r-man 16-Apr-17
Barrera 16-Apr-17
JTreeman 16-Apr-17
Bowboy 16-Apr-17
IdyllwildArcher 16-Apr-17
Bowboy 16-Apr-17
BULELK1 17-Apr-17
16-Apr-17
How many of you use or have used a hip quiver for hunting? What hip Quivers did you find to be the most convenient? Was debating trying one this year. Thanks

16-Apr-17
I've used the same 4-arrow Vista for the past 7 years. You have to get used to it and you'll lose some arrows in thick brush till you get used to it. I keep para cord tied around all but one arrow and the quiver to keep them in. I like the Vista because a quick snap at the thigh and snap at the belt and it's off and in my hand for stalking/crawling. Not as fast on the redraw as a bow quiver, but I like not having the extra wt on my bow and being able to set my bow down on that side without worrying about damaging my arrows. I'll never use a bow mounted quiver.

In the stand, I take it off and clip it on the arm of the stand.

16-Apr-17
For a hip quiver, consider a sidewinder with a bow quiver attached. The Sidewinder rotates, so you can change the angle. Darn good product, invented by a close friend of mine. Good luck. Bohning bought the design, as I recall.

16-Apr-17
I switched to a hip quiver many years ago. The added weight to the side of the bow screws with the balance... cost me an elk one year because I forgot to re sight in after installing the bow quiver. A few disadvantages to a bow quiver over a bow quiver, but the accuracy benefit far out weighs the cons in my mind.

16-Apr-17
I like a Selway. Holds six arrows and holds real well. I like to use a fletch bonnet so the arrows aren't noticed as much.

16-Apr-17
I have an old Chuck Adams arrow holster. I use it out west. I would rather the weight be on my legs than on my bow.

16-Apr-17
I'll be the lone voice of dissent. I used an original Trautman hip quiver for around 20yrs. Although it certainly had some advantages over a bow quiver, there were a couple things I simply got tired of dealing with. With the string being tied around my leg just above the knee, it would irritate me to no end. I also didn't like the way the hood kept filling up with pine needles, rain, and snow. I tried different things to keep it from happening, but that was an even bigger pain.

Obviously many people swear by them, but the only swearing I did was AT it. ;-)

16-Apr-17
Wyobull, I don't use the string tie down I use a n elastic cord with a plastic slider tensioner and they it don't have to be cinched down tight. A lot more comfortable, but a tie down is necessary.

16-Apr-17
When using a side quiver I use a Sidewinder with a Kwikee Kwiver adapter and a 3 or 6 arrow Kwikee Kwiver.

This setup works well for me and utilizes full use of Kwikee on bow or hip.

16-Apr-17
Ben, I tried different things but it just didn't matter. That constant rubbing against my leg got more than a little annoying. Glad it works for you.

16-Apr-17
I use a hip style in line one , of which I swing around to my back on a shoulder strap . this keeps it lower then a back Q. and higher then a hip and out of my way .

16-Apr-17
Good info guys and appreciate the info. I've always used a bow quiver but might try a hip this year. I like the idea of the sidewinder as the quiver can interchange easily in the field.

16-Apr-17
When I first started bowhunting I used a Vista hip quiver for 3-4 years. Because I wanted to be Chuck of course! I had some of the same issues, leg strap bothered me, filled with junk, lost arrows, etc. finally went to the bowmounted quiver. I find it hard to beat my tight spot. Only real disadvantage I regularly see is the additional wind catch from the vanes on my bow.

--Jim

16-Apr-17
I use an old Trautman hip quiver that a Kwikee 4 arrow attaches too. Been using it for 33yrs plus love it. They don't make them any more. There easy to make for any one who does leather work.

16-Apr-17
The leg strap has never been an issue with me. It helps to wear a below-the-knee gator so that your pants don't bunch up. Also, it's key, for me at least, that the belt level be attached behind the typical belt loop that you'd think. The anterior superior illiac spine (you can google it to see where it is) is the part of the hip bone that sticks out in front and to the sides of your abdomen that rubs on your backpack hip belt when you're carrying a lot of weight. It's basically at the west-by-southwest and east-by-southeast from your bellybutton. You want the belt part of the quiver to be behind it, just a little behind you on the edge of your ass. Or else the thigh attachment seems to be an issue and your arrows will hit your elbow as you walk.

16-Apr-17

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Here's a picture. It detaches easily from the hip quiver.

17-Apr-17
I moved mine from my hip to the non-draw side of my backpack.

Works great and not annoying anymore.

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear