Ishy Isomer 31-Jul-17
geoffp 02-Aug-17
SBH 02-Aug-17
geoffp 12-Aug-17
Quick Draw 1 13-Aug-17
geoffp 15-Aug-17
Kurt 18-Aug-17
16-Apr-17
In late December of 2014 I sat in my kitchen contemplating on making the move to book an archery Dall sheep hunt. After a bit of wrestling with it, it came down to, “I’m going to do this, but when?” As most sheep hunts require top physical condition, I figured who knows what my health will be in 5 or 10 years from now? So, the call was made and the hunt was booked.

Fast forward to today, April 16, 2017. I sat on the beach, while vacationing with my family, and realized I was now T minus 90 days and counting, as my departure flight was booked for July 17. Looking out into the ocean, I sat thinking about all that has led up to it, and curious about what’s to come.

Something drew me to get on my computer and start to write about it. At a minimum, I can look back years from now and relive it a bit. Or, even better, I can pay forward to others, what I’ve learned through the experience, and through the generosity of those who have helped along the way.

My hunt will be with Nahanni Butte Outfitters and take place in the Northwest Territory. I am 44 years old (will be 45 at time of hunt). The long road of anticipation is winding down to what will soon become reality. Personally, this is a huge deal. Not just another hunt for this Massachusetts native, whose experiences are limited to Whitetail, Black Bear, Elk, Turkey and African Plains Game. Nothing close to this type of mountain adventure. If you want to follow along, Great! If not, that’s OK too!

First, and foremost: Thanks to those that have shared their experiences and knowledge, which have and continue to help me down the path in front of me.

When hunt time comes, I’ll keep a daily log and share those day for day, after I return from my trip. Until then, I’ll be sharing some of what I’ve learned along the way, what my gear plans are, my fitness regimen, and perhaps some other miscellaneous stuff that no one cares about.

More to come. - Geoff P.

16-Apr-17
Looking forward to it. You'll have an adventure, that's for sure.

16-Apr-17
Congratulations! Looking forward to the story!

Make sure to take lots and lots of pictures!

16-Apr-17
Geoff, We look forward to following along on your journey!

Stay laser beam focussed on your training (weighted backpack in your mountain boots on hills), your practice shooting (absolutely the most contorted/uncomfortable angled shots you can dream up) and your undeniable positive mental state of mind!

Pinch yourself every morning as you tell yourself that you are hunting sheep in one of the most unspoiled wildernesses in the world (breathtaking views included)!!

Good luck, you are going to do great!!!

Mark

16-Apr-17
Best of luck to you. Hope you are successful. Looking forward to reading your story and also seeing a ton of pictures! Be safe. May the bowhunting Gods smile upon you & your adventure!

16-Apr-17
I look forward to following your journey....

17-Apr-17
Did my Nahanni, Dall hunt in 2005 at age 52. If you have any questions send a pm or we can meet at Reedy's Archery in Middleboro, Ma to discuss.

"Take a trip of a lifetime every year"!

17-Apr-17
My dall sheep hunt is one of my favorite adventures to date. I think about that trip at least a couple times a week. Enjoy every bit of your trip from preparation to the story telling after. Good luck. http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=422534&forum=12

Gene

17-Apr-17
Has been on my to do bucket list for years, but too late now; older and out of $$$.

Glad to live it through your hunt. my best, Paul

17-Apr-17
Gene- Read your story above. Great stuff! Thank you!

17-Apr-17
Geoff,

Most of what I can offer is in that story, but let me know if I can help you with your preparations. Gene

17-Apr-17
Can't wait to hear about it Geoff! Let me know if you have any questions.

17-Apr-17
Good luck, man. You'll love it.

17-Apr-17
I will be following this. Good luck!

17-Apr-17
I'm jealous!

Good luck, what are you doing for a workout routine, and just as important what does your nutrition look like?

17-Apr-17
One of the reasons I follow bowsite is to go on hunts from my computer thanks for taking me along good luck sir!

17-Apr-17
Two rifle hunts for fall 30 years ago was to young and dumb to fathom the enormity of the event. Rejoice and exalt at every phase and step in the process for every aspect in retrospect will contribute to this monumental event. I have only one regret and that was passing on the bow. Even though I most likely will never embark again to the hunt white sheep with the golden horns I now know that I was truly blessed to even go at all. You my friend are in rarified company to get the opportunity to hunny this regal animal in the scenic granduer that they inhabit. I will follow closely.

17-Apr-17

JM's embedded Photo
JM's embedded Photo
Hunting Dall sheep with Nahanni Butte outfitters was one of my favorite hunts, I will be looking forward to following your hunt.

It is a physical hunt and it sounds like you are already preparing your physical conditioning. In July the weather can go from Sunny and hot to rain and even snow so you need prepared for that. A good angle compensating rangefinder is a must and the country is open so shots may be a little longer than you are used to shooting on your previous hunts.

This hunt requires a lot of patience and the country can be a little imposing but remember to stay optimistic and have fun.

John

17-Apr-17

JM's embedded Photo
JM's embedded Photo
This is what the country looks like, I think Medicinemann took the picture. John

17-Apr-17

Treeline's embedded Photo
Treeline's embedded Photo
My hunt was just a little north of there at Ganna River. Here's what you are looking for.

17-Apr-17
Geoff, Again, good luck on the hunt! It is coming up quickly! You will be up there before you know it. Nothing better than anticipating a sheep hunt, until you are there within bow range of a full curl! Kurt

18-Apr-17
In for the read.., best of luck!

18-Apr-17
Now you have me on a 90 day countdown. I'll be following! Best of luck!!!

18-Apr-17
Great idea. I go to the ukon in August so it will be fun to compare notes. Just booked my flights this morning. My heart rate and blood pressure changed and I'm giddy like a kid on Christmas morning.

18-Apr-17
Best of luck, take lots of pics.

19-Apr-17
Good Luck! Will be following along, T-95 Days myself!

23-Apr-17
Looking forward to your story. I've got a Stone hunt booked for August and am interested in your workout routine and gear list. Can't wait!

23-Apr-17
Wow this great to start stroy before the hunt. Talk about going out on a ledge. Most stories you read one knows the outcome before start. But wow here he puts in down as it unfolds, come what may, family, travel, weather, mountains, game availablity, health. You go, with all of Bowsite pulling for ya, no matter what!

>>>>------>

23-Apr-17
Looking forward to fallowing along. Good luck!!

24-Apr-17
Man, I am ready to come out of my skin! Can't thank you all enough. Before I post my final gear list, I would get some thoughts on spotting scope. I am a separate thread on this now, called "Need Guidance on Spotter" in this Sheep forum. Thanks, again!

24-Apr-17
Geoffp, it'll be an adventure that leaves you wanting to go back again. My first trip to NWT was also a July hunt. You could expect any kind of weather....might be warm and humid with swarms of mosquitos one day, to something like this which happened to us the last week in July! Didn't last long, but glad we were prepared. Good luck to you man!

24-Apr-17
Looking forward to following along and enjoying your success Geoff! Thank you for sharing it with us! Best of luck to you!

25-Apr-17
POST 2 - FITNESS PLAN Disclaimer: If you are hoping to see something spectacular or revolutionary here, let me start by saying “you will be disappointed!” My regimen is challenged with a family, full time work, plus a second job I recently launched with some associates, which I work on nights and weekends. (Having said that, it would be irresponsible of me not to plug it. So, it is Outdoor Vision (www.outdoorvisiongear.com) - Initial launch with just a few products, made by us in the USA. More in the works, and advertising on Bowsite coming soon. Moving forward……

I am 44 years old (will be 45 at time of hunt). I weigh 150 lbs and am 5’5” (Told my wife I was 5’10” when I met her and 5 years later, she realized I was lying……..no sh*t, true story).

Essentially, I’m going to get in whatever I can, whenever I can. I will have no idea if I am in the shape I need to be in, until AFTER the hunt (answer will likely be a resounding “not”). I have read that you can prepare, but you just cannot simulate sheep hunting, so I will plan for the worst, and hope for the best. Most of what my plan includes is: - Run at least 3 miles, 2X/week (adding in 12-16 lbs in form of weighted vest) - Free weights, 3X/week (each muscle group) - Treadmill at full incline, with my hiking boots on and 40 lb weighted vest, 2X/week for 45-60 min. Yes, I get some strange looks, but who the h*ll cares? I'm already married.... - Hike on trails with pack load at 50-60 lbs (1X/week), 1 – 2 hrs - In between all of this and when I can fit in, I will add hikes with load and runs with weighted vest, and try VERY hard to get in some extended hikes with load 2 hrs+

Unless we move base camp though, my hunt will entail going back and forth to a base tent each time out, so I will only be packing the necessities (rain gear, maybe insulation, optics, camera, food, water, bow). All in, the daily pack weight will be approx. 20 lbs., so I’m doubling this in the weighted work-outs shown above.

Also note - I have been working out at the gym (mostly just weights) for 20 years. Over the past couple of years I have added in running 2-3 miles, 3X/week and treadmill at full incline 2X/week. Point here is that I am not starting out at 0.

In closing on the fitness part, I realize the duration of these workouts are far less than ideal, but as I initially stated, I simply do not have the ability to do 3, or 4 our hikes, etc. on a weekly basis. Many of these are at the gym and either before work or on my lunch break. So, at times, I only have an hour-ish to get it done.

There you have it. Like I said....not very exciting. Sorry!

25-Apr-17
VERY exciting Geoff. You'll get there. One always wonders if it is enough and it rarely is, but the more you can do, the better. Keep at it and you will be fine. Best of luck. Can't wait to hear about the adventure.

25-Apr-17
A Dall Sheep hunt has always been the hunt I hope to make. For now, I will vicariously tag along and thank you for that. Safe hunt...........Dave.......

25-Apr-17
I went on my first sheep hunt at 49 and in dismal shape. Far overweight. 40 mile allowed 50 lbs and since I was alone I took an extra military pad, bivy sack, and polar fleece sleeping bag liner to keep with me at all times. 14 days alone, lost 17 lbs.

Two things that made it possible were an escalator style stair machine and abductor and adductor machines which probably saved my life.

You will be surprised at how much patience will play a part in success. Also, if you are willing to sleep out away from base camp, you can extend your range quite a bit.

I've tried 5 times to kill a Dall with my longbow and never sent an arrow. Been within 6o yards a half dozen or more times, 25 twice. Regardless of the result of your hunt, it's a great experience and I doubt it will be your only trip. Have a great time.

25-Apr-17
You're going to be fine Geoff - you already have the right attitude. Keep us posted!

25-Apr-17
A question and an observation.

What does the weight training do for you? I've read a lot of 'sheep shape' workouts that include weights, but I'm not sure what the weight training does for you. I can see core work for stability and strength, but pumping iron has baffled me.

The weight vest is a good addition but it spreads the weight over a larger area of your shoulder, not like your pack straps that are relatively narrow. While I agree with the vest on runs, why not get your shoulders in 'condition' with the pack whenever you can?

Looking forward to your adventure and hope it all comes together for you.

25-Apr-17
JDM - As far as weights, I have always lifted weights so whether it helps or not it is something I will always do. I agree on the core stuff. And, on the weighted vest, this thing actuallly hangs on my shoulders. The entire load is on them, more than I actually want, as it becomes a bit uncomfortable after 20 mins or so. My pack is much more comfortable, as it shares to load over my hips and back. And, when I am hiking outside the gym, I will always go with the pack. Thanks for the comments/input.

26-Apr-17
I have been lucky to have gone on several mountain hunts. No matter how good of shape that I think that I am in before the hunt, about an hour into the hunt, I wish that i had done more to prepare!

07-May-17
POST 3 - Shooting/Practice Midnight here, everyone's asleep. Good time for an update!

Given the workouts, work, family, real life stuff, etc., I’m not left with much in the day. BUT, what good is any of the prep if you’re not rock solid in shooting your bow. What I have learned over the past month or so is to MAKE IT SIMPLE. By this I mean, make the process and effort of shooting simple. To elaborate:

We have a small balcony off of our master bedroom. I keep my bow next to my bed (yes, you heard that right), next to the sliding door to the balcony. I have a path cut out through the woods to 80 yards. I shoot over the yard, over the driveway and into the woods where one of my targets is, on the lower side of my property. Every morning when I wake up, I step out onto the balcony and shoot 8 arrows. When I return home in the evening, I stop in the driveway, run down and grab my arrows. Then, I walk in the house, say high to the wife and son, go up into my bedroom, and shoot the 8 arrows again. Takes very little time, but, it allows me to shoot EVERY day 2X (minimum). The point is; if it’s a time consuming, cumbersome process, to get my gear, setup, etc., I just wouldn't be able to do it as much. So…..I keep it simple.....in arms reach. It has made a big difference.

Based on the input from some of you, I add challenge to this by shooting off a small step ladder, varying my footing. I also shoot some closer shots from the opposite direction, which are steeper downward angles. And, from time to time, and on weekends, I will do some oddball shooting here and there.

The Mental Part When not shooting, every now and then, I envision the shot. I picture it in my mind. I go through the motion, see the animal through my site, imagine the release, and KNOW that I WILL hit my target. I recently started to read the book “With Winning in Mind” by Lanny Bassham, which essentially discusses how imagining winning and knowing you will succeed can help in actually winning (in this case, killing a sheep). Simply put, I no longer talk myself out of it with thoughts like “Don’t screw this up” or “I hope I don’t miss”, because I will miss.

Instead, thoughts are “I am going to launch a perfect arrow and kill the animal”, or “I know this, been here, going to get it done”. For many of you, this part may not mean a heck of a lot. For me, it’s a BIG deal. I have ALWAYS had a problem with maintaining composure and my shooting form in the heat of the moment. The adrenalin, excitement, etc. just breaks me down. So, for me, this is an important piece of the training. Who knows...could end up being the MOST important part.

OK…..will be back next with my gear list!

07-May-17
Keep at it! You have the right mind set right now. You might also want to run in place for a few minutes or do some push-ups right before you shoot, this my help since your shot opportunity my be quick after a exerting hike.

07-May-17
The shooting is only a small part of the overall hunt. Important, but you likely are more than ready for the shooting part now. Maybe work on shooting from sitting position, getting a second shot off as quickly as possible under pressure, off-side shooting, etc.

Since you are on the east coast, you are probably not able to get to mountains anywhere close. Try to find a tall building with a stairwell or a set of football bleachers. Start hitting the stairs on a regular basis and work on those leg muscles and lungs. Add a backpack and increase the load week to week. Do it with your hunting clothes and boots so you get everything set and you are comfortable in that gear.

You will have an awesome hunt.

08-May-17
This is great. Please keep numbering your posts !

15-May-17
POST 4 - GEAR LIST Going to talk about my gear in this post. As I have never been on a sheep hunt, my list is based on input from others, my own research & preferences, and in some cases cost. Trying to make the best of it, balancing weight, performance and cost. So….here we go:

Clothing Base Layers - Peloton & Merino – 2 of each long sleeve and short sleeve Mid Layer Top - Merino (mid weight) zip-off long johns – 1 pair Mid layer Bottom - SITKA – 1 top Jacket – KUIU Chinook Pants – KUIU Tiburon Pants Insulation – Ultralight down, vest, jacket, pants (I absolutely HATE to be cold. These weigh very little, and frankly, when it comes to being warm, I don't care what it weighs) Rain Gear – Ultralight Teton rain jacket & pants Socks – wool, 4 pairs Merino underwear – 4 pairs Boots – Lowa Tibet Hunter (I bought the Bighorn Hunter GTX G3, but don’t think I need the insulation for a late July hunt, so I’m shedding the weight) Gaiters – Outdoor Vision Balaclava (Sitka) – Like I said.....I hate to be cold Lightweight gloves – 1 pair Waterproof gloves – 1 pair, KUIU Yukon Pro Mosquito mesh jacket - Coghlan’s, off of Amazon Lightweight camo boonie (or baseball hat) Croc slip-ons (for camp & travel) Optics/Camera/Electronics/Harnesses - Binos – Vortex Razor HD 10X42 - Spotting Scope - Swarovski 20-60X65mm - Rangefinder – Nikon Arrow ID 5000 - Tripod – Vortex Summit SS-P - Bino Harness – Outdoor Vision RIDGETOP harness - Rangefinder Pouch – Outdoor Vision SIGHTLINE pouch (hooks to RIDGETOP Bino Harness) - Camera – Sony A6000 (I am not a photographer, but this takes nice pics for an average bozo....a.k.a. me) - Novagrade digiscoping adapter - Battery pack, 12000mAh (might upgrade to something closer to 15-20000). Want to make sure I have enough juice for my camera. - Satellite phone (will leave at camp) - Primarily to keep in touch with family & work - iPhone - On the fence about bringing a GoPro. I really don't want take away from my focus, but having video would be quite nice, eh? Glad to hear feedback on this. Sleep System - NeoAir Xtherm sleeping pad - Enlightened Equipment Quilt (0-degree) - Sea to Summit Aeros Ultralight Pillow

Pack - Icon Pro 5200 w/hip pockets - Bow holder - Rain cover - Dry bags (4 different sizes for clothes/electronics)

Other - LEKI Carbon Vario trekking poles - Outdoor Edge Razor-Blaze knife - Princeton Tec headlamp -Sunglasses (lightweight Oakley) - TOAKS Titanium “Spork” (spoon/fork combo) - TOAKS Titanium cup 450ml cup - (1) liter size collapsible water bottle - (1) liter size hydration bladder - Ear plugs (for sleeping) - 2 packs of wipes (for when the stink really starts to get nasty) - Tylenol PM (I use these frequently at home to help sleep. Can’t begin to image how much worse it will be with visions of sheep dancing in my head!!) - Advil - Tumeric pills (supposedly helps w/inflammation) - Deodorant - Small travel sunscreen - Small bugspray - Meat bag/s (not sure what kind yet). Yes, that’s right meat bags. For the most part I eat what I kill. The thought of eating sheep loin from one that I killed myself in the middle of nowhere, just makes me all giddy. I’m bringing some meat back, if I have to stick it in my pockets!

All in, I am at about 33 lbs (not including my bows, which I will talk about in next post).

As for total weight of items I will pack out each day while hunting, I am at about 23 lbs, which includes pack, spotter, tripod, camera & digiscope adapter, binos & rangefinder, trekking poles, water, food, raingear, down, gloves, balaclava, knife, headlamp, cup, spork, mosquito net, bug spray and sunglasses.

If there is anything glaring, glad to hear feedback. Wheels up in 8 weeks, 1 day, 19-1/2 hours!

15-May-17
Looks like a lot of clothes and you could probably cut back on the boots. The weather should be pretty nice in July.

I could have cut my clothes down on my hunt.

I had Sitka, First Light and King of the Mountain on my hunt. The Sitka synthetic started stinking really quick. First Light stuff was awesome and I wore it for quite a few days with no stink. I had a KOM shirt, vest and hat that was all I needed for warmth. Probably could have gone the whole hunt with just the First Light and King of the Mountain.

The KOM stuff is bulky and heavy. I would probably not take it again. A good puffy down jacket is probably a better choice.

The merino long johns are a life saver - would take 3 pairs of those and only change out if they get wet.

Good wool socks are also a necessity. Probably 3 pairs of those to trade out if you get in over the top of your boots.

Take two good pair of boots - wear one in and have one packed.

A good set of gaiters can help keep the water out of your boots - at least for a quick dunk.

Take extra headlamps. 3 would be good to have. Pretty sketchy when you find out your guide's light doesn't work with a griz on the side of the hill above you packing out in the dark...

Not sure if you will need to worry about bugs that much. The sun screen could probably go as well and just wear that boonie to keep the sun off.

Take a good duffle and a plastic tote. If you pack it right, you can get most all of your gear in the tote going up - Check your bow case and tote going up. I cut out the bow case by using a takedown longbow packed in my duffle.

Pack your cape, horns, and meat in the tote and insulate with some dirty clothes and sleeping bag coming back - Check the tote, duffle, and bow case (Jeez I really appreciate my takedown longbow for this kind of hunt!!!!).

If you also kill a caribou on the return trip, you'll end up checking the antlers as well (that can be very entertaining getting home!!) (Yikes, and with a big compound bow case you end up with lots of extra bag fees!). You will want to have the whole rack protected with cardboard and wrapped with tape to keep from damaging it. Don't cut the skull-plate if you want to score it for P&Y.

You are going to have lots of fun!

15-May-17
Treeline...He only lists one pair of boots. I can't IMAGINE hauling two pair of boots on a sheep hunt.

15-May-17
It looks like 4 pairs of boots in the list!

I was definitely thankful that I had 2 pairs on my hunt (wore one pair and had one in my gear). Got soaked crossing a creek and it was sure nice to have a dry pair...

Backpacking is different, but if crossing any streams, I would want waders instead!

15-May-17
I think that's 4 pair of underwear. This forum really raises heck with lists. Weight is huge on a hunt like this, IF you are having to backpack. For stream crossings, I just wear my camp shoes. (especially early season) I used to bring "Wiggies", but their durability is suspect, and in most cases left them behind after the hunt. I've been on several mountain hunts in my lifetime and never once did I wish I had hauled an extra pair of boots. And THREE headlamps? I'm sorry Treeline, I don't mean to be harsh on your recommendations but to me those two items (extra boots and 2 extra headlamps) are just plain wasted weight.

15-May-17
Treeline, you must have sherpas along on your hunts:)!

One pair of well broken in boots and one headlamp (with lithiums).

Mark

15-May-17
Yea, this was a formatted list that apparently went haywire when I posted it. It is a jumbled up mess now. I will see if I can't fix it. But, yes, I did have one pair of boots and one headlamp on the list.

15-May-17
I went with horses!

I was sure glad to have a dry pair of boots!

I was glad to have extra headlamps in my pack when my guide and another hunter didn't have anything and we had to pack a caribou out in the dark with a grizzly bear just up the hill above us as well!

Pretty sure I could have outrun the other hunter, but also sure my guide would have outrun me...and the horses!

15-May-17
Been on a few mountain archery hunts, lucky enough to have hunted sheep 3x, plus goat and Mt Caribou. It's hard, you'll suffer. The more you train, the less you'll suffer, but you will suffer.

The key to all of it, to having a good time, to being safe, and to finding success, its all about attitude. Someone much smarter than me once said "the only real disability in life is a bad attitude". Fat guys kill rams and athletes get broken and quit. It's all about attitude.

I promise there will be a time in your hunt when you say to yourself "what the hell am I doing here?" When that happens, try to stay focused on how lucky you are just being there. Forget a dead ram, forget the pain and discomfort, just live in the moment, each and every moment that you're on the hill. Because I promise it will all be over so fast and you'll be back in your comfy home and your heart will still be in the mountains. And that's when you will suffer most.

Good luck, hope you kill a big honkin ram, but most of all, I hope you appreciate the privledge...

15-May-17
Great post Chris...

16-May-17
Chris X 2

16-May-17
Chris hit it on the head right there. That's the truth.

16-May-17
POST 4 - GEAR LIST, REPOSTED (FORMAT WENT HAYWIRE IN FIRST POST, MAKING IT VERY HARD TO DECIPHER) - HOPE THIS WORKS

Going to talk about my gear in this post. As I have never been on a sheep hunt, my list is based on input from others, my own research & preferences, and in some cases cost. Trying to make the best of it, balancing weight, performance and cost. So….here we go: Clothing Base Layers - Peloton & Merino – 2 of each long sleeve and short sleeve Mid Layer Top - SITKA (mid weight) Zip-off merino long johns – 1 pair Jacket – KUIU Chinook Pants - KUIU Tiburon Insulation – Ultralight down, vest, jacket, pants (I absolutely HATE to be cold. These weigh very little, and frankly, when it comes to being warm, I don't care what it weighs) Rain Gear – Ultralight Teton rain jacket & pants Socks – wool, 4 pairs Merino underwear – 4 pairs Boots - Lowa Tibet Hunter (I bought the Bighorn Hunter GTX G3, but don’t think I need the insulation for a late July hunt, so I’m shedding the weight) Gaiters – Outdoor Vision Balaclava (Sitka) – Like I said.....I hate to be cold Lightweight gloves – 1 pair Waterproof gloves – 1 pair, KUIU Yukon Pro Mosquito mesh jacket - Coghlan’s, off of Amazon Lightweight camo boonie (or baseball hat) Croc slip-ons (for camp & travel)

Optics/Camera/Electronics/Harnesses Binos – Vortex Razor HD 10X42 Spotting Scope - Swarovski 20-60X65mm Rangefinder – Nikon Arrow ID 5000 Tripod – Vortex Summit SS-P Bino Harness – Outdoor Vision RIDGETOP harness Rangefinder Pouch – Outdoor Vision SIGHTLINE pouch (hooks to RIDGETOP Bino Harness) Camera – Sony A6000 (I am not a photographer, but this takes nice pics for an average bozo....a.k.a. me) Novagrade digiscoping adapter Battery pack, 12000mAh (might upgrade to something closer to 15-20000). Want to make sure I have enough juice for my camera Satellite phone (will leave at camp) - PROBABLY changing this to an InReach (Primarily to keep in touch with family & work iPhone - On the fence about bringing a GoPro. I really don't want take away from my focus, but having video would be quite nice, eh? Glad to hear feedback on this.

Sleep System NeoAir Xtherm sleeping pad Enlightened Equipment Quilt (0-degree) Sea to Summit Aeros Ultralight Pillow

Pack Icon Pro 5200 w/hip pockets Bow holder Rain cover Dry bags (4 different sizes for clothes/electronics)

Other LEKI Carbon Vario trekking poles Outdoor Edge Razor-Blaze knife Princeton Tec headlamp Sunglasses (lightweight Oakley) TOAKS Titanium “Spork” (spoon/fork combo) TOAKS Titanium cup 450ml cup (1) liter size collapsible water bottle, (1) liter size hydration bladder Ear plugs (for sleeping) 2 packs of wipes (for when the stink really starts to get nasty) Tylenol PM (I use these frequently at home to help sleep. Can’t begin to image how much worse it will be with visions of sheep dancing in my head!!) Advil Tumeric pills (supposedly helps w/inflammation) Deodorant Small travel sunscreen Small bugspray Meat bag/s (not sure what kind yet). Yes, that’s right meat bags. For the most part I eat what I kill. The thought of eating sheep loin from one that I killed myself in the middle of nowhere, just makes me all giddy. I’m bringing some meat back, if I have to stick it in my pockets!

All in, I am at about 33 lbs (not including my bows, which I will talk about in next post).

As for total weight of items I will pack out each day while hunting, I am at about 23 lbs, which includes pack, spotter, tripod, camera & digiscope adapter, binos & rangefinder, trekking poles, water, food, raingear, down, gloves, balaclava, knife, headlamp, cup, spork, mosquito net, bug spray and sunglasses.

If there is anything glaring, glad to hear feedback. Wheels up in 8 weeks, 1 day, 19-1/2 hours!

16-May-17
Well......that was a waste of time. All jumbled again. Sorry, guys, but apparently the forum will not accept a "list".

16-May-17
Very well said Chris...spot on!!

Those very thoughts went through my head on my first sheep hunt......and now I am planning my 7th!

Mark

16-May-17
"I promise it will all be over so fast and you'll be back in your comfy home and your heart will still be in the mountains. And that's when you will suffer most."

For a sheep hunter, truer words have never been said!

After 4 sheep hunts on my own and double that number with other guys sheep hunting, not sure I have ever hit that point of asking myself , "what the hell am I doing here?" though. Love every second of my time in the mountains hunting sheep, no matter how much it hurts!

16-May-17
Busta'Ribs - I love it man. Thank you very much for that. I may cut part of that out and paste on my wall. A privilege indeed and I can't believe that I am actually going to be going on this hunt. The excitement, preparation, and commitment leading up to it may just be as exciting for me.

16-May-17
Best of luck! I am headed out on my first sheep hunt this October at age 52. Now or never I guess. I drew a Chugach Archery Tag (14C). Coastal Alaska in October, I suppose I will get the full effect of the suffering part.... Please keep us up to date on your prep progress.

20-May-17
I haven't received the Robe. Please track where it is.

Extremely frustrated by this horrible service.

Pam Vanatta

20-May-17
All of a sudden this thread has an "eBay/Amazon" feel to it...

20-May-17
Good luck and it's not necessary to say "have a great time!" because you will.

Just a couple of small tips:

We call it a "comfort" pack. Put unscented baby wipes in a small Ziploc, anti-bacterial wipes in a small Zip-loc bag, and half sheets of quality paper towel in another Ziploc bag. When your hands are cold and wet, toilet paper just won't stand up. Staying clean is far more comfortable than trying to treat the mud-butt symptoms.

And the spork. The worst of two tools in one! Get a long handled titanium spoon. Long enough to eat Mountain House out of the bag without having to roll the bag down or get your fingers inside. You don't want to be licking MH off your fingers, especially if you have ignored the comfort pack advice. If you think you need a fork to, then buy one of those also.

Wear a high quality Merino base layer and you can ditch some of your extra clothes. I will wear the same clothes, everyday for ten days. One change of merino base layers and wash in a stream. Same for socks. I wear a very light wool liner and a midweight wool hiker. Rinse and hang to dry. It's usually windy enough in sheep country to dry them fast.

Use very good raingear and put it on BEFORE you get wet. You don't need a lot of extra clothes if what you wear stays dry. You only need enough clothes to layer up for temperatures. You can't beat down, but it has to stay dry. Have one lightweight, hooded windproof outer jacket.

20-May-17
First of all, I'm really looking forward to following your hunt, geoffp! Best wishes to you on your great adventure!

Second, I know next to nothing about this type of hunt, so I apologize if this is a dumb question. Is the spotting scope necessary? I'm assuming the guide will also have one. Looks like dropping it out would save considerable weight for you. Also, any type of first aid kit, or does the guide provide that?

20-May-17
I didn't bring a spotting scope because the guide had one. 10 power binocs only for me.

We also had an encounter with a grizzly while packing my sheep back to spike camp. Surprised me that grizzlies would be that high up. Guess he liked the smell of sheep meat:)

22-May-17
I realize the guide will have a spotter, but for me, it will be part of the experience to do some of my own glassing and to digiscope. And, for that, I really don't want to be asking the guide to use his every time. I can always leave at the tent if desired.

Ambush - thanks for the tips!

22-May-17
Spot on advice Ambush.

22-May-17
Right on Chris! Geoff - I have been rained on, frozen and walked half to death but the hardest day I ever spent sheep hunting was weathered in my tent. The mental battle is crazy. Enjoy all of it!

22-May-17
Right on Chris! Geoff - I have been rained on, frozen and walked half to death but the hardest day I ever spent sheep hunting was weathered in my tent. The mental battle is crazy. Enjoy all of it!

23-May-17
Bowsite is the best thing going for someone with questions about a hunt like this. You just can't get all this truly good advice anywhere else. Love this site!

23-May-17
This hunt has always been on my bucket list but I will live it through your's now. Looking forward to it for sure.

Shooting practice? Multi arrow practice is good BUT it may be getting close to the time to just shoot ONE arrow to duplicate the actual hunt. One in the morning and one in the evening. This should reveal if you are ready or not as you know, it is this one action that will make or break the hunt when the ram is within your effective range. ONE ARROW. My best, Paul

23-May-17
Forgot to mention the Bubble. Get into the habit of checking your sight bubble!!

Check the bubble when you first settle into your anchor and then one more time before you pull the trigger.

If you have some steep hills, practice coming to full draw and holding at all different angles up, across and down. It will help, even if you don't shoot. You'll also find out any form problems that might result from uneven footing.

23-May-17
All these great tips. My brain is almost out of space! Thanks so much everyone.

OK - I have a BIG QUESTION for those who may have hunted with Lancaster. I am now filling out my tag form. IF for some odd reason I were to kill a sheep early in the hunt, and IF I wanted to relocate to hunt goats or caribou..........which do you suggest?!?! One other member here had suggested goats is a better chance. Honestly, a mountain goat is on my bucket list, BUT, I would love to hunt either, if given the opportunity. Any thoughts?

23-May-17
Go for the goat. You need a guide to hunt them in AK and don't for a caribou. You could always go back for a caribou/moose combo on your own in the future.

23-May-17
Mackenzie Mts in NWT are Mountain Caribou versus Alaska with Barren Ground. They have some whoppers up in that range. Whatever excites you more and fits the wallet would be my choice! But as a bowhunter I would focus on Dalls and hope for a bonus, unless you get super lucky like Treeline did with his Gana River hunt.

23-May-17
I am hoping for a chance to hunt mountain caribou myself this year--if the sheep tag is filled. The Mackenzie mountains have some MONSTER caribou! And with mtn caribou hunts costing what they do now and caribou herds all over struggling, I would say look hard at caribou. A goat hunt is awesome, but can be done many places for a reasonable price. Good luck on whichever you choose! Look at it this way: if you get to hunt something else, that means you have killed a sheep! You will be a winner either way

23-May-17
Forget about a 2nd animal and concentrate on a ram. You know all the fun you are having getting ready and doing your prep/research (like this thread) for your sheep hunt? Well, you'll miss all of that fun preparing for your Mt goat or Mt caribou hunt if you kill one on your sheep hunt.

Plus, the odds of taking two mountain animals on one hunt with a bow is astronomical.

Buy whatever add'l tags you can afford, just in case you get super lucky and kill really early in the hunt, but focus on the ram. The goat and caribou are separate adventures.

30-May-17
POST 5 - Workout Update

Hey guys - Figured I give a little update. Frankly, I am not where I want to be at this point in time. My wife had shoulder surgery a month ago, so I have had quite a bit of double duty. I am just over 6 weeks out and adding in more hikes with weighted pack (55 lbs) on a good hill that is about 1 mile up, so (up and down, 2 miles), shooting for 3X/week, along with weights and running 3 miles, for the other 2-3 days a week. Again.....work, family, etc. Just focusing on what is most impactful for the opportunity I get. I.e. since I cannot hike on my lunch break, I will run. When I can't run or lift at lunch, I will bring my boots and pack and hit the hill after work, etc. Working to get a session in 6 days/week.

Thanks again for all of your tips, encouragement and motivation!

30-May-17
Sounds like you are doing great! Keep it up and be careful!

30-May-17
Keep after it man. Whatever you do now will be better than not. Any work you get in is helpful later. There's a difference between being in 'shape' and being in 'condition'. 30-45 days out transition to conditioning as best you can.

30-May-17
Best of luck to you sir. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. We will all be tuned in and rooting for you.

31-May-17
Thanks for the memories as I almost forgot about the 2.5 straight days stuck in the tent with snow, rain and fog and my 21 year old guide playing Game boy for hours on end:) The cramping muscles, physical strain and mosquitos are about 35% of the struggle but I'd say 65% of your success will be determined by your mental attitude. I do remember thinking more than once during my time in the Liard range that my archery dall goal was not humanly possible. Never give up! The guides rifle is for bear protection:)

31-May-17
If you have a positive mental attitude and persistence, you'll be fine. Everything else is just a challenge to be dealt with.....

01-Jun-17
Wow Geoff ! Geoff has been my hunting partner and great friend for very long time . First trout on fly line, first buck, first turkey , first Elk all experienced together. This year our hunts will take us in very different directions as he pursue sheep and I make my second pursuit at Brown Bear on Alaska Peninsula . We all have that special hunting partner that brings greater joy in their success than our own and Geoff is that person to me. What is most impressive and reason for my post is the amazing support, kindness , generosity of members of this site that not only shared priceless knowledge and experience but offered equipment, invitation of hospitality along his journey in pursuit of once in life time hunt . I can only say WOW! to all bowhunting colleges that share passion and common bond of pursuit of game with bow and arrow that though this common ground of bowhunting treat someone they never met as that special hunting partner they have known entire life. This is part of bow hunting no one see's or understands and has nothing to do with taking of game. Truly amazing.

21-Jun-17
Geoff - I went on this same hunt last year and am happy to discuss. Here are some of my thoughts.

You will fly into base camp and be assigned a cabin to park your gear in. Stow all of your gear there. If the weather is good, they will fly you out to your camp that afternoon. You will eat lunch at base camp and will take dinner with you. Eat a good meal as it is dehydrated meals hereafter. Have all of your gear packed and ready to go -meaning already have all of it in your pack or another duffle. It is best if you already have your gear ready to pack in the chopper and go. That way, you can spend time shooting your bow at base camp and talking with Clay, Jim, possibly Stan and the guides. You will be transported directly to your tent site via the chopper. It is not necessary that all of your gear be packed into your pack. You could put some in a small duffle bag. Don't worry too much about the weight of your gear. I watched every ounce but it was unnecessary. Not to say you can take 100 pounds, but this is not a pack-in hunt. The chopper will fly you directly to your tent camp. You will not be hiking with any gear on your back to set up your camp. Their chopper pilot for the past 2 years has been a guy from BC who owns his own shopper flight school. Very nice guy who takes great care of his chopper. He is also very talented flying it. One of the cleanest choppers I've flown in.

One suggestion is to bring a small archery target. Grizz targets in Alberta makes a very goo small target (Backpacker Super Light) 12"x12"x2.2". Cam Foss writes about using it on his hunts. I used it last year and it worked well. Just hang the target from you hiking pole to allow the target to swing once shot. It helped pass the time when I was stuck in the tent for 2.5 days because of rain/fog.

Don't worry about having multiple headlights. It is light most of the day. It is only dark from 1:30 AM until 4:30 AM in the morning. We hiked back to camp one evening from 10 PM until 1:30 AM without using a headlamp I had in my pack and I was able to see just fine. On that note, an eye mask helps block the light and helps for going to sleep when it is still light out if you are not on a ram.

Have an honest conversation with your guide on day 1 about your desire to kill the ram with your bow. When I was there, 5 out of 7 hunters were rifle hunters. 4 killed on the first day. the other archer wounded his on day 1 and killed it with a rifle on day 2. The other rifle hunter killed his on day 2. I went to the last day and killed my with a rifle on the last day as the rams caught our wind and were about to leave the country.

I run a couple of full length Ironman triathlons and know a little bit about endurance nutrition. I brought powdered electrolyte mix (EFS Electrolyte Powder Drink) for drinking during the day and a recovery drink before bed (Endurox R4 recovery). The Endurox has glutamine, which great helps cell recovery. I strongly suggest both of these for your trip. Make up ziplock baggies full of one serving. You can grab a days worth from your stash in your tent and put in your pack each day.

On that note, I brought all of my food with me from the US, which is something you may want to consider instead of eating Mountain House and crapping orange for a week. I ate Heather's choice breakfast and dinners, which are very good. It is a very good dehydrated backcountry meal from Alaska. Higher protein than Mountain House, organic ingredients and less weight per package. And the packages are half the size of a Mountain House package. I used ziplock gallon sized bags to organize my food for each day. I had a zip lock bag full of food for each day so I would just grab a bag and go. I didn't have to think about it on the mountain. Each bag contained a Heather's choice breakfast and dinner, macadamia nut/cashew m&m/raisin mix, tuna in foil packs, triscuits, Justin peanut butter, Justin chocolate/peanut butter cup, Pro Bar Meal, honey stinger waffles, olive oil, EFS Elctrolyte Mix and Endurox R4 recovery. I would eat about 4000 calories on 6 mile hiking days with about 3000' vertical and about 1700 calories on days when I was shut down in the tent because of rain/fog. (We are about the same size). Bring an empty Gatorade plastic bottle or sports bottle to mix drinks. Make up single use ziplock baggies of toilet paper and bring a package of antibacterial wet wipes.

When you kill one, I'd recommend that you bring the horns and hide back with you in a duffle bag on the flight. It will save you $600 of transportation cost that the taxidermist charges.

Practice shooting steep uphill and downhill shots with different footing/stances/kneeling, etc.

Bring your own angle compensating rangefinder. It is also good to bring an second one to loan to your guide.

Bring a spotting scope. You are simply more engaged in the hunt if you are both looking through scopes and talking about what you are both seeing. The guide can also teach you about judging, rams, sheep, etc. when you are both looking through the scopes.

Use merino wool base layers. They don't stink at all. Poly stinks bad in one day.

Use a poly liner sock and lightweight wool sock. Cabelas sells a lightweight wool sock with x-static silver coated thread. Silver is the most effective natural antimicrobial. The socks have very little smell, even after 5 days of use.

I used all Kuiu gear and can answer any questions you have on it for your particular hunt. I brought my Kuiu down pants, jacket and vest. I used a 30 degree bag and had the down jacket and pantts if I needed for sleeping, and never did. I used the down garments as a pillow at night.

Practice shooting as far as you are comfortable. I took my mountain caribou with a 56 yard shot after missing him on my first shot when he took a step at 74 yards.

Most guys tip around $1,000 or more per guide.

I'm sure I left something out and would be happy to answer any questions you've got. Shoot me a PM.

21-Jun-17
Would you recommend taking one or two pairs of boots on this hunt?

21-Jun-17
Waterdawg or "* *", whichever you prefer to be called,

Very nice rundown of what to expect. Anything you wish you would have done differently going into or on the hunt?

Any pics of the hunt you can share?

21-Jun-17
Good run down H2O dog! Nice to read about your do's and do not's. Thanks for posting!

22-Jun-17

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
View from spike camp!
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
View from spike camp!
Similar to my my experience. If you don't want to use the guides rifle tell him right from the get go! They generally only "assign" one bow hunter a year to each guide seeing its much harder. Good stuff.

Waterdawg: Is Jason Nutani still guiding for Nahanni? He was/is a fantastic guide.

22-Jun-17
I second the recommendation of taking TWO angle compensation range finders. Give one to the guide and keep one. If the guide can give you a range that is great and one less movement needed when getting ready to shoot. However, if you are stalking and get separated, it is imperative that you have a rangefinder with you. Good Luck.

22-Jun-17
Charlie...Jason is not guiding for Nahanni. You're right, he is a fantastic Guide though.

26-Jun-17
Bring two pairs of boots. You can wear a pair in the chopper and fly the other pair in your duffle bag. I personally only wore my Scarpa Charmoz and left my Schnee Granites in camp. I brought a second set of insoles with me on the mountain but never used them. I've also never had any foot issues in my life.

I wouldn't change anything, except I would have taken the shot on my ram and just guessed the yardage. He would be dead and would be larger than my 159 I shot with the rifle on the last day. No worries, I'll just go on another archery dall hunt sometime.

02-Jul-17
A few years ago I posted that I was going on my first true backpack/ mountain hunt at age 58. A goat hunt with Bolen and Lewis. Having couple dozen archery elk hunts plus many other hunts I really thought I knew most of what I needed. Wrong. Some of the same guys helping Geoff here also gave me sage and positive advice. Now at age 62 and about to go on my first sheep hunt ( archery Dalls/NWT) I looked in on this post and tadow! ....same great guys giving great advice. Bowsite is great when it is used as intended, good guys (and gals) helping like minded souls and genuinely happy to do so. On my goat hunt I got great advice from men I don't know. Ambush sticks out in my mind. Prior to booking this sheep hunt got delightful advice from Medicineman (Jake) , cajunarcher, Rob Register and Sticksnder. Their advice spot on greatly appreciated and fun to listen to. One of my favorite posts of all time is that in this blog of Busta ribs(Chris?) , applies to life in general. I have re read several posts of others so it will sink in. My take home message 1. I feel inadequate seeing the tenacity, focus and expertise of others here 2. Going to step up my training ( I actually stay fit year round but this is next level) 3. I am one of the lucky SOB's to get this chance at any time, much less this late in life and I will enjoy every moment 4. I will be grateful no matter what 5. II will never, ever , tell my wife what this costs but will tell her a thousand times how much I appreciate her tolerance of my addiction 6. If it turns out interesting enough to post the story here I will. Rolled the dice and going with Griz Turner who bought out Redstone. It his his first year and that is alwatys a risk The late buy out created an opportunity for someone like me who cannot wait much longer to go now. 7. Damn H2O dawg, somebody needs to put your post in the all time great advice/summary posts. Can shorten the learning curve for hunts in Canada in general

02-Jul-17
Two weeks until go time. How about an update?

03-Jul-17
OK, Charlie. Here is an update, as I leave 2 weeks from today! Somebody pinch me........

I am still at it. Hitting the gym, running, and some weighted hikes. As I stated in my previous post, it is NOT as much as I'd like to, but doing as much as I can, when I can. Trying to keep the peace at home, with work, etc.

I am still tweaking gear 2+ years into this journey. My wife thinks I'm a lunatic. She tells people, "he's been out in the garage fondling his stuff for over a year now?!" Of course, she could not possibly understand the infatuation of hunting sheep, which has come over me. I see sheep everywhere I look. A beautiful, curvy woman walks by me, and what do I see.......a sheep, high up in the mountains! Is something wrong with me??

I have gone several rounds of certain items, fine tuning. Some of the updated items include a SLIK Mini II tripod, Sitka Mountain Pants and 90% Jacket, long handled titanium spoon (thanks Ambush). I've also trimmed down some on overall qty of clothing.

Let me say, that you guys have helped me HUGE. I was away on business recently in TX and was able to have dinner with Alan M. who I met here on Bowsite, and who has also helped me along with way. I cannot express my gratitude to each of you for the time spent on guiding me down the path ahead. I am rich with new friendships.

I plan on getting at least one more post out before wheels up! All the best - Geoff

03-Jul-17
I am one year behind you. Same outfitter and goal. July of 2018 will be my chance. This thread has helped me too with many ideas and eye openings of where I need to be physically. Would love to talk to you post hunt and pick your brain for what went well and more precisely what I need to be ready for.

03-Jul-17
Thanks for the updates, can't wait for the pictures to start rolling in good luck and be safe!

04-Jul-17
Love this!

04-Jul-17
Good Luck!

These kinds of hunts are really special. You will have an awesome time!

Take tons of pictures! Of everything, every last detail... You will not regret it.

05-Jul-17
A few years ago I posted that I was going on my first true backpack/ mountain hunt at age 58. A goat hunt with Bolen and Lewis. Having couple dozen archery elk hunts plus many other hunts I really thought I knew most of what I needed. Wrong. Some of the same guys helping Geoff here also gave me sage and positive advice. Now at age 62 and about to go on my first sheep hunt ( archery Dalls/NWT) I looked in on this post and tadow! ....same great guys giving great advice. Bowsite is great when it is used as intended, good guys (and gals) helping like minded souls and genuinely happy to do so. On my goat hunt I got great advice from men I don't know. Ambush sticks out in my mind. Prior to booking this sheep hunt got delightful advice from Medicineman (Jake) , cajunarcher, Rob Register and Sticksnder. Their advice spot on greatly appreciated and fun to listen to. One of my favorite posts of all time is that in this blog of Busta ribs(Chris?) , applies to life in general. I have re read several posts of others so it will sink in. My take home message 1. I feel inadequate seeing the tenacity, focus and expertise of others here 2. Going to step up my training ( I actually stay fit year round but this is next level) 3. I am one of the lucky SOB's to get this chance at any time, much less this late in life and I will enjoy every moment 4. I will be grateful no matter what 5. II will never, ever , tell my wife what this costs but will tell her a thousand times how much I appreciate her tolerance of my addiction 6. If it turns out interesting enough to post the story here I will. Rolled the dice and going with Griz Turner who bought out Redstone. It his his first year and that is alwatys a risk The late buy out created an opportunity for someone like me who cannot wait much longer to go now. 7. Damn H2O dawg, somebody needs to put your post in the all time great advice/summary posts. Can shorten the learning curve for hunts in Canada in general

05-Jul-17
Albert, good luck on your Dall hunt! Enjoy it to the max and hope you get a nice one! Kurt

05-Jul-17
Thanks Kurt! Decided to go all in an bought the combo with mountain caribou as well. Really excited for this one. Hope it is fun enough to post.

06-Jul-17
Thanks Kurt! Decided to go all in an bought the combo with mountain caribou as well. Really excited for this one. Hope it is fun enough to post.

06-Jul-17
Several guys on this thread that are going sheep hunting!

Congratulations and good luck to all of you guys!

LOTS OF PICTURES!!!

06-Jul-17
Will be following this one, good luck. Hope to do this hunt myself in the future.

06-Jul-17
This thread is great! Best of luck to you on your hunt, I'm as excited as ever for August to get here. Mtn Goat first and then off to chase Dalls.

07-Jul-17
Good luck look forward to hearing about your hunt.

07-Jul-17
May your arrow fly true and enjoy every single second !

09-Jul-17
Added a little twist to my training Geoff that I like. No hills here in LA (I am at sea level on Mobile Bay) so getting good quad workout is hard. Tallest building an hour away and they don't like strangers with backpacks. So in addition to my routine of leg presses, hip adductor/abductor , hip extension and hamstring curls and stairmaster I now do a lunge and shoot routine. With full backpack I start at my target and do lunges in my boots to 20 yds and drop an arrow . I then go to 30,40,50 and 60 dropping arrows and doing lunges the whole way. Then I shoot from 60 and do lunges all the way in to the target shooting as I go. Repeat it a few times with slight changes. It's a variation of a workout someone posted earlier and it kicks my butt. Really hard to shoot when breathing that hard My apologies for double posts (twice!) earlier. Just excited I guess. Leave in two weeks

12-Jul-17
How many days until you leave?

12-Jul-17
How many days until you leave?

13-Jul-17
GOOD LUCK! Savor every moment.

13-Jul-17
Go get'em Geoff!

Make everyday a new day, no matter what happened the day before. It can just as easily come together in the last hour as the first.

Take some blunts or G5 small game heads and shoot your bow several times a day as you hike along. Marmot hole dirt piles and grass hummocks make good targets to simulate real hunting shots. Up, down and across.

13-Jul-17
I'm excited to have something to add to this thread... It is probably obvious but just in case...

Be sure to taper your training. You are really excited and want to work out. But at this point, it really does more harm than good. Do a few light workouts to stay in the game but really cut back on everything else. You want to arrive fully rested and ready to go.

This is standard practice for marathoners...

13-Jul-17
Leaving Monday!!!!! Thanks again to EVERYONE! You will all be coming along for the ride in spirit. Please NOTE....just because I don't comment on your post, it doesn't mean I have not read it, and taken something from it. ALL posts from you guys have helped me in one way or another. Again, thank you all.

16-Jul-17
Good luck Jeff. You'll be fine and Chris really nailed it. He does things like that. I'd leave the spotter at home as the binos will find sheep and the spotter is only used for evaluation.

17-Jul-17
Good luck, shoot straight, and stay safe!

17-Jul-17
Keep a positive, persistent mindset and good luck.......

17-Jul-17

geoffp's embedded Photo
geoffp's embedded Photo
Just boarded flight 1. And away we go!

17-Jul-17
Good luck!

17-Jul-17
Good luck! Been waiting on this one for a while. Hunting sheep is one of my dream hunts but will probably never happen so I will just enjoy your story

17-Jul-17
Safe travels bud. Good luck!

17-Jul-17
Best of luck and above all, enjoy yourself!

17-Jul-17
Enjoy your wilderness adventure, take a million pics and we look forward to your hero pics (and story) upon your return!!!

Mark

17-Jul-17
Good luck and safe hunt.....

17-Jul-17
Good luck and safe travels!

18-Jul-17
At base camp. Bow never showed up in Ft Simpson......WTF. It is going to be on a flight tonight from Edmonton to Yellowknife then to Ft Simpson tomorrow AM to arrive at Noon. Will go back and pick up, and plan to be on mountain tomorrow evening. As my friend Alan McGraw told me prior to leaving. Something WILL go wrong. Just have to look past it and keep pressing on. And he was right! Gonna roll with it.

18-Jul-17
A positive attitude.....that's the ticket!!

18-Jul-17
Get the bad stuff over right out of the gate. Jake is so right it's all between the ears now. Good luck!!

18-Jul-17
Dang Geoff, hope it turns around for you ASAP!

What airlines lost the bow?

Good luck from here on out!

19-Jul-17
Had the same thing happen to me on a sheep hunt a few years ago. Never got angry or down at any point. Just remain calm, stay positive and manage through the challenge. Keep in mind that this is no routine excursion and things will go wrong. Its how you address the challenge that makes a difference.

19-Jul-17
Great attitude Geoff. Cant wait to here the outcome of your hunt.

20-Jul-17
I had start will end with a great hunt!!!! I almost bought a double bow case for my back up bow. Then your situation came to mind. Now, I have two separate bow cases!!!

20-Jul-17

geoffp's embedded Photo
geoffp's embedded Photo
Guys. Holy f*ck. I can't believe I made it back to tent alive today. Never dreamed it would be this hard. Terrain unexplainable. Spotted some rams today but weather was too foggy and some rain. Sat for 6 hrs waiting glassing on and off, then headed back to camp. Honestly, I cannot believe the mountains I scaled. 2x what I thought was going to be. One slip and nice knowing you. These are all rams in this pick I took through my spotter. 2 are shooters of the 11 we saw in this band. Going to go back and try and find them tomorrow pending weather. I have service on and off from tower in Nahanni Butte. Will update as I can.

21-Jul-17
Cool photo! Hope the weather gives you a break and you get a good stalk in tomorrow ! Rain and fog are all part of the adventure! Good luck Geoff! Shoot straight!

21-Jul-17
Keep the updates coming! Exciting start.

21-Jul-17
If I wasnt nervous already now I am for sure!!!

21-Jul-17
Best of luck, hopefully they give you an opportunity today!

21-Jul-17
Update: Sheep were nowhere to be found today. Logged 10 hrs of the nastiest terrain I have ever experienced. Saw 5 grizzlies, sow w/3 Cubs and 1 w/1 cub. 1 got to about 250 yards out. Guide was locked and loaded. It was intense for a few mins (for a flatlander). Fortunately winded us and bolted. We think all the grizzlies pushed the sheep out. Have to say. I am smoked. Scaling rocks, cliffs and sh*t that should not even exist. Actually thought a lot about my family. It was that scary at times (again, for a flatlander). It was more like rock climbing w/no safety equipment. Maybe I'm just a wuss?! Definitely not the place for a guy who hates heights!! Back at it tomorrow.

21-Jul-17
Sounds like you are having lots of fun!

Definitely a hunt that you will remember vividly for the rest of your life!

Enjoy it to the fullest!

Good luck!

22-Jul-17
Keep pushing! Your legs should get used to it soon..... lol Best of luck to you!

22-Jul-17
Geoffp, I call that "Travel legs"

The first day in the mountains, my legs seem to always feel like crap. Just stay AHEAD on your hydration....guzzle a liter first thing in the am and make sure you have access to lots of water all day!

Mark

22-Jul-17
Thickest, wettest fog I've ever seen this morning. Stuck in tent. Can't see 20' in front of you. And some wind. Just went out to "relieve" myself and came back wet and cold. Will have to wait it out.

22-Jul-17
Tent days suck when you want to hunt. But they are just part of the hunt in the mountains of the north. By noon tomorrow, you could be looking desperately for shade.

Always remember, it only takes a minute to actually kill a sheep. Enjoy the ride until that minute comes.

22-Jul-17
Steep terrain, tired legs, fear, rain, fog, cold, tent bound? Sounds like a "typical" sheep hunt to me. Keep at it, be positive and you will find success.

22-Jul-17
Stuck in the tent, rough terrain and Mtn Grizzlies. Pretty much standard stuff so far! Ha Ha! Trust your guide and keep putting one foot in front of the other. 12 years ago when I went there was no communication other than emergency sat phone. Now we get a semi-live sheep hunt from the Liard Mtns:)

22-Jul-17
Tent days rest your legs. You'll be all rested up when the fog lifts! Good luck Geoff!

22-Jul-17

geoffp's embedded Photo
geoffp's embedded Photo
View from tent.......still not looking good for any hunting today :(

22-Jul-17
How's your gear choices stacking up to the weather?

Lying in your bag, on your pad, wide awake for ten hours should give you a good idea how comfy that is.

When the weather breaks, the rams will be just as anxious to get out as you are!

22-Jul-17
This is awesome! Good luck Geoff! Hopefully the fog soup will clear soon.

22-Jul-17
Wishing you all the best luck. There's a lot of dudes sitting at home right now wishing they were you. Keep your chin up & stay positive. Keep us posted, we are living the hunt vicariously through your communication.

22-Jul-17
Crazy you can post right they on the mtn. Best of luck and kill a nice one!! Keep pushing!

22-Jul-17
Sheep will be holed up in that weather as well. Be ready when it breaks! Pretty sure you will have your legs under you better after a day off. Relax and enjoy the break.

22-Jul-17

geoffp's embedded Photo
geoffp's embedded Photo
Ambush - Just to hit on a few: Enlightened Equipment quilt, Neo-Air X-Therm pad, Sea to Summit Aeros pillow Premium. Very happy with them all. Wouldn't change any. My Outdoor Vision Ridgetop bino harness setup has hit all the marks and the titanium Toaks can is perfect for some oatmeal in the AM! And it was you who told me about getting the long handle spoon for the Mountain House meals and ditch the spork. Good call!!!

22-Jul-17
You are starting to look like you are actually sheep hunting! Good luck when that weather breaks tomorrow!

22-Jul-17
Awesome thread. Keep at it and good things will happen. I am jealous just reading about it

23-Jul-17
This is cool! Keep at it and have fun! This is all part of the story now, that ends in a great ram killed!

23-Jul-17
Good luck!!

23-Jul-17
Loving this Geofpp! Thanks for posting. You're living the dream man, enjoy every minute!

23-Jul-17
Good luck!!

23-Jul-17
This really is great!

Lots of hunter's here pulling for you... keep at it!

Good luck .

24-Jul-17
I'm pulling for You! And I'm following this thread, stalker style. Good luck!

24-Jul-17
Just stumbled on your thread Geoff and took the morning to read through it all! Best of luck on the journey and soak it all in. Can't wait to see the end result!

24-Jul-17
Hopefully the weather has passed and the rams are in a stalkable spot for you today!

24-Jul-17
Good luck and thanks for going through the trouble of bringing us along!

26-Jul-17
Guys - here's the deal. I had a great opportunity and made a bad shot and did not recover the animal. Honestly, I just came a bit unglued at the heat of the moment. Searched for a couple days to find him but no luck. Since I drew blood, it was my animal. I can't say enough about Jim Lancaster, his family, his operation, his team, and my guide Brady Lough, who worked his butt off to get me the opportunity of a lifetime. There is no question that I will hunt with him again in the future. A great person and an outstanding guide. It was a very physically and mentally demanding hunt. Much much greater than I ever imagined and there were times I wanted to curl up into a fetal position while on the edge of steep and challenging terrain. But I've learned that this is sheep hunting. Now that I am back at base camp though, I'd do anything to be back up in the mountains hunting these incredible animals again. I will indeed be back to hunt with Nahanni Butte Outfitters. The experience is like no other and there are no words that can explain it. Those who have done it can understand. Once I get back home I will get some pics out. I cannot thank you all enough for coming along on this adventure with me and guiding me along. I feel I let everyone down and have been sick over it. But this is hunting (so I keep trying to convince myself!!!). And, importantly, I've made some new friends. Pics and more to follow on return. All the best, Geoff

26-Jul-17
Geoff,

Keep your spirits up! You gave it your all and learned a lot! You had an awesome experience and it will keep the fire going for a very long time to come.

Tavis

26-Jul-17
Thanks for taking us along and keep after it !

26-Jul-17
Sorry to hear that. It happens sometimes, but the fact you couldn't find him, could/should mean he'll make it. He was probably a dink anyway - cheer up.

26-Jul-17
I respect your candor in posting your result. Archery is a game of inches and disappointment occasionally is a part of why we love it so much. You make sure you keep that positive attitude and hopefully someday soon you'll get back there. It's an amazing experience. Enjoy the balance of your time at the Butte and safe travels. C

26-Jul-17
That's painful to read, so I can imagine what it's like to experience it. Really too bad it turned out that way. But you were into rams and even had a shot opportunity, so you have experienced sheep hunting near it's pinnacle. Only thing better is holding horns. It is for sure a high pressure hunt in all ways. Getting rattled is normal.

Hope you will still write up your adventure and also a gear review. Do's, don'ts and should have's. That's how we all improve our hunting experience.

I already ordered one of the pillows you used.

26-Jul-17
The adventure remains real. You were there. Jealous I am at work right now about to head into another mind-numbing conference call. Congrats on getting out there and chasing the dream!

26-Jul-17
Thank you for taking us on your journey geoff certainly my favorite threads for the year when sheep time rolls around. Sorry it ended how it did we have all "been there " at some point while hunting. Glad you expressed the positives and the desire to get back. My dad and brother were there the same time as you so you helped me follow along on there journey as well. Cheers!

26-Jul-17
Awe man Geoff, sorry to hear that! Heck of a disappointment to be so close and not get to enjoy the final reward.......but it is events like this that draw us back to get it done. Looking forward to some additional photos and text when you get settled back in civilization and have processed the events.

26-Jul-17
Thank you for the honest reporting - it's admirable! Bow hunting, the highest of highs and the lowest of lows.

You made an attempt to do something few try, and gained the respect of a small, but amazing, fraternity. All the best!

26-Jul-17
Chin up there buddy. Look at it this way, next time you'll be better prepared both mentally and physically. You'll know what to expect in all regards and will handle yourself better after this enriching learning experience. This hunt was a great teacher for you, that's a positive. I admire your desire to go back and when it happens I wish you all the best of luck.

26-Jul-17
Sorry to hear that, I feel for you. That is a terrible gut ache that doesn't go away for a long time. Try to focus on all the positives that got you to that point. Great thread, thanks for taking us along.

27-Jul-17
That sucks and am sorry to read it! I appreciate you not sugar coating or making excuses, we've all been there..........maybe not with sheep though. Thank you for this thread, wish it would've turned out different, but every thing happens for a reason. Safe travels home!

29-Jul-17
Dude, being man enough to share the truth in an instance like this makes you okay in my book! Hope we can be reading a sheep success story from in the next years.

31-Jul-17
Thanks a ton for sharing your story..... every bowhunter takes a journey that makes us better.... I am heading to NWT for my first Dall sheep hunt on August 19... no doubt this thread will help me on my quest... thanks again.

02-Aug-17
Guys, I will provide some more pics and info on the hunt. I have just been buried at work since I returned. Bear with me. As I keep telling myself, this was a hunt, a journey, an expedition. Not just a trip to kill something. And for that, I am glad to continue to share my experience.

02-Aug-17
Can't wait to hear about this experience. Sorry you didn't recover but it sounds like you are seeing the big picture well. Looking forward to pics and details.

12-Aug-17
OK. First, I'd like to cover my gear (all IMHO). Hopefully something in all of this helps someone else out. Not going to go crazy here, just want to hit some of the major points.

Pack - KUIU 5200. I love the pockets and organizational features, BUT, to me it was sloppy. Even cinched down, it was shifting around quite a bit. 2 other guys in camp actually brought it up, and I agreed. I did have my bow attached, which likely didn't help. The KUIU bow holder for me was useless. The cam kept coming out. I scrapped it and jammed it in the base pocket, which proved to be MUCH better.

As mentioned earlier, EE quilt, Neo-Air XTherm and Sea2Summit Aeros Premium pillow were great. Sitka Mountain Pants were great. For the warm weather I had they were a bit too heavy, BUT, I was in some NASTY terrain and on my knees a lot, and not so much an abrasion. Really surprised. I was expecting them to be shredded, but they are still like new. KUIU Yukon Pro Gloves - Way too hot. The Guide gloves would have been much better, but the gloves did hold up great in nasty stuff. Good, tough gloves were a must for this hunt. Glad I had them. Spotter & Tripod - Have to say, after day 1 I dumped it. It was all about weight after that initial day. I had my bow on my back, food, water, raingear, extra layers, camera, bino's, rangefinder, first aid kit, and that's it. Only those of you who have done it can understand. The terrain was unexplainable. I was more interested in staying alive and on my feet then glassing & digiscoping. The 4 extra pounds stayed at the tent. Boots - Lowa Tibet GTX were GREAT. No blisters and I cannot tell you how many times I had only an inch of rock to traverse. Those things grabbed and held every time. They were life savers.....literally. Merino Wool Boxers and Socks - True.....they really don't stink after MUCH use. I took 3 pairs of each, but could have got by with 2. Also, the thicker wool socks helped with padding my feet in the boots. Bino Harness & Rangefinder Pouch - Have to say with complete honesty, there is nothing I would change on our Outdoor Vision bino and rangefinder setup. Functionality is really dialed in. Spot-Hogg Fast Eddie XL adjustable sight - I really love this site, but traversing the steep mountains it would sometimes hit the rocks next to me. I use it with the dovetail fully extended. I would still have used it, but man, I had to be very careful, as I did hit it several times (hey, wait, maybe that's why I missed?!?!). Moving on....Another issue was my 10" long stabilizer. It stuck out and wacked the mountain next to me many times. It was cumbersome. I would go w/o one altogether, or a very short one. I had KUIU peleton base top and SITKA mid & 90% jacket - Definitely wore too much in the AM's. I was drenched climbing those mountains. Best to go light in the AM even if you are cold starting out. Does not take long to warm up!

Food & Water - I needed more. I really did not get the calories and water I needed throughout the day. I should have taken more with me each day. Lunches were granola bars, candy bars, trailmix, jerky. Running out of water, which was just about every day, sucked!!! Rationing was not fun.

That's all I can really think of that needs mention. If I missed something or you have a question, please say so. Next post will be on the hunt itself.

13-Aug-17
Geoff- This is great stuff. Especially since I'm literally in the process of packing for the same hunt next week. A good little reminder list to compare to my own. I owe you a phone call to talk Sat Phone, and say thank you. Just been nuts around here trying to get out of town for two weeks. (Just finished a 7 mile fully weighted hike, now back in the office on a Sunday afternoon....) Will be in touch soon. And looking forward to more on the hunt! Alan

15-Aug-17
Alan, Passing on the torch. Now, your time to BRING HOME the gold!

I will get to the next post on the hunt in the next couple of days......hopefully!

18-Aug-17
Geoff, good comments on gear......and now you know why I run a short sight extension that keeps the sight within the profile of the bow as well as never hunting with a stabilizer! Kurt

• Sitka Gear