Contributors to this thread:
WV Mountaineer 15-Apr-17
WapitiBob 16-Apr-17
bad karma 16-Apr-17
oldgoat 16-Apr-17
oldgoat 16-Apr-17
elkstabber 18-Apr-17
15-Apr-17
Looking for experience on the Kifaru Apollo. I need a day pack that has the ability to carry a days gear and a whole deboned deer. But, I don't need 3000 ci pack to do that. Which is why I really like the looks of the Apollo. I'm primarily a whitetail deer hunter that packs in daily any where from 1.5 to 3 or 4 miles and, I need a pack to be able to do the return trip with meat. I don't need a spotter or, much of the essential out west gear that goes with glassing work or, water filtration for the type hunts I do the most. I just need a food, layered clothing pack with hauler capabilities.

My question is how broad and tall is the Apollo? I have no concerns with the duplex frame as it seems to be the one which all others are compared. I just wander about the bag. Can one hunt with it in brush easy enough? Does it stick up over a 24 inch frame much? Will it carry two layers of top clothes, food, water bladder, bino's, and kill stuff. It's a big investment and, I want to get it right the first time.

Any suggestions besides this would be appreciated. God Bless men

16-Apr-17
A guide lid and a gen II meat bag would probably do what you want. I use that or a 750 cube light long pocket and the gen II. Day gear and hauls an Antelope.

16-Apr-17
Call them and speak to Frank Peralta. I have a very close relationship with the Kifaru folks, and they are more than happy to answer your questions. Patrick Smith, the owner, is a dear friend of mine. If you don't get Frank, talk to Aron Snyder, who is also happy to help.

16-Apr-17

oldgoat's embedded Photo
oldgoat's embedded Photo
My wife has one, between the meat shelf and bag it would do it, but it would be very very tight! I think the Woodsman would be a better choice, Apollo is very narrow! If the picture posts, you can see a Guide Lid pretty much covers up the whole pack.

16-Apr-17

oldgoat's embedded Photo
oldgoat's embedded Photo
And it's on a 22" frame in the both pics, and like was said above, call Kifaru, they are literally world reknown for their customer service. Other thing, is they have a 30 day return window, might cost you shipping back, not sure.

18-Apr-17
WVMountaineer - as you know I used an ILBE for a while but have since upgraded to a Kifaru. It's a lot more comfortable. I looked at the Apollo and the Tahr bags and finally settled on the Tahr. I like the flexibility of the Tahr. It's a simple bag that you can compress or fill way up to 4000+ cu in. Kifaru seems very conservative on their sizes because the Tahr seems way bigger than 3400 cu in. It will easily fit the gear needed to hunt elk in warm weather for 4 days/3 nights and still just barely go over the top of a 24" frame. With more food, of course, it would fill up taller. I packed out a deboned whitetail last fall and the meat seemed to only fill up about 1/3 of the bag, so I tightened the bottom strap in order to close off the bottom of the bag so the weight was positioned high and tight against the frame. If you packed meat out with an Apollo the weight would go out away from your back. If you pack meat with a Tahr the weight would stay close to your back and go up, which carries a lot better.

• Sitka Gear