO the Rada and other carbide type sharpeners do not truly sharpen in the traditional sense, but rather "reshape" or "reform" the edge, similar to a steel, but faster. They remove wire edges that have rolled, etc. If not too dull they can work pretty well.

17-Apr-17

Jim B's embedded Photo
Jim B's embedded Photo
I use the KME and wet or dry sandpaper on a flat surface.It's all you need and the paper will last longer than you think.As refined as the bevel is on Stingers,I wouldn't use 220,unless you have serious nicks.You could probably start with 600 or finer.I go all the way through to 2000,then strop.

17-Apr-17
http://www.singlebevelbroadheads.com/Honing%20the%20Tuffhead.html

• Sitka Gear